PM to join The Deluge

Thunderstorms spook cattle but the rain drives the bugs away. Pavilions post sentries to keep the livestock from running off amidst the booming thunder and vivid lightning.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Deluge

Postby Naiya on April 28th, 2016, 11:56 pm

Spring-82nd-516 AV

First the bugs had swamped the city, eating greens and harassing people and animals, now the ground shook with the strength of the storms. Her baby was upset, she could feel her moving around and kicking, expressing her dislike of the loud noise.

Thunder boomed and Naiya had to dive to catch the snow white zibri that tried to dash out into the storm. "Riha, shhh, honey, shhh." She petted the girl's head, trying to soothe her, but when lightning flashed over head she could see wite all the way around the yearling's eyes.

She continued to soothe the creature, running fingers through her damp hair and making soft gentle noises at her. She was able to lead her back to the others, as Kahl brought two other escapees back to the fray of nervous animals. The herding dog was a life saver, and still she was barely managing.

Members of the watch were posted all over, guarding the boundary of the city to help keep animals inside, but any they caught were taken to a large temporary holding to be kept until the weather lessened. The animals would be sorted by satalu once the crisis was over.

The rain fell in large, heavy drops, nearly painful, but when that changed Naiya knew it might be her only chance to get help while the rain gentled. She knew someone who would help, Asarni, the woman who had come to lend a hand in the heat, surely she would help her again. Maybe the woman had already thought of Naiya and was on her way, what a gift that would be.

Naiya paused to tell Seirei what was happening, the young woman and her friend had their hands full with the children, so Naiya was quick.

"The rain seems to be letting up some," good fortune, act fast, "I'm going to fetch help, I don't like how upset the new calves are." Worry, concern, "I'll return quickly."

She turned and left, bare feet splashing mud up across her legs and over her rounding belly. Her mind fell to the blue man, he was an animal handler, perhaps he could lend her a hand as well, and she could ask him on the way to find other help, he was on the way.

She jogged through the city, legs fighting against the slick mud until her breath came in pants, she pushed herself a bit further, only allowing herself to slow after she could see the place of his work.

"Greetings!" She hailed them, shouting over the rain. Seeking help she signed as she neared, saving her voice and her breath, Blue man is here?
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

The Deluge

Postby Quzon on April 29th, 2016, 2:17 am

The Pride appeared to be managing the storm better than most. After all, It was the epicenter that housed most of the city's live stock. Every horseman, animal handler, and herding animal that could be mustered to aid in managing the heard had been called upon to keep the animals under control. Quzon was no exception. He answered the call to action with vigor as he faced down the each challenge the storm had to offer.

He currently held his open left hand out in the face of an Ox, forcing it to remain where it was. ""Stop!" He yelled in common. His eyes remaining locked on it while his free hand held his hand-axe; gripping it near the axe head so that he could use the length of the wooden handle as a club.

The young bull ox had not misbehaved; a foolish handler had inadvertently stepped close to it when thunder boomed. It had reacted by attacking the handler and slamming its head against the young Drykas, although not all that badly. Managing to avoid its horns. Although, the resulting trampling when it charged past did the most damage. Quzon had seen it turn for another charge and intervened before more serious damage was done.

Now, he faced down an Ox that stood no more than ten feet away. "Calm. Calm." He did not yell at the ox, he only spoke to it in a stern voice. He knew that raising his voice would have only spooked it further. He simply spoke to it like a man to an animal. It either needed to calm down, or be dealt with. And Quzon expressed that in his body language, his outstretched hand balling into a fist. "Stay there. Don't move."

The Half Isur could hear the Animal Handlers arrive to tend to the fallen Drykas. However, he needed to keep his nerve. "You stay." The ox tensed in response to his voice, digging its hooves into the ground. Its raised limbs stopping down in staccato rhythm. Other handlers dragged the injured attendant from the field, and Quzon spoke softly to the Ox, calming it down by stepping to one side. Trying to remain out side of a straightforward charging path. The Ox let out a deep exhale through its nostrils, it wasn't an aggressive creature. It was only shocked by the thunder, but as the rain seemed to lessen. It's mood returned to its more docile tendencies.

Quzon approached the Ox once he noticed it's legs were firmly positioned on the ground. He opened his hand to place it gently against the Ox's head, stroking it. "Good Bull." He said with a heavy sigh of relief. Almost on cue, one of his Co-workers informed him of a woman who had been asking for him.

He set his axe into his belt, hiding it under his black cloak as he went to see who wanted to see him. To his surprise, it was the woman who had loaned him a horse. "Why you here?" The words were straightforward, blunt like they were a club used to bludgeon someone. However, his tone was friendly. Given what he had just gone through, he did not care about the subtle nuances of the Common tongue.

Last edited by Quzon on April 29th, 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzon
Victory & Power

Words: 271667
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

The Deluge

Postby Naiya on April 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm

She didn't wait long in the rain, although the water quickly washed the mud clear from her skin. No one had mistaken who she was looking for, and quite soon she could see his form approach through the dark of the weather. She barely had time to catch her breath, an artifact of her pregnancy or so she had been told, before the man arrived.

Greetings, apology she shaped at his approach, the signs second nature, he was blunt in his inquiry, all the better that they got to the point. "I came to ask help, I have young animals at home, less than once season, I am concerned for them. I heard you worked here, I thought you might be able to tell me who can help me care for my herd in this storm?"

She counted off the number of animals in her head, "I have ten and five young that are worrisome, six are new this season" She explained, trying to give him the information he needed to understand the trouble she had. "My pavilion is small, you have seen, we don't have enough people to care for the young."

Thunder rumbled ominously overhead, warning that it wasn't done with their city yet. Her hand dropped to her abdomen, her baby girl upset by the sound. She was still only just beginning to show, but the warm weather clothing she had adopted made it abundantly clear to most.

"Please, I must hurry." She told him, glancing back toward her pavilion and out across the dark sea towards the opal tent she would have been able to see if not for the storm, she still had to find Asarni.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)