Solo The Library (WIP)

[Job]Phira helps clean the library.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

The Library (WIP)

Postby Phira on September 11th, 2016, 6:50 pm

38th Fall 516
______

When Phira accepted the job to clean up the library she was feeling like stepping out of her comfort zone. She thought, "I should really get out and do new things." At the time she had forgotten how much she detested reading. It wasn't that she hated the words, or the stories, or the knowledge in the books, she hated reading. She was terrible at it and she had very little patience for her own inabilities. Still though it seemed like an easy enough job to do for some coin, and even though the library itself was deemed rather useless by Sunberthians she would do a good job. Plus there were those supposed cursed slabs, but she wasn't really superstitious. She was, however, cautious of proven danger.

Making her way through the streets making sure to steer clear of any shady looking people. Which was hard to do in Sunberth where everyone was shady looking, but there was a particular type of shady that she avoided heading upwards towards Stumble Alley. The kind of shady she was talking about was the kind that was far too interested in her; so interested that they followed her. She had heard things about the Daggerhands and another off the radar gang fighting over this area of the city and she didn't want to get caught up in that sort of mess.

She had to have walked up and down the street looking for the building that was hidden in plain sight. For her it was new news that a library existed at all. Why would there be a library here of all places? The only thing people read around the city were the posts that were pinned to various job boards, which were in themselves simply written. Which begged to be questioned, what kind of books were in there? What sorts of things did the old miners that once lived here read? Or where they the ones that did the writing? Surly there was a tome or two that was written by a miner or one of their family in there.

She stood outside The Majestic, a rather obnoxiously named bar if she did say so herself. Never having been around here it was hard to navigate. Noticing that she was getting suspicious and mean looking stares from many a person, especially those 'shady' people she had wanted to avoid. She was about to give up and go back home when she looked to the building right next to the bar. It was right in front of her! She must have passed it a million and two times walking up and down the street. She blew a mixed sigh of relief and irritation, and got over there as quickly as she possibly could.

The building was two stories and worn out just like every other building in this old city. It was no wonder it was over looked by her. She was expecting something a bit more...grand if that was the word for it. Back in Zeltiva one could spot the Wright Memorial Library from a mile away. She had no idea what she expected in this city. She stood outside of it and knocked unsure of if she could just enter or not. It wasn't like a tavern or a store...hell she wasn't sure what she thought this place was. There couldn't be that many books here. Right? She opened the door slightly, "Hello!?" she said loudly before opening the door further and stepping in.

The place was a mess! Books and papers all over the place, entire book cases toppled over, the curtains were ripped and the tables and chairs were strewn about haphazardly. The place was indeed of needing a good cleaning, but it was more magnificent than any other building she had been in while in Sunberth. It was so unlike any other place in the City. The little clean up that had happened she could imagine how grand (in Sunberth terms) this place could be. Books piled high on bookcases and on tables, and the book cases lined the walls from top to bottom, on each floor. Again the question of what kind of books were in here crossed her mind.

She stepped further in to the first table, curiously looking around for any signs of life before pulling a book off the top one of stacks that littered the table, "D-Dan-gur-o-us Ani-mals: Oon-der-gr-oond Edi-ton.. she tried to read.

"Well that doesn't sound right." she thought as she put the book back on the stack. She took a few more steps over debris, and around furniture, and tried to read the titles of a few more books before she got to the staircase. Obviously she took one step too far and was met with a sword to her throat.

"State your business!" a woman hissed in her ear.

She held up her hands to show her that she didn't have a weapon herself, as stupid as that was. She didn't carry a weapon on her at all, which she had always hated. She was lucky in this city so far, and she knew it was just a matter of time before that luck turned sour. It was just even if she did have one she wouldn't know how to use it.

She slowly turned around and eyed her assailant carefully. She was a broad woman with black hair and a very rough expression. Somehow she knew that the woman had very few happy expressions to show, but that didn't stop her from smiling any way. She wasn't stupid, she knew that her looks got her by more than talent did, so she didn't see why it wouldn't work now. "I'm Phira. I came to help clean the place." she said looking into the woman's eye and not at her sword.

The woman looked at her intensely, as if to read her mind, then lowered her sword slowly, although she felt that if she made a single misstep she would be met with it again in a blink of an eye. "Well come on. Remmy is wait'n for ya." the woman said gruffly and began walking towards the back just as careful to avoid stepping on the books as she was.

She couldn't help but breath in deeply and let out a large sigh of relief before she followed. She wondered if that was why people never came to the place. If visitors were met with a sword upon entry then why would they come here? But if that were true than how come the place was broken into and vandalized so bad?

They made their way through the sea of books and in the very back was another woman, sitting in a chair, book open and glasses on. She didn't seem to notice that they were there, looking more satisfied with the words on the page, than anything else.

She stood quiet behind the large woman, and the large woman stood quiet as well, almost respectfully. It wasn't until a minute or so passed by that the large woman began to tap her foot irately. It seemed like disturbing this woman while reading was a bad thing to do. If the sword wielder wasn't going to tread on that line, then she better be careful not to either.

A minute of so went by before the woman in the glasses, Remmy she presumed, looked up and snapped her book shut. "A visitor? We don't get very many visitors. Why don't you grab a book and pull up a seat." She said with a welcoming smile.
Last edited by Phira on November 10th, 2016, 1:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
So my computer hasn't been acting up lately and I am going to give posting a shot. So if you are still here and have been waiting for me to reply, thank you for your patience, and thank you for being understanding. I will get to them as soon as I can ;)
Phira
Player

Words: 132381
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 7:50 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Library

Postby Phira on September 14th, 2016, 3:10 am

38th Fall 516
______

Phira shook her head in an intimidate 'no.' Did she mention to herself today that she hated reading? She was sure she did. She didn't have the time for reoccurring thoughts right now and moved her way from behind the sword woman to in front of her, "I'm Phira. I came to help you clean. she said simply.

Remmy sat back in her chair with an 'oh' formed on her smiling mouth, "Well then, maybe later. There are some very good reads in these piles. she said and stood. The girl was not so much tall as she was lanky, her limbs long, and her eyes, although obscured by glasses, were ever so watchful of her. She placed the book she had been reading on one of the stacks and walked over,"I hope you are a hard worker, we have a lot to do today. You aren't easily spooked are you?" she asked in a low tone.

Another shake of her head, "Yes I am and no I'm not." she said slowly. She grew up in a Myrian clan and showing fear was just an easy way to become a target of the other kids. So even if she was, she would never tell this woman or the sword woman that she was. 

Remmy smiled and Lotharia seemed to be skeptical of her answers. People always underestimated her in those regards. She didn't mind blood, she didn't mind gore, she didn't mind cannibalism, she didn't mind death. At all. It was something that had to happen. In spite of people trying to stave it off as if it were a bad thing. It wasn't, at least she didn't think so. Live on a rather small island inhabited with ghosts and the goddess of death, and one would see it that way too. At least she couldn't see anyone in that situation seeing it any different way.

Remmy lead the way out of the room and she followed, "That's good. As you can see we had someone break in here last night and some less than desirable things happened. Lotharia isn't much of a cleaner, but she will be putting up the fallen bookshelves, and I am going to be helping you reorganize the books. So we need someone to set up all the bookshelves, pick up all the books and papers, organize them, and toss out all the broken stuff." she explained. 

Was that all? That seemed easy enough. "I can help with all that." she said meaning to sound confident but the way the sword woman, Lotharia, was looking at her made her sound impish. She knew her alphabet and she knew how to count, so this could be something she was capable of. Hopefully she wouldn't make too much a fool out of herself.

"Great! Come on then, I would say start with the top and go down." Remmy said. The woman looked like she was doing a little dance stepping over the books and piles of debris. She mimicked each step joining in the 'dance' through the walls of books. each were careful not to step on too many things. She was still in awe of the place. How could no one know this was here? 

They stopped in the middle of the first room she walked in. The woman took notice of her curiosity and stopped. She took two steps back and threw up her hands in a grand stance, "This is my library! Knowledge of past times, worlds to escape to when you are bored of this one, rhymes and riddles to boggle your mind are all under this one roof. And you needn't even pay for admission. All I ask is that you never take a book out of here, but if you must you can copy it.” she said with grandiose. 

She had to admit that this place had a certain allure to it. It was quiet and calm, she would like it here...if not for that subtle feeling of doom and the reading. But if she lived here then she would learn how to read, so it wouldn't be a big problem any more. Of course that would take a lot of patience that she didn't have for that sort of thing, so she wouldn't be moving in any time soon.

All that did sound rather magnificent though she wasn't sure what any of it had to do with cleaning. She guessed if the woman was in a talky mood she might as well get some questions answered. She gave her a smile, "That's very impressive Ms. Remmy but why a library? There must be other ways to spend your time.” she asked trying not to make it sound offensive.

Remmy scoffed and threw her a mysterious smirk, "There are tons of ways to spend time, though I see none that are more worth while than reading. While owning a library in Sunberth isn't the most profitable of enterprises, it is by far the most satisfying." she said and motioned towards the staircase. 

She couldn't deny that. Different things made different people happy. She couldn't help but slowly begin to like this woman more and more. She was eccentric and knew what made her happy, and she was ashamed of none of it. She followed Remmy down the worn hallway. The faded wallpaper was coming off in panels, and cobwebs clung themselves to any and every corner and edge. If she listened closely enough she could hear the brats chewing and clawing behind the wood walls. "If I may ask, did those slabs I keep hearing about cause this?" she asked looking around to see if she could get a small glimpse of them.

She couldn't deny her curiosity over these popular artifacts. Were they truly bad? Did they cause bad things to happen? Were the people around them just full of bad luck? Was it a domino effect, after one bad thing happened, another happened, and another, and another? If it was the slabs then why bring it into a city full of people? Why put them so close to danger? 

Remy laughed, "Who knows? It could just be someone pissed off me. Or Lotharia...in fact it probably was someone Lotharia picked a fight with."

Well she did seem like the type to go to The Blood Pits and fight and gamble with some one who would hold a grudge. But that was her business. She nodded and looked around at the mess on the second floor. It was just as bad, maybe a little better because the bookshelves that weren't broken were put back up and were ready to be filled. 

She hardly had any idea of where to start. How was she supposed to organize this? Where did she go if she had questions? Because she was going to have a lot by the looks of things.

"I will start on the other side and we can meet in the middle.” she said and began on her way to the other side of the stairs. She was being generous or maybe she was being territorial, either way her side seemed to have far more books to sort than the other side.

She just nodded and walked over towards the back corner, left to her own devices. She began picking up the books and making sure papers weren't sticking out of them every which way before putting them into alphabetical stacks. A's in one pile, B's in another, C's in another, and so on. The dislodged papers were a different story. She just had to stack those in a pile of their own because she didn't know which books they belonged to. She tried reading some of them and didn't get far. She would leave that up to Remy or even Lotharia to put them back where they belong.

Last edited by Phira on November 10th, 2016, 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
So my computer hasn't been acting up lately and I am going to give posting a shot. So if you are still here and have been waiting for me to reply, thank you for your patience, and thank you for being understanding. I will get to them as soon as I can ;)
Phira
Player

Words: 132381
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 7:50 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes