Solo Back to Existing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Back to Existing

Postby Kynier on September 6th, 2018, 3:15 am

71st of Fall, 518 A.V.

There was no longer any time to complete it, at least to what he had originally envisioned it to be. It truthfully didn’t matter when he thought about it. It wouldn’t make a difference if the room was twice as large as it was or half of what he had managed to get. Kynier had brought all the things he was going to place inside out of hiding and was placing them around the room. The altar itself was set in the middle, then the banner hung on the wall behind it. The rug was sprawled out on the ground and the new wardrobe was placed by the entrance. Last things that he put up were the idol of Akajia on the altar and the picture that he made, and had framed, on the left wall.

Once that was done, he stood in front of the altar. The room was dimly lit by the sconce next to the entrance. Shadows were gathered around the idol and circled in a slow rotation at its base. Kynier lowered his head in reverence and spoke softly in Makath. “I’m sorry, Goddess of Night. I will continue to serve and do your will as I can. But it will no longer be from here.” The shadows that usually never ended with their chittering fell silent and watched him turn and leave the new sacred place of their mother.

Stepping into the training room, the secret door came to a silent close behind him. A shield to nullify sound wrapped around the stone so that the door could be discretely opened or closed, even in haste. When it was shut, Kynier took a piece of chalk and marked a circle on the stone segment one needed to press on to reveal the secret path. Then he stepped away and made his way up to the master suite. All his possessions were already packed into his backpack of voiding, which lay on the floor next to the large chest. It was the only thing of his that couldn’t fit in the pack, but it sat empty. Kynier reached into the pack and thought about a letter he had written before packing everything away, and it materialized in the pack. Her name was written on the folded letter, not the affectionate name he used, but “Kelski”.

I am sorry Kelski. You deserve more than a letter that explains why I’m leaving. But you deserve someone better than me. At the Midnight Gem, I experienced living a happy life, but the cost was placed on everyone except me. I have done nothing to make life at the Gem better, for your, or any of the others. All I’ve brought is worry and conflict. I’m leaving and taking my problems elsewhere, so that they no longer affect you. We were mates, and no matter how much joy we derived from that, we both wanted something more. Something that no longer feels within our reach.

I hope you find someone that is truly deserving of being your bondmate. That gives more to you, freely, than what you give to others. But that’s not me. It has taken me too long to realize that I have nothing to give.

There is only one last thing you need to know, Kelski. Once, you had mentioned that the Midnight Gem was keeping a secret from you on my behalf. Go down to the training room, turn left, and look at the wall under that stairs. A small section of the wall will be marked with chalk. Press it inward and a secret door will open. I was building something and wanted to surprise you. I asked the Midnight Gem to help keep it secret until the project was over. Now it is.

As a Nightstalker, I will be there for you when you need me.

~Kynier

Kynier left the note on top of her pillow along with his key to the Midnight Gem. He wandered down to the store front with his pack on his back and the empty chest in his hands. He bid Ebon farewell before stepping out into the street. Kynier gazed up at the sign that hung over the door, feeling a tightness in his chest. When he forced himself to look away and made his feet begin to work, he felt numb inside. And he embraced it.

Credit for the boxcode goes to Luminescence!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Back to Existing

Postby Kynier on December 28th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Kynier walked out of the Song’s Rest, still carrying his pack but now had his hands free of the large chest. He had left it in the room that he planned to live out of until a more permanent housing solution could be found. That’s what his most immediate objective was. Kynier went over to Goldfinger’s Loan Agency to inquire about purchasing a property. Something not in Baroque Bay, nor the Sunset Quarters. Riverside was also out of the question. That was Night Eye territory, and they were pursuing clues that would lead directly to him. With those parameters, it should be fairly simple finding a place.

It seemed that he had a real lack of understanding the real estate dynamics of the city. Sure, there were plenty of properties available in the areas that he was willing to live in. The problem was that most of them were barely standing or require extensive repair. The assistant that was helping him took him to places all over the city, but none of the places he saw spoke to him. After the last of the properties had been crossed off the list of potential places, the assistant changed tactics. They suggested that he purchase some land and commission a new structure to be built. One to his liking.

The prospect sounded expensive, and a loan was something he was trying to avoid taking in order to have a place to live. Kynier and the assistant went back to the Agency and looked up all the vacant lots that were available for sale. A reference list for building contractors was also made for him to reach out to. Ultimately, he decided upon a lot in the Seaside Market that had some riverfront property. The land itself wasn’t grand, but it allowed some separation from the surrounding buildings. Being completely surrounded like he had been in the Sunset Quarters was not idea, but he didn’t want to be in a grand location that would draw attention to himself either.

The latter wasn’t going to be an issue. Kynier discovered that when speaking to the contractors and getting their price estimates. He was grateful that he managed to find employment that pays as well as it does, and that he had uncovered a couple of hidden collections of wealth in his endeavors. It was enough to cover getting essentials. A few rooms, a decent bath chamber, and a kitchen. All in a single-story structure. They would try to find a well for a fresh water supply but couldn’t guarantee it. When the agreements had been made, it required a good portion of his monetary resources. In the years that followed, he could set something aside for expansions if he wanted.

Then they stated that it wouldn’t be completed until late in the Winter. Kynier was not upset by that. He’d rather that they take a little longer and make a well-built home rather than quickly for a less than desirable place. They requested the funding right away. Kynier bought the land from the Agency all at once, to avoid any conflict between the Agency and the contractors. As for the funding of the building project, Kynier refused to pay them all at once. He would only provide a down payment and check in every tenday on the progress and provide another payment. That was to avoid paying for more than they needed, as well as paying them a large sum to only be told later that they required more. With this set up, he’ll be paying as they go for what they needed. And could refuse payment if no progress seemed to be made. Sunberth was rife with the opportunity to scam people with empty words, and Kynier wouldn’t put it past a business’s success to have done such a thing from time to time.

Ledger Changes :
New Home
    Master Bedroom Simple (800)
    Kitchen Simple (800)
    2 Common Area Simple (500)
    1 Acre of City Land (1,000)
    Stone Patio Elaborate (500)
3,600 -25% (bundle) = 2,700 gm

Credit for the boxcode goes to Luminescence!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)