[Stone Gardens] Thinking of Family (Kendall)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on April 4th, 2011, 2:17 pm

"It does take a very special and devoted person to become a Knight," Jaelyn agreed with Kendall, "The Knights are some of the greatest and most selfless people I have ever heard of," a slightly proud and warm smile touched her lips as she thought of Raynard and her Father, some of the greatest men she knew, and all the many others like them in the Knighthood, "But I am not a Knight yet. I still have much to learn and perfect before I can even attempt to earn that title."

When Kendall mentioned that there was something interesting about everyone Jaelyn gave a soft smile and asked, "Might I ask then, what is interesting about you? Other than your exceedingly great kindness that is," there was no playfulness to her words as you might expect from someone saying such things, but a simple sincerity. From what she had seen of Kendall so far he was not only an incredibly handsome man, but equally kind in his actions.

At Kendall's question she brought a hand up to touch her chin and lip thoughtfully as she went over the Knights and squires that she knew. After a few moments of thought she hesitantly answered, "I do not know him personally, but I do know of a squire named Markus, and I think his family name was Andres or something similar," she dropped her hand back down as she smiled again at Kendall, "If you would like I could inquire after him after I return to the barracks."

She knew it was hardly proper compensation for her rude behavior earlier, but at least it was a step in the right direction. She had to make amends for what she had done, not only for the sake of treating Kendall as he deserved, but also to make sure she learned this lesson well and properly. No matter what she felt she could not judge someone simply by their associations or ties to a location.
Jaelyn Baroth
Alt of Alenias, Devoted Squire

Words: 144214
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 9th, 2011, 3:54 am

Kendall smiled as Jaelyn talked about the knights. He admired the pride in her voice. It reminded him a lot of his pride in Zeltiva. If he felt comfortable about sharing his roots he was sure that he would have boasted about the sailors and scholars of his home. They were much different than the knights. That much was very certain. They were the pride of Zeltiva, much like the knights were the pride of Syliras.

A small blush rushed across Kendall's cheeks when Jaelyn asked what was interesting about him. There were some interesting things about him but he did not want to share them. He was marked by Ivak, that was definately interesting. Many people were a bit afraid of Azenth though. He had a long list of interesting facts but if Jaelyn knew them he would never be able to show his face in Syliras again. Instead he decided to go with something simple. Something that would keep him from trouble. "Well... I am good at poetry." He gave her a forced smile. "And really, don't worry about thanking me. Being kind is nothing too special. I mean it is important but it is something everyone should do."

So Markus was still alive and he was a squire. That was good to hear. "You do not need to ask about him for me. I'm sure he wouldn't recognize me if we saw each other again anyway. It's been a while since we last talked." He was a bit worried about seeing Markus. He really wanted to but how could he explain what happened to him? "Thank you for the offer though." He almost wanted to ask the girl to try and help him find Markus but he was not sure if he was ready to meet his childhood friend again after all of these years.

"So, if it is not too big of a secret, what is it like trying to become a knight?" He could not help wondering about it. There were so many knights keeping the city safe but how did they get to be in their position? "I imagine it would be a bit difficult. I mean they have to make sure you are tough enough to defend the city." He pondered on that thought. There must have been some way where they tested the would-be knight's mental fortitude as well. "Do they test your morals and values as well?" He had a lot of questions but he would not be offended if Jaelyn turned them down. If they were secrets only the knights were to know then he was much more comfortable leaving them to the knights.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on April 11th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Jaelyn quirked an eyebrow slightly as she saw Kendall blush. Had she said something embarrassing? She sincerely hoped not. She'd already made a fool of herself in front of him and she certainly didn't want to do more. Maybe he was just shy? That didn't seem likely with how friendly he had been in coming up and talking to her.

"That is very interesting, and impressive," Jaelyn said with a soft smile, "I have never been very good with words myself, but I do enjoy listening to what others who are more creative make. If you do not mind, maybe you could share some of your work with me?"

When Kendall said she did not have to ask after Markus she simply nodded. She was a little curious as to the reason why Kendall didn't want to see his friend, but it wasn't her place to pry. So she simply moved on to his question with a smile, "There is not really any secret in what it takes to become a Knight, anyone can see what we do. It is usually a long and devoted process to become a Knight. Myself I have been training and learning for almost seven years, and I have a little over a year until I might be able to join the Knights," she paused a moment at Kendall's other question, but then continued with a soft smile, "Squires like me are assigned to a patron Knight, who trains us and watches over our actions to make sure we will be proper Knights. There is also a quest each Squire must undertake before they can become a full Knight."
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 30th, 2011, 6:16 pm

A small smile appeared on Kendall's lips. "I guess I could. I get a bit nervous making poems up on the spot but I'll try." He thought over what he could make into a poem. He felt like he should make one about knights and syliras but he still did not know much about the city besides what he had heard from his father. Maybe a more neutral topic would be better. Nature was always a good starting point. People found that beautiful right?

"I've been traveling far and wide
Trying to find the ending point for me
Although it seems at times
I don't know if I stand on land or sea
I've seen the elk run rapid
From the wolven claw and bite
I've heard the roar of the mountain beasts
From within the dead of night
Although of all the sites I've seen
And all the worlds through which I roam
There will never be anything more beautiful
Than the sights and sounds of my home"

With another blush Kendall smiled at Jaelyn. He was not used to making up poetry on the spot. He trusted the girl would not be too hard on him though. She seemed kind. Like the kind of person who would say his poetry with beautiful even when it wasn't. He knew he was not the best. There were many who were much better. He just wanted to be good. He wanted his words to create emotion. He had no drive to be world famous. "And that is it... I guess..." He was too scared to ask Jaelyn if she liked the poem. He had become so self-concious of his words lately.

With the conversation back on Jaelyn Kendall smiled. The whole world of the knights seemed quite interesting. Kendall could never see himself in their position. He was far too easily scared and he could barely use his sword. "Wow, that sounds really interesting. You must be really decicated. I suppose the longer it takes to acheive your goals the greater it feels when you finally do I suppose." He tried to find the silver lining in the subject. Spending a good portion of his life at the university he knew how it was to work and work toward a goal. Of course, that was more on an educational level, not a physical or ranking level. "What is the quest like?"
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on May 1st, 2011, 5:38 am

Silently Jaelyn listened to the poem Kendall recited, a soft smile on her lips the whole time. It was very nice, and made her think of a Knight. Not a particular one she knew, but one who served hard and far from Syliras, and was finally returning to the home she worked so hard to defend.

As Kendall finished Jaelyn's smile grew, and then her eyes widened as she realized just what he had said before, "You mean... You just created that poem, right now? That is amazing," she was truly impressed, and it showed on her face.

Kendall's compliment caused a little flutter in Jaelyn's stomach, and she felt her cheeks heat slightly, "Thank you... I... I have something very important to me I hope to achieve by becoming a Knight," she gave a fond smile at the thought of her Father, "As for the quest it varies from Squire to Squire. Everyone is given something important to do. No one knows what their Quest will be before, and so we all must prepare for almost anything."
Last edited by Jaelyn Baroth on May 18th, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on May 18th, 2011, 6:33 pm

A bright blush spread across Kendall's cheeks. It was just some random words thrown together. They were not that amazing were they? He was so used to just making up random poems like that. He was such an awkward person that his poetry had become his way to break the ice. "Yes I did. Thank you very much." A smile formed on his lips. He did not want to seem like a child for smiling about a little compliment but he could not help but be proud. Just like artists liked people to admire their paintings and drawings, he liked people to admire his writing. "I hope to keep getting better. It is my passion"

"That sounds very interesting. I hope you get to become a knight. We should all be what she want to be." It was a strange comment. It would have made sense if Jaelyn knew the person who really dwelt in the depths of Kendall. He looked at her with a small smile. He hated to leave so abruptly but he needed to find Cathan before it got too late. He was a bit scared to be without the Kelvic man. They had been companions for so long that at times he felt exposed when he was not around. "It was really great to meet you Jaelyn but I need to find my friend before it gets too late. I think he is out hunting. I'm happy I got to meet someone as kind as you so early in my stay here." He was a bit scared to admit it was he was scared that someone would have tried to take advantage of him in the streets. Men were supposed to be more brave. "I hope we meet each other again some day. I really enjoyed talking to you."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on May 18th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Jaelyn couldn't help but stare in awe at Kendall's blush and smile. There was just something so... soft about him that she had never seen in any other man before. Only after he spoke again did she manage to finally move again, smiling warmly up at the man as she offered, "I am sure you will be amazing at it Kendall. You are already much better than I could ever hope to be."

If Jaelyn had been less distracted she might have noticed the strangeness of Kendall's comment, but it barely even registered to her. How could she possibly even suspect about Kendall's past? So she simply continued to smile and nodded in agreement, "Yes, we should all work towards what we want. Good luck finding your friend."

Smiling and waving as Kendall left Jaelyn silently mirrored his wish that they would meet again someday. To be honest, she would be happy if they met every day, but realizing what she was thinking she shook her head quickly. As handsome, sweet, and talented as Kendall may be she still had to keep her focus on her training. She still had so much to learn before her Quest, and Kendall had said he was leaving for Ravok soon anyways. Maybe it would be best if they didn't meet again... but even thinking that Jaelyn's heart yearned for Kendall like she had never felt towards anyone else before.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Templar on June 30th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Jaelyn: Observation: 3 – Rhetorics: 5
Lore:

Kendall: Observation: 3 – Rhetorics: 5 – Poetry: 4
Lore: Life of a squire -

Additional notes: A purely social thread, so purely social points and not much going on. But! If you feel like I missed something, feel free to PM me!
Derp.
Templar
The Templar Knight!

Words: 23533
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2011, 11:14 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous