Closed [Windmount Stables] All the Pretty Horses

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] All the Pretty Horses

Postby Ellenwyn on July 28th, 2016, 1:06 am

Summer of 516 AV, 21st Day
Windmount Stables
18th Bell

The heat which had prevailed over the past few days had finally broken. Cool winds blew inland from the sea, and being nestled on the coast as it was, the city was feeling some much needed relief. With the temperatures being as high as they were, Ellen had left her mare to pasture, but with the respite they now had she could take some time to work her under saddle. The redhead's boots kicked up dust as she trudged the well-worn path to the stables. She could see her mare grazing with a cluster of equines in the distance and adjusted course, making a b-line for the pasture's gate. A selection of halters and ropes hung in a line - one for each horse - and Ellen plucked Lady's from its perch.

A few of the mares were looking her way, but her's still ripped at grass under hoof. Bringing two fingers to her lips, and with the aid of a carefully curled tongue, Ellen loosed a piercing whistle. It was a long shrill sound, and the rest of the heads in the pasture popped up inquisitively. When Lady saw her a shrill whinny echoed in reply, followed by the thunder of hooves. Several mares followed her - lower on the pecking order and unwilling to be left behind - but as she stepped inside the gate waved their curious noses away.

Haltering her mare, she lead the beast from the pasture and locked the gate securely behind them. Indignant whinnies followed them back to the barn but she paid no mind and Lady seemed content to be with her person. After momentarily locking the horse in a stall, Ellenwyn fetched their tack. Seeing the gear in her arms upon return Lady tossed her dark head and snorted, pawing at the door with a few loud bangs of steel on wood. Though there was excitement in her posture she stood quietly for the familiar routine of being brushed down and saddled.

Leaving the cinch loose for now - just snug enough to fit her hand between it and the belly - Ellen lastly checked each of the mare's hooves and made quick work of rocks and dirt from the pasture clinging to the underside of her feet. She led Lady from the stall and down the aisle, out of the barn to one of the open arenas. For the most part these were frequented by knights and squires and pages, but it was open to everyone. She always felt a little out of place but it was either this or risk being mauled to death on the road. She preferred the former to the alternative.

"Thank you," she chimed happily as a squire watching those practicing in the arena opened the gate for her. He smiled shyly and tipped his head, stammering something that was lost in a sudden shout as her mare pinned her ears and struck like a snake as they walked by. Cringing, she pulled the horse along with a quick tug of the reins as the boy narrowly saved his nose.

"Sorry! So sorry! She hates men." It was a poor excuse for such behavior, but true. The mare had always hated the opposite sex and lunged when they came too close. Ellen assumed it was from some bad experiences as a filly. Embarrassed by the outburst, she took more time than necessary to tighten the cinch to hide her blushing features. The redhead could feel eyes on her back and it made her skin shiver like a horse shedding flies.
Last edited by Ellenwyn on August 13th, 2016, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ellenwyn
Player

Words: 17046
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2016, 9:55 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 28th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Timestamp

Timestamp:18, Summer, 516av

"So you got all that?" Asked the Knight while Ferrin and Ser Xervos were strolling through the streets of Syliras. Ferrin nodded, he understood fairly well. Of course, it was only a few things that he needed reminders about. If he really wanted to become a Knight he needs to work up the proper skills to rank up as one.

"Yes Ser Xervos. I understand. Though, how much often would I need to work on horsemanship, after all, when I see Knights they rarely rude their horses on patrols out in the woods." Chimed Ferrin as he took his focus off his patron and onto the street in front of him.

When looking past the streets of Syliras, different people walk on by; whether they're a human, Drykas, Kelvic, they're still people. People who have a task at hand and a place to go. Ferrin was still shocked of how many people can be in one place at once. Though, Ferrin was used to it by now at the same time to.

"It's simple. I want you to train in horsemanship because not only will you be better at horseback riding, but you'll have an advantage when you fight men off the ground. The higher you are compared to the opponent on the lower end of the stake, you'll have a more probability of success in battle. That's how I see it at least. That's how I want you to see it." Ser Xervos responded a bit more harshly than he did with the last. "That is why I'm taking you to the Windmount Stables today. For practice."

Ferrin nodded. He grew quiet now and the two recontinued their walk towards the Windmount Stables. Ferrins' new blade felt odd. It was the same one he had had, but it was a newer one. His blade was chipped and bent after the encounter with the bandits. While he was at the Mythryn Outpost he had to work to get a new blade.

The two rounded a corner of the street and now they could see the Windmount Stables ahead of them. "We're almost there. Just a few more chimes."Said Ser Xervos absentmindedly. He himself looked please that he was training Ferrin again. The two haven't been able to do it often.

~~~~~~

As the two reached their marked destination of the Windmount Stables, Ferrin pulled open one of the heavy barn doors and stepped inside. He avoided whatever remains that came from the horse's. After a few chimes of searching for Cyprus he heard a whinny. Ferrin coursed his lips into a smile as he found his companion. "There there boy." Spoke Ferrin softly. The Kenashian opened the latch of the gate that restrained the mare from escaping the barns; and took hold of it's reins. It's a good thing that Ferrin became a Squire. Otherwise, it would've been a lot of golden Mizas draining from his coin pouch.

Ferrin pulled lightly on the reins and Cyprus followed in behind. Light tapping sounds from his hooves sounded throughout the stable as Ferrin led him out. Ser Xervos pulled open the door. "Mount and get to the tracks. I want to see you ride. Come now."

The two had gotten outside already. Ferrin nodded and mounted. Ready to get his horseback riding training started

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 3rd, 2016, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ellenwyn on July 30th, 2016, 2:09 am

Ellen slipped her left foot in the stirrup and pulled herself up into the saddle. The leather creaked ever-so-slightly as it stretched and shifted, and she rocked once to make sure everything was aligned on the mare's back. As the redhead mounted another rider entered the arena, a tall young man with black curls and broad shoulders. He looked at the fence frequently and as she squeezed Lady's sides to ask for a walk, her blue gaze followed his. An older man leaned against the rail watching him. It wasn't a stretch to assume the two were knight and squire. Many occupants here were, after all.

As Lady walked to the edge of the arena Ellen adjusted her reins, drawing them in between her fingers until there was little slack. Her mare mouthed the bit momentarily and lower her head, collecting herself as her rider pushed her ribs with deliberate intent. Her stride stretched and her hips swayed, making Ellen rock gently side to side in the saddle. When they reached the fence she squeezed the left rein gently between her fingers, creating tension on the bit that Lady followed by turning. Ellen released the rein as the grullo mare lined up with the rail and allowed her to continue on. Swifter riders passed on the inside, trotting or cantering by.

They were coming up again on the dark haired young man from before. He didn't seem altogether too comfortable in the saddle, but it did look as though he'd ridden before. She nudged Lady into a slow trot and the mare picked up her feet, reaching out a little faster. Ellen sat the gait for now, relaxing through the hips and pushing deep into the stirrups. As they trotted by the young man she spoke out to him, quiet but still very forward, seeing as how they were strangers.

"Put your heels down."
Last edited by Ellenwyn on August 18th, 2016, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellenwyn
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 6th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Title

Even know, the squire really felt that he has been getting better at horseback. He figured wrong. Cyprus was quite stubborn, and riding him today.... Posed a challenge. One marked as difficult. "Come on boy, we've been through a lot together. What more do you want?" Ferrin whispered to the mare. The hunter brushed the thick locks of hair on the mares neck profoundly, but gently as well.

Ser Xervos stood by the fence, taking a drink from his waterskin. Ferrin noticed that the Knight was observing his skills at riding.

"Well, I do know how to ride..." Ferrin mumbled to himself as the two were about to reach the track. There was a female rider, with dark hair, she seemed to speak to Ferrin and Ferrin jumped as she did so.

"Put your heels down." She said. Cyprus snorted, but it wasn't one of those bovine snorts. It was one of those I don't care snorts.

"Oh... Thanks." Replied Ferrin slowly. The squire looked down, he noted that his feet were pointing up in the stirrups as he sat in the saddle. "How much difference will that make?" He asked politely, allowing himself to change his position. His heels were pointing downwards now.

"I'm Ferrin by the way." The squire said out of no where. Though, it was how Ferrin usually presents himself nowadays. Mostly. "What is your name?" Ferrin asked. "You don't happen to know a lot about horsemanship, do you? I think Cyprus here, has something against me..."

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ellenwyn on August 9th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Ellen squeezed the inside rein and guided Lady in a wide circle to come back alongside the dark haired young man. The beast he was perched atop didn't seem too focused on him, and the older gentleman at the fence hadn't made any comments yet, so the redhead didn't think she would be overstepping her bounds to help him out a little. She reined her mount in beside him and the mare stopped, planted firmly on all fours. One ear was twisted toward the other horse and rider, and Ellen made sure to keep a length or so between them else risk an outburst.

"It will help keep you in your seat." She smiled at him, noting the change he made. "With your weight pushed down in your heels like that it makes it easier to ask her what you want with your legs, and helps with bouncing. If you keep your toes down you'll be suspended and you'll both be uncomfortable. It makes you stiff." She wasn't an instructor or any kind but she knew enough to get by, and heels down was something that had been beaten into her as a girl. It was something of a manta for riders.

"My name is Ellen." Her eyes wrinkled at the edges with a toothy grin. It was obvious that she smiled a lot. "Nice to meet you." Ellenwyn glanced over at the man watching from the fence. He regarded them quietly, nursing a waterskin with a speculative expression. She didn't know what to think of him but he hadn't said anything to her yet so she mentally shrugged. "I know some. I can help you if you like, though I don't know how helpful I'll be." A bubble of laughter followed. "He looks like a good boy. I don't think he has it out for you; that's just how they are sometimes, you know? What is it he's giving you trouble with?"
Last edited by Ellenwyn on August 18th, 2016, 3:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ellenwyn
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 9th, 2016, 6:53 pm

[X] Timestamp and Location [X]

"Pleasure to meet you. This here is Cyprus. He's complicated." Responds Ferrin as he patted the stallions' head. The squire looked over to his patron who was just speculating their movements, Ferrin felt a little discouraged. Though, he didn't really care what Ser Xervos was going to say to him in the future. He didn't care where either, Ferrin was just glad that he was with his companion and that was what he wanted for awhile.

"I know some. I can help you if you like, though I don't know how helpful I'll be." Ellen spoke as if she knew slightly about horses. Ferrin, well he didn't know much. He knows how to talk to them though, he was taught that by an Akontak back in Kenash before he left his home and came to Syliras. The squire listened and nods.

"Thanks Ellen. I'll admit I'm not very good with horses myself, I barely know the basic facts of how to just sit on a saddle." Ferrin stated slowly. He looked down at his companion and sighed. "I really dont know what's going on with him, I think he has some against me. We've been through a lot lately anf I couldn't figure out what it was." Ferrin informs Ellen slowly, to make sure she'd understand and not lose tracj of what he was talking about.

Cyprus neighs at Ellen's comment.

"I believe he appreciates that." Ferrin says with a smile and rubbed beside his ears. "Though, the thing he's giving me trouble with is being uncooperative. Is there a way to get him to listen?"

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ellenwyn on August 18th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Ellen looked quite ponderous as she listened to Ferrin's plight. She would never understand why so many novice riders took stallions as their mounts. It seemed to be a popular thing to do among the Order, and while she understood such a need for their great Tiadens, a general steed for the learners was another matter entirely. Lady was eyeing the intact male and bristling noticeably. The redhead tapped her in the barrel with one heel and lifted her other leg off, opening the mare's right side, signalling for her to sidestep a few paces.

"Been through a lot, you say?" she finally asked after mulling it all over. "Maybe he's stressed - or is feeding off some or your own, whether you realize it or not. It could do you both some good to switch over to ground work for a while. Exercise him on a long line, build your trust back, and work on communication. It's no use riding a horse that doesn't want to listen to you, and you won't get anywhere by kicking him in the sides all day. A stallion without respect is a dangerous combination."

Lady tossed her head, bridle jingling, and Ellen placed a hand absently on her neck to silence her. She wanted to be moving, not standing in the middle of the arena while other horses gallivanted past.

"When you say he's uncooperative, what do you mean? Does he have certain habits or a reluctance to do particular things? Does he buck or rear? Try to bite you when you tighten the girth perhaps?" She nudged her mare in the sides and guided her in a wide, slow circle around Cyprus, more to give the horse something to do. She was still a little excited by the presence of the stallion - her tail was flagged ever-so-slightly - so Ellen bumped the bit a few times, back and forth with each rein, demanding her attention until the grullo mare finally dropped her head and relaxed.

"Maybe you could show me, if that would be easier. I can't promise I'll know how to help, but I can try to pinpoint anything."
Ellenwyn
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 19th, 2016, 2:39 am

[X] Timestamp and Location [X]

Ferrin listened as Ellen went on about how riding a horse wouldn't benefit the two of them. Ferrin took it all in, but he contemplated on what that actually meant, he's not very good with horses to be honest, he still has so much to learn. Ferrin and Cyprus has been through enough this season alone. Ferrin didn't realize that his own stress could affect the stallion in any way so he looked almost guilty of that once Ellen explained.

"Oh..." he said slowly, not so sure what to do really. He looked down at Cyprus, the horse whinnied and scrapped the ground with his right front hoof. Making sure to dig up some dirt and grass. Cyprus didn't pay much mind to Lady or Ellen, though he did feel their presence as the stallion looked down. Ferrin sighed and stroked the horses' neck. The hunter, could feel the tension in his muscles.

"So you'd think doing the basic things will balance out the stress?" Asked Ferrin after he looked up at his acquaintance. Ferrin paused, he dwelled on what Ellen explained to him. He needed to figure out what was wrong with Cyprus, and how to fix it. Was it Ferrin? Was he this relationship between the two of them... was he damaging it? Or was it just stressing Cyprus out through all of the things that the two had been through together. So many similar thoughts floated through his head and he couldn't decide what was wrong. Eventually, as Ellen continued on... Ferrin replies, "I don't really know what's going on with him... I'm not to acquainted with horsemanship." Ferrin said weakly, he flushes a little but quickly turns away. He was guilty for not listening to Cyprus. Now, whatever the hunter did to get him upset, Ferrin doesn't know how to resolve it. Not one bit.

As Ferrin recalls what Ellen asks of the things going wrong with Cyprus. Something inaide Ferrin just clicks and it appeared like an imagniative lightbulb flashed over his head.

"As I think about it..." Ferrin paused a little. "Cyprus has been stamping his hooves on the ground a little... like it hurts." Ferrin couldn't find the word that best suited for what Cyprus does, "could something be wrong with his hooves Ellen? Or is he trying to tell me something else?" Asks Ferrin curiously.

"He also doesn't like it when I inspect him for some odd reason. Though, he might be hurt. Injured. I hope it's not to bad..." Ferrins attitude shifted from content to nervous to worry. The Kenashian didn't know what was going on with Cyprus, perhaps Ellen can help him fix it. Hopefully.

Ferrin nodded once Ellen said that he should show her. "It's okay boy, don't be shy. Can I take a look at your hoof?" Cyprus whinnied and whipped his head. Ferrin pulled his head back to avoid getting hit by the locks of horse hair. Ferrin sighed. "Come on boy." Ferrin cooed. The squire was getting a little annoyed now. Ferrin couldn't understand what was happening with Cyprus. All Ferrin hoped for.. was that the stallion wasn't sick.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes