Closed A Nail For Your Coffin

(Terag) A Isurian blacksmith makes a Spiritist a set of ghostnails.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 20th, 2017, 12:13 am

As the Isur lost himself in his work, Madeira simply watched him. He handled the metal confidently, never shying away from the molten metal even as it sparked and hissed at him. She could see the ripple of jarring contact as his stone fist ground into the cloudy metal, and the way the thick muscles coiled and released around the bones beneath. Sweat collected along his messy hairline, and ran in beads in the ravin between his shoulders. He was healthy and strong in a way that Madeira completely lacked. And suddenly she was embarrassed of her boney hands, and how they sat on her lap like frail white spiders. Her skin was soft and untouched, scented with lemon skin cream and more suited to sitting still on padded chairs than doing any sort of physical labour. If he were made of metal, she would be made of glass.

Eventually he turned back to her, and spoke of ghosts. Apparently the Isur had legends of master smiths returning after death to finish projects before they passed on. She couldn't help but smile at that. How very like those stubborn Isur, eschewing something as trivial as death to finish their craft.

"True, tools are never evil." she nodded after his tangent about magics, and how misunderstood they could be. "But if a man picks up a sword, do you expect him to do anything else but kill with it? Magic users are rarely peaceful people, you must have noticed. It attracts a certain breed, a kind that wants power. Even if it is power over the
elements, and not people. Or-" she motioned to herself "power over dead people. Magic isn't inherently bad", she met his sad smile with a bitter one of her own, "but people have ever reason to be wary of those who practise."

Terag turned back to his work, and now his movements changed. His hands turned delicate as he scratched lines into the metal. The hits of his hammer became more calculating as he began to shape the metal in earnest. When he was satisfied with the shape, he threw the completed nail in a tub of tepid water, which crackled and belched a
pocket of steam.

He offered that in a couple chimes she inspect the work, and let him know of any changes she wanted.

"Oh! Yes, yes, of course." She got up off the chair, feeling the wetness down her back from the oppressive heat, and began rolling up her long sleeve. Though the heat of the forge was trapped under her long skirt and choking her in her modest neckline,  she refused to loosen her bodice or open her collar. But rolling up her sleeve and exposing the flesh to even the smallest movement in the air was a relief.

She waited several chimes, as instructed, then dipped her hand into the shallow basin. The water was warm and almost oily, and the overwhelming smell of metal that lifted from it burned in the back of her throat. She found the nail and lifted it out, shaking excess water from the surface. The thing was ten centimetres long and quite thick. It sat reassuringly heavy in her hand. Surely an unruly ghost would have endless trouble trying to dislodge something as sturdily built as this.

"It's perfect", Madeira praised the blacksmith, her cracked lips curling into a smile. "This is exactly what I need. If you can make eight more of these, I'll have a full set." She placed the finished nail on the small table beside her chair, and after deliberating for a moment, she stepped closer to the Isur. Her voice dropped in pitch but didn't lose any of her delight. "If you would consider making me a tenth nail with your Reimancy, of whatever material you choose, I’ll throw in a couple more gold." She tried to persuade him with money and a smile, which she found tended to be a winning combination. “I'm interested in your art, and how it might affect mine. Arn't you?"

She retreated back to her chair, and continued with her voice low under the crashing of the hammers from the other smiths. "I remember you mentioned Magecrafting and Glyphing earlier. I'm familiar with Glyphing- my family will be teaching it to me once my Spiritism improves. But I don't know much about Magecrafting. Is it similar to Malediction? Did your father teach you?"

Note*franticly googles imperial system*

I want 2lbs, I think, which would make it 1gm for the lot. Plus a bonus if Terag agrees to make something with Reimancy. :nod:

Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Terag on September 23rd, 2017, 3:19 am

Terag couldn’t help but smile a bit when she had remarked that he had done perfectly for her nail. He was always proud of his work, but hearing someone else agree how good his work was always a pleasant experience. His smile faded a tad when she had dropped her voice and requested the tenth nail from him – a nail made of stone from his abilities with reimancy. He brought his left hand up to his face, the skin still warm with heat from the forge as he stroked his goatee for a moment. As far as he was aware the stone he could create with his reimancy was no different from normal stone – at least as far as his father had instructed him. However, his father always talked about how there was much more that needed to be learned about reimancy. Perhaps this was another chance to learn more, maybe there was more to his creations than just lumps of stone, or there was nothing more and the nail would do no better than a rock the spiritist could pick up from the ground. After a chime Terag began to speak again as he reached his decision.

“I suppose if you are requesting it, and in the pursuit of knowledge, it is not something I will deny you. Although I will only agree provided you promise to come back and tell me what happens of the process, I am as curious as well.” Terag smiled a bit as well, it was nice to talk about magic and see someone else so interested and understanding. He had learned at an early age that others typically didn’t understand or were afraid of magic. He had earned a glare or a terrified stare once or twice before by using his magic in public. As he thought some more Terag reached into the forge once more to pull the ingot out before it got too hot and began to melt. Setting about his work he pulled out the chisel once more and began to cut off another section of the metal and began making nails once again.

This time Terag didn’t let himself get too distracted and talked while he worked, “You should be excited to learn Glyphing I hope,” Terag watched his volume as he continued to work, not letting his multi-tasking let his voice get too loud so others could overhear, “my father had talked to me about it some but I never picked up the skill myself. It is very useful. I wish I had learned while I could, it would help with trying to do Magecrafting for anything past something simple past a single step.” Terag chuckled a bit and smiled sadly, regretting that choice a bit before continuing. “Magecrafting is more or less what the name implies, no? A mage, like myself, crafting something. The implied part is that these products are something more than just a sword or a shield but have some bonus to them. As for how similar it is to Malediction, I am afraid I do not know. My father once mentioned that craft but told me little about it. With Magecrafting you make items do more than they could do before, such as a sword that is impossibly sharp or a shield that is lighter than it should be, or creating something completely new and normal people think is impossible, such as a small cube that you can use to create a fire.” All while he talked, Terag’s hammer and hands did not stop moving. As each nail was finished he tossed them into the water basin as he had before – each immediately followed by sizzling and bubbling as the heated metal was forced to cool.

“My father did in fact teach me the basics of Magecrafting. It was one of the few things that he could talk to me about and hold my attention for any length of time – like most Isur I was more eager for the forge than most other things despite my parent’s desires. But the choices we make and the products we get from them are for us to use one way or another, no? Either way, I have gotten little experience in with both Reimancy and Magecrafting since I have left Sultros. Many places are not found of the former’s use at all, and the second is a delicate craft and requires many intricate preparations and materials that I do not have now.”

As Terag finished talking he tossed the last of the nails into the water, completing the nine nails that she had requested. “Before I make the final nail you wanted, please inspect those for flaws or imperfections that you find not up to your satisfaction.” Terag was sure that at most there would be a few inconsistencies between the nails due to the fact he was not a master smith yet, but they should all be more than good enough to do the job.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 27th, 2017, 5:49 am

Madeira's mind wandered off as the smith began working out more nails. She was lost to thoughts of Magecrafting, as he explained what sounded to be a much more technical craft than Malediction. An impossibly sharp sword, a cube that creates fire? He spoke like there were recipes for such things. As if this was something you created with purpose, rather than the guided luck that plagued Malediction.

She was still chasing thoughts of arrows that always found their mark and swords sharp enough to cut mist when Terag drew her attention back. He was done with the nails, it seemed, and he wanted her approval.

Once more she was off the stiff wooden chair and back to the shallow basin. She collected all eight nails and laid them side by side beside the ninth on the table. The Craven didn't know much about metalwork, but her untrained eye could tell these nails were sturdily done. They were not pretty, and more than one had a rough, uneven texture. But she was not in the business of pretty, she needed something strong to keep her safe. And these would do just fine.

"These are exactly what I need, Terag. You've done a fantastic job. Go ahead and start on my, ah, special request. I have something I want to try."

The Spiritist took three of the nails and arranged them into a circle. With the heel of her hand she pushed the pointed ends into the table just enough so that they would stand on their own. Then from her pocket she placed the little marble of transmuted black stone in the centre. With a fourth nail she nicked the underside of her wrist, around the already existing scars, until a bead of blood grew like a flower from her white skin. She dipped a finger from her opposite hand into the wound and used the gruesome paint to draw on the table. Quickly a lopsided sixteen-point star began to appear, outlined in rapidly congealing blood.

The Spiritist worked a silver ring from her left hand, one the glittered with a large opal, and placed it in the centre. She leaned over her little creation and said quietly, but as clearly as she could, "Emma Chamelle!"

Her soul activated Emma's soulmist in the hollow ring, which resonated invisibly with the dead child. There was a pulling sensation deep within her core as the ghost was dragged to the summoning. The air in the forge cracked with electricity and popped as the temperature dropped, and suddenly a semi-transparent child in a frilly nightgown was standing on the table. The ghost's large brown eyes eyes were wide and baffled.

"Maddy?" she squeaked uncertainly before inserting her thumb into her mouth.

"Hi kitten, I'd like you to meet my new friend. Come down off the table." the ghost did as she was told and drifted to the floor. She passed through Madeira, only to peek timidly out from behind her. "Emma, this is Terag. He's a blacksmith, and he's really nice. Why don't you say hello?"

Emma extended a hand through Madeira's pelvis and gave a tiny wave.

"Terag, this is Emma. Her and her, ah, bondmate, live with me. She's a sweet girl, just a little shy."

Introductions accomplished, Madeira turned the girls attention to the little circle of nails.

"I have a favor to ask, Emma. See that marble in the middle there? See if you can push it out."

This would be the test. She wouldn't be able to find out if adding soulmist to the raw metal made a difference beyond surface imbuing, but she could test that the nails actually worked. She had only ever used a connected string of soulbeads as a barrier. She was interested to see if she could accomplish the same thing with the simple, free standing nails.

The ghost reached over the table, intending to poke the marble out. But as she reached the nails her soulmist met resistance. She struggled against it, her face screwed up in concentration, but couldn't get through. Soulmist coalesced around her hand, and it became much more solid as the rest of her seemed to leech into the limb. She pushed and pushed and pushed, until one of the more loosely set nails began to wobble under the pressure. Then finally the nail toppled and the circle was broken, and the marble skittered out from behind it's protective barrier. Emma gave a childish squeal of excitement.

"I got it!"

"Good job kitten." Madeira gave the girl a smile like a proud mother and mimed patting her head. While the child was attempting to poke the marble back across the table, Madeira lifted her head and spoke to Terag. "Looks like your creations work, thank you. How is my request going?"

Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Terag on October 30th, 2017, 1:18 pm

He took a moment to breathe as he watched the woman get off the chair once more to gather the nails he had made for her. As he did so he slowly began to focus himself as to control the res in his body once again. It was not often he got this much practice in with his reimancy, and so already he was starting to feel the stress the magic had on his mind and body. He smiled as she complimented his work, and raised an eyebrow when she mentioned there was something she wanted to try.

As he continued to gather his res he watched her organize the nails and begin to go about her work with the strange substance from earlier as well. The process was intriguing, and he nearly lost his concentration completely as she whispered a name – a name that was lost to him but it immediately had an effect. He could feel the air against his skin cool slightly, and he immediately began to look around to see if the manifesting girl was obvious to any of the other smiths. For the time being they seemed too wrapped up in their own work – as Isur often did when they crafted – but Terag frowned all the same as he was worried this would draw too much attention.

With his concentration now split between keep his res slowly flowing through his body and out his palm and moving his form to try to cover the situation in front of him, which was not an easy feat regardless of how broad he was as he only stood a little over five feet, he could get little out than a wave back and a nod to the little girl that had appeared from thin air. If she hadn’t told him prior of her craft he wasn’t really sure what he would be doing in this situation other than just staring dumb founded as he used his body to cover the going-ons in front of him.

As the girl became more focused on the marble on the table, Terag could relax slightly that his frame could cover what was going on once more. He turned and checked the room once more, at least for the time none of the other Isur seemed to haven noticed anything. Each was more absorbed within their own work rather than worrying that another one of them might be doing something else. Terag brought his hands together to finally allow his res to flow freely from them as he had gather enough to create a nail.

He smiled and nodded to Madeira, though his eyes still unwarily would look at the little child from time to time as he spoke, trying to still be as friendly as he could. “I am glad that my craft suits you. As for your request I will do my best in just a moment. To be sure that your,” there was a brief pause before he continued, “less-than-solid friend here keeps out of sight and mind. Many of us know little more than our crafts, and I am sure you understand how much not knowing things can something lead to bigger concerns.”

As he finished speaking Terag slowly began to pull his hands apart, the res between them condensing into stone as he had done many times before – at first a piece no larger than a grain of sand that began to grow as Terag added more res onto it and converted it into stone. Slowly the nail took shape, and when finished he quickly moved his onyx-black left hand down to catch the similarly dark colored nail. The surface of the nail was smooth to the touch, but otherwise had the same shape as the nails he had made previously, though it was lighter do to its different composition of stone and not metal.

He coughed as he handed the newly formed nail to Madiera, doing his best to also ignore the metallic taste in his mouth. He was more than a little out of practice it seemed if he was already starting to over give. “Here, this is what you wanted, no?” The nail was of the same stone as the marble he had created earlier for her, though it was made of nothing more than stone. “I do not promise it will be able to do anything more than a normal nail for what you need, but it is what you asked for, no?”
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Madeira Dusk on November 2nd, 2017, 5:41 am

Madeira wasn't too fussed about the other smiths seeing Emma, but put her fingers to her lips to hush her all the same. Ghosts were a common enough sight in the darker corners of Alvadas. And her last name was as good as a sword and shield against those who would prosecute her for her craft. But Terag was right- no use riling his coworkers up if they didn't have too.

The Spiritist caught the marble as it flew off the table, flicked by a very pleased ghost.

"Emma, dear", Madeira pocketed the stone, much to the child's chagrin. "Why don't you settle here for now" she patted her chest.

"But!-"

Madeira held her hand up quellingly, and the girl fell silent.

"Be good, and you can walk my body home.", she persuaded gently

That caught her attention. The girl's eyes lit up.

"All the way?"

"If you're good."

This was all the convincing Emma needed. She drifted silently through the table and disappeared through Madeira's torso, bursting to prove that she was indeed a good girl. Possession was still not a comfortable feeling, as the invading soulmist wound through her body, but it was getting easier. Emma did not try to lever Madeira's soul away from her bones but simply sat alongside, quiet and out of the way. Madeira rallied her own soul and made the effort to trap the young spirit in her body anyway, holding the soul to her bones as if with tether hooks. It wouldn't do to have the ghost pop unexpectedly out of her chest and scare someone.

Unfortunately, she was so focused on her ghost she almost completely missed Terag's efforts to make her tenth nail. One moment she looked over to the subdued blue glow of manipulated res suspended over his palm, and next second his powerful black hand caught the black nail as it dropped.

This new show of magic seemed to draw something out of the smith. As he handed it over he coughed gruffly into his goatee, and she could see his tongue roll through his cheek. He asked her if this is what she wanted, this innocuous nail.

“Absolutely.” she nodded fervently. “I will be shocked if it behaved any differently than the others that you made. I mean, you never know of course. But that’s not the point, is it?” She held up the solid black nail, and that manic gleam was back in her eye. “This is true, solid magic. And it’s mine”, she whispered under the pounding of the hammers. It was a magic she did not have and never would. But the nail was proof it existed, that she had seen it, and that she owned a tiny piece of it.

The heat was starting to get to her again. Her face was shiny and red, and her unravelling chignon was sticking to her neck. Her hand came up to play with the shiny brass button at her throat, but she didn't undo it.

"Thank you for having me back here. Seeing an Isur work is an honour not many people get. Nor a mage", she added succinctly, a sly smile on her lips.

The Craven stood, setting her pack on the low, scorched table and digging at the bottom. From within she produced ten gold coins, which clicked together merrily in her hands. She put these on the table between them, and stowed all ten nails in the depths of her bag. Finally, she had proper ghostnails. Every Spiritist worth their salt had their own nails, and no set were ever the same. Yet she was sure hers her special; made by an Isur, and a special one crafted by a mage. This was an important step in her career, and already she felt a little taller.

She held out a hand to shake. Her left hand. Her smile shone brighter than the coals.

"Thank you, Terag."

Word count: 654
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Terag on December 16th, 2017, 6:59 am

Terag had been somewhat confused by the girl’s and her ghost friend’s conversation about walking the girl’s body home. This seemed to suggest that ghosts might be able to control a living person’s body, which Terag assumed would be uncomfortable in the least and terrifying in the most. He tried to pay the conversation no mind though, the craft was not his and he assumed it was like those who worried for him when he shoved his arm into the forge – a simple misunderstanding that those on the outside could easily make.

He barely made out Madeira’s soft whispers above the clanging of hammers around him, but she seemed content with his product and his display of magical prowess. That alone was enough to bring a smile to his lips, craftsmen are always happy when their work is appreciated after all. For the first time Terag seemed to notice how uncomfortable the woman was in the heat, her outfit alone probably kept her warm in the colder months of the year but inside a forge she probably felt as if she was sitting within the flame itself. He would offer something if he could but there was little one could do but remove unnecessary clothing in this sort of heat, after all that was why most Isur worked with little on except for the aprons and sometimes not even then. Well, that was one reason at any rate.

Terag bowed slightly towards the woman as she thanked him, “I am glad you appreciated it. Sharing one’s craft is always an honor when the other appreciates the display of course.” While she fished for the coins Terag set about cleaning his space for a few moments rather than deigning to stand awkwardly watching her dig about her purse. When he heard the soft clink of the payment onto the table he smiled some and turned around and took the coins after counting them under his breath before stashing them away in his apron. He looked up again to see her hand extended to shake, and with a smile he took it and shook firmly, or at least firmly enough to be friendly and not to break her hand with his onyx hand.

“You are very welcome miss Craven,” He tried to remember to use her last name, after all he had to try his best not to be too relaxed while at work with a customer, and in front of the other Isur it would be a tad strange to act relaxed with an outsider who was not a smith or a crafter of some sorts. “Allow me to escort you toward the front once more since I believe we are finished?” He tried to smile and be friendly again before leading the way out of the forge, passing by Vacielli and giving him a nod to indicate that they had finished before continuing towards the front of the shop.

Once they arrived Terag held open the door for the woman, and spoke low as to not alert the other customers or his fellow Isur to their conversation, “I do hope you enjoyed your time. If you need anything else another time I will gladly offer my services to once again, especially for someone who can appreciate my many crafts and has crafts of her own.” He emphasized the word 'crafts' hoping she’d pick up that he had meant both his work and his magic. “And if you need me to work any of them again, or wish to speak again then feel free to drop by again or say hello if you happen to pass me on the street. For now, however, if our business is concluded then I will wish you a good day.” He finished his sentence with a smile once more, as his face often returned to a neutral expression if he did not actively try to smile. It was a habit he attributed to being an Isur, something about being from the stone means always return to your base.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Nail For Your Coffin

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 5th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Madeira Craven

Skills
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Socialization: 5xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp
  • Teaching: 3xp
  • Spiritism: 3xp
  • Acting: 1xp
  • Philosophy: 1xp
  • Endurance: 1xp
  • Persuasion: 3xp

Lores
  • Vacielli Vizerian: master smith
  • Vacielli Vizerian: owner of Kitrean Krafts
  • People: Terag
  • Lore of dijed to res
  • Terag: reimancer
  • Lore of Reimancy
  • Lore of Magecraft

Awards & Retribution
-Fractured Knuckle- with care, will heal in two weeks
-10gm
+10 Ghostnails
+ Onyx Marble

Notes
Notes here.

Terag

Skills
  • Singing: 1xp
  • Observation: 4xp
  • Socialization: 5xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Rhetoric: 1xp
  • Logic: 1xp
  • Teaching: 3xp
  • Reimancy: 2xp
  • Blacksmithing: 3xp
  • Philosophy: 1xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp

Lores
  • Madeira Craven: Spiritist
  • Lore of Ghostnails
  • Spiritism tool: soulmist
  • Spiritism tecnique: summoning
  • Lore of the philosophy of magic

Awards & Retribution
+10gm

Notes
Notes here.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous