Open [Training Grounds] Shot Through The Heart

...And I'm to blame (Garland trains his archery, will most likely be a solo if no one joins)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training Grounds] Shot Through The Heart

Postby Garland on December 24th, 2016, 6:26 am

Garland was a bit surprised at Ferrin missing, but by the looks of it Ferrin was still use to a bow and arrow, he shot over the target. He didn't comment, but it was a bit odd how Ferrin had missed, at this range the bolt should have fallen short rather than over.

Garland nodded and took to the range. "I have one saving grace here... Hand crossbow doesn't have the range of a longbow."

Garland nocked another arrow on his bow, and with three fingers, pulled it back. He didn't have proper training with bows, a few informal lessons at most, but never proper training. He pulled back to his chin and waited, aiming his arrow as well as he could.

He could feel the tension building up in his arms, he was by no means weak, but he was use to holding the bow for long. He relaxed his grip on the string and let the arrow fly. He did not release the string lightly, he had jerked the bow and in turn the arrow flew off to the side.

"Shyke." Garland cursed and stepped back. The arrow was long gone, missed the target and just disappeared into the mist. Garland let Ferrin take the point and get his own shot ready.

"The target is about thirty to forty feet. Somewhat out of the range of the crossbow, aim a bit higher, Ferrin." Garland pointed out. "But... don't jerk the crossbow up like last time, the bolt would fly overhead and miss the target entirely. Keep your arm steady."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 15th, 2017, 7:25 pm

"Still going to say Ferrin would win, compared to a longbow, a novice crossbowman would have to be have a better chance of hitting than a novice longbowman because of the shaking. The only downside of a crossbow is reloading the darn thing. If anything the crossbow is accurate, but not fast."

Ferrin looked at Garland with a confused look, he was uncertain. The hunter hadn't really used a crossbow before; in fact he had never used a crossbow, and never really decided to study the anatomy of a crossbow. He should understand the simplicity, of loading a crossbow, he figured how hard it will be. Aiming, since he never used a crossbow, he wasn't sure how the aiming would work.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that Garland; I don't even know one thing about a crossbow, besides what they look like." Ferrin huffed in a troubled breath. He studied the crossbow again, the trigger was something totally new to him.

Garland gave Ferrin a few pointers, and Ferrin smiled.

"Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and when your using a longbow, make sure to keep the string pulled back. The force is what gives you the distance, and it's easier if you line up the shot; you can do that by keeping the line string adjacent with your peripheral vision. Make sure your breathing is well mannered, and oh- don't forget to tilt the bow up also." Ferrin felt like he sort of lectured Garland, but Ferrin had only seen him with a shortbow one other time, and they are definitely different when comparing them. "Good luck," Ferrin added as support.

Ferrin kept his arm steady, like Garland had said that he should. He angled his shot, he fired at the target after a few ticks and cursed as the bolt scraped the top of the target. "Seems to me like we're still tied." Ferrin spoke in a competitive tone, shoulders hunched. He was ready for more action.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Garland on May 16th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Garland watched Ferrin and he could understand why he was missing, the fact that the crossbow was used for more short ranged attacks and focused more on penetration than speed was a factor, but it seemed like the weight of it was the thing that made Ferrin inaccurate.

Garland thought about giving a few more pointers to Ferrin but he was scraping the bottom of the barrel for his crossbow skill and knowledge, and they were in a contest.

"My turn." Garland said and moved up, he looked at the target, seeing it in the distance, a longbow like his had enough range to hit the target, but he was pretty sure he'd mess up somehow.

Shooting a bow wasn't quite like aiming a crossbow or throwing a stone. Garland took out an arrow and raised up his bow.

He brought the bow down, pulling the string as he went, he closed one of his eyes and stared down the range.

His hands and fingers tensed as he watched the target, his arm shook and swayed to the tension and he fired.

He let the string go, he held it back pretty far and he wasn't accustomed to firing large bows, the string backlashed him, and hit his face. He winced as skin broke from his face. "Petch!"

The arrow flew pretty straight and landed on the target at least. But his face stung and blood dripped from the broken skin. "That's annoying."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on May 21st, 2017, 5:39 pm

There was a shiver that slipped down his back, Ferrin had a wicked feeling that something or someone was watching him, but he shrugged it off as he watched Garland's arrow fly and smack against the target. Well... at least Garland had hit the target. Ferrin was sure that he would have. Though, as Ferrin turned to support Garland, he noticed the scratch that his string left on Garland's cheek.

Blood as light as red paint was slowly pooling around his cheek. Ferrin cursed under his breath as he realized he should have warned Garland about the string that could have possibly hit his face. It was a feeling that someone wouldn't usually forget, though Ferrin was forgetful and didn't tell Garland about it. Especially his longbow was pretty sensitive when it comes to training.

"Are you okay, Garland?" Asked Ferrin as he titled his head to observe the small gash. He could smell the scent of copper as Ferrin focused in on it. He didn't bother to get close to Garland, but a cut like that would pain anyone. Though, Ferrin figured that Garland had also suffered worse pain; like maybe getting stabbed by a blade or something?

Ferrin registered the look that Garland displayed on his face quite clearly. He was annoyed, but Ferrin couldn't really tell if Garland was angry or upset, or even both. That bothered Ferrin.

"At least you've hit the target... and I should have said something more about the string." Ser Xervos stepped in from the sidelines and decided to confront the situation at hand.

"I don't know much about medicine, but if it gets worse you can always see one of our healers? Do you still wish to continue the competition? You two only have a couple of attempts left." Ser Xervos spoke with a smirk and glanced over at the target. Ferrin looked at Garland suspiciously to see whether he wanted to move on with it or send him to the healers.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Garland on June 9th, 2017, 6:30 am

Garland just smiled and wiped away the blood. "Pfft, it's fine, Ferrin. I should have been more careful. Whiplash is a bitch, or was it called backlash, I dunno the archery terms." Garland said and looked over to Ser Xervos.

Garland shook his head and smiled. "It'll be fine, the blood with clot soon and we can continue." Garland held his hand on the wound and already the bleeding was slowing down a bit.

After a while he was fine and ready to continue with the competition. He was somewhat annoyed that they had to wait for him to heal though, it wasn't life threatening and he certainly had worse.

Garland waited for Ferrin to shoot his crossbow, they each had a few shots left, it shouldn't take long for them to finish. The fog was making Garland a bit claustrophobic right now. It really bugged him.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous