Closed [Fighter's Pit] Rain, Rain (Crystal)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Fighter's Pit] Rain, Rain (Crystal)

Postby Morrigan on July 2nd, 2016, 4:11 pm

15th of Summer, 516 AV

One of the many things she liked about the Pit was that it wasn't inside the castle. People trained out in the open under blue skies, with the wind on their skin and sun burning their cheeks. Though today the skies were gray as far as the eye could see and a light drizzle fell lazily from the clouds, several groups of men and a few women trained with a mixture of the worn weapons provided and their own.

Morrigan dropped down into the damp dirt of the Pit from the crumbling walls, bow in hand and arrows rattling against her back. A few familiar faces waved at her in passing or shouted friendly jeers, and she gestured rudely to the latter, earning a few barks of laughter. No one else seemed interested in the row of targets set against stone though, so she found herself off in her own corner, the sound of striking metal ringing behind her.

The slow, small drops of rain felt nice on her skin. It was surprisingly humid so early in the summer, and the bit of wet offered some cool relief. She hadn't decided how long she would be here today. If the weather went south soon, they all might have to call it an early day; otherwise she'd be at it until her arms burned.

Morrigan reached back for an arrow, fingers brushing feather when suddenly something slammed into her back, knocking her hard to the ground. Her bow slid across the dirt and arrows scattered around her. There was the sound of shocked laughter and shuffling feet as she struggled to right herself.

"What the petch?" she growled into the dirt, shifting to her knees.

Two young men, one covered in dirt like herself and already back on his feet, both them smiling as if they were sharing a joke. Each had a blade in hand, clearly training and getting too rowdy. She just happened to be in the way.

"You idiots need to use your eyes!" Her words were like venom, and the smiles slowly slipped from their faces.

"Don't get your skirts in a wad. We were just having some fun," one of them retorted. Her expression darkened instantly, and she climbed to her feet.

"Fun, you say? With live steel, and other people about? You think anyone else think's it's fun playing around with weapons?" A few people had stopped to watch the confrontation now. The sound of ringing blades was much less so, and the two young men glanced around uncomfortably.

Feeling more than a little vengeful, Morrigan took their moment of hesitation to lunge at the one who knocked his partner into her. She shoved him hard in the chest, hitting him with all of her weight and sending him to the ground. A smattering of laughter rose around them and finally she smiled, just a little too sweetly for it to be honest.

"Watch your step around here."

They didn't stay much longer. The last she saw of them, they were putting their swords away with tails between their legs, ears red and heads down, trying not to look anyone in the eye. She was still smiling as she picked up her arrows.
4/5 Threads
Morrigan
Player

Words: 13271
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2016, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 2nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

Timestamp

Having left for the Bronze Woods earlier, Crystal was on her way to the Fighter's Pit with her knight gear attached. She had a small quiver on her back which held a few arrows and her shortbow, but she also had a dagger on her leg and a shortsword on her left hip. Leather armor covered a grey blouse and black trousers, and her boots kicked up dirt in the summer air.

Actually, today was a great day for the young woman. She had had to go on patrol, but it ended with no interruptions. After reporting her Patron had let her go home. Instead Crystal decided to head to the Pit's see how everything was coming along. A crowd had formed around another woman around her age. After sending some men off, the crowd dispersed. Crystal found herself going up to the woman.

"Sorry for intruding, but I like how you dealt with those guys." Crystal said, chuckling inwardly as she recalled the scene. Crystal walked in step with the woman. If she was intruding too much and the woman told her to leave she would, but she considered the fact that talking to someone new couldn't hurt. Then she noticed the other woman's weapon choice, a bow similar to her own. "Oh? Are you a hunter?"

Crystal tapped her forehead with the front of her wrist before speaking. "My apologizes," she began. "My name is Crystal; Crystal Nightshade. And you are?" She extended her hand with a smile.

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Have time to visit the Gardening skill?
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Words: 79860
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Morrigan on July 3rd, 2016, 11:20 pm

She paid no heed to the soft approach of boots on dirt. A passing combatant, her mind dismissed absently as she counted the arrows that passed from hand to quiver.

Twenty-two, twenty-three...

The young woman's voice halted her math and she glances up from underneath tousled red bangs, a scowl twisting her dusty face.

"What?" It was the automatic response of a distracted mind, and when the comment finally processed--a little late--the scowl was quickly replaced by a look of skepticism. "Really? I thought it was pretty petty of me, to be honest. Not that the ass didn't deserve it, but don't people say something about not lowering yourself to someone else's level?" She was all too familiar with that phrase. She lowered herself to other people's level all the time.

Quickly picking up the last few arrows, Morrigan returned them to her back and rose to her feet, giving herself a good dusting as she did. The woman before her was the curious sort she determined, as her profession came into question. It was a surprisingly good guess from simply observing her bow. Morrigan found herself smiling despite a sour mood. Being tossed to the dirt tended to piss her off, after all, but a little mantra was chanting repeatedly in her head, "Don't a bitch. Don't be a bitch."

"I am, actually, yes," Morrigan admitted, then looked at the woman's sudden offer to shake as if her fingers were a snake she wasn't quite sure would strike. Brows knitted and lips pursed in an odd smile, she took the woman's hand in a firm grip. "Morrigan. Just Morrigan."

Crystal looked like the all right sort. She was pretty and a little exotic looking, with a dark skin and even darker hair. Her eyes were in startling contrast with her complexion, and she wore armor that looked far too nice for the Pits. Morrigan had no idea what to think of her, or how to place her. After an awkward silence during which she gathered her thoughts, the redhead finally began.

"And you? What do... you do?" The dark haired beauty was armed to the teeth, with a bow and arrows, sword, a dagger, and who knew what else tucked away who knew where.
4/5 Threads
Morrigan
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 3rd, 2016, 11:56 pm

Timestamp

"Sometimes stooping to their level is the best way to get back at them." Crystal said with a light chuckle. Noticing the woman's surprised look, she explained herself. "I happened to be a Hunter at a time, so I just assumed."

Nodding at the redheads introduction, she noticed her grip was firm. She didn't seem uncomfortable, so Crystal decided to stick around for a bit. The woman sized her up, that much Crystal could tell by her slightly stunned expression. "I guess I should've disarmed a bit..."

She glanced at herself, taking in her appearance. She must have looked intimidating with all the weapons strapped to her body. She hadn't been to far from here, so she had come straight from patrol. "Sorry about that," she said before continuing. "Me? Oh, I'm just a squire."

She said a bit proudly, more than she meant to in fact. Shaking her head, she turned back to Morrigan with a small smile. "Here to train or just knock some people down a size?"

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Morrigan on July 6th, 2016, 3:27 pm

"That explains all the steel," Morrigan mused aloud. She had no choice though to look at the woman in a different light. "So, a future keeper-of-the-peace? How's that occupation change working out for you? I can't say I admire your position, but more power to you." Personally, she would hate the lack of freedom. Squires were bound to their patrons until Knighthood, beholden to them all day every day. The idea of that was enough to make her want to rip her hair out.

She wasn't the Order's biggest fan either. Not that she didn't think they did any good, but because they, like any large group of people who claim any kind of authority, could be tyrannical. In return for the walls and protection, the people of Syliras--including herself--were expected to be obedient children. Perhaps if she hadn't been a ward of the city she wouldn't have such a cynical opinion, but what was done was done.

"I did just come here for some shooting practice, so technically just training, but I guess if anyone else knocks me over we'll have to see." Morrigan looked down range at the row of round targets, then back at the groups of sparring men and women. "And you? Are you here to train, or show off your fancy duds?" The corner of her mouth lifted in a lopsided smile; a challenge. "I don't have access to such quality instructors like you do, so how about you show me how well you can use that bow?"
4/5 Threads
Morrigan
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 6th, 2016, 8:47 pm

"It's not to bad, but I do miss the thrill of the hunt. I don't get to go out much anymore, but I usually enjoy it more than when I had the time to. I guess now I'm fully appreciating it." The ebony said with a chuckle. The other woman seemed to have a bit of a dislike for the occupation, but without proper proof she wouldn't bring it up.

Crystal could feel the challenge in the other woman's words. It was somewhat exciting, since she hadn't used her how in a while, mainly training with sword and shields. Crystal smirk couldn't be more confident. "Heh, let's see if you can back up that challenge shall we?"

Crystal knew she wasn't the best, but she was arrogant enough to think herself better off than most. Reaching back, she drew the shortbow from her back, and walked to the front of the rounded targets. They were far enough away to make it difficult, but not so far that people could get in the way. Good thing she had practice arrows.

"Let's do this," the woman announced, taking out an arrow. After drawing the nock against her how strong, she pulled it back. It took effort to pull it back, but she managed to do so without to much strain. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she opened with a long exhale and let the arrow fly. She had aimed for the center, but she had ended up in the fourth ring of six.

"I'd say that's an okay start," Crystal said with a small smile before turning to Morrigan. "Show me what you've got."

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Morrigan on July 14th, 2016, 1:54 am

"If you don't mind me asking, what made you join?" she asked as she drew her own arrow and nocked it to her bow's string. After Crystal took the first shot, Morrigan regarded the target next to one the squire had claimed. She squared up and readied to fire, feet shoulder width apart, body facing to the right. In one practiced motion, the redhead drew the string back with a deep inhale through flared nostrils, bracing the bow in the palm of her left hand until tattered old feathers tickled her chin.

Careful not to move anything other than her fingers, they unhooked from the string and allowed the bow's limbs to snap back against the tension. The string hummed dully, followed shortly by the thud of her arrow burying into the target to the left of the bullseye, on the border of the third and fourth rings. As she turned back Crystal she drew another arrow from her back and laid it across the string, ready and waiting.

"I think you can do better than that," she coaxed, trying to get a rise out of the seemingly calm young woman. "You're going to have to try harder if you want to impress me. Your draw was a little sloppy. I don't think they'll let you become a knight if you can't outshoot a simple bumpkin." She wagged the arrow she held at the squire like a mother would wag her finger at a child.

Once Morrigan finished harassing the woman, she nocked the arrow and squared her feet again. Inhaling, she made another smooth and slow draw until the fletching brushed her chin, adjusting slightly to the right. Upon release the bow sang, followed by the chorus of the arrow's arrival at its mark in the second ring to the left of the circle in the center. Morrigan drew a third arrow and motioned at Crystal.

"Go on. We're not taking turns, this is a competition. You obviously need the practice." The words themselves were harsh, but the smile teasing at the corner of her mouth softened their bite. She was only half-jesting though. Morrigan was a workaholic perfectionist and she was quick to criticize those around her.
4/5 Threads
Morrigan
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 14th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Crystal quieted for a bit, deciding if she was willing to talk about her changes with another person. It couldn't hurt, so she took a deep breath and spoke slowly. "I just felt like I wasn't doing enough to better myself. I wanted to improve, learn.. grow. I felt like I could do more in the Order."

Crystal observed Morrigan's form. Squared shoulders and feet spread, the woman had nice form. The ebony had to admire her work, and it seemed as if she was well practiced. Though Crystal admitted she wasn't as talented, she wouldn't say it out loud. The woman spoke a taunt, but her last one made Crystal's nostrils flare. Crystal smirked before speaking. "Bring. It. On."

She grabbed another arrow, but instead of shooting immediately, she attempted to copy her stance. Crystal was a quick learner, but she knew it would take practice to perfect the stance Morrigan had used. She needed to make it her own. She drew the nock back against the bowstring. She drew it back, her arm straining a bit, before letting the arrow fly. It landed slightly in between the fourth and fifth ring.

"Is there a reason you chose to hunt as an occupation?" Crystal took a deep breath before drawing another arrow from her quiver. She drew the nock back once again on the bowstring, before exhaling and letting the arrow loose. It struck the outer most ring.

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Morrigan on July 14th, 2016, 4:51 pm

"I guess that's better than saying you did it for three free meals a day," she admitted. "But aren't you all supposed to claim that you had a divine calling to help the needy and fight evil?" Morrigan squared herself, nocked, inhaled, and drew. Her back flexed against the tension of the bow then relaxed upon release. The third arrow buried itself between the other two, close to the first. She plucked another from her quiver.

"I would rather pack up and leave if I wasn't finding what I was looking for. They couldn't teach me anything I couldn't learn from someone like Gerard." She jerked a thumb at Anthonius, who was by the far wall couching a man and woman. "Or maybe you just don't know the right people. By the way, you need to use your shoulders more. It's hard to draw because you're just pulling, not pushing and pulling. You need to push on the bow when you draw the arrow back. It takes some practice though. That's why your shots are all over the place."

Morrigan nocked the fourth arrow and made a slow demonstration. Cradling the body of the bow in the curve of her left hand, she pushed forward as she lifted it and drew back with the right, using the momentum of that motion to ease the fight against the powerful tension of the limbs. She made an effort to pull her shoulderblades together, tightening the muscles along her back and breathing deep into her chest. The redhead held this position a little longer than the ones before so that Crystal might observe better, anchoring the end of the arrow at her chin.

After a few heartbeats her fingers unhooked from the string and the arrow slammed into the target, below the second arrow in the second ring. Morrigan had form down and more or less consistent grouping, but truly good aim was something that took long practice. She was a ways away from where she wanted to be.

"I spent most of my childhood at the Mithryn Outpost, so I enjoy the outdoors, but I refused to become a farmer. I prefer my independence. It seemed like a good alternative, and I'm able to get outside a lot." She paused a moment. "I know it's probably hard to tell, what with my oozing charm, but I'm not a social butterfly either."
4/5 Threads
Morrigan
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Crystal Nightshade on July 27th, 2016, 12:34 am

Crystal nocked back another arrow as Morrigan spoke, but paused in her draw when Morrigan questioned her drive. "I'm not most knights. I wasn't born into this, and I'm positive there is no way I can protect everyone, even if I tried my best. Evil? Evil could be anyone or anything, so I don't classify myself as one to save others unless I must or they are in dire need of it I suppose."

Crystal turned her view to Gerard as he yelled orders and instructions to other men and women. She prepared to knock an arrow again when Morrigan corrected her. Crystal smirked a bit before nodding to her advice. She pulled the arrow, and pushed the bow, making the tension easier to bear before releasing the arrow. It definitely went further, that's for sure.

"You've been fine so far," Crystal chuckled as the arrow hit the fourth ring. Drawing back once again, she used the same technique as Morrigan described. Draw the arrow back, push forward on the bow. And that's what she did, letting the arrow whizzed past her as she released the nock. "It seems like hunting was a more interesting choice for you. Is there a reason besides independence that you didn't want to farm?"

She was treading lightly, just trying to get bits and pieces of information. As she was speaking she was trying her best not to offend the other woman, and so far it had worked. She was curious about Morrigan's, and the Mithryn Outpost. Hopefully she could ease out some scenery?

"What is it like in the Outposts? Is it crowded like the city?"

Intellectual Seeker
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook