Closed Meeting New People (Freke)

Kavala and Freke meet in the Warrens.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Meeting New People (Freke)

Postby Kavala on May 28th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Kavala was rarely surprised by anything anymore. Freke down right shocked her. From setting the coin purse at her feet to backing up and shifting his form, the Konti would have never anticipated these events. She was silent for a long time, stunned in fact, and if gently pressed could have been knocked over with a gentle shove. Her jaw had somehow dropped and she felt herself backing up. The room wasn't really designed to fit a horse-sized wolf, especially one as black as night.

The Konti blinked. It took her a moment to regroup. She took a deep breath and started forward. Reaching out she ran her hands into his fur and stroked him behind his ears, scratching gently. "You are beautiful in this form." The Healer said gently, surprised, and wondering how in the world a Talderian Wolf would get along at her fortress of horses and healing. The Konti stepped back and nodded. She bent down and picked up his coin purse.

"Can you shift back and get dressed? We have things to do." She said simply, not sure what else to say to him. She waited while he shifted back and dressed. Then she beckoned him to join her, having lost all interest in visiting the Sasaran for its true reason now.

Kavala left his collar laying. Where they were going, he had no need of it. The Konti mentally shook herself. What in the world was she going to do with a Talderian Kelvic? The Konti knew she wasn't going to keep him for herself. But she'd teach him... what it was like to think and act for himself. And in that, if he wanted to remain with her at the end, then he could and she'd make a place for him at The Sanctuary. If he did not, she'd see him off with nothing but good wishes. That was the right thing to do. The best thing. But she couldn't do it all at once. Freke would need time.

So she lead him back to the Warrens. "Freke, here's your coin purse." She handed him the bag. "Your money is your own. But your worth is well over three thousand Mizas. You will need gear and supplies and if I am going to be your ... owner ... " Kavala choked over the words... then I owe someone, most likley you since the Kuvay'Nas set you free... that amount. Your clothing is worn. Where we go you will need gear. You will need leathers like the Akalak wear here and like I am wearing now. You will need good boots to fight in and ride with. You will need weapons and supplies. I suggest you go shopping. My credits are good here if you use my name especially if I am with you. Lets spend some of this to get you outfitted the way you need to be. I have a wagon at the stables and anything you buy can be delivered there for when we head home." She added, stepping back and fully intending to follow him around the warrens.

The Konti waited for his reaction, unsure if he realized she'd just purchased him from himself.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Freke on May 30th, 2017, 1:18 am

Template created by Gossamer

Nervous as to what her reaction will be Freke forces himself to focus on a spot on the near by wall. He'd forgotten how big his wolf was and he took up more space than he realized he would, and was glad he didn't harm his new mistress. Hearing her call him beautiful made him extremely happy, when she scratched his ear he was in bliss and his tail started to wag, knocking everything over that was behind him. Oblivious to the damage his tail caused he eagerly shifted back when he was ordered to, and got dressed. Extremely pleased he has a owner again he follows his new mistress, while still staying alert and watching everyone, he can't stop himself from being happy.

Not understanding why he was given the coin purse back Freke doesn't question it, it wasn't his place to question the decisions of his new owner. Listening to her orders carefully he nods at each point, and acknowledges her orders with only "As you wish My Mistress" While he didn't understand why she'd think she'd have to pay him to be her slave, he let it be.
Heading in to the Warrens he keeps a watchful eye behind him, trying to keep his new mistress in sight. Finding it harder than he realized he found himself in some awkward moments doing this. More than once he almost tripped on something or ran in to someone or something, but he didn't care. Seeing a man selling clothing Freke stops at his shop first and looks over his wares. Not really sure about the differences between the different leathers he explains Kavala sent him here to get a new outfit and asked for help. Not having anything in stock his size the man takes Freke's measurements and agrees to have it sent to his new mistress when it's ready.

Now with fresh clothes being delivered Freke decided to check out the armor. While he wouldn't need much, being a kelvic using unarmed combat he'd need free range of movement, and to be able to strip quickly if he needed to shift. Talking to a armor merchant Freke decided on some leathers and a chain mail. Taking them with him Freke took his leave and searched for his new mistress. He'd hoped she'd be pleased with his translations, and keeping the bill small

Items Bought
Linen shirts 1 SM X3 for large 3 SM each. buying 4 total 12 SM
Linen undergarments 1 SM X3 for large 3 SM each. Buying 4 total 12 SM
Linen pants 8 SM X3 for large, 24 SM each. Buying 4 total 96 SM
Leather Shirt 1 SM X2 for leather X3 for size 6 SM each. Buying 3 total 18 SM
Leather pants 8 SM X2 for leather X3 for size 48 each. Buying 2 total 96 SM
Gloves 5 SM X3 for large. 15 SM total
Chainmail 150 GM

Grand total 173 GM 4 SM
Attn Thread partiners: I work in retail and hours are picking up, affecting my ability to be online. I will continue to write and post as much as I can, I just might poof for a couple days because of this
Freke
Player

Words: 22283
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2017, 7:07 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on May 30th, 2017, 4:02 am

Kavala followed Freke, quietly, keeping a small distance so she could watch him. She sensed no deception in him as Kavala followed along. The healer had a quiet way about her that belied what she really was; Warrior, Dreamwalker, Mage. His emotions were too pure in her mind, untainted by the things she would suspect someone wanting to take advantage of her would be. And in a way Freke posed a puzzle to the Konti.

Where had he come from? Why was he here? She saw so much potential in him. If she had anything to do with it he'd never be anyone's guard ever again unless he guarded them by choice because they were family or someone he considered a friend. He'd be someone else, someone not owned and with a will and the strength behind that will to make things happen in his life.

It was a delicate thing. Kelvics could be so dependent, so needy, that they lost themselves in caring for the needs of others. Kavala knew this all too well having dealt with them time and time again. In a way, the Akalak often abused the female Kelvics they had, breeding them and taking advantage of the fact that the bonds they formed would cause them to want to do anything to please the men, including having their children. In Riverfall, more children and grandchildren meant more status and more standing in the community. Freke would be spared that course. The Akalaks wouldn't give him a second glance because he was born with the wrong gender.

She smiled slightly, noting him buying things he would need to flesh out his wardrobe. It pleased her further that he wanted armor. She watched him move as he circulated through the Warrens, wondering if he could fight. She thought perhaps he could. But he also looked young to her, beautiful, with the potential to go any way he wanted too.

She wanted to recruit him to the Cytali. Kavala had an incredible desire to expand his world. The Konti knew she could do so, but she'd have to be careful. How many kelvics had crossed her path, benefited from her influence in their lives and moved on? It hurt to see each and every one of them go, finding bondmates, causes, or finally having healed enough to take up the cause they needed to take up in order to grow. Eventually they all left her. And in a way she knew that was her lot in life. Freke would be no different. And the Konti knew she didn't need to get attached, because it would only be harder in the end when he followed Lex's course and continued on.

In the meantime though... she'd cherish the moments. And taking a deep breath she vowed to do just that.

When he had his armor all purchased with Sanctuary coin she waited until she was sure he was done and then quietly approached. "Where are you staying in town if you don't mind me asking? I think we should stop by there, collect anything you have stored there, and release any obligation you might have to further rent if you have a room. I'd like you to come back to The Sanctuary with me. There are people there I'd like you to meet, and we have plenty of room for you to have your own place to stay in comfort." The Konti said, waiting for his reaction.

His own place might have been a stretch. Her niece and nephew, both kelvic twins, had their own rooms and never used them. Kavala was brought up Drykas where everyone slept in a giant bed together in one Pavilion. So she often shared sleeping space with two kelvics and three children. The two sets of twins were amusing enough that she rarely felt lonely. And if Freke was of a like mind, there was room enough for him in the sleeping arrangement as well.

If Freke was in agreement, Kavala would swing by so they could finalize his housing situation, then they'd head back to the Stables to collect the wagon and head out of town. While they were traveling and doing these errands, Kavala suggested something.

"So we don't know each other. I'd like to change that. Would you... like to play a game with me? It's a way to get to know someone. It's simple, really. I get to ask you a question and you must answer it honestly. Once you have, then you get to ask me a question, and I have to answer you honestly. The only rule is we can't lie and we can't ask the same question back at the person if they've already asked us one. What do you think?" She said, pausing a moment to smile and greet someone in the street she knew as they walked down the street.

-3,000 to my ledger for Freke's payment. Payment goes directly to him so he can remove anything he spent from that money in the Warrens and bank the rest of it in his cash inventory.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Freke on May 30th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Seeing his mistress coming for him Freke walked up to her and immediately starts giving her the details of his trip, that he went to two different shops, what exactly he bought and how much everything had cost. Not seeing any anger on her face Freke was relieved. "As you wish My Mistress, I will stay wherever you wish. I rented a room at The Kulkukan for the season, but I have nothing there. I also don't need much for comfort, I'm a Kelvic wolf, I can sleep on the floor just fine." Still in the best mood he remembered having Freke followed Kavala, not saying a word. As they walked to the cart he wondered what she planned for him, was he to her her guard, or just as a trophy.

Arriving at the Inn Freke quickly entered first. Not fully trusting the place, or the people who stayed here. These cheap places had a reputation of attracting unsavory people. Upon entering the building he didn't see anything, he walked up to the inn keeper. "Excuse me sir, but I will no longer be staying here" The Inn keeper acknowledged Freke and wrote something down in his books. With the key Freke gave him 3 GMs as a tip. Before he left Freke turned to Kavala "Is there anything else we need to do Mistress?"

"Yes, Mistress, I'd love to play" Freke loved the idea at first, this would give him a chance to learn more about his new role and what to expect as her slave. "Mistress what subjects do you wish to be off limits in your game?" Not wanting to anger her any more than he had Freke thought it a good idea to get these limits established by her before they started. He didn't want to anger his mistress again. "If you would like Mistress, you can ask first"
Attn Thread partiners: I work in retail and hours are picking up, affecting my ability to be online. I will continue to write and post as much as I can, I just might poof for a couple days because of this
Freke
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on May 31st, 2017, 9:14 pm

Kavala followed Freke back to where he was staying. She was actually surprised he had a room. For someone the Kuvay'Nas had just turned loose in the city and left with some coin, he was fairly resourceful. She waited quietly while he did his business, then answered his question honestly when He asked her if there was anything more.

"Not that I can think of. We just need to go make sure everything has been delivered to the wagon and get my horse hitched up and headed home." The Konti said, stepping out and leading Freke through the streets towards the Stables. She was glad he didn't seem to mind what she proposed as they walked and was even happier he had questions about it.

Off limits? His question struck her as odd, but then she wondered if his previous master or mistress had anything that they just refused to talk about. Kavala had things that were painful, but for the most part she'd openly discuss almost anything... with a kelvic. Other races would never enjoy such trust. Of course, other races didn't bleed their emotions all over her psyche like the Kelvics did. She knew, for the most part, when they were being open and honest. They were relaxed. Humans? She almost always misjudged them unless she'd known them for a while and had learned to trust them.

"No Freke. You can ask about anything. Does the same apply to you or are there things you would rather not talk about?" She was curious why he would ask that. Perhaps it wasn't his previous owner that had limits. Perhaps it was him?

The Konti waited for his answer and then started off their little game with something relatively easy.

"What is your absolute favorite thing to do in the whole of the world? I mean the one thing you'd do that brings you the most joy?" She said softly, leading him east then turning north onto the main road. They still needed to cross the bridge and pass several landmarks before they got to the stable.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Freke on June 1st, 2017, 3:02 am

Freke bowed to Kavala. "Very well Mistress." As he walked behind her Freke thought about his new life and what was to become of him. Was She going to have him be a laborer, a guard, or would she sell him? He was worth a lot of money, she could even rent him out. Unsure how he felt about this Freke spent some time thinking about it. She was nice to him and did get him some nice new clothing. It wasn't until she answered him that shook him out of his thoughts.

Smiling he bowed his head. "Mistress can ask me anything, I have nothing to hide from you. You've already seen me change into my wolf, what else could I have?" His last comment was made in a quiet tone, as thou that was his biggest secret. As they walked along Freke thought about what he should ask first, the rules seemed obvious but he didn't know how many questions he got. Should he waste it asking about what he'd be expected to do? Settled on his question he waited for his turn.

It took Freke a few chimes to figure out when he was at his happiest. Once he settle on it he spoke in such a cheerful tone you'd think he was a child who just got the one present he had to have, than something even better. "Master would take me with him from time to time, but said he didn't want to risk me at some of the more dangerous places so I'd often stay at his estate. One day a man made master unhappy so he told him to run for his life. Ten chimes latter master told to be careful, that this man wasn't very dangerous but accidents happen so to not to take any risks. After that he told me to change and hunt him down, when I found him I was to kill him how I saw fit but no more. The man was good at running and went threw places I couldn't as a wolf so I had to find other ways. I don't know how long it took me but the chase was amazing. I'd hunted down animals from time to time, but never anything like that." The joy in his voice as he described hunting down and killing a man was disconcerting to say the least, it was enough to send shivers down the spine of almost anyone

He didn't give Kavala much of a chance to respond before he asked his question "Mistress can you tell me what I can expect at your home?" After a chime he realized the question was a bit vague and open. "I mean are there others there and how should I react?" Still pleased at his happy thought Freke had a huge beaming smile on his face
Freke
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on June 2nd, 2017, 9:17 pm

The Konti walked with the kelvic, listening carefully to his words and his emotions. She moved carefully with a grace that didn't seem in any way frail. Tall for a Konti, the kelvic still dwarfed her. It helped that Kavala drew no attention to herself. She was dressed in pale colored leathers that blended into her natural coloring. Her long hair was loosely braided, though much of it had escaped its careless styling on the trip tot he city and in wandering the warrens.

Kavala tried to keep an open mind. It was slightly disturbing to hear his answer to her question though. She tried to reserve judgement. There was a beauty in his honesty that reminded her of his bestial nature. Would not one of her beloved Imperial Watchers say something similar? Wouldn't one of her warhorses that she trained to enjoy battle respond that they loved the bloody chaos of the battlefield? As they crossed over the bridge still headed towards the stables, Kavala has a lot to think on.

Bringing Freke home was still the best idea. She could watch him and at the same time make sure he didn't fall prey to anyone in the city. If he showed signs of being a threat to herself or her family, eliminating that would be her responsibility and a weight on her soul, not someone else's.

They were nearing the stables as he asked his question. It was actually nothing personal of her, so in that she was relieved. But it also told her he probably wouldn't probe into her personal life. His question was easy enough to answer as well.

"My home is north of here perched on a cliff above the sea. It is a fortress full of horses primarily for that is what I do. But I also have an attached healing center where I take animal and kelvic patients." She explained, then took a deep breath and turned right into the stable yard. Her wagon was parked where she'd left it, the stallion who pulled it grazing peacefully in a small paddock shaded by an old oak. Many of their parcels had already been delivered and the wagon was half loaded. By the time Kavala settled with the stable master and had her stallion Silk harnessed up, she guessed the rest would be ready to go as well and all dropped off.

"My family lives there. I have three children, two boys and a girl. They are all very young. My niece and nephew live there too. The are twins and Kelvics as well that are your age. You will enjoy them I suspect. Larik is a broody soul, calm, but very very fierce. Hes a golden eagle. Cadra is a gentle soul, very playful, very mischievous. People like her immediately. My cousin Aweston is a groom there. We have a blacksmith Asdar and his daughter Megan who is also a kelvic cougar, and there is a falconer - Chalce - who relates more to animals than people. We have several more huma grooms that live at The Sanctuary, and a gardener as well. Some help with the healing clinic." Kavala paused, hoping she wasn't overwhelming Freke. She wanted him to know what was coming on his own and not be too worried about it.

"The Sanctuary, in its own way, is a city in its own right. Its surrounded protectively by tall walls. The animals there will accept you, if we take it slow, and you'll be given duties that you will be paid for. We'll try you out on various things until you find something you like doing and are good at. And as far as how you should react.... Freke, we will really just want you to be yourself, whomever that is." Kavala said softly. She patted his shoulder and then went to open the gate for the stallion. She needed to get him in the traces and get them headed back to The Sanctuary so she could unload and be done with the day before it got too late.

Rather than grab a halter or any sort of headstall, Kavala simply opened the gate and raised an eyebrow at what looked like a somewhat elderly stallion snoozing in the shade. He continued to sleep for a few moments then lifted his head with a snort.

"Gone. You were gone at length." He rumbled and tossed his mass of mane. He was a big animal, palomino and sporting a waterfall of white hair. He snorted, stretched, and then headed over to bump his nose against Kavala's chest. She scratched him under his chin where he liked, looking for all the world like a child next to him. Then she introduced the two creatures.

"Silk, this is Freke. He's going to be staying with us a while. Be nice and pass it to the others that he will be instructed not to bother you horses unless he is given duties involving you." She said softly, then gently grabbed a handful of Silk's fetlock and lead him over to the cart. With just a few taps on his shoulder and one simple command to back up she had the big stallion standing where she wanted him to start tacking him up.

Silk turned, nodded his head at Freke, and then inhaled deeply. His lip curled with distaste.

"Dog? Kavala really.... " The horse actually frowned, inhaled again, then widened his eyes. "No, Wolf. Kavala... why don't you ever bring home kelvics that don't like to eat us?" He asked quite seriously, but other than mild annoyance didn't seem afraid.

Silk snorted again, but dipped his head as the Konti continued to move around him, tightening the girth and snugging up the traces to the wagon forks. The stallion still didn't wear anything on his head. He was neither bitted or fitted with blinders. Kavala talked as she worked.

"Freke, all the animals at The Sanctuary are members of The Sanctuary. It is my will that you not harm them in any way, but instead protect them as they are charged to protect you." She said, turning to meet his gaze and make sure there was no question about this desire in Freke's mind. When she was done harnessing up the horse and two more packages arrived and were loaded into the wagon, Kavala climbed up into the drivers seat. There were no reins, but she patted the seat next to her. "Come on up!" She said, and scooted over to make room.

"Ready Silk? Lets head home." She said and the stallion moved forward, prancing slightly, as he pulled the wagon out of the stableyard and headed south towards the entrance road to the city. He seemed to have no problem navigating the main street, and Kavala appeared relaxed on the seat.

Once they had passed through the gates and started north, Kavala asked him her next question.

"My turn... to ask you another question." She thought for a moment and then smiled as she turned slightly to him. Silk was wandering along independently, as if he knew the way home just fine and was going to pace the distance at a geriatric speed. "I'd love to know about your past. Have you ever been bonded at your age? I don't even know how old you are." She said, letting that be her question. If she was lucky he'd let her sneak both in as one.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Freke on June 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm

His head nodding Freke hung on every word Kavala spoke. He liked the sound of The Sanctuary, he hoped he'd have many opportunities to prove himself a good and useful slave. While it was a bit much for him to fully process his mind instead focused on what he could do for her. If she owned horses and cared for others she'd need manual labor. Apologies Mistress. I am a wolf, most animals can sense that. Would it be wise keeping me near them? Wouldn't they smell me and start to freak out? Hoping he didn't over step, or cause offense Freke quietly walked behind her.
He was a idiot, Freke quickly touched his neck and realized he didn't have his collar on. Mentally kicking himself yet again he looked around the buildings they walked past, since it was his fault for losing it he'd have to take responsibility for either finding it or getting a new one. Something suddenly occurred to Freke, what if she didn't like his leather collar and wanted him to wear a different one? Perhaps there was something wrong with the design or the material?

As she described her estate he quickly realized his new mistress was rich, it would be best to keep her happy or she'd be able to afford for a accident to happen to him. He'd have to be careful around her and her family, she had several predators, if he spoke out of turn they could quickly turn on him. "Ok" He thought to himself. I have a rich Mistress who can afford who knows that, and a house full of predator kelvics. I need to be doubly careful." He gulped a little. "Mistress I know who I am, I am a slave, your slave. You don't need to pay me." After a chime he started talking again, but this time his eyes looked down and away. No small degree of shame could be heard as well "I'm not the best at it right now, but if you wish I could go out and hunt to feed myself. If you wish it I could bring my kills back for you." There was a little hope in his voice with the last part. He hoped that if she allowed this his kills would please her.

Seeing the horses Freke stayed back, knowing they'd smell a wolf and get scared. He'd hate for his mistress to get hurt the same day she bought him. When her horse spoke Freke's jaw dropped, did he hear what he thought? No, no horses don't talk. This was a trick of some sort, perhaps a illusion spell, or he's just losing his mine. "Um Mistress? I think there's something wrong with me. I could've sworn I heard your horse talk, which is impossible." Unsure what's going on he stood there, unsure what he could and couldn't trust. If this was a illusion spell then who knows what the caster affected. If he was going going mad than the same issue, he had no way to know what was real and what was fake. He saw the horse, the talking horse step closer to him and take a sniff and do it again, the creature talked. Standing there Freke started to panic. Unsure what exactly is going on he watched what appeared to be a horse carefully.

Nodding his head it took Freke a chime to answer "Yes Mistress, I'll defend them as best as I can." Giving the animal a wide birth he walked towards Kavala and slowly climbed up the cart. "Mistress do animals often talk in Riverfall?" It took him another couple chimes to answer her questions. "I am about 5 years old. Birthdays were never a big thing for slaves so I'm not positive about it. There isn't much to tell about my life thou. I was trained for the first three or so years of my life. They taught me unarmed combat skills, showed me how to call on my master's strength with Flux to increase my own when needed. They had me hunt some in both forms, I guess a wolf that doesn't hunt isn't worth as much." he added jokingly "I spent about two years with my master. There I'd often follow him around in my wolf form to parties, or wherever he wanted. Some times I'd be in my human form, but he wouldn't let me shift at parties. He said his friends would be to upset seeing me naked.

After a long moment of thinking about his question Freke realized he'd already asked more than one question of Kavala. I appologize Mistress, I broke the rules of your game and I asked you to many questions." he said ashamed of himself "What does your game require as punishment for breaking the rules?" Hoping the punishment wouldn't be to horrible Freke sat there silently waiting for Kavala's orders
Freke
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on June 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Kavala said nothing for the longest time. Explaining to him, certain things, would be difficult if not impossible. Most of his questions, she decided, he’d have to learn on his own at his own pace because the Konti knew for certain any instruction she gave him might be pushing him too hard. That was especially true if the instruction involved independent thinking. Again, she wondered how old he was.

“Let me worry about how the animals that live at The Sanctuary will react.” She was careful not to call them hers. Never that. Kavala, though Konti, was born among the Drykas where animals existed in cooperation with The People of the Grasslands and were never owned. Even their horses were considered kin, family, not property. Her voice was soft and did not lack kindness, but it was also firm as if she wanted to convince him that what she said was true.

Mistress. He had called her that several times and it made her shudder with discomfort. There was much she could give him leeway for, beings that he was a Kelvic and born to slavery, but refusing to use her name was not one of them. “Please, call me Kavala. I dislike the term Mistress tremendously.” She explained, then moved on to bring her point home.

“The Sanctuary earns a collective income. I give a share of that income to everyone who works to make it successful. If you work for that success, along with everyone else, you will get a share in it as well. Not everything fits a label, Freke. And just because In your mind you think I do not need to pay you, doesn’t mean in my mind I don’t feel I must. I do feel I must. And did you not say you would respect my wishes? That means calling me Kavala and accepting coin I wish to give to you.” The Konti said firmly, her voice still soft, which didn’t match the stiff set of her shoulders.

“Yes, he talks. He often talks too much because he is a very opinionated stallion. But he often has wise advice as well. You’d best heed it if you know what’s good for you. And he is smart. They all are. They will know you will not hurt them because you are with me and he will tell all of them what I have told him which is that you are to live with us and you will bring them no harm. If you do harm them, Freke, there will be much to answer for. There are horses at The Sanctuary that can do you great harm as well. You might not believe that any more than you believe horses can talk, but it is the truth. Everything at The Sanctuary can talk in my presence. Even you can in your wolf form. It is a gift from The God of Mischief. Sometimes the Gods favor us mortals with such things.” She explained carefully, hoping he’d understand and not write her off as crazy. Even if he disbelieved, time would rectify that. Once the chickens started screaming at him for their scratch or the cats told him he stunk, he’d start to understand better.

Kavala was a patient sort.

“Animals never talk in Riverfall unless I am there. It is part of the gift. It is not based on location but on who they are in close proximity too.” She added, knowing he might not accept her words as the truth.

She grew silent as he began to talk and she listened as he gave her his age as five. That struck her as disappointing. He was old for a kelvic. Not that he wouldn’t live ten to twenty years more. But the truth was he was old to learn new ways. And even if she could introduce him to freedom, he might not understand or embrace it. Sometimes, those born to servitude preferred living in servitude for the whole of their lives, finding comfort in the familiar and fear in the unexplored.

She took a long look at him when he mentioned his Master preferred him in one form or the other. “When you are at The Sanctuary, you can be in what form you choose. Sometimes your work or your rest will be better suited for your wolf, and sometimes you will be in need of hands.” She added, nodding to his neck. “That is why you will not wear a collar around me. Collars are for controlling ones form. Cinched down tight, you cannot take your wolf form and what if you need it? To run? To fight? Even to howl if you so desire?" She added, chucking at Silk for a moment as the horse seemed to want to pause and nibble at some tall grass. The old man was getting old, Kavala decided, and maybe trips to town with a heavily loaded wagon on the way back weren’t the kindest to him. But she didn’t like the idea of trading him for a warhorse which traces and a wagon might confuse the training of.

“You asked me two questions. That is fine. It is not part of the game, but I asked you multiple ones in return. The game requires, since you asked, that I get another free question" She said stoically. He had yet to ask her any real questions about herself. He'd only asked her questions about his new situation. She didn't blame him, not really.

“What were all the previous rules you had to live under with your former master? I’d like to hear them all. We might need to make some for you, though I’m not sure that’s completely necessary at the moment.” She added, not willing to completely trust him around her children or the denizens of The Sanctuary alone. Time would tell and she’d give him a chance. But if he proved untrustworthy, she’d find out soon enough. Even Dreamwalking this trip between them from his perspective might prove enlightening. She could find out his real thoughts, and not just his emotions, from scanning back over it.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Freke on June 7th, 2017, 12:58 am

Nodding his head Freke watched the horse. "As you wish Mistress." While he didn't fully trust the horse, or his own seances he wasn't going to doubt his mistress. These were her animals, she would know them better than anyone. Relieved he wasn't going mad Freke sighed. She was touched by the gods, and had a truly amazing gift. "I haven't heard of the god of mischief, but you must have pleased him greatly to get such a blessing" Looking at the horse again Freke tilted his head. He knew animals had their own language, but never considered them being able to speak common tongue. This would take some getting use to

Being told to call Kavala by her name surprised him, he'd never heard of anyone giving a slave permission to do that. Things surely were different here in Riverfall than in Alvadas. "As you wish Misst.... Apologies, as you wish Kavala." It felt wrong calling her by her name, he couldn't shake the feeling he was about to be punished for doing so. As she talked about his collar he rubbed his neck. It felt weird without something around it. If he had to protect her he'd be able to shift quickly, he wouldn't have to waste valuable time while someone removed it. Seeing her reasons he accepted it Hearing what came next Freke's heart skipped a beat "Misst... Kavala I can decide to shift? I can run and sleep as I wish?" He wasn't able to fully comprehend this, Freke sat there for a very long moment thinking it over. He wouldn't need to ask? "I appologize but I missed your question, could you possibly repeat it for me?" Having to force himself to listen to Kavala repeating the question it still took Freke a moment to respond

"I'm sorry" he started "I'm having a hard time accepting being able to shift when I want." Taking another chime before answering Freke's words were slow at first as he tried to focus on what he needed to say. "I was not allowed to shift without permission, and I had to make sure no one was around when I did, with few exceptions. There were areas of his home I wasn't allowed to go. If he was in his study I was not to disturb him without good reason. I could not leave his home without permission." He stopped for a moment and looked at his arms. "He forbid me from bonding with anyone other than him. It angered him that I hadn't"
Freke
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext