Completed Weaving Realizations

Amira Starguide teaches Caesi how to Weave a Basket.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Weaving Realizations

Postby Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 1:47 pm

39th, Spring, 516av
Late Morning-

Weaving Realizations

Today Caesi felt lazy, even though there was no time for laziness. Everything stayed travel ready, as her people would move every three to five days. That way the area did not die from all the meadow muffins and over grazing of the various animals. However, Caesi was not feeling up to hunting today, she actually just wanted to laze around in the grass and watch the clouds form different shapes. But she knew she would not get away with that, so instead she decided to walk around, looking as if she was busy doing something. She did not get too far before a member of her Pavilion called out to her, Caesi thought about pretending not to hear her, but turned around before that rude thought was executed. It was Amira Starguide first wife of Cygnus Starguide. She let out a breath, happy she did not disrespect the Story Teller. She was a kind woman who told some of the best stories around the camp fire on some nights.

Caesi strolled over smiling, “Yes Amira, how can I assist you?” the huntress asked of the first wife of the Ankal, glancing down at the bundle of long grasses at her feet.

“Well you did not seem too busy, so I thought you could help me weave a basket or two.” Amira said, her smile was warm, her teeth stark compared to her dark skin color. Well petch... Caesi thought to herself, her lazy day now all but a dream as she sat down on the ground where the bundle of tall grass laid.

“I would be happy to help you Amira, although I have never done this stuff before. Most likely I am just going to ruin your basket, so perhaps I sh-” before Caesi could finish her sentence the woman sat down and put a finger to her lips.

“No excuses, just watch and learn. Weaving is useful for our people. Weaving is not just on a loom to make clothes or blankets, but can be used to make baskets of all different kinds, to hold foods or other items in. Weaving is not only useful but it is relaxing and an art form.” Amira explained to the girl, opening the bundles of grasses, separating them into two piles she laid one beside Caesi and the other beside herself.

Caesi let out a sigh, “Okay I will learn, even if I may never use it.” Her voice was exasperated, knowing she had lost the battle to be lazy today. She stroked the grass, feeling the slightly sticky but soft texture of it. It almost made her cringe a little at the stickiness of it. “Okay so how do we start this?” Caesi asked picking up a long strand of grass.

“Well first you need to watch and learn as I explain.” Amira replied, tsking her slightly and shaking her head, “So quick to get up and go, though you never had anywhere to go to begin with.” The woman's wise eyes meet hers and mirth could be seen dancing in the depths. Caesi almost blushed but quickly laughed it off.

“Wajecki Vokal Amira, I am now not heading no where, instead I am sitting here.” Caesi said, stretching her legs before her and leaning back, “Perhaps this is what I wanted after all.” She could not help but chuckle at the realization. Weaving was a lazy hobby, useful to the Clan, but still lazy.

| Thoughts |
Last edited by Caesi Starguide on April 11th, 2016, 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Credit Goes to Prophet for the beautiful Signature!
Caesi Starguide
Player

Words: 191870
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2016, 9:56 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weaving Realizations

Postby Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Amira shook her head at the girl's behavior, laughing. Her laugh was a hearty laugh, making laugh lines appear on her face. Caesi could not help but smile at the woman, as her laugh was one that made others happy. It was so real and true, happiness pouring out of her soul and making a melody.

“Let us get to learning,” Amira said patting Caesi's leg, “before the sun sinks and we will no longer be able to.” Wiping the laugh tears from her eyes, Amira grabbed four long blades of grass.

“The first thing you need to do, is take one blade, lay it over another blade. You see the X symbol that the blades are making?” Amira asked in a soft voice, looking over at Caesi. Caesi nodded as she observed what the woman was saying. The two blades of grass made an X. With her nod Amira continued working, Caesi watched as the woman brought forth more blades of grass. She weaved them in the other's making one up, then one down, going over and under. The woman kept adding blades of grass, going over and under with ease. Once she stopped it was still an X just thicker and more durable.

“You see how I went over and under, interlacing the blades of grasses and keeping to the X pattern?” Amira asked in a curious tone, still intertwining the blades of grasses as she talked. “Yes I think I get it so far.” Caesi replied, as she continued to watch the woman weave the long blades of grasses together. She observed that as more blades of grasses were added to the X pattern it soon turned into more of a square, like a small mat of grass.

“This will be the bottom of your basket, so you have to make sure it is weaved strong and not loose. That way nothing falls out and its not just a worthless piece of Shyke.” Amira explained smiling, as she continued to go over and under, weaving the grasses into the small square. Caesi watched as the woman turned the square to the side, making it at an angle. “You want to keep it this way to start a pattern for your basket, and I find it to be easy if you turn it as well.” Amira explained, Caesi nodding as she leaned over slightly to get a better look at the basket that was forming before her eyes.

She had to admit that it was a lazy project but also inspiring. A basket that one of the Clan members would use was being made before her eyes, forming out of simple blades of grass. It was a little astounding, but it was the reality of her people. They foraged and crafted things to survive, it was their way.

| Thoughts |
Last edited by Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weaving Realizations

Postby Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Once the square was the size of both of Caesi's hands put together, the woman started to fold the sides, “You want to fold to create edges for the bottom of your basket. If the grass breaks then you will have to start over, they should only bend.” Amira said as the blades of grass folded and bend easily for the woman, once she had the edges of the bottom folded she started to make corners by folding the blades of grass to make the edge more pronounced. Caesi leaned in as she watched her hands smoothly do the work on all four corners. The woman then added blades of grass to each corner, weaving the blades all the way down, securing all four edges. Once she had done that she showed the almost finished basket to Caesi. It was now a small rectangle basket, that looked as if it could carry just about anything.

“Now you take these long shoots of grass at the top and just weave them back into your basket on the outside or inside. Which ever needs more stability.” Amira talked as she weaved the blades of grass on the outside of the basket, “Once you have this done you can make a handle or even weave a lid to keep the basket completely closed, making it more of a picnic basket.” Amira smiled over to Caesi, “Do you think you grasp the basics of Weaving the blades of grass?”

Caesi nodded her head, “Yeah actually I think I do. I thought Weaving was dull, but you make it look fun Amira.” Caesi laughed, hoping the woman did not get offended by her blunt attitude. Caesi never thought that Weaving was a worthy endeavor, just something older woman would do in groups to gossip and pass the day away. But now she can see how it provides for the Clan.

Amira laughed at the girl, nodding her head, “Some young ones do not find the process of Weaving interesting, but I am glad you are seeing the benefits of it now, and how it will help our Clan.” Amira rose from the ground. “I have to go see Cygnus to see how things are going but why don't you stay there and try weaving your own basket?” Amira suggested as she pushed the other bundle of grass towards Caesi. “I will be back in about a bell, if you would like to show it to me.” Caesi nodded her agreement picking up the bundle of grass, “Thank you Amira, I appreciate you teaching me this.” Caesi said with respect. Amira bowed her head and then walked off, going to tend to Cygnus or see if he needed help with anything.

Caesi looked down at the blades of grass, sighing at the daunting task that was now ahead of her. But she could not complain, she wanted a lazy day and she got one, well as lazy a day you can receive in the Sea of Grass.

| Thoughts |
Last edited by Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weaving Realizations

Postby Caesi Starguide on April 7th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Caesi gently picked up the long blades of grass, the stick yet soft texture making her cringe slightly. She was not sure why she did not like the feel of the grass in her hand, it just reminded her of something she could not yet remember. Perhaps something from her childhood but the memory would not surface so she shrugged it off. She began just like Amira had, crossing the blades of grass, making an X formation with them. Grabbing another long strand of grass, she weaved it in, going over and under, up and down. She repeated this with several pieces of grass, interlacing them as Amira had done. Though she was much slower at the task, the sticky feeling of the grass making her a bit nauseous from touching it. After a few chimes, she had finally completed the first task of weaving a basket. She looked down at her work, examining the weave she had done.

Amira's was tightly woven, beautiful interlaced with perfection, where as Caesi's was sloppy looking, bulges appearing in the weave and woven too loose. The girl shrugged and continued on with her weaving, not really concerned with the poor workmanship of the basket. Caesi figured as she went on the better it would look, she just had to get farther into it. When she continued weaving she tried to make the weave more tight, though she was not being very successful at it. Once the matted up thing was big enough, she then proceeded to fold the sides.

Maybe it was the fact that it was not interlaced correctly or perhaps it was because she did not weave it tight enough. Whatever the reason the blades of grass snapped, breaking the base of the would have been basket. Caesi growled with frustration throwing the weaved up mess to the side and crossing her arms.

Yeah, lazy work alright.. This is hard! Caesi thought to herself, sulking like a young child at her failure. What she thought to be a lazy, old lady hobby, was actually more structured and difficult. Caesi was beginning to realize that Weaving was a skill that took time and patience to nurture and grow. Also, that those “old ladies” were more talented then she first thought. Assuming they weaved so they could sit around and gossip was the wrong assumption. They weaved because they were amazing at it, because out of Weaving the Clan received something useful from Semele's earth.

Caesi sat there pondering the finer details of how a simple blade of grass could be so useful to a tribe of people, as time ticked by she realized she had sat there for a long period of time and Amira had yet to return. Gazing at the sun that was on the descent, she wondered if Amira had became too busy to return. She felt a little sad that she was not able to ask her questions about the Weaving disaster she had made, completely failing at her attempt. “Oh well, there is always tomorrow.” Caesi thought to herself with a sigh. Rising up from the ground she dusted the back of her britches off, heading to her tent to check on Nu and Py before laying down for the day.

OOCWord Count: 2104
Personal Challenge: Learning Something New
Thread: 1/2

| Thoughts |

Caesi Starguide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weaving Realizations

Postby Rufio on April 25th, 2016, 11:22 am

lookie lookie
i got a hookie
!

⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙

xp

Socialization +2
Observation +3
Weaving +2

lores

Amira Starguide: A kind & talented story-teller
Weaving: A useful skill & an art-form
Weaving: A basic long-grass basket
Drykas: Foragers & crafters by way of life
Caesi: Doesn't like the feel of long-grass
Frustrations of a weaving disaster!

notes - Good job, really
enjoyable to read!

⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙   ⋙

if you feel i missed anything shoot a pm x please remember to edit your request! ┘

Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)