Completed A Place of Home and Seclusion

Xen arrives in Syka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Place of Home and Seclusion

Postby Xen on December 14th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Lost in endless, timeless misery
The First Of Winter, 516 A.V.

“ Oh, now you don't see that every day, ” Mathias grinned while looking ahead, his eyes illuminating with anticipation and glee. He was not expecting anyone to arrive at the start of winter, not since he heard that there would be some storms approaching Falyndar. Then Mathias looked at James Chaliva, Captain of The Veronica, who gave him a nod of understanding and recognition and appeared as though he was too proud to show his surprise.

“ What do you think? ” Mathias asked Captain James, although he knew what the old and experienced sailor was going to say.

“ I'm a bit surprised. It is not often that you get to see a wind eagle and one transporting a man, ” Captain James said to Mathias.

“ Hahaaa! A good season should always start like this! ” Mathias enthusiastically said to Captain James. “ With unexpected turns and possibilities, ” Mathias continued. He looked like he wanted to jump off of The Veronica and swim to the shore to meet the new settler.

“ I see what you did there. Though, it seems Randol hasn't noticed the new arrival yet. ” Captain James gestured with his right thumb towards the bungalows where Randol Zor was. “ He will in time. But let's finish preparing things on the ship first before meeting the new settler.” Mathias suggested before turning away and continuing with whatever endeavor he was distracted with before. “ Indeed...” Captain James agreed.

The wind eagle lands on the sand, sending some of it flipping and turning in the air as its massive wings flexed outward and then folded. At this point, Xen dismounted the wind eagle with his possessions and weapons in tow and placed his feet on the sand. “ Thank you, ” Xen appreciated the inarta's services because what they did was no small task. It was just the fact that he wasn't a king preventing him from giving the inarta the fortunes he deserved.

The inarta smiles at viper-dhani, leaving room for Xen to assume that they appreciated his gratitude. Then wordlessly, the inarta and brown wind eagle parted from Xen, in the same way, they met him in the Sylira Region: together. Xen turned and began walking towards the bungalows, each step consumed by the warmth of the sand and fickle sea. He wonders what kind of people resided in Syka and what races they'd welcome in their beachside paradise. He wonders about the next step he'd take in his life as the lone footprints he left behind in the sand where erased by the waves.

Thoughts and feelings dead but not forgotten were resurrected within Xen, bringing forth memories of the past he suppressed to life. The time he obtained his first victory; the time he met his first love and the time he shamefully experienced his first defeat. All these things came forth and sapped the strength from his knees and shins, causing him to fall downward in the sand. Now he knelt before the jungle, the sea, and seemingly all things he could fathom and perceive, burdened and downtrodden by the things he tried to forget. The same things that haunted him in the Bronze Woods near Syliras till now.

“ I taught myself how to hate Falyndar. And I was wrong. Everything I had was here and still is here. In essence, I did not lose a thing, ” Xen spoke sullenly as the depths of his sorrows became shallow.
Last edited by Xen on June 30th, 2017, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Xen on December 28th, 2016, 8:38 pm

“ I let my obsessions and regret overcome me, and break me when I could have ignored them. ” Xen placed his possessions beside him and sat down in the sand then turned to face the sea, which sighed and flowed in grace and quietude. Xen let the tide wash away the clinging golden-brown particles of earth off his legs and feet. And a bit of the sorrow that he had been carrying for almost a year. In hopes, that nature would heal and make whole that which had been cracked and broken for so long.

Time passed the same fashion streams of brown sand cast by the sea breeze did. And to Xen, it and all seemingly stood still. He could nevertheless feel and see the world around him, yet he did not feel a part of the world so great was his realization of his personal flaws and shame. But somehow Xen was able to manifest a smile upon his crestfallen visage, revealing the speck of fire that slowly began to burn against the power of the dark within.

“ No signs of decay from my angle and the wood feels solid and secure. This place should remain habitable for a long time with proper care. ” Randol Zor stated after a thorough examination of the bungalows, his latest creations. He wanted to ensure the safety of would be and future occupants that decide to make them their homestead. It was his duty to do so. But Randol knew it was just an excuse to gawk and praise at his work in anticipation and excitement.

“ Those two are probably still on the ship. I should go and hunt, ” Randol nodded at his idea and exited the bungalows, choosing it over the crippling boredom that came with inactivity and solitude. Randol walked down the railless steps and into the tropical, outdoor paradise where he'd one day see overflowing with life and activity. At first, he did not notice anything out of the ordinary. There was only sand, open ocean, and The Veronica—things all too familiar to him.

“ In time they'll be others just be patient, ” Randol uttered to himself as he walked through the jungle Mathias, Captain James, and he had cleared. Randol smiled as he recalled Mathias asking him did he ever put a shirt on while chopping away at the undergrowth and then fledgling trees. The area carried that much of a nostalgic atmosphere, for him and his two companions gave this forgotten and wildland purpose again. And would not forget their shared efforts so as long as he lived.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on March 20th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Surely fate had a sense of humor.
It seemed like the two had something in common. One sought new meaning, power, recognition, and a home. The other sought settlers: would be pioneers willing to make Syka their home.

Immediately, Randol noticed Xen sitting on the shore and grimaced. At first, Randol thought he was going to have to deal with a troublesome myrian or myrians since the race tended to move in groups within the jungle. But he did not see elaborate tattoos or primitive weapons in the stranger's possession. There was just a backpack with items and some weapons with proper sheaths no doubt. And the stranger wore dark leather armor which many wore if they frequently engaged in fast or stealthy combat.

“ We could somewhat use a mercenary in Syka, ” Randol thought as he approached Xen, who had just begun to place his belongings down on the sand. Randol noted the peculiar action in his mind. He usually saw folk nervously searching around for any semblance of civilization before they relaxed. But this person had lowered their guard and even held the audacity to turn their back to the dense jungle just a few feet away from them.

However, one thing made Randol smile: the fact that the stranger hadn't placed their weapon onto the sand. “ Foolish enough to expose your back, yet wise enough to not discard the sword, huh?”
Randol thought with a smirk.

Xen sat in the sand with his katana resting on his lap. It had been years since he last felt at peace with himself and the world. However, he knew there would be some time before he could close the rifts that had formed inside him. And he knew how jagged he had become in the absence of inner peace, friendships and joy.

“ Fortunate fool's are given second chances. I guess I'm amongst the fortunate few? ” Xen muttered; his thoughts flowed outward. At this point, Xen did not care. Alertness gave way to repose as did his negative emotions to the natural world until Randol tapped him on the shoulder.

Xen rolled to the right after he gripped his katana with his right hand. Then he stood up and entered a half crouch complete with his right foot ahead of his left. “ Who are you? ” Xen glared at Randol, who impassively stared at him while his free hand hovered over the katana's handle.

“ You're too slow; most would have unsheathed their sword by now and swung, ” Randol stated as he casually stroked the hair along his chin. A playful smirk accompanied Randol's scrutinizing gaze; gestures of a man that was unphased by Xen's aggressive stance. “ I'm Randol: a resident of Syka, ” Randol used his left thumb to point over his shoulder, hoping that Xen had some semblance of intelligence to understand the situation. And put away his weapon.

Xen backed away; gave Randol a doubtful look and then quickly glanced into the jungle. He saw the bungalows and felt embarrassment creep over him. “ I apologize for my rudeness, ” Xen apologized, yet his actions did not match the words he spoke.
Last edited by Xen on June 1st, 2017, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on May 7th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Xen firmly gripped his sword before sheathing it, alluding to the hesitation that remained. But he was willing to trust Randol: a man who could have easily defeat and kill him with his extensive skill and experience. Next Xen straightened his back to correct his posture, then extended his right hand to show proper respect and trust towards the stronger, older warrior. Randol smiled in interest and understanding as something within him sparked with life and excitement. He extended his hand too which was slightly larger than Xen's hand, yet they were so similar, being rough and all.

Xen shook Randol's hand as the sea and clouds moved in the natural backdrop beyond them. It was a good day and which one united the longing and destitute: the serpent and his jungle paradise. A place of home and seclusion. “ Welcome to Syka! We call it paradise rediscovered, ” Randol turned as he swung right arm to gesture towards the budding civilization.

Naturally, Xen looked and awed at the newly built structures. Indeed, he felt honored to be welcomed in the infantile civilization budding with possibilities and potential. But Xen failed to suppress the darkened and sorrowful emotions that lingered within him. He wondered if the kind people of Syka would be able to accept who and what he was. And contemplated if he'd be capable of doing the same because of his distrust toward others.

Xen stared forlornly into the jungle shadows.

“ Nervousness and distrust are natural things that manifest when one steps onto unfamiliar grounds. But you're welcomed as you are in paradise and even when you decide to leave, ” Randol said to Xen as he released his grip and walked to the bungalows. Xen looked away from Randol out of embarrassment; he knew from Randol's statement that his inner feelings were known and read by the experienced man. However, did not feel angry and sullen because he had not learned how to conceal his feelings and thoughts from others like an open book.

Xen collected his things and himself and followed Randol to his would be home near the beach and all so welcoming sea filled with wonders and terrors he had yet to behold. But the little, humble abode was more than he expected. The fine woodwork and structure had to be a product of a skilled man—if not a master—of some kind, causing Xen to look at Randol and then back at the bungalows. He never anticipated that he'd get to live in luxury again after he departed from Zinrah some many seasons ago.

“ Yes, aren't they beautiful? Such marvelous things were made by patient and masterful hands, ” Randol folded his arms and smiled while he stood in front of the bungalows. It appeared as though he purposely wanted to flaunt his achievements and pride all the place.

Xen rolled his eyes; he assumed Randol built these buildings by the way the man behaved. “ Let me guess, you built them? ” Xen asked

“ Of course, no other man here could shape wood like this, ” Randol gently stroked the bungalow's deck to Xen's displeasure and laughed when Xen groaned. “ Show off...” Xen narrowed his eyes after he spoke but it appeared as though Xen accused Randol of something else through his gaze.

“ No, and no I don't have what you are insinuating! How could you suggest that through your accusing gaze? ” Randol feigned shock and hurt; he was obviously jesting to tease Xen a bit.

“ We all have our kinks and quirks, so I'm not one to judge, ” Xen smirked: he was not above a bit of humor either. “ I know living in such a place isn't free how much will it cost to live in paradise? ” Xen asked Randol

“ One-hundred gold miza is the hefty sum; life isn't cheap or easy here, so until you can build your home, it will cost this much, ” Randol uttered in nonchalant, yet serious tone.

“ I understand and you will get your pay on time, hopefully, ” Xen extended his hand to shake and show that he agreed to the price.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 18th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Xen

Skills
  • Socialization: 3XP
  • Observation: 3XP
  • Philosophy: 1XP
  • Unarmed Combat: 1XP
  • Intimidation: 1XP
  • Rhetoric: 1XP

Lores
  • Lore of surpressing ones emotions
  • Unarmed Combat: basic stance
  • Randol: first impression

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Another good thread. A nice introduction between Xen and Syka, and an inventory of the emotional baggage Xen's bringing with him. I get the feeling he'll learn to like it in paradise eventually! I look forward to more angry, damaged snek in the future. The only thing I can really comment on with your writing is that it was a bit confusing jumping between Xen and the other men. I would have appreciated a clearer picture of where everybody was on the beach, otherwise it feels like everybody's teleporting everywhere. :p

Enjoy your grade! Give me a shout if you've got questions.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)