Completed Mercy is for the Weak (Job Thread)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Mercy is for the Weak (Job Thread)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm

22nd of Spring, 516 AV

Eyes seemed to be on Theo at every turn. As it turned out, Brayden was not going to let Theo expose his betrayal so easily. Theo now spent all his time in the day sleeping and all his nights awake. He no longer drank ale when invited, and served himself all his meals. He spoke very little and only when needed. There was a stillness in the air now, brewing anticipation swallowed more minds than his own, and when Theo caught men chatting their words quickly stopped. They all think I’m Novenam’s lackey. Brayden means to turn them all against the captain, and I’m the one standing in their way. Usually it’s my own mouth that gets me into trouble, not someone else’s.

Tonight Theo rose especially late. He had grown bored in the early morning and when no one was around he dipped in the ale for the first time in a week. Theo woke with a need for rations and so he went to go serve himself some salted salmon, hard black bread, and a dried orange. Men had been complaining of weakness as of late, and Theo could not suffer such an ill.

Once he finished he headed back up to the deck and began training his longsword. With two hands Theo cleaved down an old post. Theo found it hard to concentrate with so much on his mind, but training always stilled his focus. One hit from the right would allow him to stab into an opening on the left. A cleave down the middle left his opponent vulnerable to a kick. One after the other the strikes and combos were being laid down, Theo’s combos were now reflecting profeciency.

The dummy ate three more vicious strikes, the wood clinging was the only sound on deck, but Theo did not hear even that. He struck until his arms were weak, and then laid more strikes on. Theo fought as if the dummy meant to take his life, and in his mind it did.

Theo finally stopped, panting heavily as he stared at the carvings he made on the wood, Theo would need a new target if he kept up this pace. Diverting his eyes to the poop deck, Theo could see Brayden at the stern as he was most nights. Tonight’s your night, nuit. I’m gonna draw a wet smile on your face.

Theo slipped off into the midship. There was mugs of ale about and the underbelly of Precious reeked of piss and gas. The wretches have all had their fill, their eyes won’t see me behind a drum of ale. Still, Theo was better off being quiet. He tip toed his way towards the first mate’s cabin, trying to avoid some of the creaks that lingered in the coarse wood.

He did not see the looking scope under his foot before he kicked halfway across the mid deck. Theo stopped in mid step as the cylinder rattled across the humps of the floor. His mouth dropped open until it clanked against the very quarters he meant to tip toe towards. Lucky enough for him, however, it seemed no one took any keen notice of the sound, and if they had their sleep was more important than checking.

I'm just drunk, not stumbling in the dark.
All my templates were made by the grace of the enchanting Aislyn Leavold.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Words: 212275
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 4:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 2:47 pm

22nd of Spring, 516 AV

Theo slid into Brayden’s quarters, keeping on the tips of his feet as he closed the door behind him. The cabin was about the same size as Theo’s, but it had only one bed in it and not three. There was a worn wooden desk to his right that was as cold to touch as Brayden’s hands. In the drawers Theo found nothing but random knick knacks and trinkets, there was a fresh white rose Theo knew must of been from Syliras hidden in the bottom draw, but nothing else drew his eye. Why would a sailor have a rose, let alone a white one? Come on, I need something here. What have you left me, petchface? Some old rags from your time as a girl? Heh. A diary of the perils of the unliving? Or maybe some three hundred year old britches? You gotta have something here you worthless, smelly, white, wretch.

Theo checked under his bed and in his nightstand, still nothing. Theo searched for something hidden in the margins of his books, but there wasn’t anything to note other than a crying soul praying for his love in Syliras.

His desire extinguished, Theo took to the bed to try to think things through. But when Theo put his head against the back post something slid and clumped on the floor underneath him. He got up and crouched under the bed, underneath Theo pulled back a book with a blank cover and fresh binding. He flicked through the pages and could find nothing written anywhere. It wasn’t until he got to the back that he found writing. Seems Brayden writes in the reverse, or maybe he’s got something to hide.

On the last page Theo found all the proof he needed:

First of Spring, 516 AV.

A new body, so a new journal seems fitting. I had this drunken kid come and visit me in the late of night. Said he missed me more than he could tell, well missed her I guess. As soon as I opened the door he was trying to hold me and kiss me. I had been living this girl’s life for three months and I still hadn’t met all the boys she got along with. I’ve got to admit, I did have fun playing courtesan for a little, at least that’s what I thought it was. The men always left me gifts; maybe she was just that fun; who knows?

It was time to move on. I got less and less of them everyday. Maybe I’ve been doing this for so long I’ve forgotten the effects this has on the body. One man even told me how much I changed, yikes. Anyway, this kid was the perfect opportunity. When he crawled into bed I told him to close his eyes and flip over. It sounded so smooth coming from her lips, telling him “Let me appreciate you before we make love.” The kill itself didn’t feel as bad as the prior ones. He was drunk and probably didn’t feel it so much.

I searched his person and found out he’s a ship’s first mate! What joy, I was getting tired of moving around unknown in Syliras. If only I had entered the city as a stranger, than maybe I could’ve lived as a normal Nuit in those walls. But no matter, I’ll be somewhere else within a half year, and we’ll all have new bodies.

P.S. Good thing this girl had all this makeup, I’m gonna need it to cover up the rope burns.

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 2:48 pm

22nd of Spring, 516 AV

What does he mean “we’ll”? Could there be more on board? And then Theo remembered that some of the lookouts had seen a ship on the horizon behind them at low tide. So that’s what’s going on here.

Just as Theo shut the book, the door burst open. Brayden stood there in the opening with a man on each side. He was smiling, the other two had their teeth gritting openly, they were blood hungry. One of them had a dirk drawn, the other was armed with an unwhetted short sword.

Theo drew his sword and laughed at them collectively. ”You guys are in over your heads, when’s the last time any of you raised a sword? And you, Brayden, I’ve got your secret.

Brayden’s face ran still and then he smirked again. ”I’ve got nothing to hide.” His breath had a coy, snarky tone.

”Boys, you might be surprised to know that isn’t Brayden at all. That, my friends is the unliving behind you.”

“Lies! We’ll have your throat, craven. My pockets’ll be lined with gold when I tell the captain about your mutiny.”

So that’s what he tells them. ”So be it, I’ve been dying for a live fight anyway.”

The man with the dagger threw himself at Theo. Rather than run him clean through, Theo decided to play nice and cut off his hand instead. Theo laughed as he screamed and rushed from the room, a trail of blood following him. The other man was reluctant to enter the fight, but Brayden nudged him on. Theo met him while he was out of range of the short blade, and began throwing the weight of the sword around. Soon Theo found himself closing the distance with a flurry of heavy strikes, getting closer to striking flesh.

Theo heaved heavy blows against the man, who was shuffling backwards against the wall. In the end the man had his eyes closed shut with his sword covering his torso. ”I yield!” He whimpered as he dropped his sword.

”I accept your yield. Theo said, kicking the sword behind him.

The man scattered out towards his exit, but met a sword in the belly as he did so. He squirmed a little as the blade settled in, but the blow was deadly, landing right in his artery. Brayden kicked him off his cutlass and both he and Theo watched the life slip from the man’s eyes and the wood soak with blood.

Last edited by Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 2:49 pm

22nd of Spring, 516 AV

”Fitting, it’s just us two now. Shall we?

Without a word, Brayden slashed out. Theo countered and landed a blow of his own in a swipe. He pierced skin and Brayden’s innards wept white. It’s true.

Theo had to meet another of Brayden’s blows, this one was just like the first, weak. Theo could feel the loss of life in his foe. His strikes were lacking strength and were ill timed. Oh, I’m going to enjoy this. Theo began giving ground to the nuit, who was gaining confidence with each of his strikes. Theo held back his smile as he watched each strike come in, glancing the blows off casually.

Brayden pushed Theo back against the bed, and here Theo felt the need to finally push back. He began swiping across to the sides as they made their way back across the cabin. There was a crowd forming at the door way, someone was even nice to drag the dead away. Cheering, some men even tried to join but were held back by their comrades.

”Tired from that coward?” Brayden called out.

”You couldn’t tell how worried I was? I pissed myself.” Brayden went to look and Theo swiped below Brayden’s hilt, disarming his opponent. Brayden stumbled back with worry in his eyes. Men were fixing to get involved when Theo spoke, ”Pick it up.”

Brayden came back with another strike from the side. Theo glanced off the blow, swung his sword heavy across Brayden’s away from Braydens sword arm, and kicked the nuit down to the ground.

In that moment Novenam burst through the door. ”What is the meaning of this?” He bellowed. ”Theo, lower your sword.” Theo did no such thing. ”Which of you killed poor Ignavus?”

”Father, thank the gods you came.” The nuit said. ”Enermis heard something stirring in my cabin, and when he, Ignavus, and I went to go check. When we went inside Theo was canvassing my room, no doubt trying to find some way to pin this mutiny on me. Don’t you see, Theo has been behind this the whole time. When we threatened to tell you he began slicing us down.”

Captain Novenam’s face grew red with rage, ”Theo, what do you have to say?

Theo smiled. ”Look at the cut on his arm.”

Novenam bent over and looked at his son’s arm. His eyes glowed as he looked. ”Brayden, you’re bleeding white.

”Seems your son had a run in with the wrong girl back in Syliras.” Theo chuckled at the thought that it could’ve just as easily been himself in that position. ”Brayden’s gone Captain, in your arms is a nuit.”

The undead reached for its blade, but the captain grabbed his sword before he could.

”No! Cried out Brayden’s husk. ”Please have mercy, Captain! I beg of you!

Captain Novenam’s face had gone from rageful to stern in a heartbeat. He raised the sword to the nuit’s neck. ”No, you wretched creature. Mercy is for the weak, not murderers. You walk the plank come sunrise.” He turned to his crew, ”Boys, prepare some chum.”

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Theo Popcampio on June 8th, 2016, 2:58 pm

22nd of Spring, 516 AV

The following morning Theo found himself on the deck as Syna rose to greet the open sea. Theo was groggy, he, like most of the men, had trouble finding sleep, and also found little want for it. Though he was no aurist, Theo could feel a concentrated contempt on the man they thought was Brayden.

As they poured out from the underbelly of Precious each man said hello to Theo. A new day, a different perspective. It was funny to Theo how much things changed, he laughed openly about it. The proof was undeniable, the white ichor leaked and showed Brayden was no longer a man, a human at least. Theo could tell, however, there was still some residual feeling. Everything with time.

Brayden’s occupier sat tied and gagged looking at the deck. A pair of men brought up some bloody bait. One man had suggested using Ignavus as the bait as rations were a worry, but Captain Novenam retorted by saying that the sailor would be better suited himself. The discussion ended after that.

Novenam reached over and lifted the gag from Brayden’s mouth while everyone else watched on. ”Any last words?” He asked, stern but drunk.

”Please!” A desperate Brayden cried out. ”Show mercy!” Even his emotions were forced in Theo’s mind.

”This is the most merciful thing I can think for you beast. A life again in the cycle, a chance to cleanse your soul. You are hardly befitting of such grace.” Novenam told him. Theo agreed; he felt pity for the undead.

With a solemn stare the man stood up. His eyes avoided the rest of those around him, and he made his way to the plank. The chum was tossed off board. With his feet bound at the ankles and his arms tied at the wrist, Brayden was sure to sink right to the bottom. As he walked his feet trembled like the wobbling board underneath him. He made a misstep halfway down the plank, slammed his head against the wood, and lost his feet from underneath himself. The Nuit’s body flipped all the way around before he hit the water landing flat on his back. His eyes were open and empty as he slowly into the calm waters.

The crew had a shared laugh. ”Smooth!” Theo badgered at the corpse.

”What now?” Novenam asked Theo.

Theo shrugged. ”That ship on the horizon, that’s not just a coincidence. That’s his buddies. They want our bodies.”

Novenam hardly seemed phased. Theo could tell something had changed in him. ”And we cannot outsail them. We will have to face them.”

”Easy,” Theo said. ”Nuit’s have delayed reactions and weak strength, I just learned. Any of your men can take one of them.”

”Let’s hope so.” Novenam said. ”Or you might just have to take them all on yourself.”

Theo smiled as he rested his hand on Novenam’s shoulder. ”You have no idea how much I would enjoy that.”

Theo Popcampio
Fire Starter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on September 21st, 2016, 10:58 am

XP Award!

Name: Theo

XP Award:
  • Observation: +4
  • Weapon: Longsword: +3
  • Endurance: +1
  • Stealth: +2
  • Investigation: +1
Lore:
  • Longsword: Middle attack and then kick
  • Longsword: Hit on the right, stab on the left
  • Brayden: A Nuit
  • Stealth: Taking care to avoid creaks
  • Investigation: Look under the bed
  • Stealth: Remembering to keep an eye out
  • Brayden: Quite merciless
  • Nuit: Leak ichor when cut
  • Nuit: Weak, with delayed reactions

Notes:
I really enjoyed this! Especially as Theo winced when the scope rolled.

Additional Comments: Please remember to edit your grade request in the queue. Thanks!

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)