Closed The Bone Fortune (Nephti)

Runes, replacements, and a young Eypharian.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

The Bone Fortune (Nephti)

Postby Allassanachassanya on November 16th, 2016, 10:52 pm

70th Fall, 516 AV
Midmorn.

An illusionary breeze ruffled the tent doors as Ssanya peeked out into the streets of the market. Her gaze was following the back of a man's head, the same man who had just left the shop. He was a bit of a peculiar man, she had decided. It had started to feel odd when he first stepped inside. His right hand had been clutching a faded, ratty old bag. His left hand was gloved, but his other wasn't. Ssanya's boss was elsewhere, out on a supply run, so Ssanya was left by herself for a few chimes to deal with any customers. She wasn't particularly comfortable with this, but it had been quiet for the most part. All except for that man.

As soon as it became impossible to see his head in the crowd, she tucked back into the shop and settled herself down on the pillow that was her workspace. The fabric was worn thin in places, so it wasn't necessarily that comfortable, but she didn't mind either way. Then she took what the man had left behind in her hands, and examined them.

The conversation had started when the stranger had entered the shop, and put the bag of clinking items straight into Ssanya's hand without any kind of explanation as to what it actually was.

"I'll need you to fix this, please." He had appeared polite, but the woman was left baffled trying to figure out what they were. She had opened the bag, looked at the contents, and then been left in even more confusion. She had tried to voice it, but the man had then dropped two cleaned, prepared goat's horns into her lap, and immediately got up to leave, only telling her that he would be back tomorrow to, "Pick it up." She had been unable to ask, and was now left sorting and picking through the strange pebbles with their equally strange carvings on.

However, it was clear to see what the man wanted. Almost half of the pebbles had been burnt badly. That in itself was odd- the burns were neat, orderly, and only affected what she presumed were the backs of the pebbles. The fronts were mainly undamaged, and she gazed at the peculiar symbols etched into their surfaces with a ponderous look on her face.

Without looking, she reached for her engraver's toolkit, which lay on the floor behind her. It was almost pristine, with only one or two tools showing any sign of use at all. Ssanya flipped the leather case open, and took out the wooden-handled tool she called 'the picker'. It was long and thin, with a sharp end. She picked it up and held it in her hand carefully, before picking at the charred bone of the pebbles. Some of them were less burnt than others, and so she was trying to figure out if there was any pattern on the underside as well as the top.

It didn't really seem like there was. It was all such a puzzle! With a half-frown, half-bemused smile, Ssanya tilted her head and picked up the two deer horns for assessment. She could see the half-hearted and sloppy work of someone previously who had tried to make cuts in the horns and had failed. However, it was work that could be easily hidden, she figured. Yet the real difficulty here wasn't remaking the pebbles, but actually figuring out what they were for. The actual job that the man had left for her was easy enough. In fact, with two horns, she figured she would have enough to make two sets of whatever-they-weres.

OOCHey Nephti! So I figured Nephti could come into the shop, and Ssanya would probably ask the first person who comes in if they had any idea what the pebbles (aka runes) were. But feel free to take it however you want!
Last edited by Allassanachassanya on January 21st, 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All 's' sounds are hissed in Ssanya's speech.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya
Sifting through the bones

Words: 232144
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2016, 5:05 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Nephti on November 23rd, 2016, 10:14 pm

Nephti loved it when the city lead her to the Bizarre, the building bringing a smile to her face even when she didn't enter it. When she did, she loved it even more, and today was one of the days she was lucky enough to have found it, grinning widely at everyone around her. Light was everywhere, noise was everywhere and she always had people to stop, whether it was to draw a crowd for a trick, do a reading, or spread Priskil's own joy.

The girl browsed the stalls around her, having packed up her cards for the day. She had had several good runs of the easy magic trick, and had even managed a few of the harder ones. And quite a few people had asked for readings, Nephti telling them all they wanted to know. They would have love, health, money - anything their hearts desired, and the cards all said that too.

She stopped at a stall selling glass goods, watching the light spread through each piece. The owner looked up at her, smiling, and noticed the glass necklace hanging at her own neck. "A lover of glassware, it seems?" the woman grinned at the Eypharian, who nodded quickly, hand moving protectively to it. "Anything catch your eye?"

Repeating the words over in her head a little, just to make sure she had understood them properly. Then she replied, with a polite smile. "It is very beautiful, but I don't need anything." Her hand dipped into her pocket, searching for coins. True, she had some, but probably not enough spare to buy something so pretty. "I don't have money, as well." Shrugging her shoulders, she took a closer look at the beautiful blue glass pitcher by her hand. "I wish I have the money. It is beautiful." Wishing the woman well, she turned, moving on.

The murmur of the crowd around her continued to draw her and she let herself get lost with them, exploring each nook and cranny of the Bizarre. Her eyes lit with playful curiosity and she wondered with admiration at the beauty some vendors' goods possessed.

A light, colourful tent drew her attention, and the Eypharian found herself slipping inside with no clue what she would find there. The buzz of life from the crowd settled into the background, and her attention focused the woman in the tent, picking at what appeared to be small pebbles. "Hello," Nephti's voice rang out, coming closer. She was very curious to what the woman was doing, stopping to take a closer look, first at the horns that lay at the side, then the pebbles. From the way they were arranged, she couldn't quite tell what they were, only that they had marks carved into them. Rune stones, perhaps? Her mind went straight to them, the strange wooden pieces the Benshira who had taught her fortune telling had dabbled with occasionally. These weren't wooden, but they looked similar enough.

"Are they..." she ran out of the words, not sure what their name was in common, "Fortune telling... stones?" This was a whole new aspect of the vocabulary she didn't know. Hopefully the woman would know what she was talking about.

oocI may have forgotten to say, but when Nephti realises that Ssanya is dhani, she may be a bit put off. She wouldn't actively do anything, but her discomfort (at least initially) would probably be clear, although she would try to hide it. Once ssanya shows she's nice, Nephti would lighten up anyway.

Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Allassanachassanya on December 10th, 2016, 4:54 pm

The girl entered the tent, and Ssanya did a double-take as she glanced at her multiple arms. An Eypharian! A grin burst across her features quickly as she looked over the woman of her homeland. Slight, pretty, happy-looking. A curious look on her face. She glanced back down at her work as she mentioned 'fortune telling stones'. Yes, this rang a bell, somewhere in her mind. She tilted her head to one side as she appraised them again. She supposed that they could be used for that purpose, although she herself knew nothing about the telling of fortunes.

"Welcome. Yess, I ssuposse... fortune telling." She nodded, and then looked up again with a frank smile on her face. "Do you know of thiss practisse?" She worked as she spoke, grabbing her small saw and beginning to cut a thin sliver off the horn to begin working with. Soon enough, she had the beginnings of a fresh pebble. Stone. Fortune telling-thing. Whatever it was.

She picked her sandpaper up and began to smooth the piece all over, making quick work of the small piece of bone. The charred template lay in front of her, and she traced the pattern on the bone pebble with the tip of her nail a few times to get the feel of it. Kind of jagged, with two shorter lines coming off.

"Sso! You are far from home, ...?" She hesitated, letting the girl fill in her name should she wish to. "I too am from Eyktol." Taking a hand from her work, she pressed her fingertips to her collar and introduced herself. "I am Ssanya." She considered the multi-armed girl. It was nice to see a familiar sight. The Eypharians were haughty, proud, but the race would always hold a soft spot in her heart, due to their shared land and in some ways, heritage.

She picked up her engraving tool, and gently pressed the sharp end against the flat part of the newly-shaped bone. It was slow-going to begin with, but she soon got the hang of it. Her hand shook slightly as she concentrated on getting the shape of the symbol right, but her practice with painting paid off, and she managed to at least make sure the line was roughly straight. Soon enough she had finished the first one, and ran a finger over the bone to check for inconsistencies.
Last edited by Allassanachassanya on January 21st, 2017, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nephti on December 15th, 2016, 6:48 pm

The woman grinned at the sight of Nephti, the girl smiling gratefully back. She observed the stones again, as if checking that Nephti's guess was true. Then she nodded, deciding to agree with the girl that had just entered. Clearly, the woman didn't really know what she was working with, and the Eypharian what exactly someone who didn't know what those fortune telling runes even were was doing with them.

That was soon answered, as the woman picked up some tools and began copying the pebbles. So, she was repairing the more charred ones. Nephti trickled over, gently picking on up and running it through her fingers. The runes were carved in despite the charring and she wondering what their story was. Clearly, they had been damaged, but the owner cared enough about his or her craft to have them replaced. Not enough to prevent the damage though.

The woman's next question made Nephti shiver slightly. The extended 's', of course. This was a Dhani. Trying to pretend she hadn't heard it, Nephti still stepped back slightly, nodding, then shaking her head. "I do fortune telling but with cards. The stones... I do not know them well."

The Dhani spoke some more, the 's' feeling Nephti with discomfort. She could just think of the Dhani who had kidnapped her, stripped her from her home and possessions and sold her, reduced her to a slave and nothing more. This Dhani was nothing like him. She couldn't be. She was so happy, and polite, and nice.

Forcing herself to not dwell on the past and to look through her new, fresh eyes, she smiled some more. "I am from Ahnatep," she nodded, trying to feel a connection with this woman from her birthplace, "Nephti. I am Nephti." And this was Ssanya. The girl wondered what her real name was. The Dhani always had these long and complicated names, from what she could remember.

But she didn't care about what she remembered. This was a whole different world. She settled to lean against the worktop, watching the woman working and forcing herself to forget everything. She picked up the runes again, trying to remember what she knew about them. Each one had a meaning, but that was lost to her. The symbols were all so specific and unlike the cards, held no clues in their faces. They had to be learned, to be taught, for the runes to be used properly.

Like the cards, different layouts worked differently. You could use one, use three, or five, or them all. But she had forgotten that too. Rosca had only shown her with one, drawing a single rune from the pouch and told her story, all from three carved lines.

"Could you make me the pebbles?" she asked carefully, looking up towards the woman. "I do not know how to use them, but I want to learn."

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Allassanachassanya on December 18th, 2016, 5:15 pm

She looked up in surprise. She had completely missed the wariness of the sleight Eypharian, but her question made her tilt her head first, then grin brightly. "Of coursse!" She worked deftly, putting her latest one aside to begin working on the other. Of course, now she was making one from scratch for the girl. She figured there would be plenty of material, and as the order had come without much instruction, she felt it was only fair to make the most of the horn.

Nephti's introduction got her wondering though. With a glance away from her work, she considered the multi-armed girl. She looked slightly... uneasy? Ssanya couldn't tell. Perhaps she was merely awkward. Trying to convey friendliness through her gaze, she asked, "Ssso, do you have your cardssss on you? If yesss... could I asssk for fortune tell?" She laughed, a pleasant sound. "Perhapsss it isss difficult, here? Maybe would give me hint for theeese, uh, sstones. Runesss." She frowned as she stumbled through her broken Common.

She turned back to the runes as she waited for Nephti's response. The bone she was working with now was for Nephti's copy, and she grabbed her engraver's tools to cut the same mark into the surface as she had just done. This time, it was a little easier, and the line was less.. wobbly. She regarded it with a happy expression, before beginning to saw off the next couple of fragments that she would use.

The next rune she needed to copy was slightly different. Although the others were simply cut, the actual rune of this one was painted red. She stared at it, this new challenge. She didn't have red paint. But perhaps the stall owner did. She stood up, creaking her legs, then looked around in the stores. She was in luck. The woman had a small collection of pots of pre-made paint, and she picked up a crusted red pot to dip her own paintbrush in. With trembling fingers, she gently ran the brush along the narrow groove of the rune. Her hand slipped once, but it was easily corrected by rapidly brushing the paint away. That was that one done.

OOCSorry this is so short!
Last edited by Allassanachassanya on January 21st, 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nephti on December 18th, 2016, 6:25 pm

"Thank you!" Nephti focused on not thinking. Not thinking about Dhani, about what had happened, about any of that. Just about the conversation and the runes she would get and what she didn't know. Her voice was high and excited, her best way of hiding her unease. She just needed to act like this was anyone else. Like the fact this woman was a Dhani didn't matter. Because it didn't.

The woman, maybe sensing her unease, asked if she could have a reading. Then she called the stones runes. That was it. Nephti found herself repeated the word out loud, dragging the 's' like the Dhani had, as it was the only way she knew how to say the word. If it wasn't for the arms, anyone who entered at the moment could have swore both were Dhani, rather than just one. Because in the end, they were the same.
She had to remember that.

"I can," she answered her question after a little while, pulling out her cards and laying them on her knee as she sorted through them, picking out where the decks had mixed, "What do you want to know?" As she talked, she began to shuffle them, moving quickly. Normally, she would let Ssanya shuffle them too, imprint her question onto them, but the Dhani was busy. She was making runes, one set for her, another for whoever else it was for.

As the woman moved away to search for something (which turned out to be paint), Nephti focused inwards, focusing on her art with the cards. Perhaps they would show her that Ssanya didn't deserve these feelings Nephti had. Because she didn't. Perhaps they would show her that the other Dhani were not like that one. Because they weren't. Her hand trembled very slightly, waiting for the question, waiting to pick a spread, see what fate had in store for this woman.

Waiting to be shown that Dhani and person were synonymous, because she trusted the cards more than herself.

"So, why are you in Alvadas?" she began to create conversation again, slightly curious too. Why would anyone leave the desert unless they were forced to?

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Allassanachassanya on January 21st, 2017, 6:51 pm

What do you want to know? That was a tricky question that brought her up short. What did she want to know? Her immediate thoughts were of her family in Eyktol. Were they well, were they successful? Yet after those thoughts, she delved deeper. Of course she wanted news of her family, but she was an independent woman, too. Her family weren't under any threat, never had been. They would be fine. She thought harder, absently placing the paintbrush down on the floor.

"What do you sssee in future, for me?" It was a simple question. Perhaps too simple. Ssanya didn't mind though, as she was merely asking out of curiosity, not out of any real desire to learn something. Her knowledge of fortunes and future-reading was patchy and non-existent, and she leaned forwards slowly to look at whatever Nephti was doing with the cards.

Her work forgotten for the moment, she sat cross-legged and began answering her next question. "It'sss a long ssstory." She refrained from mentioning her magic. "Short versssion: Tshashallassana, my mother, died. I leave family a few yearsss afterwardsss to make my own way in the world. For exploration or ssssomething. Been to Riverfall, and Kenash. Now here. I ask, if you let me. Why are you here?"

Nephti was still working the cards, so Ssanya picked up her work tools again. The next pebble was easy to shape, and the bone felt a little softer than the others. She pushed her engraving tool in the pattern of the rune, going slowly as she blew out the bone sawdust with a quick, short huff. Then she smoothed the ragged sides of the etched symbol with sandpaper, gently moving it in a circular motion with her thumb, whilst holding it in the other hand carefully.

It was slow-going, but she was getting there. As she waited to see what Nephti would come out with, she started preparing the next lot of pebbles to shape and craft. She had a small saw which she used to cut off segments of the horn. It was tough to cut, perhaps more so than wood, but she was used to the toughness of bone and so put in a lot of elbow-grease and effort. By the time she had cut off a few more chunks though, she was slightly pink in the cheeks, and so took a little breather to listen to Nephti properly.
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nephti on February 3rd, 2017, 9:51 am

The future. It was one of those things that was always asked, that was never truly answered. She could see paths, she could see options - but she wasn't certain that they would always be true, and how. Still, a little but of hope, a little bit of knowledge never harmed anyone, and the shuffled as she thought for a spread. Three cards wouldn't work, not here. They dealt with the future, but not enough to focus on it.

There was another spread, she seemed to remember, with a large V, each card focusing on a particular aspect. Taking a moment to work through what each card would represent - or at least to think up of her own meaning - Nephti began to spread them out, placing each face down where there was space on the surface as she listened to her story.

It was said to be long, but her version was much shorter, leaving much to the imagination. As she spoke about it, Nephti felt herself pull the first card up, thinking about what the images that appeared represented. This was her past, just as much as the short story she had just heard was.

It was the page of wands, standing alone, upright with a staff in his hand. An adventurer, an explorer. "The cards say what you say," she smiled, fingers lingering against the image, tapping the desert from the background, "You start in Eykotl, you can do anything. You want life so you travel. Discover. That was your past." It wasn't much, nothing compared to what she had already heard, but it was something. A base, for what the next cards would tell her.

The girl looked up, focusing on the Dhani - woman - working, watching her at her craft. She was skilled, or knew the basics, at least. Was this something she had always known, or had she just learned it to have work to do? But it was rude to ask another question, especially when Ssanya had asked her first. Perhaps it was a good idea to tell her - tell her everything, so the woman would understand.

"It is also a long story," she smiled, fingering the next card hoping to just move on to it. But she couldn't. She'd be vague, she wouldn't tell her everything. But she had to tell her. "But I was made slave. By Dhani. Luckily, I am free now. It is all alright."

Before she could get a response, the girl flipped the next card over, searching to see the present. Five of Wands. Battling, but not to hurt, chaos, but not to destroy. "There is chaos, now. Not bad, but also not good. There is tension, which must be stopped for change. This conflict can be good, for now, but for change, it must stop. Maybe you know what this is?"

The girl waited, wondering if she could find something more about it. There had to be something, but maybe the woman didn't know at all. Sometimes, the cards told of things that were happening behind the scenes, that no one would realise until much later. It made things much easier if she did know.

One last card for now, until Ssanya said what she had to say. The future - the general future, to give an overview of everything. The Eight of Pentacle. The girl gave a smile, pushing it forward to show the woman. A carver, etching out pentacles just like she was marking runes onto the bone. "Your future," she explained, "You will learn new skills, or improve old ones. If you work hard, you will learn a lot and learn well. If you work hard, what you do will lead to success."

That was a good reading - Nephti smiled at it. So far, it seemed promising. The positive readings were always the best ones, and they made her forget everything about Dhani.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Allassanachassanya on April 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

"Speech"
"Others"

Ssanya tensed at the word, Dhani, spoken so tentatively on the young woman's lips, but said nothing of it. After all, it wasn't her place to judge her own species. Some made slaves, others used them. Others even ate them, but she didn't have a taste for human flesh. Most of the time, her geographical distance from the nest reinforced Ssanya's more inquisitive nature, rather than her inbuilt Dhani predator core. The world was ripe for listening and acknowledging and accepting, rather than devouring and conquering.

With Ssanya's internal monologue hidden from Nephti, she inspected the cards presented with interest. Her trade was lying on the ground now, truly forgotten as she absorbed everything the young fortune teller told her. "I am glad you do not sssee me as ssslaver," she remarked as she inclined her head to ask without words to pick up the middle card. It was this one that interested her most, because although the image represented there seemed to resonate with her, she couldn't fathom what kind of conflict it might be telling her about.

The maledictor sighed and frowned, leaning back on her hands. "Conflict, hmm? To sssucceed I musst sstop thiss, and then I will progresss in my craft." She paraphrased the Eypharian, and mused quietly to herself as a cart passed the shop outside, its wheels rumbling with a dull tone mixing with the trader's bawdy singing. Abruptly, the woman packed up her belongings, and began to tidy the half-finished work to the side.

"Would you have lunch with me? Thisss fortune intriguesss me." She tailed off and swung her rucksack onto her back. The stall owner wouldn't mind if she took a break for a while. This was Alvadas after all. Things happened in different orders and with different meanings. Besides, she felt a burning curiosity about the cards, a curiosity that made it difficult to focus on her work. She would return later and finish off the work, but for now she wanted to get out onto the streets of Alvadas.

OOCI am so so sorry for the massive delay! :((
Resolve score - 30/100
Allassanachassanya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Nephti on June 17th, 2017, 10:04 pm

The dhani found her cards interesting. That was good - there were so many who saw the tarot as a little fun or a performance rather than interesting. They were fun, and they were a performance - for the good fortune tellers, at the very least - but they were fascinating, intensely fascinating. It made her so happy that others understood that too, or at least found what she said to be something.

Not only that, but she was offering her own interpretations. Maybe, to her, she was just paraphrasing, but Nephti saw beyond that. She was responding, to the points that she felt were the most important. Which meant she was thinking, and that the cards were actually talking to her.

It made Nephti's job easier too. It showed her what part of the reading interested her the most. What parts she needed to focus on with the next - there were four of them - the next four cards.

But before she could begin, Ssanya stopped, packing away. Perhaps Nephti had misunderstood, maybe she wasn't enjoying this. Maybe she was, but just needed to be somewhere else. Hesitantly, she pulled up the cards, putting them all in one hand, save for the remaining ones, ordering them in her palm in the same order they had been on the table. Whatever happened, at least she'd get a chance to hear what they said.

Then came the invitation to lunch. Nephti hesitated, again, a little surprised at it. Then she shrugged, and nodded sharply, following up with a large smile. "Yes, that would be nice. And there, I can tell you more.. the other cards."

Pulling the top one out as she followed behind the woman, walking briskly beside her, she focused on it as she let the other woman lead.

What did this card represent? "What is coming - but you don't... you don't know it is coming," she thought aloud, bringing the card up clearly so the dhani could see it too. A man, smart looking, happy looking, sitting in the middle of a room with an arc of cups above him. A card she had seldom seen before, if ever. And the image wasn't helping her, not particularly.

Refusing to admit she didn't know, she spoke from her heart, letting the image guide her. "Happy, you will be happy - do you know this? Or maybe, wealth? Money, all the cups, you see? You will have gold and will be happy with it. Is this something you do not know?"

Perhaps there had to be a better way to explain it, but she wouldn't be able to know because she wasn't the dhani. It was a good thing, though. It had to be. It just had to be.

Determined to fit another card in, she moved on, still following blindly. This one, she understood exactly. It was the Sun, Syna, looking down on a boy, white horse, flowers. This one really did mean happiness, but in a different sense. It was all about fun and warmth and things being positive. "The people, they are all happy, their lives are fun, it is all well. People - family, friends. Close to you. Who is important, in life? They are in good place, that is what the card says."

Two more cards. They'd have to wait for when they settled down for lunch.

"You speak to family?" she asked, remembering how Ssanya had left them. She had left her's, too. And it pained her, every single day, but she was teaching herself it had been the right thing to do. Maybe this woman had a better relationship. Maybe worse. Maybe she didn't care at all.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next