Dawnwhisper Meet Firestone (Naiya)

A bargain occurs and small talk engages

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Brocton Firestone on October 18th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Fall-44th 516av (Naiya)

It didn't take long to set up the furs, no, fortunately, it took a few Bells, unfortunate enough for them with the less time that it took for the Firestone's to set up their game, that meant that they didn't really have much to sell at this time. Not only do the Firestone's sell furs, but they do distribute their meat if needed, and trading wasn't exactly their specialty, but De'anu can make a pretty decent negotiation when it comes to mind of course, Brocton just usually does the hunting, along with Jinr' for the most part, the two hunters together quite well, but there are days of which Brocton and Jinr' argue every now and then.

Eventually everything was set, and today appeared to be a nice day as Synas light glowed over the green of Endrykas. Other Drykas were running around and some even were preparing to go out and hunt, Brocton stayed with his Pavillion, as he figured that it would be necessary to watch how his mother and father negotiate trades, it won't be long until someone decides to check on them. The Firestone's don't have much, but it's a lot of hard work to get all of this here and oresented nicely, sure enough someones bound to trade well with this.

BROCTON FIRESTONE
Last edited by Brocton Firestone on October 19th, 2016, 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Naiya on October 19th, 2016, 1:41 am

It was hot, the air heavy with moisture that brought oppression more than relief. Naiya was laboring over milk, hoping to have something to take to trade at market, but there was so little, the heat and weather lending the zibri to low production. She stirred the hot milk, balancing the bowl of curds on her knee as she waited for it to finish separating.

Little Shai fussed, seeking attention while simultaneously protesting the heat that pressed in against them. She dampened her hand in the shallow bowl of water in her shop, using it to dampen his head and the dark crop of hair that had begun growing in.

"Che che che," she crooned clicking her tongue softly at him as she pressed water against his neck and the bend of his legs. He was on a linen blanket protected by wide edges rolled up to act as a barrier to his motion. He was soothed with her hand near, her body easily in his sight. She continued to stir, scooping out chunks of curd and adding them to her bowl.

She had to abandon touch with Shai, sticking her hands into the hot whey to wet and shape the growing lump of cheese. She placed it back into the hot whey, folding it over and placing it back above the bowl, squeezing the liquid out and molding the cheese into smoothness.

A hand into a bag of salt sprinkled across the growing mound of cheese, she kneaded the lump, mixing the salt into the cheese. She worked the cheese until it was hard again, then dunked it back into the hot whey.

She left it to soften again, waiting while the hot liquid began to work once more. She reached beside her again, dumping the shallow bowl of whey back into the pot and then adding a sprinkle of fragrant basil to the bottom of the bowl.

When the cheese was soft again, she scooped it out of the whey, dropping it atop the basil and mixing again. This was her finished product, smoothed and flavored, she set the cheese on waxed paper, scooping whey into the bowl so it could cool to help store the cheese without melting it.

Water was scarce, so she cleaned her hands on cloth first, then rinsed them with water, using the excess to fill the little pan that held her samples usually, but today cooled Shai's skin.

It wasn't enough, and there was little left to trade. She would have to make due with the yogurt and the soft cheese that had been on the shelf for a day or two, see if anyone would afford her a trade of product or work.

She dampened a cloth, slipping one hand beneath Shai's head to give him support as she pulled him up into her arms. Her damp cloth and his bare skin were enough to keep him cool, she just had to be mindful to keep him out of the sun His skin, while shaping out to be darker than her own already, was a fair bit more sensitive to the sun.

She dampened his forehead again, cooing as she tucked the cloth over his chest so that she could load the products into her back pack, careful to keep the jars from banging against one another. She slipped the bag into place on her back before slipping out, seeking a drykas with which to trade.

She struck out through the amethyst clan, weaving between horses and cattle, they had little in the way to offer. She could kill her own zibri if needed, but that was an extreme she did not find was needed. At least, not yet.

Through the sector she went, finding the topaz clan to offer little for her as well. Some people fawned over her little one, offering them both water and blessings which Naiya accepted with grace and gratitude.

She moved through the pavilions, a goal in mind to seek a hunter, and what better place than the Spitfire, a spot where she had often fetched her husband, or at least word of him. Caught in the heavy foot traffic of the topaz clan, she found her route cut through past the Raised Sun, the mass of whalaks cut down after so many were taken in for help with the attacks and poor weather.

Perhaps the storming and foreboding skies were best for the city, if not a worrisome reminder of the danger they faced, even in the massive numbers of their city. She had bandages still to remind her of the night attack, and new faces camped close around her and her kin to lend extra protection to the children of the pavilion. Everyone sought to protect the young, and the Dawnwhisper camp had many small beings underfoot.

She cut across the grasses between topaz and emerald, her path having drifted away from her goal, but perhaps for the best as she came upon a camp with furs strung out to dry, a small pavilion, but one with skill to their name by all appearance.

Naiya hailed them softly, the rocking motion of her walk having calmed Shai, she did not want to upset him if he could finally rest.

"Hello?" She called, her voice pitched low and gentle, so it would carry without shrilling or disturbing her slumbering boy. inquiry shaped her posture as she hovered outside what she could tell was the foot worn campsite, hoping not to invade their space while tensions ran high.

-----------

Naiya space Pavi | Common | Tukant
other space Pavi | Common | Tukant
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Brocton Firestone on October 21st, 2016, 1:34 pm

Turning his head up some, looking up at a young red haired Drykas, Brocton observed the Windmarks that bore all around her skin,well, from whatever places are exposed to her body. She spoke in Pavi, and Brocton nodded, speaking in Pavi himself he said, "hello, how are you?" The blonde asked, turning his body some, he looked over to his mother, De'anu, she nodded,, Brocton was looking for confirmation to speak. "Welcome to Firestone Pavillion." He said in a still monotone voice, he coursed a smile as best he could; showing some interest in what wares he could sell to this Drykas. It was his first time, and he wanted to do his best to show De'anu that he could do it.

"I'm Brocton," he said, signing, welcome, take a look around. "What is it that you're looking for?"

Brocton looked around, and noticed his father Titus, preparing an elk, from awhile ago. Surely, things are going okay with him, Jinr' didn't appear to be anywhere around, so that Brocton didn't really know what to do at this time, he stood, a little uncomfortably, for a guy who doesn't really like to socialize he's doing okay, maybe he should focus on interacting with more Drykas? Instead of being alone; hunting, he could use another hunting partner, it would suit him quite nice, gathering food for the Pavillion and extra for Endrykas, it's getting more challenging as seasons past. He wondered if this Drykas was a hunter, he hadn't seen her around the Emerald Clan much, but perhaps they could meet acquaintances? Or maybe even become friends?

BROCTON FIRESTONE
Brocton Firestone
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Naiya on October 21st, 2016, 4:45 pm

Her greeting was met with one from another, a male crouched over some task that she might have overlooked. His greeting was one of propriety, Naiya did not feel the need to divulge too much beyond the similarly polite response.

"We are well, thank you." Her signs took their half forms, one hand too occupied holding the wuepo to contribute in any real way to the shaping of her words. He welcomed her, and she smiled, finding that perhaps this would be a more formal exchange than she had imagined.

It was no matter, especially not after the caught sight of the looks shared between the man and the pavilion's elders. She was familiar with trying to impress the elders at her own home, she could help him make a good impression.

Well met, "Brocton." She returned, "I am Naiya Dawnwhisper, and this is my son, Shai." She lifted the damp cloth of his little form for a moment, letting him greet the people in the way only a newborn could. Her face surely warmed as she gazed down at the little boy, but she quickly refocused on the task at hand.

Her posture shaped a mildly formal apology, knowing that her next words were not the best people wanted to hear as the fall began to draw towards it's endings and the winter's promise of scarce hunting began to loom. "I am seeking to trade." Best offer, her hand signed solidly between them, finality underlying the words. "My family grows large, with many children and few hunters able to provide. With" wuepo "Shai here, I can not help in the hunting any more, nor can I ride out to set traps." There was no failure in her posture, simply the confidence of knowing what was best for her family.

"I was a seamstress for a long time before I was a Dawnwhisper, and since then I have spent time making cheese and dairy." She faltered a moment, finding she had little direction to go with her next words.

"Would your pavilion be willing to part with meats on the basis of traded product or work?" It was her best attempt to communicate what she sought, although it could have perhaps been delivered better. She lifted the cloth again, letting the water cool in the air before dampening Shai's neck again and tucking him beneath the cloth.

-----------

Last edited by Naiya on October 24th, 2016, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Brocton Firestone on October 23rd, 2016, 8:06 pm

Brocton barely noticed the young one in Naiya's arms as she held her safely in her arms. Brocton wondered if he'd ever be able to create such a family of his own, whereas he'd be a father. Would I be even a good father to raise such a thing? Brocton thought profoundly on the subject for a few ticks, but his thoughts were interrupted as Naiya began to speak, he listened nonetheless, the toddler distracted him. Well, it was mostly the thoughts of the toddler that distracted him. Though, he did his best to keep his thoughts to himself.

It looked harder than it seemed, signing with a baby in the arms, surely there must be some easier way? Perhaps a carrier of some sort, or something would suffice for Naiya, but as Naiya spoke about something with trades, Broctons gaze lowered to concern. He really didn't risk his life for a trade, even if it did mean well.

"Would your pavilion be willing to part with meats on the basis of traded product or work?"

Naiya's words echoed through Brocton as he listened, he twiddled his thumbs, and then he looked up at his mother De'anu, who surprisingly, stayed quiet and listened to Brocton as he spoke. Though, at this time is when she spoke, in response to the trading inquiry.

"I am De'anu." She signed, Mother of Brocton and Philly, wife of Titus Firestone

Her signage and speech sounded merely formal, and it made Brocton cringe a bit, he mildly despised her formalities, he wished that she could be more casual with everything instead of formal, Brocton saw it as a flaw, but others that he spoke to about his mother's formalities explained to him that that it's quite important and well needed to make proper trades and alliances.

"With Again at your hand, work would pose as a trouble." She signed, challenging, and discomfort. "I've been in your situation, twice..." She said, looking at little Shai and giving him a smile.

"I have a feeling, winter is soon upon us, and that more dangers await. I'd like to make sure we're prepared for another season of torment." De'anu sneered, she disliked the cold, and she really didn't like it when the winter poses as a threat to the Pavillions.

"You've managed well with seamstress? I propose a seasons worth of dried meats for exchange." Clothing for winter?

BROCTON FIRESTONE
Brocton Firestone
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Naiya on October 24th, 2016, 2:51 am

It seemed her fussing over Shai had caught his attention, for suddenly her was far more interested in the wuepo than herself. She smiled, children were so precious, especially after the hardship that had faced the Drykas. His response was far from uncommon.

She was saved from having to awkwardly break his attention when a woman spoke, his mother by her words, who was familiar of the struggles of having children. Naiya give her a look of shared experience her features softening in ways that revealed her weariness. Sharing in the knowledge that motherhood was the hardest thing she would likely ever get herself into.

Well met, "De'anu. I am Naiya." Her name bore repeating, but the rest held less strength in their formality. She shaped her hands with gentle motions great kindness, but there was hesitance to accept.

"I fear you are far too kind. I am a good seamstress, but not the best. An entire season's worth of meats are expensive, I would think not even the finest silk would be worth such a thing. Wool would be even less likely to hold up to such a trade." She was not sure whether the offer was a trick, or simply a mother's attempt to help someone she saw her own struggle repeated in. All the same it was too grand an offer for Naiya to even consider.

"You need clothing for four?" Inquiry her hands moved with tentative offering. "Perhaps I could make woolen clothing for your lot," all, cloaks to socks, "in exchange for a large deer?" She was careful to sign all her words with respectful tones, she did not mean to offend by turning down the offer.

Her movement jostled Shai, and he let his discomfort be known. He was surely growing warm, and she had little to offer him beyond the reprieve of the cool cloth. She apologized and took a moment to soothe him, blowing lightly on his face and letting the cloth cool as an artifact of no longer touching his skin. It was growing dry, but she would dampen it again once her business was completed.

-----------

Last edited by Naiya on October 24th, 2016, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Brocton Firestone on October 24th, 2016, 12:42 pm

When Naiya relinquished a sign of shared experience De'anu nodded and smiled once more, her facial expressions contained an amount of sympathy, she wondered why would such a young Drykas such as Naiya produce? She had hoped that nothing of the sort would come between her Philly, which would be a little displeasing to her, she huffed to herself as she thought about and it she thought that it won't happen any time soon if it did.

"It's what I was raised to do." De'anu responded, she looked at Naiya, then to Shai, and signed, You'll need the money,"especially for such a big Pavillion to take care of." De'anu said, looking with another smile.

"We have seven.... a deer's meat and half of elk for wool, and cotton clothing?" De'anu offered politely, looking at the somewhat impatient Brocton, the blonde didn't really know why she was looking at him when Brocton was observing his mother's deals as best as he could without trying to be impatient.

BROCTON FIRESTONE
Brocton Firestone
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Naiya on October 25th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Naiya considered the new offer, but still it seemed to be weighted far too heavily in her own favor. There was a point to factor in, however, that might even the scales at least a bit.

"Cotton will do little to protect you from the cold, you would still need many layers of clothing to be warmed. If you are concerned about the comfort of the wool, there is always superfine wool, although I find that fine wool is usually comfortable enough." She shaped an offering to bring a sample of both cloths. Wool would increase the cost of such work, but it would still greatly favor her own family. Suggestion "Perhaps two sets of winter clothing would suit you as well, one cotton to wear beneath the wool? Or even two sets of wool clothing in case your clothing becomes wet."

She knew that such a thing would still weigh the trade in her own favor, but perhaps it was more reasonable once she considered the labor of butchering and preserving the meat. She had not come to steal from this family like a walhak, so she would do her best to present a fair trade.

-----------

Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Brocton Firestone on October 25th, 2016, 10:34 pm

"Cotton will do little to protect you from the cold, you would still need many layers of clothing to be warmed. If you are concerned about the comfort of the wool, there is always superfine wool, although I find that fine wool is usually comfortable enough."

Naiya explained to the two. Brocton shifted his weight a little uncomfortably, but he knew better than to be impatient with trades, it took quite some tine. He remembered his father telling him thst patience is a virtue, so he stayed quiet for however long he needed, the grass beneath his boots crunched under his feet, the winds picked up playfully as they gathered around the Firestone Pavilion and slowly began to drift further out into the Tent City of Endrykas.

De'anu signed, true... though, she didn't really know what to say.

"Brocton, sweetheart, knowing how things might be with the Dawnwhispers, would you mind hunting with them?" She asked the blonde, Brocton stopped shifting his weight, his mother seemed to sigh as if she were waiting for him to stop.

De'anu waited, but she turned to face Naiya and Again once more. Respectful trading she signed, "I want to make some sort of arrangement between us, perhaps your Pavilion would be willing to exchange services as well as trades? So we would have the ability for the both of us lot to get what we need." De'anu said. She turned once again to her son, "would you be okay with that Brocton?"

"I suppose I wouldn't mind. Though Naiya and her Pavillion would have to agree won't they?"

De'anu turned twice more to face Naiya, she signed, apologize for taking long, "I... would your Pavilion be alright with this, the elk and the deer for clothing for the winter, then we trade our services?"

BROCTON FIRESTONE
Brocton Firestone
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Naiya on November 2nd, 2016, 6:17 pm

The heat was growing to be too much, she was sweating, Shai was fussing, and she was beginning to grow tired. Naiya was itchy and sore where her wounds from the zith attack were rubbed by her clothing, and her rapidly declining mood was more than enough to upset her wuepo.

Rather than become more insistent, or continue to haggle the deal against her own well being, she turned to both the boy and his mother with, Agreement, "The elk and deer to make you clothing, and continued help hunting through this season and next." She would feed the boy, and perhaps send him home with dairy while they had it. That would balance the scales of their trade, even if it would still weigh in her own favor.

"Brocton," Naiya spoke to pull his attention up from his feet, "It is difficult for me to hunt with my son," She informed him, her hands shaping loud, cries, scare prey."However I can set snares in the day time, once prey has fled the city. If you come with me, then you can check the traps in the evening and in the mornings. We can split what we catch." Her hand shaped the offer with finality she would haggle no more, nor linger much longer.

She smiled at the woman, her hands taking shapes of gratitude. For Brocton she offered future meetings. "If you could bring me measurements and color choices for your family, I can purchase the cloth and begin to work right away." She told him, My pavilion "in the Amethyst district," she shifted Shai up against her, better to proffer her wrist, the hand clasping mark on her wrist clearly displayed for them both, "Pavilion marked with this symbol." She paused to consider informing them of her wife, or sister, but neither of them would know what to do with the measurements, so it was best he waited to see her if she were not home.

You bring, inquiry?

-----------

Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook