Completed Freedom

Ren makes a bid for freedom

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 26th, 2018, 3:18 am

Ren had a puzzled look as if she was thinking how it should look like then pointed at the big tent "Like that one only smaller. If you are willing to give me a hand with this I'm willing to share what little food I have on me." She said with a smile.

At a noise behind them she cocked her head slightly seeing the group of young men starting towards them and it wasn't to be helpful either. "Are they friends of yours? If not we are going to be into a fight soon." Look back to the young gentleman helping her. "I hope you can fight... I am now master fighter but I can hold my own if need be."
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Kynier on June 26th, 2018, 12:28 pm

When Ren pointed at the tent it would most likely resemble he gave thoughtful nod. As he gazed at the tent he tried to reverse engineer its structure in his own head. The wooden posts were most likely the first things that needed to be placed. At the offer of food Kynier realized how hungry he was. He returned the smile. There was a single wooden post at was longer than the rest of them. Kynier picked that one up to examine it. There were no holes in it and the surface was rounded and smooth.

A faint noise from behind caught his attention, Ren’s as well apparently. Looking over his shoulder there were four young men approaching them. It was more appropriate to call them older boys. For none of them looked fully developed physically. Each of them were layered in filth and grime. The also had no facial hair which would’ve grown out based on their poor hygiene. In their hands were small clubs or shivs made from wood. Dropping the wooden post to clatter onto the rest Kynier abruptly stood and took a few steps forward, setting himself between the boys and Ren. None of them matched his height and looked thin from starvation.

Slowly Kynier drew his cold iron short sword from the sheath. Deliberately he made a display of the blue tinted steel as he flicked his wrist for small twirl. Then he took a step and held the blade forward parallel with his shoulder. With his eyes lined with steel Kynier spoke just loud enough for the boys to hear his words that he laced with menace. “At least three of you will die here,” he moved his arm slowly to point the tip of his weapon at each of them in turn, “Will that make it worth it?” The boys each looked at each other. Whatever courage they had mustered before was wavering. “Well come one,” he said louder in a goading voice, “don’t you want to see which of you will survive? Ovek can’t protect all of you.” Not waiting for their reaction Kynier slowly stepped forward, keeping his weapon raised the same way.

Through the display of bravado, his heart was racing. He forced his breathing to be slow and quiet when it wanted to be the exact opposite. Regardless of his physical advantage he and the girl were outnumbered and would suffer injuries in a conflict. But being the only one in a fight with a well-crafted weapon counted for something. Like a pack of wolf pups challenging a bear they balked when he came towards them. The youngest looking of them was first to run away. The others looked at each other fearfully. Kynier kept alternating which of them he pointed his weapon at during his slow advance. One by one they turned and ran into the maze of Tent City.

With the last of them gone Kynier lowered his weapon and made his way back to the woman. As he sheathed his weapon he let out a long shaky sigh. Kynier knelt down next to Ren and whispered, “Good thing none of them were older, otherwise that wouldn’t have worked.” Kynier looked at the girl, “I don’t think I got your name.”
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 26th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Ren smiled, "I have to agree I wasn't really looking forward to a fight. I'm called Ren and you are?" She asked holding her hand out to shake his. "I thank you again for your help."

Ren went about helping the young man setting her tent up it didn't take long with the two of them working together. Two chimes later the whole campsite was set up and as promised Ren decided up what she had for a nice little lunch of bread, cheese, some mixed nuts and two smoked Pike fish each with a small cask of non fermented apple cider. "Like I said its not much but I do really appreciate the help." They spent a half a bell or so just visiting with each other.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Kynier on June 27th, 2018, 12:28 am

“My name is Kynier,” he said, though he hesitantly reciprocated the hand gesture. It was something few people in Sunberth did, but he took it as a sign of appreciation. Perhaps even trust. “It is nice to meet you Ren.” From there they focused on setting up the tent. It took a lot less time than he would’ve expected even with two people working on it. Once it was set up Kynier looked at it critically. How someone could survive a winter in a tent like this was beyond his understanding. He hoped that Ren would be able to get herself better accommodations before then.

Ren made good on her promise of food. Kynier helped however he could as she prepared the meal. Mostly he just made sure that the fire kept burning. As her hands went through the process he would glance occasionally at the larger tent that the courier had gone into. Either he had missed when the fellow had left, or there was more significance to the tent than he would’ve anticipated. Just like the tent, the food was ready faster than he would’ve guessed. Fish wasn’t something that he had eaten often. All the times before now seemed like a bitter disappointment. The pike was delicious. Kynier couldn’t imagine eating it every day, but more often would be wonderful.

As he munched on his share of the cheese and bread they talked. Kynier didn’t reveal much about himself to Ren. He did speak of his past and how he had lived in Nyka and Syliras. Omitted were the details of his parent’s fate, or the magical training he received. The most memorable thing he mentioned was how he wanted to make some sort of difference, and that Sunberth seemed to need the most change. So he chose to live here. If she thought of him as a fool he wouldn’t mind. Kynier was surrounded by people that could do with some change to their city.

Eventually the flap to the large tent opened, and the courier stepped out. The man look disheveled as he adjusted his clothes and hair while walking. Kynier gave Ren one last smile. “Thank you for the lunch Ren. I have to get going now. If I see you again I hope you’ll let me treat you to a meal. It won’t be as nice as this was. But I have been getting more familiar with which meals are the best in each tavern.” At that he stood up and bid Ren farewell before following the courier’s footsteps.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Freedom

Postby Kynier on July 22nd, 2018, 2:58 am

Grades!

Ren
Skill Rewards
  • Cooking +1
  • Detection +1
  • Mathematics +1
  • Observation +4
  • Planning +1
  • Socialization +3

Lores Learned
  • Dusti: Is Kelvic
  • Survival: How to set up a tent
  • Kynier: Lived in Nyka and Syliras
  • Kynier: Wants to make a change in Sunberth

Dusti
Skill Rewards
  • Acting +1
  • Observation +1
  • Running +1
  • Socialization +1

Kynier
Skill Rewards
  • Acrobatics +1
  • Detection +2
  • Intimidation +2
  • Observation +4
  • Planning +1
  • Socialization +2

Lores Learned
  • Survival: How to set up a tent
  • Intimidation: Brandishing a weapon
  • Ren: Lives in Tent City

This was a fun thread to be a part of! If you have an questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous