(solo) [Flashback] Getting out

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Lorcan on December 31st, 2010, 7:14 pm

Flashback: Getting out.

Season of Autumn, Day 12, 504 AV

Lorcan sighed, today was the day he would no longer be able to avoid it anymore. He was being kicked out of the orphanage. He sighed, again.. No longer would he be able to hang around the playground with Dervish, or just get three meals a day, miserable meals, but meals none the less. And so he slowly started packing up his things, some clothing, his book all ragged and torn from reading, some toiletries he received, a cloak for the cold, it had some strange symbol on the back, probably a black sun. Lorcan didn’t really care about Rhysol or the voice or whatever, he’d always thought there was something odd about that god. One time he heard some of the adults say they feared Rhysol, which confirmed his suspicions more or less. Still if anyone asked he’d say Rhysol be praised, mainly out of fear for the god himself and society around him. All that aside however it seemed like it was time to go. He grabbed his things and went to the headmaster for the last gift of the orphanage, namely some money so he could buy a house and pick up a trade. He was told it was a gift from the church of the black sun.

With every step up the long dark stairs he felt his heart grow heavier, he was really going to miss this place.. Sure Dervish would come out in a year, but years were so long! He got up to the second floor and knocked on the headmaster’s door. He’d been there a couple times before, it wasn’t a large room, but it felt ominous since it was very dark in there. With but a few candles lit, the cold in the room didn’t do much to reduce it’s frightening feel. ”Come in, Lorcan” Lorcan sighed again and pushed the door open. The headmaster was sitting behind his desk, with a pouch in front of him and an unusually friendly look on his face, usually his face was contorted in a very strict and mean way. Today he seemed kind of… nice.
”Greetings headmaster” “Hello Lorcan, good that you’re here, it is your last day isn’t it?” Lorcan felt like sighing again, but instead he said: ”Yes headmaster, I was told to come by here and receive the last gift.” “Ah yes!” The headmaster grabbed the pouch in front of him and shook it around a little, the jingling sounds of the coins within and the headmaster’s friendly face were a strange sight for Lorcan.

”I have another gift for you, or well, not really a gift. I am simply giving you back what is rightfully yours. I have kept it safe all these years.“ Lorcan became a little confused and wondered what the headmaster was talking about, in past times he’d have tilted his head a little, but these days he no longer had that little tic. While Lorcan was standing there, watching the headmaster, the headmaster got up and walked towards the darkest corner of the room and picked up some sort of stick which seemed to be wrapped in paper. He pulled it up and Lorcan squinted his eyes to get a better look at it. Then suddenly Lorcan saw the tip coming out of the paper, it reflected the candle light… Metal! ”Here we are, still intact it seems “ The headmaster put it on the table carefully and unwrapped the paper on it.

It was a weapon, the most peculiar he’d ever seen, it looked somewhat like a spear, but with an elongated blade. The blade seemed to be just as long as the hilt of the weapon, it also had a black orb at the end, probably for balance. When Lorcan looked closer to the blade he could see nicks and botches here and there, probably from use. But overall it still looked sharp enough to kill with. Lorcan looked up at the headmaster, he nodded and Lorcan picked up the weapon. Only now did he realize the weapon was almost as long as himself! ”What is it?“ Lorcan asked while staring at it.
”It is a sword-staff, I did some research on it and apparently it is quite the uncommon sight around these parts. It was given to me by your mother when she came here. It was her last request that you receive this weapon, I wanted to sell it, mind you, but I just could not bring myself to do it."
Last edited by Lorcan on January 10th, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorcan
Player

Words: 35386
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 3:10 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Lorcan on January 4th, 2011, 3:02 am

Flashback: Getting out.

So there he was... Standing outside of the gates that were shut for so many years, with only a backpack, some money and a weapon that had belonged to his mother in his hand. He'd actually never been out that much, sure they were allowed to get out when they visited the temple and everything. To pay homage to Rhysol. But otherwise he'd never seen much of the town.
Lorcan sighed and started walking towards the closest canal, there were enough Ravalosa there to take him anywhere, but he had no idea where to go... He felt lost and alone, just simply walking there, until he felt stopped by something.
"Hey watch out where you're going!" Apparently Lorcan had been so deep in thought that he'd stumbled into someone. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry" But the man had already jumped into one of the Ravalosa and was out of earshot. Lorcan mumbled: "Right, erm... if he can do it I should be able to do so as well." Lorcan took a deep breath, straightened his back, got up to the shore and held up his hand. Within the second one of the ferrymen had spotted him and put the ravalosa up infront of him. He had been in one of these only a couple of times so it took some stumbling before he actually got down.
"Where dya needa be kid?" The ferryman asked,
"Hi... uhm I need a place to sleep..." Lorcan felt like a beggar having to ask for a few alms... "Whadya mean kid? Like a tavern or somewhat? Eh?" "No no... more like I need to buy a house."
"Oh like that! Well, spose I could bring yah to the offices o' the NHC, they'll have some crummy place for yeh."
He heard the guy but wasn't really listening, he was still too homesick and sad to really care about that guy.
"Uhh sure... how much?"
"For you kiddo? 10 golden mizas"
Lorcan immediately woke up out of his melancholy when he heard the word golden, gold was a precious metal... and it wasn't to be wasted on people like! He was getting ripped off!
"What? No way! 30 silver mizas is all you're getting!" Lorcan knew this was too much to ask, but who knows, maybe with a little haggling he could keep the price at a low rate. "50!" "40" "45 do it or get out of my boat." Finally a price that might be a little fair. Though he was probably still getting ripped off. "Hrmm... fine."

After a scenic tour through the canal's of Ravok he had reached the Office of the NHC, whatever that may be... But he was there, he had payed the ferryman the sum of 45 silver mizas and had gotten on the shore in front of the building. He shrugged and walked in, hoping they could help him out, or at least point him into the right direction. He got in and immediately felt like this building was overwhelming him, the stairs the reception desk, Everything was clean and fancy. He mumbled something that resembled 'wow', then steeled himself and got up to the desk. "Hi uhm, I need a house, or a place to stay or whatever." The desk lady, a comely human woman with dark hair and a stunning pair of... eyes, barely looked at him and then gave him a form and a pen. "Fill this out and we'll get you a place." "uh, wha?" Lorcan was again overwhelmed but instead of stammering for a while, he grabbed the forms and then pen, then sat down in one of the chairs and started filling it in.
And so, after a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense he got his first place, but he wasn't done yet... now he had to go look for a job!

(Yes, I know I skimped out on the writing here and there, but I didn't want to get into the boring stuff that much)
Last edited by Lorcan on January 10th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Verilian on January 6th, 2011, 12:43 am

ImageRavok was a big place and there was much to see as the ferryman guided the small gondola through the shallow waters of Lake Ravok. To have lived a life in the city and not seen all there was to see was not so uncommon a thing as Lorcan might have thought, and there were many hidden wonders to be found. The ferryman pointed out a few of the cities more famous structures as they floated along, hoping to possibly earn a tip at the end of their short trip.

One such structure they passed on their way out to the Offices was the Defiled blade. "That's where most of the cities weapons are made. Almost all the guard and Ebonstryfe can trace their weapons and armor back to one of the craftsman at the Defiled Blade. I hear they're in the market for apprentices right now, if that sort of thing floats your boat. Me personally, I'd rather get a job at the House of Immortal Pleasures. I can't imagine having a bad day working there." Lorcan couldn't help but shudder at the thought as the ferryman grinned his wide grin, missing teeth abound. Eventually they came to the Offices of the NHC and the ferryman pushed off the shore, not waiting to see if the young man would need another ride. Surely some other boat would come along.

Armed guards hired by the NHC eyed the boy as he entered the building, but said nothing to him. The clerk barely noticed him until he addressed her, and then she was all about business. The form's she handed Lorcan were fairly simple, asking for a small bit of information and detailed the different housing options:

Nitrozian Housing Commission
Request Form

Name:
Race:
Place of Birth:

Please Circle the Desired Unit Size Below:

• Average Small Cubicle - 15gm / month
  • Average Medium Cubicle - 60 gm / month
  • Average Medium Cubicle w/Balcony - 80 gm / month

After looking over the documents Lorcan realized they were for leasing purposes only. He was seeking a permanent shelter, and expressed his desires to the clerk. "Oh... I see. Hmm..." The clerk stood and walked over to a bookshelf, pulling out a large logbook before returning to her desk. "Yes... it looks like you are lucky. We did acquire a place some time back, and have been looking to sell it, assuming you have the Miza's. Small place, over near the merchants ring. It was taken as payment from a client who defaulted on his rent. I believe he was using it to store something or other, but it should have enough room for one or two people as long as you don't mind close quarters. It's an even 500 if you want it, and feel free to take anything we left inside." The clerk peered over at the logbook, eying Lorcan expectantly. She did not hide her look of surprise when he actually produced the mizas, and quickly drew up the paperwork to make the property his. That's it then. The place is yours. If you need directions just ask one of the guards at the door and they'll show you the way. Was there anything else you needed, or are we done here?"

On that cue one of the guards from the door walked over to stand behind Lorcan. He didn't appear threatening, per se, but having an armed guard stand behind you was never a good feeling. The man stood nearly a foot taller than Lorcan, and was sporting a nasty looking curved blade hanging from his belt. "He purchased the place over by the Defiled Blade," the clerk said to the guard, who nodded and walked back to the door, waiting until Lorcan was ready to go.

OOCPost has been edited so you may have a permanent structure. Its the basic 20x20 (400 sq ft) single room structure you get in your starting package, complete with conveniently left behind bunk, chest, chair and table, and has a small fireplace on the back wall.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Lorcan on January 11th, 2011, 4:34 pm

After he was done with the clerk and the massive guard had showed up behind him he couldn't help but turn and look up to the man. He thought to himself: Wow... hes huge... I should hurry up.
"Yeah we're about done here." He said with a slight waver of fear in his voice. The guard behind him was really unnerving. Even though he had his sword staff strapped on his back, he'd hidden the blade in the same paper he'd received it in. He planned to buy a leather sack or something to cover it up. After the guard had walked to the door Lorcan glanced at the clerk once more before nodding and walking after the guard.
"Hey uhm, could you show me the way to this, or well My new place? " Putting some emphasis on 'my' because he just realized he'd bought a house, his life was beginning, a new road ahead... If only Dervish was here, he'd be less alone.. He breathed deep while following the guard. He thought to himself: "This man is just a man!... With a big nasty sword.. Still would he really kill a child, wait I'm no child, I'm an adult now! I'm sixteen, I own a house." After this he gathered up some courage and spoke up again.
"And while we're at it, could you tell me something about the Defiled Blade? I hear they're taking apprentices."
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Verilian on January 15th, 2011, 2:29 am

At first the guard was indifferent to Lorcan, glancing down at him and nodding silently. The guard led Lorcan out of the building and down the street to the water, where they would go back to the Merchant's ring and to the shed that was now Lorcan's new home. Lorcan could barely contain his excitement at the thought. He was a man now, he had a place of his own and would soon find himself a job, assuming he didn't piss off the large armed guard next to him before he got there.

The guard was actually a friendly sort, as Lorcan quickly discovered once they'd waved down a boat and purchased a ride back into town which the guard paid for. He was quite talkative, introducing himself as Jona Blackwater, and by the time they got to their destination Lorcan knew everything there was to know about Jona. His favorite color was green, but not dark green, Jona liked bright lime green. He was fond of gardening, but being so large, and considering there wasn't much soil out on a lake, he took a job as a guard working for the NHC. His mother's name was Sheila and his father was Adam, a retired fletcher. Jona was the breadwinner of the family, and was interested in a young Acolyte by the name of Emily, but she was more in love with a god she had never met than she was with Jona. Jona's favorite food was eggs, scrambled with tomato's on top. He also enjoyed fishing, long walks on the beach, and telling his life story to anyone he met.

When Lorcan was finally able to get a word in, having already made it as far as the outer part of the merchant ring, he asked about apprenticeship at the Defiled Blade. "The Defiled Blade? I knew a fella who used to work there by the name of Tommy Oleander. He was a funny fella, had a way about him I didn't trust. Guess the Ebonstrye didn't trust him either, cause last I heard they was haulin him back to the temple for some crime or other." Jona shrugged, helping Lorcan exit the boat as they docked. "That reminds me of a time back when I was a boy, and my dad caught me tryin to steal an apple from the apple stand. He said, 'Jona! Don't you be stealin them apples or the Stryfe'll come and getcha!' So I didn't steal um, and here I am. Don't break the law here in Ravok less you wanna piss off the Law, right?"

Jona led Lorcan down the road, stopping next to a rather dilapidated looking building. "Well, here we are. Lemme see if this key still works." The guard shoved the key into the key hole, turning it and jiggling it every wich way until finally the lock clicked and the door popped open and he handed the key to Lorcan. The inside of the building was dusty, but appeared undamaged and looked like it would even keep water out if it rained. There was some furniture strewn about, nothing of any real value but all in useable condition, and a dirty fire place on the far wall. "Hope you enjoy your stay. Probably be wantin to fix the place up a bit, if you ask me. My pa always told me keepin your home in good condition was one of the most important things a man could do. Course, you'd be needin some money to do that... oh! You wanted ta know bout the Defiled Blade. I think I remember my buddy Glen mentioning somethin about them lookin for new blood at the forge. Just head on down that way, might get lucky and find yourself a job early on. Thats what my pa always told me... don't wait, get yerself a job as soon as you can and get out of this house." Jona scratched his head in thought then shrugged, "Don't know why he wanted me out of the house so badly though, seein as how he kept almost killin himself when I was a boy. I figure he'd want me around to make sure he stays healthy. Keep's tryin though, usually right after I leave... guess he misses me."

Perhaps the guard would have continued going on and on about things nobody in their right mind would care about, or perhaps he would have given Lorcan some useful information, but the world would never know for at that moment, just down the road, somebody cried out for help. Jona, having somehow heard the cry over his own rambling, turned and spotted a woman being chased down the road by a man with a knife. "Hey," he shouted as he drew his sword and ran in their direction, "You leave her alone!" He shouted something further about his pa and how you should treat a woman, but Lorcan either couldn't hear him anymore or wasn't listening. He had a house to explore, and Jona was finally gone.

Years later Lorcan would come to find out that in actuality, it was the woman who committed the crime, and the man with the knife was actually a member of the Black Sun just trying to get his money back. Jona was arrested for killing an innocent man and letting an enemy of Rhysol escape. He was tortured, questioned, and then killed. ...but that is a story for another day.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lorcan on January 16th, 2011, 1:36 am

When Lorcan finally had gotten his own word in he expected that Jona would at least say something useful with the stream of words that came from the man, but to no avail. Instead he had to listen to him go on and on about whatever the hell seemed to come to the man's mind. It was amusing at first, but obviously it became progressively more annoying as time went by. He did learn a valuable lesson about the Ebonstryfe, one that he already figured out for himself a while back... But it was still good to get conformation about it every once in a while. Finally they neared Lorcan's new house, Lorcan realized this as soon as Jona quieted down for a second, looking for directions and street names, rather than talking talking and... more talking. He'd kept his cool by breathing deep and thinking about the Defiled Blade. He realized he'd sort of be working for the Ebonstryfe, but all in all it could be his dream job... He'd only need to get in, he clenched his left fist and breathed deep again. Suddenly Jona stopped, next to a shabby cottage, or so it seemed.
"Well, here we are. Lemme see if this key still works." He noticed the guard messing with the key and figured the lock was probably a simple one. Probably a Lever tumbler lock with only 3 levers, pathetic... He would have to make work of that some time, in his book there was quite a bit of talk about locks and how they functioned, it gave him great insight and... if needed, an entrance through every door. As soon as Jona the guard was done jiggling they both stepped through, though Jona had to bow his head a little. He looked around, staring at the dust, the various pieces in furniture he might be able to fix, the fire place and a bed. The place smelled like nobody had been there in weeks. Then suddenly Jona started talking again and Lorcan was just about ready to unwrap his sword staff and finally see what it could do. He'd been curious about the weapon ever since he'd gotten it in his possession, but never found enough time to practice with it. Even though Lorcan wasn't really in the mood for more of Jona's chattering, when the words Defiled Blade came by he couldn't help but raise his head and look at him.
"... Bout the Defiled Blade. I think I remember my buddy Glen mentioning somethin about them lookin for new blood at the forge. Just head on down that way, might get lucky and..." the rest simply became as white noise in Lorcan's ears, for all he knew Jona could've been chatting about bunnies eating kittens and he still wouldn't have noticed, what he did notice was the opportunity to become a smith! He'd have to be an apprentice though... But he'd learn things, he couldn't help but smile, ever since he was a kid he'd been dreaming of becoming a creator, a crafter or a smith. Yet again a breeze of stillness appeared when suddenly Jona just got up and left, Lorcan had no idea why nor did he care all that much, the annoying guard was finally gone!
Lorcan closed the door behind Jona and put all of his belongings on the table, it creaked a little but seemed sturdy enough. Then he slowly reached for the sword staff strapped behind his back, he unwrapped the paper around it, carefully, and also placed it on the table, displaying it in all of its glory. Slowly he picked up the weapon that'd belonged to his mother, a person whom he knew nothing about yet hated a little for leaving him all alone to fend for himself.. Still she'd given him this, a weapon with which he could defend himself, his mother wanted him to be able to stand up to anyone who tried to bully him into submission. And upon this realization Lorcan didn't really hate her anymore. He still wasn't very fond of his father, mostly because of the same reason as his mother, but all in all he could still be out there somewhere, minding his own business while his son was all alone. Lorcan suddenly sighed at the thought of being alone, he wished Dervish was here to do something stupid so Lorcan could come rescue him again. It was a comforting dynamic. For now however he'd have to contend with this place, this blade and the search for a job.
And so, with blade in hand, he couldn't help but grab it tightly as if he were about to be in a fight, he had no idea how to hold it but figured he'd put his left arm at the lower end and his right just below the blade. First he tried jabbing in the air. This was as easy as poking something with a stick so he got bored after a few jabs, next he tried slicing through something, but as soon as he lifted the blade up it touched the ceiling and Lorcan instantly halted when he felt the blade being stopped, he didn't feel like destroying his new roof already. This however did make it clear he'd need a better place to practice this with... so for now he put it next to his bed and lied down on it, it was quite comfortable and seemed to have been newly changed, probably to make the place sell faster. He knew he had to make his way to the Defiled Blade, but the excitement of today caused him to be quite tired and hungry, he figured he could take a quick nap and a little snack before going there. Slowly he closed his eyes and drifted off.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Lorcan on January 19th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Lorcan slowly opened his eyes and stretched his arms making a relieved noise, he shook his head and suddenly realized it was dark out! He'd overslept! Quickly he jumped up and started gathering his things until he realized that there was suddenly some orange in the sky, he looked up at the window and saw the sun going up, not down. He realized that because he'd been up the night before, worrying about leaving he'd gotten so tired he slept two nights worth of sleeping. So he put his stuff back down, both the cloak and the backpack. He relaxed and rubbed his eyes, he felt refreshed and hungry. He looked down in the backpack he’d just put down and noticed some left over breads from the orphanage.
”Hehe”. He sat down on his bed and quickly shoved them down, they didn’t taste too great but it was fine for now. After having eaten and cleaning himself up a little he sighed and got up, this was the big day then, He’d either become a smith or he’d have to find some other way to express his desire to create things. He’d never known why he wanted to make things into other things, to make sense of the world by putting things together, subtracting bad things and causing something useless to become something beautiful and worthy of existing. Thinking to himself he figured he’d need a regular place to eat, but he’d find that out when exploring the neighbourhood.
“Hrmm, I need to get going”. He said without sure where to go actually, then figured he could probably ask one of the ferrymen. So once again he looked up at the sun and saw it had just passed the horizon completely, it was a new day and a new life was beginning for him. So once again he’d grab his things, a backpack, a cloak with the black sun on the back. It’d been getting colder and he liked the cloak around him, even if he didn’t really like the god that was associated with the symbol on it. When he’d gathered everything he breathed deep and headed out of the door, locking it securely and making sure it wasn’t easily busted.
As soon as he was outside he noticed it’d been raining while he was asleep everything smelled as if it’d been cleaned by some obscure god. He started walking down the street, heading towards a canal so he could find a ferryman to take him to his destination, his future.
As he looked around he couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by the sights and sounds of Ravok, a city under an iron fist of evil, but with so much life and happiness. He didn’t worry much about it, instead he just enjoyed walking there. Letting his eyes wander while the city slowly awoke. He walked down to one of the canals and signed for one of the ferrymen to come closer.
”Whatcha need kiddo?” ”Hey there, could you tell me how to get to the Defiled blade?”
”Sure I know where it is, hop in.” Lorcan figured he could just as well walk the distance, it couldn't possibly be that far away.
“Nah I’m good, could you just give some directions ?” ”It’ll cost yeh.” The ferryman said with a gleam of gold in his mind and on his eyes. Lorcan knew this was going to happen. Of course it’d cost him, those ferrymen were all greedy bastards… Lorcan searched his pockets, flicked a silvery coin at him and the ferry men stuck out his arm and pointed towards a large stone building with a couple of huge chimneys reaching up from the roof. It seemed inactive until he started walking up to it, soon enough smoke started pouring from the chimneys. Lorcan couldn’t believe his eyes, this was it, the moment he’d been waiting for, the possibility of failure didn’t even spring to mind as he put his hand on the door to the smithy and threw it open, bathing the whole room in light. He looked around, breathed deep and tapped the first person he came across on the back and said:
“Uh.. Hi. I hear you’re taking apprentices? I’d like to become one here.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Verilian on January 21st, 2011, 5:57 am

The ferryman was certainly greedy, charging such a high fee for something that took only an ounce of energy to point out. Indeed the Defiled Blade was only just a short walk down the road, but on the bright side that meant Lorcan could easily walk to work each day, saving him the trouble of having to deal with money grubbing ferrymen. The smoke rising from the chimney was a sight he would grow used to seeing as he went to work each day. The Defiled Blade was open for business day and night, and rarely did the establishment shut down. It's craftsmen worked long hours, but produced some of the finest items in Ravok.

Lorcan could feel the heat of the forges as he entered the building, and all around there were masters and apprentices working away at their wares. Racks of weapons and armor lined the walls, and bins filled with various tools were found in aisles on one side of the forge. The young man Lorcan addressed was carrying a handful of such tools, and nearly dropped them as Lorcan inquired about work. "What? Oh, you'll be needing to talk to one of the owners about that. If you'll just hang on one second..." The young man hefted his handful of tools into a bin, then turned to face Lorcan. "Alright, right this way."

The young apprentice led Lorcan to the far side of the forge where a short man was discussing an axe head with a taller man. The short one turned when Lorcan and the apprentice approached. "Uh, Master Ares. This guy wants an apprenticeship." Ares gave Lorcan a quick look up and down then turned back to the tall man, "That's enough for now, go finish sharpening that then bring it back when you're done." "Yes, master Ares," the tall man replied then hurried off to his station.

"Alright," Ares turned back to Lorcan and the apprentice. "So, you looking to be an apprentice, are you? Do you have any experience? No? Don't look like it, but I suppose that's alright. We happen to need some extra hands right now, so we'll take you on. Consider yourself lucky, I'm usually more picky. Adam, take him to Master Isen. Since his last apprentice broke his thumb he's been needing an extra set of hands, I'm sure he'll be happy for it."

Image"Right, sir. Come along then." Adam led Lorcan back across the shop to a large older man beating some metal on an anvil. The man did not look up when they approached, but just kept hammering away. "...ahem?" Still he hammered. "..ahem? Master Isen?" Now the smith looked up, giving Adam a fierce glare. "What? Can't you see I'm busy. I've got a million and one pitch forks to make and I don't need you interrupting me!" Adam fumbled nervously with his fingers, "Well.. uh."

"What? Come on, boy, spit it out. I don't have all day!"
Adam cleared his throat, "I have a new apprentice here.. Master Ares says he is to work under you."

Isen set his hammer aside, giving Lorcan the once over. "Humph. Doesn't think I can handle it on my own, does he? Oh well, he's the boss. You can go now Adam." After Adam left Isen took the piece of metal he was working on and stuck it back into the fire. "So, I'm guessing you'll be needing some instruction. Hah, like Ares would give me a seasoned apprentice. Hah! Lemme guess, you just moved out of your parents house and this is your first job? Completely green.. oh well, it is what it is. I'll need you here at sunrise every morning. I start work early. I'll send you home at sunset most nights, unless I need you longer."

Pulling the metal out of the fire Isen sets it back on the anvil and beats it a few more times, flattening it out and splitting it into three forks before shoving it back into the heat. "Be here on time every day, and you wont have any problems with me. Show up late, and I'll keep you here all night. Now that that's out of the way... my name's Isen, Isen Redwater. I've been working metal since I was six, just like my father and his father before that as far back as anyone can remember. So what's your story?"

Isen RedwaterIsen comes from a long line of smiths. He is quick to anger and slow to laugh. Learning under him will be tough but rewarding. He runs a tight schedule, but is an excellent teacher.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lorcan on January 23rd, 2011, 1:07 am

All around him was the heat of the forges, the banging of the hammers and the shine of the metal. The tools the weapons the armor, it was all as grand as it was exciting. The smell of the place was intoxicating, the sound of metal banging on metal was like music in his ears, he truly felt at home here. He was lead through out the entire smithy, not speaking a word while he was there. He was simply too absorbed the excitement of it all. When they got up to master Isen Lorcan was pulled out of his dream and focused on the smith banging his hammer against the metal. When he put his current piece back into the forge he started talking.
"So, I'm guessing you'll be needing some instruction. Hah, like Ares would give me a seasoned apprentice. Hah! Lemme guess, you just moved out of your parents house and this is your first job? Completely green.. oh well, it is what it is. I'll need you here at sunrise every morning. I start work early. I'll send you home at sunset most nights, unless I need you longer." After that he looked at his piece of metal again, Lorcan just stared at the hammer going up and down onto the metal. "Be here on time every day, and you wont have any problems with me. Show up late, and I'll keep you here all night. Now that that's out of the way... my name's Isen, Isen Redwater. I've been working metal since I was six, just like my father and his father before that as far back as anyone can remember. So what's your story?" After he was done talking Lorcan realized he was supposed to say something back and after a moment he regained his senses."Uhm hi Mister Redwater, my name is Lorcan, and I... I'm actually an orphan. Not that it really matters but since you said I'd left my parents house which isn't true. Anyway i've read a lot about blacksmithing and locksmithing in my book, but I doubt that'll help much in practice. So yeah anyway I would really like to become a smith, it's something I've always wanted... might be in my blood or something I'm not really sure. But what I am sure of is that... " Lorcan was so nervous and excited he couldn't keep his mouth shut much longer. "Hold yer tongue kiddo, book skills aint gonna do you much good here, got that? Now lemme have a look at you." Mainwhile Lorcan had been breathing a little heavier and had shut up because the master had spoken he was in awe of this man. Then when Isen took a closer look at Lorcan's hands he noticed some silvery veigns.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Verilian on January 28th, 2011, 4:21 am

"Let me see your hands, boy."

Isen took Isen's arms by the wrists, flipping his hands over palms up to examine them. He muttered something under his breath then noticed the silvery veins running through his arm. The man had seen such things before, and in fact the owners of the shop boasted their own silvery veins as well, albeit more pronounced all over and of course, much harder. But Isen recognized Lorcan for what he was and nodded approvingly.

"Got some Isurian blood runnin through ya, I see. That explains the desire to be a smith. Most people don't just want this job, it's a hard one, see. Long hours, heavy lifting, inhospitable working environment... but it's a rewarding one if you give it time. We'll see how you feel in the days to come, Lorcan."Image

Dropping the subject Isen turns back to his workbench motioning to the numerous tools covering the table. He picked up the hammer and showed it to Lorcan. "When most people think of a blacksmith they think of the hammer and anvil, but there's a lot more to it than that. You've got your chisels, files, grinders, tongs, swages, fullers and many many more. Even the anvil has various parts, from the base to the horn, the table, the face.. pritchel holes. In the coming days it will be your job to familiarize yourself with all these things, get to know them. Learn how they feel in your hands, how they feel against the metal."

Isen grabbed an unworked block of metal from his workbench, showing it to Lorcan. "This is iron, but we work many metals here. Copper, iron, gold and silver, steel... and for the most skilled, we have Isurian Steel. There's also cold iron, occasionally we do glassworking and other things as well. You'll learn it all in time, but for now you will be working mainly with iron and copper. Right now I'm making heads to pitchforks..." Isen gives Lorcan a look that wipes any kind of look off his face. "It may not sound like the most glamorous type, but it's an important tool. We don't always make weapons and armor. You'll have to learn to make the boring stuff too. Leave the weapon making to the experts for now, nobody wants a rookie made sword that falls apart in a fight."

Isen set the hammer down on the anvil next to the block of iron. "So... would you like to give it ago. First lesson right here. Turn this block of metal into something else... I don't care what. Just do it."
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Next