The Syka Mercantile: Abroad

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Postby Mercer Stormhand on October 10th, 2016, 1:47 am

The Syka Mercantile: Expansion
A currently very small extension of the Syka Mercantile, Mercer Stormhand captains a small catamaran that allows James and his business to import/export a somewhat larger amount of supplies as well as offering passenger transportation service.

Business Type: Exporting/Importing and Service
Services Offered:
- Transportation: 2 GM/day

Base Income: Sailor 6 gm/day

Skill Bonus: Competent Sailing 9 gm/day
Sale's Bonus: 1 gm/day

Total Income: 10 gm/day

Assets:
Catamaran
Ship's Boat

Debt: 1300 GM

Notes -
Obviously, I really don't know what I'm doing here. A very rough business plan that could use some fine tuning, and I'd appreciate any sort of pointers as well as strong critique if necessary.

Edited to take into account the 1500 GM loan cap.
Mercer Stormhand
Player

Words: 8575
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2016, 9:42 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gillar on October 31st, 2016, 3:49 am

From what you have submitted thus far, I think I get an idea of what you are trying to do. Here are my suggestions to help round out your plan and get it closer to approval.

With your services offered, if you are only transporting people, I would make the cost dependent on distances traveled. This can be simplified by choosing which cities/ports you are willing to travel to and from. The farther the destination is from Syka, the more expensive it will be. There are a few different options for traveling via boat with different associated costs

If you are just operating a simple route or set of routes, going to and from at set times, the cost would be 1 gm/day for a passenger. Cargo cost is 1 sm/day/100 lbs.

If you want to offer charter services where would be passengers or people wishing to ship cargo can pay you for "to-order" transport, the cost would be 4 gm/day with cargo likely costing 2-3 sm/day/100 lbs.

Considering that your ship would be relatively small, additional services aren't all that feasible. If you were to eventually be able to upgrade, you could offer more services such as sleeping quarters, meals, etc.

Now, considering the limitations imposed by the size of your ship, there is only so much your going to be able to do with this business until you get into it with thread-work, you will start out at a more middle-of-the-road base income. I'm thinking more along the lines of 4 gm base, modified by a skill bonus of 2 gm with a sales bonus of 1 gm for a total of 7 gm / day.

As for your assets, a ships boat is simply too big to accompany a Catamaran. The ships boat is primarily used for the much larger ships as a way of getting to and from shore without having to take the ship dangerously close to shallow water. This leaves the main asset being the catamaran.

Also, it is always good to detail your general concept of the business with information regarding your intent for the business, what would make it stand out as an option for potential customers, and overall what drives the business itself.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)