PM to join Give me a Place

Rohka shares an idea, and catches a show [Rumour Thread]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Give me a Place

Postby Rohka on September 4th, 2017, 2:24 am

3rd day of Fall, 517 AV

It was time to close shop. There were only two patrons left in the House and one of them was getting up to leave. Grayson gave him a quick wave before walking over to the young man asleep at the table,

“Wake up little man, we’re closing.” He patted the disheveled bloke on the back, causing him to stir. “Come on, gittup, you gotta go.” He awoke with a jolt and looked at Grayson’s tired eyes. “Go sleep in yer own bed boy, and come back in the morning if you need to,” he added, the suggestion geared to his own benefit. The more regulars, the better. Grayson grabbed him by the collar and helped him up, then shuffled over to the door together. He hailed a ravosalaman and shifted his sleepy patron over to the boat.

Rohka watched him from the corner of the long bar as she shuffled through her cards. She sat waiting patiently on the stool, knowing that she’d soon be able to talk to him privately. The young sybil had gotten to meet Lelia and was finally employed for a business she enjoyed. Roh didn’t know much about business. But she figured what she had in mind was an idea Grayson couldn’t refuse. He had nothing to lose. Nonetheless, she was nervous. She’s never asked for anything like this from anyone before. Roh waited with bated breath for him to return.

“Alright, kid. What did you wanna talk about,” he began, not expecting the conversation to last longer than five or so chimes. “Make it quick, I gotta pick up a new iron pot from Thorin’s forge. Cheese needs a new pot.” Grayson leaned against the bar and nodded at her to start.

“Well, we could walk and talk, if you prefer. It’s late, and I wouldn’t want Thorin to close before we’re done,” she said, concerned. She needed him to be in a good, calm, open headspace when she asks him about her idea. “Um, it might take time for me to convince you, Grayson.” Rohka grinned, wondering if that would get his gears spinning.

“Whoa there now, what the petch are you trying to convince me of? You’re too young for me, you know, as cute as you think you are.” It was Grayson’s turn to grin as Rohka threw him a look of fake disgust.

“Really, Grayson? Really?” It’s no wonder he wasn’t married, she thought. Rohka didn’t know that Grayson was being serious. He’d enjoyed her presence as a tenant the last couple years, but it was only recently that she’d began to talk to him more. He’d grown fond of her company.

“Get on with it, Roh.” She smiled, knowing he only called her that when he was asking for her attention.

“Fine. I want to set up a fortune-telling table at the Malt House. Right there,” she pointed to the far corner near the door, to a table in the line of sight of any patron that would walk in.
Last edited by Rohka on September 7th, 2017, 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Give me a Place

Postby Rohka on September 4th, 2017, 5:54 am

“No.”

“But Graaaysooon!” She whined, not at all sure what she was initially expecting. He didn’t give her a chance to explain, she thought, angrily.

“No buts. Is that all?” He asked, looking at her as he started to back away towards the cloakrack near the door. Grayson wasn’t in the business of anything remotely related to magic, nor will he ever be. He couldn’t possibly imagine why she needed to play her games at an official table in his House. It just didn’t make any sense. People would get confused. He figured this was just one of those silly ideas of hers and that she’d let it go after talking through the faults of her plans.

“Wait!” Rohka hurried after him, jogging quickly to grab both his cloak and hers. “Just give me a tick to tell you how great of an opportunity this is and how you don’t have to pay a thing!” Grayson grunted as he held his hand out and kept the door open. Rohka didn’t budge. She held his cloak and stared at him. Five ticks later, Grayson waved his arm towards the door and sighed. Rohka didn’t say anything as she handed him back his cloak. He tied it around his neck and walked out the door, letting Rohka follow him as he turned the key in the lock behind them. This meant he would listen, and the young sybil was grateful.

“Ok. Can we discuss it in the ravosala?” She asked softly.

“Fine.”

Getting into the boat gave her time to process her argument. She then carefully detailed what her table would entail: a tablecloth, some candles, and a skull or crystal prop of sorts, all tailored to fit with the Malt House’s aesthetic - she made sure to stress that part, along with the fact that she would pay for everything. Roh explained that she’d met with Lelia thanks to a patron who came into his House, and that the Konti had been kind enough to offer her a permanent job. Rohka figured that since she only had to be at the Mystic Eye in the evenings, she could try to finesse her craft at the Malt House in the mornings and afternoons. It would bring in more patrons, and she would offer readings for free, only if they were a paying customer at the Malt House.

Grayson had nodded his head when she mentioned that last part. The young sybil continued to say that she really wanted to build a reputation for herself, and the best way to do that was to build trust with seekers. It’s easier to build trust when the seeker comes to her instead of having to seek out seekers.

That part made Grayson furrow his brows, but he’d nodded again, so it seemed that he was taking it in at least. Rohka finished by saying that she would make sure that her readings wouldn’t be a nuisance to the other patrons in the House. She chose the table that was close to the door because she figured that if people were coming for food or drinks, they’d want to either be seated well inside, or comfortably outside. Thus, the table she chose was one of very little value.

It was hard to argue with her after that point, although Grayson hadn’t said much of anything. His only gripe was that he didn’t want magic in his establishment… but it was a poor point to make when he could see the advantages. He supposed he could make her a deal.

“I give you a week. If you can get through it without pissing me off, I’ll allow it.”

Rohka thanked him profusely as they got out of the ravosala and onto Thorin’s platform. She was about to say she’d wait outside when they both got distracted by the sound of cheers and giggles.

Around the side of the forge, at the back of the alleyway, were a bunch of little children with their parents, standing around what looked like a little wooden shack. Grayson and Rohka exchanged looks. Grayson shook his head.

“I’m gonna go get my pot. Go check it out, I’ll join you later.”
Last edited by Rohka on September 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Give me a Place

Postby Rohka on September 7th, 2017, 4:18 am

A cloaked figure crouched over a bag next to the wooden shack, shuffling through the items within. Rohka approached the small crowd slowly while watching the figure and listening to the whispers around her.

“The last one was so good!” Said a woman dressed in fine clothes of red silk and leather, speaking to the man yawning beside her. A young boy sat atop the man’s shoulders. “The Rising Dawn was such a nuisance during the storm 5 years ago, weren’t they? Thank Rhysol for getting rid of them,” the man grunted, rubbing his eyes. “Alex, did you like the play?”

“Mhm,” he looked down at his mother, and Rohka caught him smiling and nodding through the corner of her gaze forward. He seemed about eight or nine years old. A lot of the kids here seemed around that age, with a couple teenage-looking boys standing in the back behind her. “Rhysol’s funny,” the boy added.

The man chuckled at this. “Alex!” She exclaimed, grinning. The woman meant to chide him, but she couldn’t contain her amusement. To hear her child speak like this about their lord and saviour was more fun than she’d imagined. “Yes, the puppeteer is excellent.”

A puppet show? Rohka couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen one. It was odd that it was set up in such a narrow space, with barely enough lighting. She watched as the cloaked figure put up a white fabric on the inside wall of the shack before walking around to stand behind it. The crowd hushed.

“Folks, this is the last show of this evening.” The feminine voice boomed in the small space, the tone apologetic. The ‘aww’s from the audience incited a smile from under the cloaked face; Roh couldn’t tell if the figure was a man or a woman, but decided to fix her as female in her mind.

“It’s a new one. A small one,” the puppeteer paused, considering whether he needed to say more. The puppeteer was in fact a man, and he was excited… he enjoyed the way he crafted this particular piece. Out dropped two marionettes, onto the makeshift stage. One was a lady dressed in black, the other was a small boy, dressed in blue, with chartreuse shoes.

The puppeteer cleared his throat and announced the audience,

“I call this one The Words We Use.” He began to move his hands, and the puppets bowed to the audience.

“Bobee, my child,” he began in a high, honeyed voice. The lady marionette held out her arms to the boy. “Tell me what’s on your mind. Tell me the truth.”

“Alright,” he switched his voice, deeper, slightly deadpan. “Talking to you makes me angry.”
“WHAAT?!” The lady waved her arms and jumped up, a lone chuckle emerging from the crowd.
“Well yes ma, that’s all. I’ve confessed.” The boy crossed his arms.
“HOW DARE YOU HURT YOUR MOTHER’S FEELINGS!?!” She flailed around the boy, and the boy quickly followed,
“MA, YOU TOLD ME TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH!!”
“BUT YOU HURT ME!!” She yelled, the two of them chasing each other. The small children in the audience laughed.
The boy turned and stopped the mother with his hands, then sat on the ledge. “But ma, why are you hurt?”
“Well Bobee,” the mother joined her boy by the ledge. “Why are you angry when you talk to me?” The boy turn to face her, then laid his head on her shoulder,
“Because you’re not patient with me.”
“BECAUSE YOU NEVER DO WHAT YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO DO!!” She leaned forward and flailed her arms, the children laughing harder, the parents starting to chuckle.
“But maaa,” the boy got up and walked to the side of the stage, staring off into the distance. “I do what I love.”
“WHY DON’T YOU DO WHAT YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO!!” The mother got up, facing her child. “LIKE ME! I DO EVERYTHING FOR YOOOU!!” She rushed over to the child and hugged him. The puppeteer could sense the tension in the adults in the crowd, but the children watched intently.
“I’m not you.” The boy said, pushing his mother away.
“WELL THEN WHY DON’T YOU GO GET A JOB LIKE BEEBOB!!” She flailed again; the children laughed.
“Beebob is not me.” He sat on the corner of the ledge, and his mother joined him again.
“You’re not doing enough.” She leaned on the boy’s shoulder, and the boy put her arm around her.
“Ma, I know you love me. You know I love you. But you hurt my feelings.”
“But talking to you makes me angry.”
“Is that true?”
“It’s true.”
“Why do I make you angry?” Asked the boy. The mother paused dramatically as the crowd stayed quiet. She got up and slowly started to walk towards the other end of the ledge, then sat down, her head bowed. The puppeteer could viscerally feel the anticipation; it was his favourite part of every show he created. The silent plea for more.
Last edited by Rohka on September 7th, 2017, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Give me a Place

Postby Rohka on September 7th, 2017, 4:23 am

He lifted the head of the mother’s marionette and turned it first to the audience, then to the child marionette, “Because you’re not caring for us,” she said softly.
The boy jumped up, “BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT PATIENT WITH ME!!”
The mother jumped up too, “HOW DARE YOU HURT MY FEELINGS!!”

They began to chase each other again, and the children resumed laughing.

“Oh no, they’re both so upset!” The puppeteer exclaimed, in his normal voice. “What should they do?”

“Kiss and make up!” Shouted one of the little girls.
“Fight, fight, fight!” Yelled a rowdy group of kids.
“Bring in the dad, he’ll fix it.” Assured a man in the front.
“The mom should help her child?” Asked a woman, tentatively.
“The child should say sorry, fix the attitude. Why does the child need his mother’s patience?” An older lady wondered aloud.
“Yea, the child needs to do what he’s supposed to do.” There were nods in the audience at this statement.

The puppeteer grinned at the feedback from his audience. Their auras were all so palpable, even while under the hood of his cloak. One of them caught his attention; he lifted his head to stare at her.

“What about you in the back,” Rohka could feel his eyes on him and caught his face. She quickly realized she’d judged wrong. The young sybil saw clear blue eyes and secrecy in the corners of his mouth, the look suggesting an almost everlasting youth. “Come on dear, what do you think they should do?”

She’d felt odd about this whole thing the moment he started. The play hit close to home, and Roh could barely stand it, yet she managed to keep her face from breaking by remembering how Grayson locks his jaw and holds a steady gaze when he answers a patron begging for free food. ’You get food if you have mizas. You get mizas if you have a job. You get a job if you have what it takes.’ He gave jobs to those who had what it took, and kept those who loved what they did.

“Bobee should get a job he loves,” she said, mimicking the Malt House owner’s persona, crossing her arms. Roh paused, replaying the show in her mind. “And he should stop talking to his mom."

“Ah, but he can’t stop talking to his mom !” The puppeteer grinned. “He has to see her everyday!”

It was like he was purposely mocking her. Like he just knew. She raced through her memory and somehow landed on Sariven; a calmness flooded over her mind. “Then they could…” she paused again, this time, slightly hesitating. Was she really about to say this?

“They could lie.”

“Aaaah,” the puppeteer sighed, and the adults in the audience started whispering in hushed tones. “Wonderful idea! Let’s try it!”

The puppeteer brought his characters back to life and situated them in the middle of his white screen.
“Bobee, child, tell me what’s on your mind. Confess to me.” The mother held out her arms once more.
“Alright.” The child came up to hug her, “Talking to you makes me happy.”
“AWW YOU MAKE ME HAPPY TOO!” The characters jumped up in the air and began to fly around the stage.
“I LOVE YOU!!”
“I LOVE YOU TOO!!” The crowd ‘aww’ed.

“And that’s all, folks!” He whisked away the marionettes as the audience applauded and disappeared behind the shack.

Grayson had returned with his pot and tapped Roh on the shoulder. “It ended with love!” He was grinning before he saw the young woman’s face. She was boiling. She didn’t think she would, but she was. She hated the ending. Filled her with disgust. Her brows released from being scrunched in thought when she noticed Grayson staring at her oddly. “You okay, Roh?”

“Yea, I’m fine. Let’s go.”

The crowd began to disperse and their idle chatter blurred out whatever Grayson tried to tell her as he held her arm while they walked. She caught the voice of the boy she saw earlier, still sitting on his father's shoulders. "Ma, you make me happy."

"Aww, Alex!" Roh refused to look at her, but she heard the mother's tone quickly changing. "Wait," the lady said, her voice low. Rohka could almost hear the gears in the lady's head shifting and it made the young sybil want to scream. Or cry. Or punch a petching wall. Silently behind them, the puppeteer swiftly followed, catching up to her.

“My dear,” he stopped her, she turned to glare at him. “For you,” He held out his marionette - the one that had been the mother in the show. Rohka took it into her hands.

“May it bring you good fortune.”
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Give me a Place

Postby Sayana on October 15th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Rohka
Skills
  • Planning: 1
  • Observation: 3
  • Rhetoric: 3
  • Persuasion: 1
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Business: 2
Lores
  • Grayson: Doesn't want magic in his establishment
  • Business Idea: Free fortunes at table at the Malt House to gain popularity
  • Proposing a business venture
  • Negotiation: Offering a deal in which both sides benefit
  • Puppet show: The Words We Use
  • When faced with conflicting opinions, people can lie to avoid confrontation
Miscellaneous
  • Wooden lady marrionette

Comments: I enjoyed the business idea to attract new customers. She might not get as many as she might hope, since I expect a tavern like the Malt House would have most of its customers during the evening/night. But I did like the concept of providing free fortunes for paying customers in return for a table to use. Also, the puppet show was very cute. I don't quite know all your plots, but I suspect the themes tie in closely to what her relationships are like with her family.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)