Closed Murky Waters

Fara and Clyde scout for the group. How to cross a river?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Murky Waters

Postby Faradae on May 4th, 2017, 5:17 pm

The Wildlands
30th of Spring, 517 AV

A night had passed since Faradae joined Sayana and Clyde on the search for the fallen – whatever it was. With the faintest gleam of morning, the group had upped their sticks and continued their journey, following the directions Clyde was giving them, as well as Faradae’s inborn sense for cardinal directions. Neither of them was willing to linger longer than necessary.

The small size of the group allowed for a relatively swift pace, slowed only by the lushness of the vegetation and the slowness and care the horses had to pick their paths. Faradae knew she could have covered the distance they had put between themselves and last night’s camp during the last bell in less than half that time, but she had known that when she decided to join them. Having an idea where she actually needed to turn was an advantage that even speed could not beat.

For the first half bell, she had trudged along with the other two, following the trail their horses were leaving in the grass. But Clyde and Sayana had been relatively silent, and Faradae’s feet grew cold and wet. She wore borrowed clothes and no shoes. Wet earth, turned muddy by regular spring rainfalls, got stuck between her toes and the occasionally thorn or pebble streaked their backsides an angry red. Besides, she had no idea which animals might roam here and bite her with poisoned teeth if she disturbed them in their burrows.

Instead, she shifted back to the form that felt more natural. The grey eagle took off towards the treetops with a jump and a flutter, and began to scout ahead for the others.

Most of the time, the path was clear, with no obstacles or points of interest far and wide. Before she had run into the explorers, she had continued for long distances before looking for spots that provided water, shelter and game, but now that she had company to look out for, her priorities had shifted. She constantly needed to remind herself not to stray too far off; else, she would not be able to find Clyde and Sayana afterwards. From above, most of the forest looked similar, but she could see rolling hills more clearly than she felt them while walking.

Faradae sailed with a light breeze, letting the currents carry her along. It was relaxing to have the airstream work in her favour, for once; it saved energy and allowed her to glide further which each beat of her wings. She liked the forest down below with all its shades of green, but if she stayed there too long, she missed the openness of the sky.

The eagle blinked and concentrated on the trees again. There was a break in the landscape, something that she needed to properly see. She dropped lower, and the moment her eagle eyes caught the first glint, she could also hear the sound of rushing water. Water, of course, was primarily a good thing. It meant they’d get to wash their faces, drink, refill their supplies and water the horses. Perhaps they could even catch some fish. This was not a simple stream, however. It was wider and faster, a true river. The horses, Faradae assumed, would have a hard time crossing it, especially while carrying supplies and riders. What would not have troubled a single bird might become an obstacle to the group.

Faradae circled around and followed the glistening line of water with her eyes. She couldn’t see far, with vegetation obscuring her sight. Maybe they could avoid this river; perhaps Clyde had even “seen” it with his strange kind of sight and already considered a different route. Before she troubled herself with this, she wanted to confer with him.

As expected, it took her a few long chimes to find the small group. She stayed low, even dropped to tree level and circled around the trunks as she flew, but she had to slow down so she would not crash into a fir and put this adventure to a sudden, disgraceful end. Still, flying low and slow heightened her chance of finding those she had left behind. She had just begun to worry that she was on her own again when she heard the familiar rhythm of the horses’ steps. Relief washed over her as the animals and their respective riders appeared between the trees.

Faradae landed on the back of the packhorse, which merely snorted in slight surprise and angled its ears back a little. The eagle plucked shirt and pants from the top of a half-open saddlebag, where she had left them earlier, and vanished between the trees for a moment before returning, human and dressed.

She jogged after the caravan, found the man and addressed him, hoping that she was not tearing him from any important thoughts. She could easily keep up with the horses for a while, as she did not have to run especially fast. “Clyde? There is a river ahead that I’m not sure we can cross all that easily. If we keep this course, we’ll reach it in a bell and a half, I think.” She was not great with estimating travel times for them just yet. “Or maybe just a bell. Or had you already noticed?”
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Murky Waters

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 11th, 2017, 12:34 am

30 Spring 517

After travelling for a time, things began to take on a routine. Each morning they ate a small meal, broke camp, and set out for the day. All the while Clyde kept a tendril of attention outwards towards the fallen not star, keeping its aura in his awareness most of the time. Such a low level corner of the eye glance type focus was not too draining, and almost imperceptible for Clyde.

At times he would pull his focus back, resting or focusing on something else with his entire mind, but he could quickly enough feel back out another tendril and latch onto the peripheries of the star's aura.

As such their group had an almost constant awareness of which general direction to head, if not much more.

Of course, while a straight line might have been easiest that didn't mean deep in the wilds it was possible. Often they had to turn, move, or on occasion even backtrack when they got into a bad spot. That had occurred a bit less since they'd had the kelvic to scout ahead their route for large obstacles or heavy non traversable bits of land or vegetation, but it still occurred on occasion.

His attention on walking was broken when he noted a bird above, which turned out to be the kelvic returning. Stopping for a moment, finding a good grip in his hand and placement on the ground for Cha, he looked up at the approaching flight.

The bird raced off with some of her clothes, racing into the trees as she'd done before and returning clothed.

He was just wondering on the kelvic's sudden return when she approached him with a report of what she'd seen, noting another problem for their trip.

Shaking his head Clyde stared off in the distance in the direction the she-kelvic had noted, before returning his gaze to her.

“No, water is water, just because there is a lot of it doesn't mean I can see it from afar. Only special things work like that, like the Not-a-star.”

Considering the problem, Clyde tried to gather what facts he could from the kelvic so as to better reason out a response or solution.

“Is there a shallow part? Or a narrow bit? Something where we could cross more easily? I don't like the chance of getting the animals across with all of our stuff, let alone us without having a good soaking. I suppose a bridge would be too much to ask for...”

“Is their another way to go so as to avoid it, which doesn't take us too far out of our way? If not, any ideas on what we should do?”

Clyde supposed if worst came to worst he could use Reimancy in some manner to have them cross, but he'd rather not do so if he didn't have to.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Murky Waters

Postby Faradae on May 13th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Faradae
Fara shook her head. “Nobody lives out here, or builds bridges. We’re too far from civilization for that sort of luxury. I didn’t see any shallow parts either that you could wade through, or narrow enough to jump over. There are some parts that move a little slower than the rest, but I have no way of telling whether there are underwater currents. And even if you could swim through, we’d have wet equipment.” She pondered this for a moment. “I can follow the river up- and downstream a little further to see whether the situation is better there. I just wanted your opinion first, in case you already knew and had a solution ready.” Interesting, so he could not see everything with this magical vision he possessed.

Faradae let herself fall back again, slipped out of her clothes and stowed them from where she had taken them. A blink and a heartbeat later, the eagle took off with a few powerful beats of its wings and returned towards the river.

It was a flowing band of black and blue, winding its way through the deep of the forest. An artist could not have painted a picture more peaceful or rich in shades of green. Over time, the river had carved out a small hollow, and given a few hundred years, it would flow in a deep valley formed by its very own water.

Times when Fara would be long gone. The bird circled a few times over the spot that she had visited before, then flew where the water went. The landscape below was sloping slightly downwards: The river was flowing downhill. Faradae soared lower than she usually did, keeping a close eye on the river’s edge. If she was lucky, she might find a spot where the shore eased into the water, a shallow passage that they may pass, but to no avail. If anything, the currents became stronger, amassing white bubbles of froth near the banks. After a few chimes, she turned a large circle and followed the river up towards its source instead, hoping a slower spot there.

A quarter bell passed, and still, Faradae was in no luck. In some places, the water seemed slower, but when she flew directly above the surface, she could not see the ground, and the fish below were never swimming against the general direction of the water. Perhaps it went faster than she could see from outside.

In some spots, trees were growing especially close to the riverbanks, roots almost reaching out towards the water. Fara was not versed enough in botany to recognize which sort of tree it was. The leaves were short and rounded; the trunks looked old and sturdy. Maybe they could erect their own bridge here? A rope, carried from one side to the other… Maybe they could build a bridge like this, somehow. At least they could get the equipment over dry this way, but the horses…

She could not find a solution on her own right now, so she returned to the others, shifting in much the same way as she had before. It was a little annoying, being forced to go back between forms like she did, but she preferred it to being stuck to one-half of who she was.

“Sorry, Clyde, but I can’t find any shallow spots. All we have is some trees close to the water’s edge; perhaps we could span ropes between those and build some sort of bridge that way. I can help fly some supplies over, but the only way I see for the horses is swimming.”

She had given a bit of thought to undermining the river, but tunnelling would take very long, and if they did not dig deep enough, they ran a high risk of the river sinking through and crashing down on them. Not a good option.
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Murky Waters

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 11th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Clyde's comment on bridges had been more to himself, a statement of his wishes for the moment. He hadn't expected the kelvic to take it seriously, nor to respond as if it had been a serious solution.

Of course, Clyde in general was a literal person, so perhaps she'd just not been expecting such a thing from him.

Clyde pondered this as Faradae flew off again as a kelvic, something he'd grown somewhat used to seeing her do.

When the kelvic returned Clyde pondered her words, noting about trees and things.

“How big are these trees? And if they were felled, ripped up and tossed on their side roots and all, would they be long enough to cross the water? Perhaps if a few side by side were placed, to form a bridge across to use?”

In his mind Clyde pondered some things, picturing trees, Reimancy, breaking earth and moving objects through a show of force with Reimancy. It'd be tough by most Reimancers standards, but much easier than making a land bridge with Reimancy.

He supposed if the trees wouldn't work in that way they could try ropes as she'd said, though he didn't like the idea of trying to get all of their supplies, people, and horses across, hanging from a rope. It'd take time, time they didn't want to waste.

“I suppose ropes might work, but It'd take a long time, if it'd even span the river and if it would support the weight. And it wouldn't work for the horses.”

“So... How big or tall are the trees on either side in comparison to the width of the water, either where the trees are, or at the waters more narrow bits?”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Murky Waters

Postby Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Faradae
“A single tree won’t be enough to span the river’s width, at least not where they’re standing. It might work with the largest of them if we tried an especially narrow turn of the water, but even then, it would be a close fit, and I cannot tell for certain that the bridge would not be a bit too short. Trees are growing everywhere, it would not make a difference whether we fell them close to the water’s edge and transport them to a narrow spot or search for said spot first and fell the trees in the forest. The latter might actually be closer.”

Clyde’s idea of building bridges from multiple trees seemed like the most promising attempt they could make. “It will take some time to fell those trees, I suppose”, she said, “but if we can fell three, perhaps four, and remove the branches, we can tie them together and build a simplistic bridge that will safely span the distance,” she said, “although it will be hard to transport across and secure on the other side. Can your magic stabilize a structure that might otherwise not carry our weight?”, she asked, curious. She had no idea what Clyde could accomplish, and how he might aid the construction of a bridge. Herself, she had walked across enough rivers to know that a wooden bridge could be both simple and sturdy. She guessed that a seasoned builder had no trouble designing a bridge that would hold a horse with what tools they had, but she had no idea how to construct one that would not collapse under the first foot she set on it.

As they talked, the made steady progress through the forest, passing hawthorn thickets and long abandoned rabbit holes. A bell until they reached the river, at maximum. If she listened closely, Faradae thought she could already hear the roar of the current, but maybe the fact that her thoughts were circling around the obstacle made her imagine it.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Murky Waters

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 29th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Clyde considered the kelvic's words, pondering their options and possible solutions. They had to get over the water to get where they were going, so a solution had to be found if they were to proceed.

“Well regardless of what we do, we'll want to cross at the narrowest bit we can find.”

Some of her comments though made Clyde smile, as she underestimated his skills. Ironic, he thought to himself, after she had just so recently overestimated another bit of his powers.

“Felling the trees will be the easy bit, I can do that simple enough. Reimancy is about the elements, earth being one of them. And earth is exactly what the tree is sitting in. The ground is my domain to control, I can fell them as easily as you'd pluck a carrot from the ground, so long as I have the time needed to prepare. After all, when the earth decides to stop letting the tree rest upon its back, and stops letting it settle its roots into its skin, what hope has the tree of standing?”

Clyde considered the process, a semi-straight forward one. He'd simply need to inundate the ground around and below the tree, making it buck and release the tree and thereby felling it. Or perhaps a twist, he considered, rotating it to rip loose the roots from the main mass of the trunk which would be a difficult task to do by hand. Better to let the earth do it for them before the tree was loosed from the ground, trunk standing bare at the bottom.

“We'd still need to remove the branches and things to make it smooth and usable, but I'm sure we can manage that. But felling it and de-rooting them, I believe that will be simple enough. For me at least.”

Clyde left unsaid, though perhaps implied, that for a lesser Reimancer the task would not be so simple. But then in his mind he was simply stating the obvious, not exaggerating as he was practically and accurately gauging his own skills and capabilities.

Supports would be a bit trickier, though he supposed still possible. If he moved the earth, perhaps at each end and in the middle of the bridge of trees, along with making some... Not with a heavy or solid earth like stone which might sink or cause problems, but a lighter more appropriate kind. Mud, or clay, something to stick and hold for awhile but not expected to last forever. Being lighter it'd be easier to work with and without worrying about it bearing the bridge down and sinking under its own weight.

It'd cost djed, but would be much easier and less djed costly to support a mundane tree bridge with strategic use of earth than to make one entirely of earth.

“I could probably stabilize it, at least long enough for our needs. No telling how long it'd last after we left, but I imagine I could add the needed supports and holds for our current needs.”

Thinking back to that first attempt at building with Reimancy back outside Alvadas, he knew he'd enjoy another attempt at making something more to human scale and for more practical use. It'd be rough as he had little skill with such things, but he could understand the basic concepts of the needed building, of its architecture, and thought he understood how it would work.

He had no thought that it would stand the test of time, that he'd come years from now to see it still standing whole, but he felt he could do something to last for their need and suit their purpose. While also getting a chance to further test some skills he'd been wanting to experiment with and work on.

Reimantic construction and building after all seemed one of the few areas of Reimancy he'd not yet fully explored, and the only use for it he no longer found boring.

Clyde walked along with the kelvic, Cha in hand, as he considered things and thought through what he'd needed to do. Thought through the design and layout of the bridge, the materials they'd need, and the steps they'd need to take.

“Once we get there you find a good spot to build at, and point me at some good trees, and I'll level them as needed.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Murky Waters

Postby Faradae on September 10th, 2017, 8:39 am

Faradae
The roar of the river was audible over the rustle of leaves and their conversation now, and Fara did not reply to the reimancer, but tagged along in silence while she pondered his words. He did not seem the type to underestimate his abilities, but if she was judging him correctly, he also was not quick to overestimate himself. The fact that he said he could hold a tree bridge together was reassuring to her.

They approached the riverbank, and the water rushed past before her eyes, drowing her thoughts for a moment as her eyes followed the currents playing around driftwood and unseen obstacles. There was a small bay before them where the water was hardly flowing at all, cut off from the river by overhanging roots and a small mound in the terrain. Duckweed had started spreading at the edges, and a small cluster of reed clung to the space near the shore. The main space of the bay was taken up by a group of three trees, which, curiously, grew entirely in the water. They were surprisingly high – 70 feet or more if Fara’s judgement proved correct – and she was sure her arms would not be long enough to hug one of them. Clusters of needles grew in rings around the base, followed by a long stretch of bare wood, until they returned, far above, in narrow crowns.

The bay itself might even have been a good spot to start building, with the river giving up some of its space to it. Fara was about to make this suggestion before she remembered that Clyde had told her he could control earth, not water. There was a stretch of land between where they were standing and the edge of the forest in which only grass, bush, and young saplings grew. Taking a tree from the forest itself, they would need to transport it to the river before they could hope to build a bridge.

Upon exploration, it turned out that the river took a sharp turn a few chimes of walking downstream. The current was broken here and the river flowed a little slower afterwards, but more importantly, it was narrower at turn. Felling trees from the forest, they could attempt their plan here. Fara pointed Clyde to a group of broad-leafed trees with rugged, grey-brown trunks that seemed as good as any to use. Then she stood back, curious for a demonstration of Clyde’s magic.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Murky Waters

Postby Clyde Sullins on September 17th, 2017, 8:39 pm

When they neared the river Clyde began to hear it before he saw it. For a half tick, earlier, he'd considered perhaps using water Reimancy to part the waters and make a dry spot to go over. But as he saw the waters and their rushing nature, he put such a thing out of mind. He might be able to do some sort of... Water free bubble or sorts... If needed. But he felt it'd be much easier to go over the water on a mixed earth/wood bridge than to go through or under it.

Clyde absentmindedly followed along with the kelvic, focusing his mind on the task to come, slowing and calming his breathing in meditation. He thought through the steps needed, and what would have to be done to make, construct, and hold together the bridge. But first things first, he would need to get the felled trees needed. He supposed once they denuded the felled trees they could drag them into position with the horses, and then if needed he could manage the final push/pull into the water with a bit more Reimancy. Since he'd need to position them anyways across the waters, this would likely be needed to a degree regardless.

When the kelvic pointed out the intended trees Clyde walked up to them, eying their size and standing. Putting out Cha and placing her against the trunk of one, Clyde felt out with his aura sense into the tree. He could see the tree as such, and after a bit of more focus was able to see down into the tree and the beginnings of the roots.

The ground and its thickness quickly cut off his auristic observation. He had before looked through some things, lesser or smaller things, with his Auristics. However looking down and through the ground was another thing entirely, and beyond any user of the magic he imagined. At least if it was beyond him it was likely beyond anyone else, he reasoned.

His cursory examination done, Clyde took a few steps back- calming his breathing and closing his eyes as he did. He felt within himself the inner reservoir of djed, and willed it to manifest as bright silvery res. As he did liquid res began to pour forth from Cha, a trickle at first turning into a steady gushing. With it Clyde felt out into the ground, melding his person with it via his res.

Once he had enough for the tree he'd begun on with his Auristics, Clyde opened his eyes. His perspective changed once more as he felt the twinned identity of himself. One was above ground, standing on the back of the terrain and looking outward with mundane eyes. It could see and smell, taste and feel, all with its human body.

The other him within and of the ground, sensed in another manner. It had no direct sensory organs or mechanism, though through their dual identity each was aware of the others sensations.

Instead this ground Clyde felt through movement as it surged and flowed like a soaking rain into and through the soil. A gentle almost imperceptible attraction was made manifest and pulled upon the earth as it moved into and became the new area of earth, feeling where their was earth and where there wasn't. Feeling how dense it was, where there was hard and thick stone or the more common dirt, and how it reacted to his attraction.

The ground that was Clyde couldn't per-say see, not in the normal sense, but it was aware enough of its surroundings through interactions and reactions.

Their intent and desire dualed, standing Clyde with Cha and ground Clyde willed the tree to fall, moving itself and the ground they infused and bonded with to do so.

At first a gentle shift, a feeling and cursory touch to see how it reacted. A gentle thrum went through the tree for a moment visible from above, as the ground moved upward the tiniest fraction by his will. The tree itself wasn't moved, but they were that much better aware of the tree and its reaction. They'd taken its measure.

With a small turning and rotation of the standing Clyde's hand the earth began to swirl, churning and turning and moving underneath the tree, pulled along by the res that was the ground Clyde. At first nothing happened, and then the tree fought back with its roots clawing and refusing. However inevitably it failed, some roots breaking off and others being pulled along for the ride as it began to turn. From above it would appear as if the tree was slowly turning, like a wheel mounted upon the ground but set on its side.

Adding a second rotation Clyde crushed and yanked the roots off by the conflicting turning, forcing the roots into a press of soil and dirt in opposing directions. The tree would appear to judder but stop its turning here, motion slowly moving up the trunk to whip about the highest point on the tree.

Finally, the roots ripped loose, the ground that was Clyde decided to no longer support the tree. The ground about the base of the tree moved outward in a small ripple, only for a small lurch of the ground to thrust upward and towards the trees base. This motion was the final push, tilting and pushing the tree over and starting it in its fall away from the Clyde standing upon the ground.

The tree seemed to hang for a moment, and then with the normal motion of a felled tree it tipped and fell and crashed to land on its side, showing below the ripped and removed roots where the tree now ended in a roughly flat bottom.

The Clyde that stood upon the ground turned to the kelvic that also stood, finally speaking after the numerous chimes of work he'd completed.

“One. The next should be faster, now that we've learned what works and what doesn't.”

Turning back with his body standing upon the ground, another tendril of aura sight honed in on the next tree, giving the Clyde that was the ground a better idea of where it needed to move. Its direction understood the ground Clyde/res moved underneath the next tree, felling it quicker than the first, and continuing on till all of the needed trees were felled.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Murky Waters

Postby Faradae on April 24th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Faradae
Faradae stood by as Clyde concentrated on one of the trees she had pointed out to him, and while he stood there, unmoving at first, it seemed like nothing was going to happen at all. But Clyde had shown a knack for magic beyond her understanding before, and the others had seemed to trust his skill, so she waited as patiently as her nature allowed her to, shifting from one foot onto the other as she waited. Occasionally, Clyde lifted a hand and swirled it as if he was chasing away a fly, and the tree seemed to respond, fighting an invisible force that made Fara step back in awed alarm. She was sure that this was Clyde’s doing, but she was less sure whether Clyde had full control over what was happening, given he stood still as a stone, not flinching an inch as the earth next to him roared and the tree trembled, about to fall over. A word of warning caught in her throat as it finally fell in the opposite direction of the mage – did it fall this way on purpose or by sheer luck? – but Clyde seemed completely unfazed as he turned back to her and informed her that now he had done it once, moving the rest of the trees should be easier for him. The Kelvic nodded in stunned approval and took another two steps back.

She watched for another couple of chimes as Clyde set to work on the second tree, but he started out just as motionlessly as the first time. Then she composed herself and stretched her arms. She would not just stand by and let the mage do all the walk. Perhaps she could help move the logs once they were “felled”? A closer look at the trees told her that they were way too heavy to lift on her own. She sighed, then searched in her pack as another idea struck her mind, but realized she didn’t have anything sharp with her, as the harness she’s arrived in was bird sized and didn’t have space for knives. In that case, her own hands would have to suffice. Approaching the upper end of the fallen tree, she started breaking off branches that would get in the way of the other trees once they tried to build the bridge. Clyde probably had a more efficient method for this specific task, but Fara hated waiting around with nothing to do. As she worked, a pile of wooden pieces, broken at odd angles, stacked beside her. She scratched herself a couple of times in the process and cursed under her breath when she drew a splinter, but the first tree started to look like it would be much easier to work with.

As Clyde turned his attention to the other trees, she would continue on those he had felled, contributing as much as she could, working more slowly than the mage did. She had little experience in this physical kind of work and it wore her out quickly, leaving her sweaty, but occupied.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Murky Waters

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 15th, 2018, 12:16 am

It was after he had spoken, after he began to continue moving onward, that Clyde pondered his own words. We. They'd said that before, hadn't they?, Clyde thought to himself. He wasn't sure when he'd become aware of the twinned nature of his focus when deep within Reimancy, though the first time he recalled thinking back he'd been joined with the ground.

It was a point when he, was no longer just he, but they or we or them. A bit odd, since he'd never consciously decided to call himself as such, just had gotten into the habit as if it was natural when he diverged and separated while still being one. They were still one, if not housed as one, but as the same time... Apart while jointed.

The concept distracted Clyde for a few ticks, as he pondered his state of being we. Of expanding, while still being constrained. In some ways it was akin to an extra arm, the earth his joints and extended flesh. Due to his one-ness with his res, he was as aware of it and its position as he was of his own left arm. And as such he was as afraid as he would be when moving one of his bodily limbs. He knew how to move his arms, wouldn't do so in a manner that would hurt or strike himself, and he felt similarly with his res.

He... They... Clyde... Was a bit confused as to why the Kelvic was surprised. He'd told her what he was going to do, and yet she was surprised? He could only guess that she'd not believed him, otherwise why would she be surprised?

With a shrug he moved onwards, flowing the ground Clyde onward and to the next tree. He focused his motion on the Clyde that was with the ground, besides a few small gestures and movements of Cha that twinned with his ground self. An arched back, a canted elbow, or the closest equivalent within his intent without a true form or body.

While he worked the Kelvic began to denude the first try, snapping off branches and things and getting it as smooth as she could by hand. He supposed someone would need to come along later and cut the last bits, the nubs, to make it truly smooth. But this would get the greater bit of it done, leaving only such a list smoothing thing.

He turned to the next tree, this time starting with the twinned conflicting movement and going straight for the roots. Once they were broken or free it was but a simple shove in the right direction, an arching and a push, to send them falling over in the desired spot more or less.

Then he flowed to another, and repeated the process until they had enough to their task. Not too many, but just enough.

Once he was done Clyde let out a huff of air, and walking towards the remaining pool of res in the ground as it flowed towards him, he greeted his ground self with his flesh. The remaining silvery liquid material flowed upward and onto him. Swirling and cloaking him up to the waist within the nit surface of djed as it found an opening and was reabsorbed into the One of Clyde. He, yet again, was he.

While he was replenished by the restored djed that hadn't been spent, the djed returned ho him and his body, in some ways only a mage who had been deep in magic could understand he felt... Diminished.

At the same time he felt tired from his exertions and the djed he'd spent. Not exhausted, but tired all the same.

“I think that'll be enough trees. What do you think? And what next? Should we go get the others? Might need the horses to drag the trees into place. Eh?”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)