[Cobalt Mountains] Frostbound [Klyph, Hrafn]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 27th, 2010, 5:46 am

11th of Winter, 510 AV oocAh yes, fergot this... Sorry, but the 10th was for the last thread, and Jonathon said it would be tommorow, so... If it's super inconvieniant, then maybe I could edit a thing or two.

Jonathon stared blankly at the ceiling of his apartment. He lay there for a few seconds, then got up and went to work preparing for the hunt. After about fifteen minutes, he was dressed, packed, and ready to hunt. Now to actually go and hunt. Jonathon hoisted his backpack on his shoulders and walked out of his apartment.

Outside, dawn was just breaking. Jonathon took a breath of the fresh air, after the time in the stifling apartment, and set off northward. Although it was still rather early, the busy Syliras streets still had a plentiful supply of people. Jonathon weaved in and out of the crowd, feeling both nervousness and confidence in his abilities.

Jonathon reached the northern gate. It seemed no one else had arrived yet. Ahead, the Cobalt Mountains loomed. Jonathon stared up at it's impressive height. Ready? Pretty sure, yeah... Jonathon leaned against the gate and waited for the rest of the party.
Last edited by Jonathon DuFraine on December 27th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 27th, 2010, 6:54 am

[OOC: Can the Timestamp be 12th?[OOC]

Hrafn, after a good nights sleep in the dark corners of the castle wondered what would happen if the Knights would ever find him? He shook his head as he continued along the lonely corridors. He stepped inside the corridor leading to the Northern Gates, the street absolutely bustling with activity. The people of Syliras were a restless one, but this wasn't a town or a city, surely. It's a glorified castle with wrong ideas. Hrafn glared along the corridor, spotting Jonathon not far away. He was readily prepared as was Hrafn, wearing warm clothes and equipment sufficing for the night. Hrafn grazed his green tinted arm, it would probably be used by the end of the night...

Hrafn walked up to Jonathon. -"Is Klyphaestus here yet, Jon?" Hrafn asked him as he scoured the street with his visage. He rested his hand on his dagger, with the shortbow strapped on. He was carrying a bedroll and some food for the night, two knives, cloth to spare for burning and the warm clothes he brought. He leaned up against the wall, scratching his jaw.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Words: 16370
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Klyphaestus on December 27th, 2010, 4:28 pm

11th Day, Winter 510

Klyphaestus strode the streets with ease. He studied the pale heavens for a moment on the way, smiling at its calm beauty so different from the busy streets of Syliras. He liked this city. He spent most of his life here, after all. But there was always some strange eager that dwelt in Klyphaestus' mind, whispering him all the great wonders which he had yet to witness, and the uncomparable beauty of his homeland where vast pastures would merge with the farthest sky.

Klyphaestus would love to see that.

But before seeing any wonder, he spotted two waiting figures at the gate. Jonathon and Hrafn.

'Rats.' Klyphaestus cursed softly with an embarrassed chuckle, then hastened to the pair. The weight of his backpack was comforting on his back, signifying supplies and warm clothing. The weapons he carried were just as formidable as they were yestrday, when he was at The Rearing Stallion. Klyphaestus just hoped that his belongings would not become too much a burden to him during this hunt.

'Good morning,' said Klyphaestus when he reached Jonathon and Hrafn. 'It seems I'm the last key pieces to this party. All set and ready to go?'

OOC11 or 12, both would be fine to me. I'll timestamp my post when the date is chosen. :)
Last edited by Klyphaestus on January 11th, 2011, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klyphaestus
Commoner

Words: 20504
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 28th, 2010, 1:57 am

-"Morning, Klyph." Hrafn said as he fixed the position of his bow, grimacing slightly. He wanted to get out as early as he could. The fresh air would be an entertaining alternative to the humid and cloggy air of Syliras. Hrafn grazed his hair and retracted it to the back to enhance his vision. -"Well. We better set off soon. Jon, it's your call, friend." Hrafn examined the 'seasoned' hunter. He'd have to prove himself to be a competent leader or Hrafn would be quick to assume control.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 28th, 2010, 6:34 am

Jonathon stared at the ground, lost in thought. Are you ready? Are you ready? Are you ready? Jonathon repeated slowly to himself a little chant he made when he was a kid. Not out loud, but it helped. The chant detailed the most basic facts about himself, which for some reason helped with nerves. By the time Hrafn had arrived, Jonathon was collected and in charge.

"No, he's not here yet... but I think that's him, right?" Jonathon indicated an incoming figure. Soon Klyphaestus reached them. "Well, we all pretty much just got here." Jonathon cracked a smile. "All right, everyone looks ready for a day in the mountains. Remember, stay sharp, stay quite, and most of all, keep a hand on your weapons. Got it?" He looked around the group.

"Okay then... Game is plentiful there, but it can be dangerous, of course. We'll probably only be in the lower foothills, Bronze Wood and such. Let's go." Jonathon began the treck towards the mountains, not really bothering to wait for them to catch up.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Hrafn had sheathed two of his knives at the both sides of his belt and had his shortbow strapped on with the sheath around his shoulder. He continued the treacherous path between Jonathon and Klyphaestus, carefully trying to step on paths that wouldn't knock big rocks down. Wouldn't want to start rockfall down on the road. Hrafn's years seemed to have caught up with him, as Jonathon continued without stopping, Hrafn's breath became short. He wasn't the most agile man and life in Syliras was an easy one requiring little movement.

-"Jonathon!" he called, gasping along the way. -"What exactly are we hunting up here?" he inquired, trying to keep moving. The winter had made itself hospitable further up the mountain, ice and snow dominating the hillside. Woods were covered in snow, Hrafn grimaced at the sight. This would be a cold couple of nights.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on December 28th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Note for Hrafn :
Hrafn, just so you know, Isur age at half the pace as the average human. Meaning an Isur that is 46, such as your PC, would be as youthful as your companions. In other words, judging by maturity, the Isur is roughly equal to a 23 year old Human. If you want him to be old, you may want to double his age in your CS, or make him appear and act younger if you want him to actually be 46.

Moderator's Warning :
Epic adventures ahead! This is your first warning!

Jonathon is the only one with any skill in 'Hunting', and it's still pretty low. Just know that this make your little trek more dangerous, and less likely to earn spoils, however the outcome is mostly decided on your accurate and skilled roleplaying. There will be more than just Hunting involved if this thread carries out long enough, and depending on your actions, made lead to different outcomes and situations. If you meet a bandit, killing him, sparing him, or chasing him off will all three hold different events to follow. Make your choises wisely. Also, If none of you are okay with scars or painful memories lingering with your PCs, I'd suggest backing out of the hunt. I do not enjoy simple, mundane, predictable threads, so be prepared for anything (I'm not going to made fifty bears fall from the sky and descend on you just so you die though, I am realistic myself). If you are foolish, such as trying to fist fight a tiger (and no, there are no tigers in Syliras), you will die. So, if you are all okay with this, we can keep going, otherwise back out and let me know.

Mod Note :
If you want to work on a specific skill, such as tracking, trapping, observation, rhetoric, storytelling, etc; make sure you work on it obviously. If you are searching for tracks the whole time, you'll get observation bonuses (depending on the depth you go into searching), if you find tracks and follow their subtle hints, you'll gain points for that. And so on. Just do things that a PC would be likely to do, but also remember the louder you are, the more likely you are to attract attention. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Early morning, early early morning it was. The Bronze Woods was the wild lands that belonged partially to the Cobalt Mountains, but was also known to extend all the way up to the frozen north. Taldera was a dangerous place, a place where summer was cold, spring was frozen, and winter was death. However, still in the lands of Sylira, and particularly only a few miles out of Syliras itself, if that far, our trio of novice hunters wandered. Whatever their reasons for this journey, be it boredom, self-dependence, or even just the accompany of new friends, they were here. Though the path behind them was short, quick, and an easy retreat back into the ever safe walls of Syliras, they all knew that the road ahead, where there really was no road or path to guide them. No, there was only their eyes, their ears, their instincts that told them were to go. It was quite dangerous if they were wandering aimlessly away from Syliras, because anyone with common sense knew that the farther from Syliras you moved, the more difficult it was to return when you really needed it.

It hadn't even been a full hour of their traversing through the wooded regions of Sylira, the air was moist, thanks to the neighboring Suvan, and the temperature was warm, even though there was the occasional brisk breeze that found its way through their sleeves, a most comforting feeling it was too. Their travels thus far offered no reward as of yet. That is, until now. Jonathon was the first to see their possible prey, it was a rabbit, gray and brown, adult, fluffy and adorable as could be. The rabbit wasn't moving though, its head cocked ever so slightly to the side, and Jonathon could have sworn it was staring at him. There was eye contact.

Yet, the rabbit stayed still. The rodent must have thought himself to be camouflaged well enough to blend into the tree.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on December 29th, 2010, 9:36 am

Jonathon moved quickly but quietly through the forest mountains. It had been less than in hour so far, and nothing sighted yet. Not a thing unusual about that, but Jonathon was itching for something to do, anything. His eyes constantly darted around, looking for something that might hint towards a living creature nearby. Hrafn broke the silence.

"Jonathon, what exactly are we hunting up here?" Jonathon heard the weariness in his voice; if they went too much farther at this rate, the old one might not be fit for hunting; not to mention he would be less quite and alert. Jonathon slowed his pace to help Hrafn get his wind back, but Jonathon was determined to shoot something before they took any breaks. Although a bit annoyed, he was more irritated at himself for bringing Hrafn along then directly at Hrafn. Meanwhile, Klyphaestus still seemed in good shape, but Jonathon couldn't really tell from over here.

"Anything. Game is plentiful around here; anything that we might be able to catch, we shoot. Even monsters might sell for something. Oh, and only talk if needed. The quieter we are, the better we hunt." It was then Jonathon noticed the rabbit.

The rabbit appeared to be looking directly at Jonathon. Either it hadn't noticed him, or for some reason it hadn't run yet. Jonathon stopped dead, put a hand out to indicate for Hrafn and Klyphaestus to stop, and stared at the rabbit. Jonathon knew that occasionally rabbits, who led fear-filled lives, would simply become overwhelmed by terror and stop moving, waiting for someone to end it's life. Jonathon made eye contact with the rabbit, yet it still hadn't run.

Well, only one thing could be done... There could be no sneaking up on it, but Jonathon would have to make do. Turning his head, he put a finger to his lips to quite the others, and slowly drew his bow and a single arrow, trying not to alarm the creature, either through sound or sight. Some accomplished marksmen could hold an arrow in one hand and still shoot, then be ready for another shot, but Jonathon had yet to master that skill. He put the arrow to his bow, drawing back. If, in all this time, the rabbit moved quickly, either to run or for some other reason, Jonathon would prepare, aim, and take the shot as quickly as possible. If it didn't, Jonathon took careful aim, breathed in, and fired directly at his prey.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Klyphaestus on December 30th, 2010, 1:06 am

Klyphaestus stiffened as Johnathan stopped them all of a sudden, staring straight out into something. A thousand thoughts flashed into Klyphaestus' mind and the excitement built within him, for they had been walking nearly for a full hour without crossing road with any possible prey. Klyphaestus was not tired yet, but the walk surely had warmed him. He edged closer from behind Hrafn to take a better look.

There, when Johnathan put a finger on his lips to silent the party, Klyphaestus spot that fluffy creature. The rabbit was motionless as a statue, with its eyes twinkling in the morning light. Klyphaestus tried to identify its kind. Was it a forest rabbit, a brush rabbit, a mountain cottontail or somthing else? He tried to judge from its colour and ears and other features, summoning all the knowledge he had learnt from books, but the rabbit had hid most of its part behind the grass. Even if it did not, Klyphaestus probably would still find this identifying task somewhat challenging, for even if he remember all the information provided in the books, he would have trouble believing that his own judgement could be anything but correct.

Klyphaestus took his bow and knocked a game arrow when Johnathan raised his bow. He might be of some use if, just if, Johnathan missed the shot. Which hardly would happen in this rabbit killing, Klyhaestus thought. He was already half celebrating their victory.

Johnathan let the arrow fly.
Last edited by Klyphaestus on December 30th, 2010, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klyphaestus
Commoner

Words: 20504
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Hrafn Alaric on December 30th, 2010, 9:38 pm

[OOC: I know, Hrafn likes to think he's old - that's why he acts like an older human. When I said he had bad fatigue, I ment it as he hasn't moved alot. Syliras is an enclosed place, so he doesn't get much fresh air or exercise]
Hrafn had gained a second wind and was fresh with energy as he hurried to catch up with Jonathon. Hrafn froze as Jonathon raised his hand and frowned as he spotted the small creature. It was brave or absolutely terrified, I'll give you that little guy, Hrafn though to himself as he drew the shortbow with the utmost of silence and discretion. He glanced back at Jonathon slowly. He nodded quietly at Jon as he raised his finger over his lips, signalling the others to stay quiet.

Hrafn saw both the men draw their bow and prepared to fire. Hrafn waited after they had released their barrage. He would let the arrow fly if the rabbit managed to evade their arrows. Hrafn drew up an arrow and waited.
Hrafn Alaric
Whimsical Blacksmith

Character sheet

Next