Solo Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Job Thread II, Winter 517 AV

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Satevis on February 2nd, 2018, 4:55 am

Image
46th of Winter, 517 AV

There were certain things, Satevis thought, that should have been easy. He understood that medicine was an inherently difficult subject. If it were not difficult, more people would be master surgeons and doctors, and if it were not difficult, it wouuld not be that fascinating to him as a subject. But even in a difficult field, there were some things that were simple. Wounds needed to be clean, cold water needed to be applied to burns. A simple break or a sprain could be treated with a splint. A simple splint was, in theory, nothing more than a rigid object affixed to the injured limb and held in place with bandages and twine.

In theory.

"Not too tight," Jansen warned. "You don't want to cut off circulation."

Satevis nodded in apology, loosening the bindings. He didn't waste the energy it would require to respond, concentrating on his work. At the moment, he was currently trying to manage wrapping a length of twine around the two, thin pieces of bamboo that he had placed on both sides of an arm, the arm in question belonging to Jansen Alavarth himself. It wasn't actually broken, which was a mercy. Satevis had a feeling that if it had been, he would have caused more pain right now than the splint could ease.

The problem was there being too many things to hold onto. Jansen was a patient teacher, though, and Satevis figured out a trick. If he rested the arm on the examination table, and started from the elbow outward, he could hold the bamboo pieces where they were needed and use the twine to secure them. He tried to keep the bindings secure but not overly tight, the way Jansen indicated.

"You could go a little tighter," Jansen said. "You don't want the splint to fall off. That would defeat the purpose. But as soon as you see the bindings starting to dig into the skin, or the skin start to lose color around the bindings..." He pressed down on his own arm with a finger, and Satevis watched as the skin around the area went from a paler blue to its normal shade of blue again, "...you've gone too far."

"It seems like that would be hard to see if there were clothes in the way," Satevis pointed out. Not that that tended to be a problem in Syka, where people generally seemed determined to wear as few clothes as possible.

Jansen nodded, offering Satevis a smile. "In which case, how do you think you'd be able to tell if it's too tight?"

"I don't know," Satevis admitted, although he did consider the problem. "I could tug on the bindings and make sure they aren't too taut."

"You could," Jansen said, "Or you could ask them. Bedside manner is just as important as everything else, you know."

Satevis was embarrassed to admit that the thought had not occurred to him. He looked away, feeling warmth rise to his face. "...Is this too tight?" he asked.

"No," said Jansen. "This is fine. Now, you can start wrapping it with bandages, to keep the splint protected. In a moment, I'll show you how to make a sling--"

The ground began to shake beneath their feet. Jansen did not finish the sentence.
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Satevis on February 6th, 2018, 4:56 am

Image
It took Satevis a moment to process what was happening. When he did understand, he released Jansen's arm as quickly as he could, not wanting to hold onto it and end up actually breaking the limb. One of his hands went out to the shelf nearby, an attempt to steady himself as the ground shook and rumbled. Jansen tumbled backwards, out of the chair, crashing onto the ground. Several jars shook and rattled their way off the shelves as well, breaking open on the floor of the lab and spilling their contents--both fragrant and foul-smelling--all over the floor. Satevis groaned, throwing himself against the shelf for support and also reaching out, trying to stop the jars before they could tumble onto the ground completely. The shaking went on for what felt like forever, long enough that Satevis was afraid the roof would come down over their heads.

Then, abruptly, it stopped. Shaking died down to distant rumbles, and then the world was quiet again.

Satevis let out a relieved sigh, pushing those bottles he had managed to save towards the back of their shelves. He looked down to see Jansen looking up at him in alarm, surrounded by the wreckage of several broken jars and powders. The Akalak looked almost comical, his skin painted with white powder and the remnants of a salve and one of his arms still wrapped up in Satevis's makeshift splint. Satevis wasn't immediately sure why Jansen was looking at him like that, until he bothered to think about the contents of the jars that were now strewn around them.

Including whether such things might be harmful in high dosage. Or poisonous.

A broken jar, by the ground at his feet. Fumes, drifting upwards. Satevis felt his world start to spin, going black at the edges as he slid to the side, passed out.

~*~*~

He awoke some indeterminate amount of time later, lying on one of the beds in the main section of the Panacea. Two of the beds, he noticed, had fallen over, and the one that he was laying on appeared to have been hastily righted. Satevis ran a hand through his hair, blinking up at the ceiling. Glass shards fell out of his sleeve as he did, catching the light and skittering across his chest. Jansen, he realized, was sitting in a chair next to him, holding a cup of water. Jansen, Satevis thought, was probably the reason why he felt absolutely fine, perhaps even better than he had felt before the collapse.

"Next lesson," Jansen said, handing him the water as he sat up. Satevis noticed that he had managed to get out of the splint. He looked somewhat shaken by the day's events, pun not intended. "The dose makes the poison. Most of the time, what can be helpful to a person in small doses, can be harmful at higher dosages."

"That extract?" Satevis asked, sipping his water.

"It was an extract made from kava roots, among other things," Jansen said. "It's meant to be used as a sedative, but only a few drops at a time."
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Satevis on February 10th, 2018, 5:05 am

Image
"You're not going to teach me how to brew that, are you?" Satevis asked idly, sipping at his water.

Jansen's smile was thin. "Not just yet," he said. "When you can make a perfect salve, we'll discuss it."

"That's fair," Satevis said. He drained the cup. Really, that was what he had been expecting. And the question allowed him to put off thinking of other things. Things like the mess in the lab, and the earthquake that had just happened. Jansen caught his gaze wandering towards the lab's closed door, and he shook his head.

"No," said the Akalak. "I'll handle cleaning up the mess in the lab."

"What would you like me to do?" Satevis asked.

"I'll bring out a healer's kit," said Jansen. "Stay out here and keep an eye out. If there were injured during the earthquake, people will already be bringing them to us."

"Shouldn't we go out and find them?" Satevis asked, looking around. The earth had shaken quite violently. He could imagine that quite a few people had gotten hurt in that. A lot of Sykans lived in tents, or makeshift dwellings. What if one of those dwellings had collapsed?

Jansen, however, shook his head, although he looked sad to do it. "There aren't enough of us, and there isn't enough time," he said. "The settlement is too large for both of us to cover, and if we walk around trying to find people, we'll likely miss those who actually need us. It's better for us to stay put here, and let people bring the injured to one central location."

"Even if it means that some people who might need our help won't be able to get to us in time?" Satevis asked.

Jansen's expression was sad. "There's too few of us," he said. "We can't be everywhere at once."

Unbidden, Satevis's mind turned back to the famine in Zeltiva, five years ago. To the sight of those children, starving. "I know that," he said. "We can't save them all." But we can choose who to save. Never forget. That's the important thing...

"We can help anyone who comes to us," Jansen said. "So. I'm leaving the healer kit out here. Do your best to clean up, and if anyone comes by, call me if it's anything more serious than basic first aid."

Satevis nodded. "I'll do that," he said.

~*~*~

As Jansen went off to clean the lab, Satevis started doing some cleaning of his own. He picked the beds up where they had fallen, and righted the sheets. A part of the railing that ringed the Panacea's open space had come loose, and he couldn't do much to fix it, so he made a mental note of it for when Jansen returned. Thankfully, they didn't keep too much out here, so clean-up was a relatively painless process. His eyes wandered occasionally towards Jansen and Kalum's bungalow--it certainly had to be a mess inside there, although the Akalak was prioritizing the lab and the Panacea for obvious reasons. Satevis thought of his own tent and wondered how it was holding up, but the nice thing about a tent was that it wouldn't be hard to reconstruct.

He settled down to wait for anyone to show up.
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Satevis on February 13th, 2018, 5:33 am

Image
Satevis waited outside the Panacea for a while, drumming his fingers against the railing and watching the path that led up to the building anxiously, looking for anyone who might come in. It was hard to shake the feeling that he needed to be doing something, looking for people who were injured, but he understood Jansen's point. There weren't too many of them, and the settlement was too big to reasonably cover. Satevis regretted the loss, but there wasn't much he could do about it except to help the people who did come in.

He was on the verge of finding a hammer and nail and trying to repair the railing by himself, if only to give him something to do, when he spotted two figures on the road, approaching the Panacea. One of them was supporting another. As Satevis leaped to his feet, the two figures resolved themselves into two human men, one of them supporting the other. As they neared, Satevis recognized them as Stuvantis Alkamar, the proprietor of the Tidepool Bar, and Duncan Maelstrom, the blind Svefra Reimancer that managed the Community Pool. The Svefra was leaning heavily on one leg, hobbling along and keeping the weight off the other. Satevis hurried out to meet them, grabbing Duncan's other arm and slinging it over his shoulder.

"What happened?" Satevis asked, turning towards Stuvantis.

The bartender gave Satevis an easygoing grin, keeping a firm hold of Duncan with his other arm with the steadiness of someone who was used to having to support the occasional unsteady drunk. "Ah, well," he said. "I was at the Pool when the shaking started. I heard a crash from Duncan's place and came in to check on him. One of his shelves fell over and pinned him under it. Nothing serious, but I think he might've twisted his ankle."

"I'm alright," Duncan said, sightless eyes fixed on nothing. "You can put me down, Stuvantis."

"Sure you are, big guy," Stu said, patting Duncan on the back reassuringly. "Sure you are." To Satevis, he said, "The Alavarths are in?"

"Jansen's in the lab dealing with a spill," Satevis said, pausing to help the odd procession up the steps. "The earthquake knocked over quite a few bottles. Not everything that was inside them is safe."

Stu nodded knowingly. "The Tidepool's probably a mess right now," he said. "I'll have to go in and check as soon as we take care of Duncan."

Satevis nodded, leading them towards a bench. He helped Stu lower Duncan into a seat. The Svefra hissed as the ankle of his injured leg touched the ground.

"I'll let Jansen know you're here," he said.

Stu nodded, letting Satevis leave to approach the lab door. He knocked on it sharply, and even though he knew about the Akalak's expertise and healing abilities, he was still relieved to hear Jansen answer from inside.

"What is it?" Jansen asked.

"Duncan Maelstrom is here," Satevis said. "Stuvantis thinks he twisted his ankle."

"Take a look at the ankle for me and tell me what you think," Jansen said. "I'll be right out."
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Satevis on February 15th, 2018, 6:56 am

Image
Satevis left the door to the lab, making his way over to Duncan. Not wanting to startle the man, even though he was at least somewhat certain that Duncan could hear him coming, Satevis reached out and tapped him on the shoulder. Duncan's head swiveled towards him at the touch, sightless eyes turned towards him.

"Jansen is just finishing up some cleaning," Satevis said. "He'll be right out. In the meantime, I'm going to take a look at the ankle, alright? I'll be as gentle as I can."

Duncan nodded. "Do what you need to," he said. "I can take it."

Looking at him, Satevis didn't doubt that, but it wasn't his intention to hurt the Svefra. He was aware, having been studying Jansen's medical notes and texts, that there were times when causing pain was inevitable in the practice of medicine, and given his cringeworthy attempt at splinting earlier, it was entirely possible that this wouldn't be a particularly pleasant experience if Satevis had to treat Duncan's injury himself. But he didn't have to. There was a healer present, and any examination that Satevis performed would be for his own benefit, so that he could learn.

It made him feel guilty, but he understood why they allowed it, in cases like this where the injury wasn't life-threatening. He wasn't just satisfying an academic curiosity here. He was learning, and the more that he could learn of medicine in this safe environment, with Jansen looking over his shoulder and ready to step in, the more capable he would be of handling a situation when the Akalak wasn't there.

His work was important. Satevis was used to asking esoteric questions for the simple joy of learning. He was used to the idea that the things he was curious about were things that mattered only to him. Medicine wasn't like that. If he learned well, he could truly help people, in a way that he couldn't have helped them before.

With newfound reverence, Satevis dropped down to a knee, reaching out and carefully palpating the area around the ankle. Duncan hissed through his teeth, but didn't complain. It didn't feel broken as far as Satevis could tell. Although there was some swelling, everything was where it seemed to be. He frowned, thinking about it, and barely noticed that Jansen was coming up behind him until he heard the Akalak's voice.

"Well?" Jansen asked, drying his hands off on a towel.

"It feels like a sprain," Satevis said, releasing Duncan's ankle and getting back up to his feet.

"And what's the treatment for an ankle sprain?" Jansen asked.

"If it's a mild sprain, wrap the injured joint to compress the injury and prevent unnecessary movement," Satevis said, reciting the words as if he were reading them from one of the journals. "In severe cases, a cast may be necessary. The patient should rest and elevate the injured joint, keeping weight off of it as long as possible. If available, ice can be used to reduce swelling." Not that Syka had much in the way of ice."

"Good," Jansen said, "You're learning."

He knelt down, holding his hand in front of Duncan's injured ankle. The swelling began to go down as the injury healed.
Image

Credit for avatar and signature go to Coltyn
User avatar
Satevis
Player
 
Posts: 352
Words: 259272
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Location: Syka
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Postby Avela on March 24th, 2018, 3:59 am

Image
Satevis

XP Award:
  • Medicine - 3
  • Socialization - 4
  • Observation - 4
  • Herbalism - 1

Lore:
  • Medicine: Making a splint
  • Medicine: The importance of good bedside manner
  • Earthquake in Syka: Winter 517
  • Blacking Out
  • Medicine: The dose makes the poison
  • Herbalism: Kava roots produce a strong sedative
  • Panacea: A central location in case of an emergency
  • Medicine: Identifying and treating a sprained ankle
  • Medicine is important work


Notes:
Self-grade

Template by Sevaan
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
User avatar
Avela
Player
 
Posts: 140
Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Location: Alvadas
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest