Completed Voices in the mist

Madness awaits a man left alone with the voices in his head

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Voices in the mist

Postby Raeyn on June 11th, 2018, 12:45 pm

60th of Summer 518AV

That evening was like every other. By the crackling fire of the hearth, after a long day of adventures more or less mundane, Raeyn and his twin sister would sit would relax in each other's company. It was simply part of the daily routine.

But as of late he'd been engaging if far fewer conversations. Often Mara would catch him staring into the fire impassively as if looking for someone, contemplating something she could simply not imagine. The more days passed the more closed off he became. For someone like Mara, who was perhaps the only person who really knew what was going on in his head at all times, this behaviour was far more concerning than any of his other capricious ways ,as for the first time in a long time she simply couldn't get though to him. For the first time in 27 years he kept her well and truly in the dark.

There was simply nothing extraordinary about that evening. The frigid mists fell on the city as the sun lowered, blanketing the streets. Milky precipitation lined the edges of the small apartment's windows, obscuring the cobbles below. In the warmth and safety inside Mara went about the business of cooking supper, as she always did, whilst he sat on his bed, eyes in the ceiling, brows furrowed with worry and distraction.

"Will you at least wash the dishes tonight?" she asked, having grown desperate over the past few weeks for at least a shred of conversation from her twin. Any semblance of small talk would do.

He hadn't realised however. In fact he didn't even hear her though the racket inside his head.

The voices started whispering to him earlier on in the season. At first he paid them little attention, thinking he mistook the sound of wind in branches and rain against windows for words. They would catch him off guard sometimes, thinking he would overhear odd conversations in the crowds of Lhavit. Soon enough however they got louder and even when he was along he would hear people talking, telling him things... unthinkable things.

As a man of logic Raeyn did his best to rationalise it all away. But when the excuse of sickness, dreams and even spiritual possession failed to explain his condition which only intensified, he had found himself paranoid beyond belief. He wouldn't say a word to his sister, nor his professors nor even the parents who he held in such high regard for fear of admitting the terrible things in his head. Fear of admitting that he was loosing his mind and that there were inexplicable voices in his head telling him to kill all that he held so dear.
Last edited by Raeyn on August 7th, 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Words: 310107
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Voices in the mist

Postby Raeyn on June 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm

"Isn't she so wonderful? You're so lucky to have such a lovely sister. Wouldn't it be so very lovely to see her bleed out, covered in blood as red as her hair? Wouldn't it be lovely to make her pay for every time she embarrassed you?"

That night the auditory hallucinations were worse than they'd ever been before. By the skin of his fingertips, Raeyn held to the scraps of his sanity. He didn't wan to entertain that thought, trying his best to banish it and ground himself in reality one more. Breathing in and out, he closed his eyes and imagined roots flowing from his feet and into the ground. Any thought but the voices, no matter how ridiculous, would suffice as long as he just had something to focus on. Some semblance of peace to allow his breath to relax him and drown out the sound of whispers.

They were louder than his breath. Louder even than the sound of crackling flames and boiling pots. It was as if they were right neck to his ear. None of the voices was familiar nor could they really be picked out from the crows of murmurs and muffled giggles. Tormentors, they enjoyed every waking moment of his agony, twisting and shifting his reality into something even he could not quite believe in.

It was as if they knew exactly how to dig up his deepest, darkest thoughts and present them to him on a silver platter. Not a corner of his mind was left private anymore. Not a thought could be banished far enough to remain hidden from sight.

"If she was dead no man could ever lay their eyes on her again. Just imagine never having to deal with her useless gentlemen friends again. She'd be safe when she's dead."

The thought alone brought tears to his eyes and a faint "No!" escaped his lips and he buried his head under pillows. He was truly loosing his mind.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Voices in the mist

Postby Raeyn on June 11th, 2018, 1:48 pm

A familiar hand wound around his shoulder as Mara's voice broke though the tidal wave of whispers. "Rae-Rae! What's wrong? Hey! What happened?"

He looked up at her with reddened eyes, abruptly pulled back to reality. Confused and disoriented Raeyn pushed her away, doing his best to pull back the puzzle pieces of his fractured composure. His head spun as he tried making sense of it all. "I'm fine. Leave me alone." he whispered.

But she would not have it. "You know you can tell me anything. You're clearly not..."

"I'm fine!" he screamed. So rarely did such anger come out of his that Mara was taken aback, lost for words. Her mind couldn't fathom the reason for the mad outburst. Could it have been anything she'd done?

"I can't help if you don't talk to me."

"Good, for your help is not needed." Raeyn hissed though his teeth. His intention was far from the cruelty he displayed but now that the fires of his temper had been lit, he didn't know how to stop. Even the disembodied whispers took a back seat to the tantrum. "Just leave me be and butt out of business that isn't yours."

Mara's fists clenched. She was so angry and confuse she wanted to slap him silly and perhaps she would have done if she had any hope for it being helpful. Alas the situation had far outgrown her. She was looking at the face of her brother but the man speaking to her she could hardly recognise.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Voices in the mist

Postby Raeyn on June 11th, 2018, 2:04 pm

That night Mara packed her belongings, took the dog with her and left, leaving him well and truly alone with his hallucinations. And perhaps it was the worst thing she could have done for without a buffer there was little to maintain Raeyn's hold on reality.

Raeyn would excuse his behaviour in days following. He'd convince himself that it was all for the best for he could not be certain if she was even safe around him anymore. For as long as he didn't have an answer as to why the inside of his head felt like there were crowds imprisoned in it, he wouldn't trust anybody and most certainly not himself. The skin which seemed to be the only true place of piece for him for so many years, was now a prison and he wished for nothing more than to escape it.

For a mage who was already tampering with forces far beyond himself on the daily basis. A man who faced all the dangers accosted with his craft, loosing himself was his greatest fear. And whilst he was certain that one day he would have to battle the self destruction he invited every time he activated an alchemist circle; never once had he imagined facing such trials and tribulations at such a young age.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Voices in the mist

Postby Luminescence on June 12th, 2018, 5:50 pm

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
YOUR GRADES HAVE BEEN GIFTED
ENJOY!
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Raeyn

Skills
✦Observation +1
✦Meditation +1
✦Intimidation +1
✦Logic +1

Lores
✦Lore of Raeyn and Mara's routine
✦Raeyn: A logical person
✦Raeyn: Hearing voices
✦The voices: No thought is safe
✦The voices: Want Raeyn to kill Mara
✦Mara: Just wants to help
✦Raeyn: Fears insanity
✦Raeyn: Greatest fear coming to life

Notes
This was short and not much happened, so unfortunately I couldn't give you much. That being said, I actually really enjoyed reading this; it's interesting to see how Raeyn is reacting to the voices, and I'm looking forward to watching this develop and how it will affect his mental state and his relationship with Mara!

As always, please don't forget to edit or delete your grading request in the queue! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grades, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM; I'll do what I can to fix whatever the issue may be!

Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)