Survivability, and what else comes to mind.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Reaver on February 1st, 2011, 2:04 am

Well, I've RPed on a few different (localized) servers, with a variety of different rule-sets and issues, and one I noted here is that the survivability of characters in general seams to be... lacking. Maybe it's that your wiki isn't the easiest to navigate, but in general that seams to be a daunting task. I understand that to some extent that's what your aiming for, but from the new RPer to join here, it does kinda look like you're trying to insure you could kill us of rather swiftly.

Am I getting this feeling right, or is there something I'm missing here?

Also, what ARE people doing to ensure survival through this setting? I've got there are cities, but not much beyond that.

I'll expand on my issues as I feel relevant, but as it stands this one is a key point.
Reaver's CS (Voice: #3355FF Thoughts: #000AAA Hidden: #3D2828)
Reaver
Student Teacher

Words: 212925
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 1:51 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Seven on February 1st, 2011, 2:39 am

People also, to my knowledge, form relationships and bonds and guilds and groups and such to ensure they survive. Like people look out for each other. Money is a good way to ensure you survive as well. Have enough of it and you can buy whatever and whoever you want. Everything has a price, its more what you are willing to pay.

Another way to ensure survival is actually getting wilderness survival skills. Im sure that would be useful to those with mortal needs. Or be sure to have a body on hand in your case. I think that its reasonable to say you do about anything to survive when it comes down to it.

Hope that somewhat answers your question... My noobness is probably showing :p
"The highest praise we can attribute to any writer, painter, sculptor, builder, is, that he actually possessed the thought or feeling with which he has inspired us."
Seven
Spirit of Rage

Words: 13529
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Stitch on February 1st, 2011, 3:00 am

Or just by sticking to those cities, and planning out your trips if you venture outside! The cities are very well protected! We have NEVER actually have anyone die here, I don't think. I honestly have no idea where you are getting that from, though I am in love with this place. So I am a bit biased. <333

You mean IC survival, right?

Or do you mean the fact that we have tons of new members, but not very many stick around? Well, it IS a very different RP experience from what most people are used to. It requires you to read, and sometimes it requires you to ask questions. You have to go out and actively seek RP most of the time, instead of just posting an open topic and expecting people to respond to it.

But, yeah. No one has really died. The wilderness is dangerous, but most people don't travel out there. If they do, then Seven offers several good options! <333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 1st, 2011, 3:11 am

I think I have the most posts of any
mod and probably the highest collective
word count between my mod and pcs.
So that being said in two years Ive
only killed one pc off in thread and
that was at the players request. Thats
not to say I wouldnt if the situation
demanded it - but it hasnt happened
yet.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rage on February 1st, 2011, 4:49 am

I believe there's only been one PC to die in the wilderness and that was only upon his request.

Generally, we do not kill PCs without the players' permissions. Trust me, I mod in one of the more deadly areas in-game and I have yet to kill off anyone's PC. An exception to this is when a player godmods/does not follow rules even after repeated warnings. In which case, some storytellers do kill them off.

Bottomline, we understand the effort people put into their characters and would not kill their PCs off without warrant.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Stitch on February 1st, 2011, 4:53 am

Oof! I am much too optimistic about this world! Let me rephrase! No one has died against their will! I am sure someone eventually will, as I still think this place is kind of new in the RPing world, and not many of our characters are very powerful. There hasn't been much serious PvP combat.

I can't wait to see how it goes when that does come along, though! <333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Trios on February 1st, 2011, 5:09 am

The mods here are not as bloodthirsty for PC's as one would think. In fact just recently in one of my threads my PC told a god to go stuff himself (paraphrasing), and instead of a quick and painfull PC death the mod had the previously mentioned god curse my character while also breaking one of my PC char's leg. It was really fun and entertaing to RP out and I think the mod wasn't trying to purposly kill any PC's in the thread but make it a more enjoyable thread. Its all in good fun so there really isn't no need to be worried about having your character dieing in a instant.

My two cents...
THEME
"Look to the gods then look to your hands, if your going to depend on one go with the one that is attached."
Trios
Bow to nothing, live for everything.

Words: 144086
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 1:03 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Reaver on February 1st, 2011, 6:32 am

Well, those answered my question quite well, each post adding (if only a little) to my quandary. The community not feeling like it is a rather good survival skill, I mainly ask as any character I play is prone to odd mistakes (that he could probably avoid, answered quite well by Trios,) and does give me a comfort blanket in that regard. Thank you for your helpfulness!

Another question, is I noted you didn't like ideas for new races, (from people at my spot in the chain,) but what of characters who simply fall 'outside' the current race system? (Or otherwise don't quite fit like normal characters would.) I happen to be a fan of a rather strange character I tend to play, and try to pick settings his abilities could fall under. (Altered to match as needed.)

I don't mean to say a new race per-se, but not one of your listed (as is.)

His personality is a rather conflicting one, but everyone I RP with tends to get along with him rather well if only for his very strange way of going about his way. I've had one GM comment about him so: "I love Reaver, but I hate you." To say his personal issues with me was wavered on account of my character spoke well to me.

Dependent upon your feedback here, (and how awake I am tomorrow,) I'll probably start a thread in the development section (or wherever appropriate) to determine how well you people would think he'd fit (and how to adjust him to do so.) I'd rather not stick straight with a template.
Reaver's CS (Voice: #3355FF Thoughts: #000AAA Hidden: #3D2828)
Reaver
Student Teacher

Words: 212925
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 1:51 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Siiri on February 1st, 2011, 8:47 am

I know the founders have made it clear that they're not accepting new races for development. We have over 20 after all and not all of them are played enough.

That said, I think pretty much any character can be accepted as long as they work wiki-wise, and by that I mean their existence can be supported and/or justified by the wiki. I've seen some of the weirder character concepts in my time here, from those that don't work/are against the rules (reptile Kelvics, Dhani-Myrian half breed who think they can live in Taloba (actually my creation >.<), Mixed Blood Ghost and your occasional vampire/werewolf/furry) to those that may work but would be kinda hard to play (like a Dhani-Sym Mixed Blood for example...you'll need liquified meat for sustenance; Charoda trying to live in a city where they are considered a delicacy, etc.).

Personally, I like well thought out characters over the super unique ones.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ivan on February 1st, 2011, 8:52 am

If your character is strange as far as races go you must submit your case (as in, why and how he is strange), to the Help Desk forum. simply create a new thread there and the founders will look it over, most likely ask you to change or add onto a few things, and/or approve/tell you a flat out 'no'.

And, adding onto your first question, my Ivan is very likely to die compared to many other PCs. he is a mercenary and thus will be in combat far more often then other players. He is also evil, so the more moralistic characters will likely want to kill him as well. You must consider things like that when you go places. Ivan is going to Ravok, a place that worships the god of chaos. I want ivan blessed by that god. worshipers of that god are generally killed in sylrias, a city of order and goodness. It would be a bad idea for ivan to go there.

Likewise, you should never go into the myrian controlled areas since Nuit are undead. they generally kill your kind in places like black rock because there are many worshipers of Dira, godess of death, there.

TL;DR make friends, but always know where your enemies are.
Beast, Man, Or God, I Know Of Nothing That Survives A Severed Head!

The RechaYomi
Ivan
The Man And The Hammer.

Words: 27113
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2010, 5:53 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal

Next