Brown And Grey And Blue Besides (Shimoje)

Shimoje and Mathias meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Gossamer on September 11th, 2016, 3:04 am

Timestamp Early Fall 516 AV

The Clearwater River and Stair Step Falls were of particular interest to Mathias. If pressed, he'd say his relationship with Xhyvas drove him to always walk the beach beneath the falls, but the truth was he had developed - since being in Syka - an itch for artifacts and gold. And both could be found not only on the beach but on the steps above.

Cascading down a rise in the east edge of the Maw where the Suvan touches it, Stair Step Falls is the exit point of The Clearwater River that flows out of the Falyndar Region to the sea in a series of stair steps down to the beach.

Other than its breathtaking beauty, Stair Step Falls is known for two things. First and foremost, big nuggets of gold have been found in its depths and washed up on the beach where the water spills across the accumulated sand. Both by excavating and panning, significant wealth can be had via seekers with the skill and patience to hunt for it.

Secondly, Stair Step Falls is known to turn up artifacts from pre-Valterrian Mizahar most notably the city of Pavena. Some of these artifacts consist of simple things like jewelry or silverware. Whole and partial ceramics and metal items have been found as well. After particularly high water events, even magical artifacts have been unearthed. No one seems to know where the Clearwater River is churning up these little tokens, but its definitely worthy of further investigation by the right individuals.

Mathias felt he was definitely one of the 'right' individuals. In fact, he was fixing to look higher today as the beach hadn't lead to any new discoveries today. The man was stripped to the waist, had his pant legs rolled up, and was prodding some of the deeper pools on the beach in hopes of finding treasure.

So far he'd just come up with a few shards of pottery. Higher up on the stair steps he hoped to actually run into something unique. It killed the time, broke up his retirement day, and gave him something to mull over as the long warm Syka days slowly drifted past. Mathias knew there were secrets here and an ancient city that all but surrounded them. He just didn't know much beyond that, not even its name.

He paused, took a drink from a flask he had sitting in the shade at the base of the trail that climbed the steps, and then looked up the trail, preparing to climb it and look higher in the falls. His Gnosis was giving him a gleam of possibility. A dagger, one made up of blues and browns hidden in the grey stone, was a possibility he was getting. It was there, somewhere in the water, waiting for the possibility of discovery either by him or someone near him. Mathias couldn't wait.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Shimoje on September 11th, 2016, 3:59 am

Not everything was always easy for Shimoje, and exploration was one of them. Being in a completely unfamiliar territory was scary. There were no comforts in his isolation since arriving to Syka, and after being land locked after literally drifting there hanging on to whatever life he had, he felt like he had lost. There was no telling what he would get himself into, and all he knew is that he had to make something of himself to earn a living. Shortly after waking up be headed out to explore once again. It was a dangerous thing to do, but there was one thing that he knew. That running water almost always ran somewhere.

After marking trees and working his way through a small section of the jungles he found himself vulnerable and afraid. Later choosing to follow the water, hopefully back to the beaches he was met by the falls. A bit thirsty and a bit entranced by the falls he decided to take a sit near the edge overlooking the ocean.

The beach and the ocean was absolutely beautiful and relaxing. A deep breath was met by closed eyes and a subtle breeze that pushed forward a delicate smell. With a slight glow on his palm his mark of lykata shined brightly.

"Eyris, I am not sure where I am in the world or if you can even hear me. This place called Syka is strange and enticing. I hope to learn more.

Every day is a new one with new discoveries.

Guide me in my approach for knowledge. Help me in my adventures."

His words were soft against the wind and just as his eyes opened he spotted the man below. Unsure if it was a sign from Eyris or not the bald headed Zeltiavian paid homage to the fact that it shouldn't be ignored. Not even sure how he exactly got to the top of the falls Shimoje looked down in question to the man. It looked as if he was searching the waters for something.

After standing up and carefully trekking a bit into the shallow portion of the falls he looked over while holding onto a steady branch with one hand. Using his other hand, his marked hand, he picked up a steady rock from the bed of the river and threw it down below to try and get the guys attention.

"Hey, how do you get down from here? " he yelled while looking over. It wasn't soon afterwords that something with a subtle gleam from the sun started to float down the stream and into the falls. He attempted to catch it but was unable to grasp it quickly enough while trying to keep balance. A slight touch from his fingers on his marked hand managed to glimpse the object. In the process he was cut, and in the stifling surprise he swore he heard the sound of metal pounding into metal. A sound of a forge.

After the object cut his index finger he instantly yelled out

"ahh... something cut me up here. Be careful its headed down! "

He almost lost balance in the process and followed suit with the strange object. Shimoje want much of the climber and he wasn't too good at falling either. His scars were a testament to that.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on September 16th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Goddesses weren’t often ones to answer prayers immediately. Neither were the Gods for that matter. But sometimes they did listen, after all prayers often powered them in mysterious ways mortals did not and perhaps would not ever understand. So when Shimoje offered up his prayer, however brief, the Goddess who had marked him responded not unkindly. A brief warmth infused him issuing from his mark and spiraling outwards. It was so fast, so sudden, that when it was gone, he perhaps would be left to wonder if it had happened at all.

Scanning the area afterwards, he spotted the man below. Older, stripped to the waist with his trousers rolled up, the man looked to be curiously having a very good time. There was a woven mesh bag threaded through his belt that looked to contain shards of pottery though nothing more. There was an anticipation in his eyes when he looked up and paused to drink from his flask. Those eyes met Shimoje’s and a smile briefly flickered through his gaze as the stranger below re-stoppered the flask and hung it too from his belt.

Calling up, the man was almost laughing. “You don’t have to get my attention by throwing rocks! I might be old but I see you fairly well. It’s the light. Best time of day when its right overhead, no?” Mathias called up, laughing, and then answered Shimoje’s question. “There’s a trail. I’ll show you. I’m on my way up anyhow. Just watch. I just wanted to check these pools before I climbed higher.” He shouted over the noise of the waterfall. It wasn’t easy to hear him clearly, but Mathias had been here before. His pitch and tone were near perfect for carrying over the sound.

It was at that moment Shimoje noticed the gleam, reached for it, and was cut. There was no tug of power, only the bite of pain, and a flash of something from the Lykata. The blade slipped past him and headed over the slight tumble of falls towards the next step.

Mathias started to move when Shimoje shouted that something was headed down. The older man spotted it instantly, already alert due to his own gnosis of possibilities, and had it captured neatly when it lodged momentarily between two stones after its tumble down to Mathias’ level. The older man a bit drenched fetching it out, but waved it excitedly at the man on the higher level. He moved swiftly and surely through the rock pools of the falls until he was on the right side below Shimoje. There was a trail there, something smallish for animals but Mathias took to it like a deer, and headed up one more level. He was parallel to Shimoje in a heartbeat and waving at him from slightly to the side of the falls where Shimoje stood.

If the other man joined him, Mathias would offer him the dagger hilt first and grin. “It’s a beauty! I’m Mathias btw… one of the founding settlers in Syka. Who might you be? I think I’ve seen you around but we haven’t had the pleasure of speaking yet.” He added, offering his opposite hand for a shake.

“I come here looking sometimes. The oddest things can be found in these waters. Artifacts if you will. I think there are ruins upstream or something that wash things down when the water’s high in the river. I thought the weather was nice enough today to hike further upstream and explore.”
The older man said, taking a moment to really observe Shimoje and study him with a keen eye.

“What brings you to Syka?”
He asked forthrightedly. Mathias didn’t beat around any bushes in his speaking. He always got to the heart of the matter.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shimoje on September 16th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Title and Date

Not to soon after his prayer Shimoje began to feel warmth. It was already far warmer than he was used to, but the bald headed Zeltiavian was finally getting used to it. He hadn't drank a lot this morning so when the warmth caressed him he almost wondered if it was one of those things he liked to call sun flashes. The sun here was a good bit brighter than Syliras, and when it beamed down on him you could often see him pat his bald head for the brief relief it gave.

At this moment he shrugged off the warmth, and took a few much needed and almost animalistic gulps from his waterskin and fastened it back to his belt. Shimoje was the sort that didn't care how he dressed. He much preferred utility rather than looks, and most would regard his choice of outfit questioningly of it wasn't for his other features that distracted them first. Strange and almost abstract tattoos across his bald head created a pattern and map that only Shimoje knew. He would tell someone if they asked, but no one had ever done such.

After getting cut the rather strange and tooled out Zeltiavian walled away from the edge to meet up with the peculiar Explorer. Despite the brief pain he had on his finger he was smiling. Not completely sure if he was enjoying the pain or excited to finally find someone with a similar heart to his.

"How does an old man move like that? I often just get caught up in brush and sometimes even slip. Nice to meet you sir!" Shimoje returned the greeting and performed a proper Zeltiavian bow to the man. He wasn’t necessarily raised well, but he did have customs drilled into his head. This man was one of status at that. A founder of Syka? Shimoje often heard of them, but was never able to actually meet one. He was excited, and didn't want to make a bad impression so he attempted to hide his cut after the bow by placing his hand on his tools which were fastened to his belt. Across his belt were kits, jammed full of tools, and the weight was appearant as it often effected the way Shimoje walked. There was a wood carving kit, gadgeteering kit, surgeons kit, crafters kit, a pouch filled with nails, a hatchet and strange looking club which contained daggers inside, and a hammer. Each seemed to be positioned around his entire body, and was perhaps the single most identifying thing about his silhouette. One could easily pick him out in a crowd from his features, and he was very very protective of his tools. They were his life behind Eyris.

"May I observe? I have a knack for these sort of things." Shimoje held out his hand as matthias handed him the hilt of the blade. Immediately after taking the blade from matthias the strange founder would notice Shimoje's face construe, as more sounds and images came to him from his mark of Lykata. It was a normal thing for Shimoje, and one that he didn't care to hide. He was if anything fairly open about who and what he was, though he did have his secrets. Yes, Shimoje had a lot of secrets. They were only hidden behind his own personality.

The visions came to Shimoje, the first impression of the blade had just been of it being formed. The sound of a great forge and pounding of metal. This time the impression of the artifact was more clear where he got to see the purpose of the artifact, lining it to its past.

His mark was often confusing at times, and required him to touch multiple things in an area to get a full picture. After handing the dagger back to matthias he simply smiled "You can keep the dagger, I have my own after all. This one seemed to be forged here in Syka a long time ago. You guys don't have a forge do you? Also that metal is like nothing I've touched before. It's a strange alloy, and I know just a little bit about metalworking. "

After matthias had worked on explaining why he was there, he properly delved into the questions of asking Shimoje why he was there. It was a good tactic and one that worked on Shimoje. Taking Matthias' status into consideration he decided to tell the truth, and shake his hand in return. Though it made him seem long winded.

"Artifacts, huh? Ide love to go explore with you. I was born in zeltiva. Shortly after my father died I got a letter and this wood carver kit by a messenger saying that he died near Syliras. My neighbor placed me with a trade ship called the Tipsy Wench. Oh, the adventures I had on that ship! Well, I got to Syliras after a long trip, and there I did a bunch of stuff and got into trouble searching for whatever killed my father. I encountered bandits, thieves, a few weird monsters, and none of them seemed to be the result of my father's death. That's when I get a letter from him."

A short pause followed Shimoje as he sat down and re-experienced everything he went through. It messed him up mentally quite a bit and required hypnosis just to clear his mind of it all, another story to it self.

Picking up some sand and rocks and fidgeting with it while he talked the bald headed Zeltiavian continued on, his mood instantly in a run.

"We'll it turns out after working with a mage in syliras that my father could have been doing a magic called Animation. One which I later experimented in myself. I wanted to surpass my father and prove him wrong even if he is in the after life. Well anyways, my father child have been attempting to create something unworldly and died of he could have died by a result of of one of his golems not taking to the commands given to them. Anyways it was weird that I received the letter after my father had already been dead, so I'm not sure if he even is dead. It got to be too much. So I decided to get back on the Tipsy Wench and leave. "

Standing up a smile erupted from him knowing his whole life story was about to unfold on the man. "We'll, nothing ever goes as planned. While heading to Riverfall to conduct trade, we were attacked by a Svefra boat, not sure why. Probably pirates, but who knows. Anyways during that attack I was manning a ballistae and feel overboard. That's when I drifted to Syka. Since then I've been stuck here, but I intend to stay. There's something peaceful about this place. And artifacts, well I can never turn those down. Eyris would smite me if I gave up on such an opportunity. "

Shimoje smiled, and didn't mean to get so long breathed, but this man was a founder. He heard that founders helped people get settled in Syka, and Shimoje had a lot to share, and a lot of potential to prove himself.

"So about these ruins? You did they are upstream. Let's go, and while we are walking you can tell me about yourself and Syka. It's only fair, right? "

Starting to walk forward the bald headed guy patted the old man on the back as a gesture of friendship. Something Shimoje needed, but he figured that a founder would have better things to do than be Shimoje's friend. He thought of this adventure and exploration of these ruins turned out to be good that he would be able to explore with Matthias again.

Shimoje watched him as the founder curiously looked at the dagger while walking and explaining himself and Syka. As they walked a few strange noises were heard. Like exotic birds, ones that Shimoje hadn't heard before, but the jungles weren't native to him so he mostly dismissed the calls. He was more interested in the ruins. And it wasn't soon after that he thought he spotted them.

Running forward Shimoje was like a kid again. Like when he first started exploring gadgets and making discoveries of scientific nature. Pointing at the ruins the bald headed Zeltiavian showed his youth and excitement to his much older counterpart. "Look I think these are it!"

That's when suddenly one of the bird calls got louder and seemed to be a bit more defensive. As if the two had encroached on its territory.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on September 18th, 2016, 5:02 am

“Very carefully.” Mathias said with a grin in response to Shimoje’s question about how one his age moved so fast. Mathias wasn’t truthfully that old. “But for all that I’m only 45 years old and I’ve climbed these steps more times than I care to count. The draw of finding interesting things is just too much to pass up.” He added, nodding to the waterfall and the treasure contained within the rocks they could not see… not at least until it decided to reveal itself.

“It’s nice to meet you as well.” Mathias said with a smile as Shimoje bowed. “You must be Zeltivan.” He added, a smile crossing his face. “I’ve done many hours of study in their great library. It’s probably the one thing I regret the most about Syka. I miss books and couldn’t bring any with me. I suspect the humidity would completely ruin them after a time anyhow.” He added, huffing a little from the steep zigzagged climb on the narrow little game trail.

Mathias took his time looking Shimoje over. He noted the tools, the kits, and the various objects hanging on the man. The founder himself wore a simple rucksack, was barefoot, and seemed to only have a small machete sheathed and hung off his belt. “You look well prepared to take on just about any task. What are in all those pouches? More tools?” The scholar turned adventurer asked.

“Sure I’d love to have company. But I would hope you’d do more than observe. I plan to walk up river as far as the light gets me today, maybe even camp overnight, and head back in the morning. I’ve yet to see any sign of where all these objects are we keep finding in the river and surf are coming from.” Mathias confessed, glanced up above Shimoje as if judging the trail ahead, and shook his head. “So observe, no. Participate, yes. Definitely. And you’d be more than welcome. I appreciate company, especially someone new who hasn’t heard all my old stories yet.” Mathias said, a pleasant smile on his face. The man was more than friendly. He was almost charismatic in a way. He really did have a knack for making people feel welcome and appreciated.

When the dagger was offered back, Mathias smiled and slipped it into his bag. He saw too many possibilities for the blade, one or two of which looked appealing to him. He definitely didn’t need it himself, but it would be invaluable to someone who’d arrived in Syka with nothing on their back.

At Shimoje’s comment about artifacts, Mathias nodded. “Yea. We’ve had some unusual stuff wash down the river. We can usually pick them up on the steps or at the beach. Even if its nothing as intact as this dagger, we still get raw materials… broken twisted pieces of metal. A blacksmiths dream really, though we don’t have a forge here yet. We need one badly too. Just the other day I needed a set of hinges and I can’t get them until James’ gets back to Riverfall and resupplys. I keep hoping a blacksmith or someone skilled with a forge will show up. It’s one of the reasons we’ve been spreading the word that we are starting a settlement and giving away land. Why, I was a smith I’d take the land next to the steps here just for the sheer chance of gathering raw metals on the beach as they wash over these falls.” The founder said, adjusting his belt and heading further up the falls with Shimoje.

Mathias was a good listener and as Shimoje’s story came tumbling out, he looked interested and nodded. “I think if I were you I’d have a lot of questions about my father.” His gnosis itched but Mathias refused to take a moment to look. He didn’t have to be a priest of Xhyvas to know the possibilities of Shimoje’s dad’s fate were endless. Looking would result in a headache, of that Mathias was sure. Mathias nodded at the fact Shimoje had gotten a letter from his dead father and looked thoughtful. He didn’t offer any advice as the story continued, instead wanting to hear it through until the present. Shimoje had definitely had an interesting life. And it was no less than fate that had brought him to the settlement.

“You are lucky you washed ashore near Syka. It could have been so much worse. One would even think maybe you were fated to be here.”
He added, looking thoughtful. “I hope you stay too. It sounds like you have an odd range of skills, some that we really need here as well.” Mathias replied, wondering if Shimoje had ever learned if his father had died or if he’d lived. The man was interested to know but wasn’t the prying sort. The human could talk if he wanted too. Shimoje would tell him, in the end, as much as he wanted Mathias to know. No more, no less.

Shimoje seemed friendly and curious. Mathias welcomed the ongoing conversation. He liked meeting new people. “Well, there’s not much to tell about me. My father used to be the leader of the Sailor’s guild in Zeltiva though he’s long retired now. I grew up there, was educated in the University system, and groomed to fill his shoes. I had other ideas. Now I’m a priest of Xhyvas and wandering the world looking for my one true calling. I suspect it’s here in Syka. I’ve found I’m fairly good at organizing things, even settlements, and the food and weather is a lot better here than it is in Zeltiva.” The man said with a grin.

He outright laughed when Shimoje thought he discovered the ruins. It was a long low wall that lead to some sort of overgrown building. Interesting, sure, but nothing that looked significant enough to generate artifacts flowing down in high water. The pair approached the ruins and Mathias gave them the once over. He shook his head, noted where the wall lead, and easily pointed out a few things. “I would bet this was an old mill of some sort. It could have been a saw mill or a grinding mill. Probably used the water to power it. Interesting place. We should explore, but not what I was looking for. I was looking for something bigger, less predictable… something further upstream. I just don’t lnow exactly what yet.” Mathias added, pausing to rest a moment and stroke his chin.

“Explore further or take the time to scout this place out?” He asked, leaving the decision up to Shimoje.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shimoje on September 18th, 2016, 6:12 am

Title and Date

"From the University? My father used to live there. I don't normally share my last name but I'm Shimoje Arawn. My father would have been some what of a historian I believe. He specialized in technology." Shimoje was curious to learn more of Mathias, but he was far more interested in the possibilities here within Syka. Warmth once again hit him, and underneath the shade of trees his mark from Lykata would be that much more noticeable. A faint glow which emanated from a peculiar symbol on his palm.

As the two walked through the jungles it was clear that Shimoje wasn't used to traversing such terrain. Looking around he noticed interesting wild life and shrubbery that he had never seen before. Every now and then while walking through he would side his hands over a large leaf or touch the bark of a tree, just to see if he can feel anything from his mark. Though, his mark didn't really work that way. Gifts from gods and goddesses were curious in that manner, but it didn't stop Shimoje from trying. Every day was like a new discovery and the more he used his special gift from Lykata, the more he learned about it, and gained knowledge into the things he touched.

"I have a wide assortment of tools yes. I can make just about anything if I put my mind to it." Shimoje smiled and knew that all he had to do was study or tinker to figure something out. Although it wasn't what Lykata willed be could even use his mark just to gain knowledge into creating things. Knowledge was treasure, and far more valuable than what Shimoje would potentially realize. "Well then, I'll be sure to help you as much as I can."

The two started their journey and just as Shimoje handed back the dagger to Mathias be got one last impression of the strange artifact. He heard the sound of it sliding into something, much like a key, and rotating. The following clicks and turning sounds made him realize that the dagger was something more. More than just a weapon, but a tool. He wasn't sure if it was a good time to share this knowledge or not, but he took note of it.

"Syka sounds like a place of opportunity." Shimoje almost interrupted while walking. Matthias then continued on until finally be mentioned the need of a blacksmith or someone to make hinges and the sort. As he finished Shimoje went on to describe himself a bit more. "Consider me a handy man more than anything. A scientist and gadget tinkerer. While I don't know blacksmithing really, I do know metalworking and can easily make door hinges, and the sort. I might even be able to go further than that and create special doors which can open and close on command. I enjoy scavenging and its easy enough for me to turn things into other things which are far more useful. I'd be happy to take a place here by the steppes and work to provide anything strange or needed to Syka. Like an oddities workshop, every day might be something different in working on, and I enjoy variety so maybe I'll learn blacksmithing too. "

Shimoje smiled and started to imagine himself working a forge and finding new artifacts. Exploring the jungles and unlocking the secrets to Syka. He knew he had himself in a position which warranted an individual like himself. He felt needed, and that felt good.

"I do have a lot of questions of my father, but there are other things in the past that is more important. More important than me... " Shimoje went on and smiled, trying not to be rude" and more important than you. History helps unveil why things are the way they are. As we study the past, the people who lived there, and what happened... We learn more about ourselves. " Shimoje was levels into deep thought, and almost wondered if he learned more about the past if it would unveil why things were the way they were, or if it was all just a lost cause.

"I am lucky, you see these teeth on this armband? They were added after a spearhead attacked our ship and I killed it with a ballistae, but it seems im unlucky with the sea, cause I fell in after that too. They are incredibly heavy for a fish, y'know" Shimoje smiled towards matthias as they kept on waking. As matthias explained about Xhyvas, Shimoje looked at him with a number of questions in his mind. "Your full of surprises, first one of the University and now a priest. This Xhyvas, is a god I'm assuming? I was blessed myself by Eyris myself, and normally I don't share this with anyone but I'm allowed to see impressions from objects. Like that dagger there, it was forged here in Syka, so at one time there was a forge. Also it isn't just a dagger... It sounded like it was once used as a key to open something. " Shimojes face went blank, nursing to the fact that he had said too much. In truth Shimoje was far too trusting.

As the two continued and Shimoje pointed to the ruins, or what he thought was the ruins, his excitement still remained. Regardless or not he was excited cause it was still a discovery. Taking a moment Shimoje knelt before the wall and shared an open prayer to Eyris.

"Goddess of Knowledge, I ask too much of you. My pursuit of knowledge has never before been of such great need as it has now. Allow me to read the history of this land, discover the knowledge long last... Allow me to view in your grace the history of the past. "

As he finished his prayer that Matthias would have surely heard he placed his hands on the wall and a great surge of warmth and light overpowered him. The vision made him close his eyes, the touch seemed to feel fresh as if the structure was brand new, and he learned. He saw what he could but it wasn't enough. Like a scrounging dog he worked his way around the building curiously scavenging for something that could be used to view to tell of the building, until finally he found a piece of old wood that looked like it had been carved. Shimoje was familiar with carving, it was one of his favorite hobbies, so as he picked it up he was able to tell how skilled the crafter, no Carpenter was. The chavi of this area was overwhelming, if Shimoje focused enough he might be able to locate similar chavi nearby, but not with out help.
"This area feels strange. Whatever is here was from a very long time a go. It is very hard to put a grasp on. I'll need more to discover more information. We should go further. "

Shimoje finally stood up. He observed and waited for matthias to take the lead this time. Though, not without conversation.

" using water to power what exactly? There are more questions to this place than there are answers. Allow me to build near the beach down by the steppes and I'll aid you in whatever way possible. I'm sure that Eyris would be pleased as well. "

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on October 11th, 2016, 3:32 am

Mathias looked thoughtful. “Arawn? I’m afraid I don’t know him but I didn’t sit through any history courses either. I was more into classes that had a tendency to annoy my father. History would have pleased him too much.” He said with a chuckle and then nodded. “I might have learned something useful had I studied under a historian specializing in technology. I often feel we have lost a lot of ground in that department since the Valterrian.” He said softly, thoughtfully, then offered a smile and seemed to perk back up.

It was a nice walk through the jungle with companionship. Climbing the stair step falls wasn’t that strenuous. There was a trail, one Mathias obviously knew well, and the underbrush was somewhat open once they reached the top and went by the ruins of what Mathias thought was an old mill. They walked as they talked and Mathias noted the Lykata mark on the back of Shimoje’s hand. He said nothing but raised an eyebrow in acknowledgement to it, a gesture the other man might readily pick up on. Mathias listened to Shimoje talk about his tools and his skillset. For the sake of the settlement, Mathias hoped Shimoje’s talk was legitimate. If he could do what he said, then maybe things would be a little easier on the settlement if they had someone that could make things no one could acquire unless someone sailed to a big city.

“That’s good to know. The settlement needs more handymen who can tackle certain tasks. I can build anything I set my mind too with wood, but I’m not as good with metals. I used to have a brother who was the blacksmith. We lost him a few years ago, but I still miss his quick laugh and skilled hands.” The older man added, looking out ahead of him. They’d hiked quite a ways now and the jungle was thickening around the waterway they were walking along. So far, other than a few stray foundation remains, there was nothing to be seen that might generate artifacts.

“You are right. There’s a lot of opportunity here. A lot of potential even more so. You can be something here that you might not be able to be achieve elsewhere. Talent gets lost sometimes in big cities, but here it will be valued beyond measure.”
The man added, then quieted to listen to Shimoje talk about himself some more.

He examined the teeth on Shimoje’s armband. They looked like they were from a large shark. He listened to the story and nodded. “I’m familiar with Eyris. I’ve never met her myself, but I’ve known two of her followers. They were interesting people.” He said, not commenting on Xyhvas other than to indeed agree with Shimoje that Xhyvas was a god. He did this with a slight nod. Shimoje didn’t ask any questions so Mathias didn’t feel the need to speak of it any further.

The open prayer was nice, though Mathias silently disagreed that the current need was a great need. He was just a hobbyist collector of artifacts. Life in Syka gave him a lot of free time and today was the day he’d decided to search further upstream of Stair Step Falls. He wasn’t in need per say but perhaps Shimoje was. Mathias studied him and wondered if perhaps the man was without purpose and such a thing was what he was seeking to find. Maybe. Or maybe the crafter was just indulging a flare for the dramatic. Mathias had sat down with Xhyvas over more than one beer and in doing so had determined that people were all different and so too were the gods. Their conversations had been long and drawn out, discussing all sorts of things from the quality of the brew to the fate of mankind.

Xhyvas had been trapped in the past a long time. He was just getting up to speed on the now. Eyris or at least a follower of the Goddess would have been a big help. He wondered if his lord had ever sought out Knowledge. He would ask, indeed, next time they spoke.

The crafter was touching the wall with his gnosis. Mathias could indeed recognize the sight of a gnosis power in use, even if he had no idea what Eyris granted her followers. Mathias waited patiently while Shimoje performed his functions and then listened quietly as he spoke. Mathias’ eyes scanned the old ruins and wondered what Eyris’ gift was that told him the place was old. Flashes, Shimoje had said. Perhaps it was like his own gift, though Mathias could only look forward, not backwards like Eyris’ followers seemed to be able to do.

“Clever gift. Sounds like it feeds you a lot of information.” He added, still watching Shimoje’s actions. Mathias was casually standing, arms folded across his chest, and leaning in part against one of the broken walls leading to the waterway. It was partially obscured by vines. A colorful red gecko was peering at him defensively as if he was mad at the older man invading his territory.

“So it was a mill then of some sort? Water can power so many different things. Would you be wanting to use it for the same reason? Wanting land near the Stair Steps down by the beach? I have no issues of you settling there and taking your five acre parcel in that vicinity. I can scout out the area sometime in the next day or two and mark the boundaries.” Mathias said, turning to leap over the wall and continue heading upstream. “Come on. As interesting as this wall and foundation is, its not what I was looking for. There should be something else… something upstream.” Mathias said, moving away from where Shimoje was standing.

If Shimoje followed, they’d head upstream. Sometimes they had to bush wack, but Mathias had a large machete he wielded fairly effectively. Approximately two miles beyond the falls the rushing water calmed slightly and opened up to a shallower glide. It took a corner as a riffle and then opened up suddenly to the bank of a large lake. On one bank of the stream, opposite of where the two men were standing, was what looked like a ruined – nearly destroyed – set of foundations. That wasn’t the most interesting part however. Further out into the lake, protected on all sides by the water itself, was a set of ruins on an island. They gleamed as if made of metal, and though they were definitely ruins due to the fact several walls were obviously gone, they were still intact enough to recognize as almost alien in their design. Such things normally meant one thing.

“Gods….” Mathias whispered. “Pre-Valterrian!” He said, gesturing to the foundation across the stream and indicating something else. “Look… those foundations lead into the water, as if the shore was once attached to the island...”

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shimoje on September 4th, 2017, 8:43 am

Perplexed at his previous statement and a bit excited over the offer that Matthias had given him, Shimoje was revitalized. In a new light he followed Matthias upstream. He was still so unsure of how he got this new land. "Syka is it?" As they approached the stream Shimoje's eyes got wide. "Syka is that!?" He exclaimed in a almost a screeching melancholy. His curiosity exploded from his lips that once softly uttered prayer to the goddess of knowledge.

Then it hit him. Pre-Valterrian. Shimoje couldn't remember where he heard or read those words. His history wasn't always the best, but all he knew is that it almost sounded as name. He pondered upon the words, but alas nothing could come forth to his feeble mind. In his escapade of thoughts he knelt down to the waters, trying to catch a reflection.

Just when he was about to stand back up his leather belt broke, causing his pants to fall, the strange series of events caused him to fall into the water. At first the shore seemed shallow, but in the struggle of getting up and falling once again, he somehow drifted further in. "Paddle, paddle damn you. Why can't I move my legs! Oh Shit!" He thought. The collection of wood in his pack weighted him down for a moment and then bobbed him up, like a helpless turtle struggling to turn itself over on land.

He was not going to lose his pant. He struggled and struggled to get them off around his ankles. During the struggle, he kicked down and figured out that he was in shallower waters than he thought. "Crap, great impression Shimoje."

Picking himself and his pants back up, now soaking wet, Shimoje turned to Matthias and let out a sigh.

"We might be able to get across. Not sure yet if it get's deeper than this, but I am sure fate will make a test subject of me. Want to venture forward?"

Without due consideration, the eager bald guy decided to take careful footings forward regardless. His eyes were full of eagerness, his butt half way hanging out trying to keep it his pants on his waist, and nothing but fate to cross his path as he worked towards the other side.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes