Event By the Light of the Moon

Chiona is discovered after having killed an Eth.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

By the Light of the Moon

Postby Luminescence on March 6th, 2019, 2:56 am

A small smile curved Zintila's mouth at Madeira's decidedly polite but barely stilted returned greeting; the girl was familiar with politics, it seemed. That suited the Alvina just fine. It could very well be useful down the line, but only time would tell.

She made note of the way Madeira commanded the man, Allister, even without words; and how he, in return, doted upon her without a thought, disinterested in anything else, putting himself between her and the most obvious sign of potential danger. What devotion, she thought, almost wryly; she had only ever seen such behaviour in Kelvic bondmates before, and she was almost certain such was the situation with the strange duo before her.

Madeira's next words, a sort of plea, confirmed this. "Ghosts and Kelvics? What an interesting family dynamic," Zintila commented. The words could perhaps be taken as snide, but her tone seemed genuine enough, and it was impossible to read her face, her sparkling eyes remaining entirely neutral.

"Did you go to see the artifact on display on the bottom floor of the Twuele, earlier this season?" Zintila continued, disregarding the answer either way. "If you, nor any member of your family, have not done so, then you are as safe as you can be. However I cannot promise that you will remain entirely unaffected, as there are many things here outside even my control."

At her accusation, Aysel visibly bristled, but Talora beside him put a calming hand on his arm; his silver eyes glared at Madeira, shining with irritation, but he remained silent. Zintila arched a brow. "It is not Aysel's place to give answers with such a matter. You may feel slighted but I assure you, with the exception of the few I hold in close confidence, anybody else would have been treated the same."

Suddenly, Chiona threw her head back and let out a high-pitched, bloodcurdling scream, followed by shrill, chilling laughter; the scream caused everyone but Zintila to jump. Even Lheili flinched back before edging close again, hushing the deranged woman, pleading with her quietly as she stroked at her dirty, matted hair.

Just then, the opening of the doors announced a new presence; a pale woman with silvery hair and piercing crimson eyes entered. The heels of her shoes clicked on the floor as she nodded briskly to Zintila, striding with purpose over to where Lheili and Chiona sat, holding a small silver platter with several medical supplies.

She pulled up a chair beside Lheili, murmuring quietly. Zintila watched, idly, as the doctor injected something into Chiona's arm. The woman screeched again as the needle pierced her skin, thrashing about, before falling quiet, the only sound her harsh breathing. "That should sedate her for awhile," The woman spoke briskly into the silence.

"Thank you, Doctor Alessia," Zintila nodded. "Please, if you would, I do request that you stay in case we are in further need of your skills." The woman, Alessia, simply nodded, and moved away from the table to give the other two women there some privacy.

"Where was I," Zintila said, turning back to face her two guests. "Ah, yes. From the beginning, you say? Very well."

"Several seasons ago, in the spring, there was a meteor shower. These are not uncommon here, however they are always valued; we do our best to collect the fragments of these meteors, for they are useful in constructing skyglass." Zintila waved a hand around vaguely, motioning to the many crystalline pieces of decor and furniture in the room.

"Some of my Constellations went into the Unforgiving to collect them. Not all of them returned. Those that did were injured and seemed dazed, so a search party was sent to see if it was possible to find at least the bodies of those who were missing. Talora accompanied them." The Alvina glanced over at the blonde woman purposefully, and Talora cleared her throat.

"We didn't find the bodies, but we found where the meteors landed. There was..." She hesitated, then continued. "There was blood everywhere. The ground was all torn up. Broken branches...something vicious attacked them. Maybe more than one something. While we were looking around, we found what must have once been a building."

"It was very, very old...perhaps even preceding the construction of Lhavit. Discussion with some others leads me to believe it had been shielded, but someone or something broke it when the original party discovered the area. Inside there was an artifact. I...we decided it was best if it was brought back to the city."

Talora fell silent, glancing away; guilt weighed heavily on her. She wondered if she had never brought the skull back to Lhavit if these things would never have happened; or perhaps it had been too late once the shield had been broken.

Zintila nodded, then continued the story. "Not long after, a strange and heavy fog enveloped the city and surrounding area. It was a strange thing indeed. We still aren't certain what exactly it was, but we believe it somehow had traces of wild djed within it. That season was a catastrophe. Anyone who used any sort of magic found themselves experiencing strange symptoms and side effects. They weren't always bad, but more often than not they were."

"The fog lasted the entire season of summer. That season also brought with it a large amount of Zith attacks. Only this very season, near the beginning of autumn, did the fog finally disappear once we destroyed the artifact. However it seems its adverse affects have not left us just yet."

Zintila considered for a long moment. "The artifact was a maledicted skull of a monster. The Unforgiving is known for pools and pockets of wild djed; my theory is that the skull somehow interacted with such a pool, which amplified its effects. Have you ever heard of a Journeyman?"

She gave a slight pause before explaining further. "They are vicious monsters who can take on many different forms; the only constant is they have no mouth. When they hunt, they become obsessed with their prey. It's not clear how they choose their prey, but once they do, they stalk it for as long as they think they need to in order to understand it. They observe, and stalk, and then they kill. Viciously. And they observe the insides."

Very pointedly, Zintila's gaze drifted over to Chiona, who was now slumped over, in a deep, medicated sleep. She let Allister and Madeira take in all of the information she had just given them. "Sound familiar?" She finally asked, looking back at them.

"Chiona is the only one who has behaved in such a way thus far. I know she observed the skull...however, many others have as well. It's impossible to say if others will act like she has tonight, but I have a sneaking suspicion she was simply too curious, and handled the object with her bare hands when there was a lapse in attention; that is why she was affected so strongly. Still, the Shinya are on high alert, and have several times their usual numbers patrolling the city."

Zintila let out a sigh, briefly rubbing her fingertips over her cheekbone, the only sign of stress or worry she had given away thus far. Even that action was brief and almost unnoticeable before she once again was entirely focused on the two in front of her.

"While we had our suspicions, nothing lead us to believe this would be the outcome. Chiona has been acting strange, but not murderous and insane. Lheili awoke to find Chiona gone, and knowing she had been acting strangely, was concerned. Rightfully so, it seems."

"But now it's my turn; I've fulfilled my end of the bargain. If you have any more questions, Miss Craven, I ask that you hold them for later. Aysel has told me all that you told him, so I won't force you to repeat yourself. But I will ask; you are quite sure it was only Chiona in the park? There was nobody else? If there are others who pose a risk, I need to know."

"Otherwise, it is our hope that Chiona will recover from this and be able to return to her position at the Tower. She, of course, cannot be held responsible for her actions tonight, as she was not in her sane mind, so she will not be punished. That being said, Madeira, you say you work with her. You're an outsider; you are not biased, and while I imagine you do have your own agenda and goals, I doubt you are blindly loyal to the tower which employs you."

"That being said, I have a favour to ask of you." Zintila beckoned Madeira closer; Lheili was not paying attention to the conversation, but what the Alvina had was for the spiritist's ears only. She had no doubts that the information would be relayed to her bondmate, but such was the nature of that beast.

Once Madeira moved closer, Zintila leaned in to speak quietly in her ear; her breath was cool and pleasantly tingly as it ghosted along the outer shell of Madeira's ear. "Keep an eye on Chiona moving forward; I want to be absolutely certain this does not happen again. If you have concerns or doubts, if you think she is acting strangely or may harm someone again, come here and request to see Aysel or Talora immediately. I may have more favours to ask of you in the future, but this will do for now."

The favour, most likely, would seem absurdly simple to Madeira; all of that information, just to keep an eye on a mad woman to make sure she didn't go insane again? The Alvina, of course, had her reasons. If the spiritist could prove herself in this simple task, then indeed Zintila may have use of her in the future; and she would be owed that use due to all the information she had just given to Madeira so freely. To be in the presence of divinity could be both a blessing and a curse.

Zintila was always suspicious of the Towers and their members; they were by their very nature, selfish and power-hungry. They had already had one Day of Discord, and the Alvina did not want another. If Madeira proved useful, as an outsider with no personal allegiance to the Tower, Zintila could very well make use of her to keep an eye on the going-ons of all the Dusk Tower members...but that would have to wait. One thing at a time.

"Do you have any further questions? If not, I believe it high time the two of you got some rest. You have had quite the exciting night, and I'm sure you have much information to think over." Zintila spoke gently; if Madeira had more questions, she would answer them patiently. If not, she would nod, and thank them for their time.

OOC :
This thread is just about wrapped up; probably one more round of posts and that's it. :)
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

By the Light of the Moon

Postby Madeira Dusk on March 7th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Madeira's head was spinning. Malediction and monsters, wild dijed, a mysterious fog and missing bodies. Zintila was forthcoming in a way Aysel seemed incapable of, and spoke with a cool candor that rang with the truth of all she said. She felt like those gold eyes were watching every move they made, judging their reactions as the whole story was unfolded in front of them.

The Spiritist flinched at Chiona's scream, but willed herself to mirror the Alvina's equanimity. She steadied her nervous eyes and focused on the fallen goddess, absorbing every scrap of information the woman was willing to let her have. Hidden under the table, in the plush folds of her skirt, Madeira's true feelings were showing as she wrung Allister's fingers raw. The bond was alight with that secret communication of bondmates; emotions from the volatile kelvic and analytical human, perspective from the former slave and the former noble, all meeting in the middle to give them both an insight neither could attain on their own. They made for strange partners, people supposed. But they could never know just how perfectly these polar opposites fit together without overlapping. Sitting in front of the former goddess, listening to all she had to say, the two partners were one complete person.

A journeyman skull... What kind of malediction could be so powerful to harness that kind of power? To turn an altogether normal woman into... that? Her eyes flicked to the sedated Chiona and away again. She knew of journeymen, of course. But they were monsters of myth and bedtime stories, the kind children used to frighten their peers in the dark. She had never seen one, and indeed knew no one who had. She supposed now she knew why. The bigger story was why that kind of legendary malediction was found in the woods, near a hidden building older than Lhavit. And what killed the rest of the recovery team? It seemed there was still something in the woods.

The explanation came to a close, and it was all Madeira hoped it would be. She felt better informed than the rest of Lhavit, and while there was no way the Alvina had divulged everything, Madeira was willing to be thankful for eating the scraps from their table. At least until she had amassed her own influence, and could join their feast properly.

"No, there was nobody else in the park but for the people here in this room, the Shinya woman, and that human male who slipped away", Madeira answered Zintila's question confidently. Surely, if there was someone else there Allister would have sniffed them out.

But now came time to pay for her indulgence.

The Alvina spoke succinctly about loyalty and bias, as a preface for the expected favour she was owed, and beckoned Madeira closer. Madeira shared a pregnant look with Allister and got heavily to her feet, circling around the table she stood toe-to-toe in the divine presence of the Star Lady. She was even more overwhelming up close, speckled with stars and those burning gold eyes. Her breath on her ear was strangely cold.

"Keep an eye on Chiona moving forward", she asked. "I want to be absolutely certain this does not happen again." That was all. For now.

That was all? Confused, Madeira sifted through the words, tacking on the context of the woman's secretive behavior and that preface peppered with words like 'bias', 'agenda' and 'loyalty. With it she came to a shaky conclusion. Did the Star Lady wanted her to spy on the Dusk's?

She rolled the thought around for a moment, and found she didn't mind how it tasted. Zintila was right, she had no loyalty to the Dusk's. They were her employment, nothing more. She was all but sold to them, and in return she had a tenuous fingerhold to the kind of power she someday wished to achieve. But... She glanced out the tall window over the goddess' shoulder, to the city far below twinkling with a thousand sparkling lights that mirrored the night sky above. Was it better to be the pet of a noble or the pawn of a ruler? It didn't matter, she supposed. She owed Zintila this favour and more, and the woman did not give her the chance to refuse, even if she had wanted to.

"Yes, of course, your grace", she nodded, her voice hushed and her face grave to demonstrate how seriously she took this simple task. "I need to do all I can to keep my new home safe." And useful things are not often cast aside, the bitter memory of her misstep with her family burned bright. I plan to be useful to you, Star Lady. "We have no further questions, my Lady. Thank you for your honesty. We'll keep this to ourselves, I promise you." She unconsciously lumped Allister in with her 'we', as it never even occurred to her to keep this secret from her bondmate.

She curtsied to the room at large, acknowledging the assembled guests one at a time but keeping her eyes averted respectfully from the wreck of a woman still tied to the chair, and the lover that hovered anxiously over her. With that she beckoned Allister to her and left so that the goddess and her court could discuss the strange bonded pair in privacy.

Almost as soon as they were out of earshot Madeira quietly relayed what Zintila had asked of her, and her suspicions on the matter. Between that and the murder and the story of what had happened the season before... It was overwhelming, to say the least. She held tight to Allister all the way home, peering into every shadow, thinking she saw the mouthless monster of her childhood under every bush. Yet even then she could help but wonder, what does the Star Lady want of us?

OOC :
Thanks for the quest, Lumi! This has been fabulous. Lots to unpack for our characters. :D
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

By the Light of the Moon

Postby Luminescence on March 20th, 2019, 8:19 pm

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
YOUR GRADES HAVE BEEN GIFTED
ENJOY!
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Allister

Skills
✦Singing +1
✦Observation +3
✦Endurance +1
✦Massage +1
✦Logic +1

Lores
✦Madeira: Radiant in pregnancy
✦Singing: Conveying emotion in tone of voice
✦Location: Alheas Park
✦Chiona Dusk: Murdered an Ethaefal
✦People: Aysel, a Lethaefal
✦Lhavit: Strange and terrible happenings
✦People: Zach Grasswind
✦Shinya: Lhavit's guards
✦Aysel: Helps run Lhavit
✦Ethaefal: Turn to dust when they die
✦Location: The Twuele
✦Madeira: Filters information for Allister
✦Lhavit: Paradoxical, both inviting yet confusing
✦The Twuele: Has lots of floors
✦Aysel: A bit of an asshole
✦Endurance: Climbing stairs...and more stairs
✦Massage: Kneading knots in muscle
✦Zintila: Alvina of the Stars
✦Zintila: Leader and ruler of Lhavit
✦Allister: Not so unlike Aysel
✦Lheili: Chiona's lover
✦People: Doctor Alessia
✦Meteors: Used to make skyglass
✦Lore of the Constellations expedition of spring 518
✦People: Talora
✦Talora: Helps run Lhavit
✦Lhavit: Was plagued by a strange fog
✦The Unforgiving: Known for pools of wild djed
✦Lore of artifact found in the Unforgiving, the maledicted skull of a monster
✦Journeyman: A vicious, mouthless monster
✦Chiona: Interacted with the artifact
✦Chiona: Can't be held responsible
✦Zintila: Wants Madeira to keep an eye on Chiona

Madeira Craven

Skills
✦Leadership +1
✦Medicine +1
✦Investigation +2
✦Rhetoric +3
✦Interrogation +1
✦Endurance +2
✦Acting +1
✦Subterfuge +1
✦Politics +2
✦Persuasion +1
✦Deduction +2

Lores
✦Location: Alheas Park
✦Dira: A prayer for the dead
✦Medicine: Checking a body for cause of death
✦People: Zach Grasswind
✦Location: The Twuele
✦The Twuele: Has lots of floors
✦Zintila: Alvina of the Stars
✦Zintila: Leader and ruler of Lhavit
✦Aysel: A bit of an asshole
✦Endurance: Climbing stairs...and more stairs
✦Lheili: Chiona's lover
✦People: Doctor Alessia
✦Meteors: Used to make skyglass
✦Lore of the Constellations expedition of spring 518
✦People: Talora
✦Talora: Helps run Lhavit
✦Lhavit: Was plagued by a strange fog
✦The Unforgiving: Known for pools of wild djed
✦Lore of artifact found in the Unforgiving, the maledicted skull of a monster
✦Journeyman: A vicious, mouthless monster
✦Chiona: Interacted with the artifact
✦Chiona: Can't be held responsible
✦Zintila: Owed a favour from Madeira
✦Zintila: Wants Madeira to keep an eye on Chiona
✦Zintila: Wants Madeira to spy on the Dusk family?
✦Madeira: Plans to be useful to Zintila

Other
✦A few handfuls of Eth dust; ultimately useless with no magical properties and cannot be maledicted, but it looks pretty, like a fine, silver glitter
✦Favour(s) owed to Zintila that could be called upon in the future

Zach Grasswind

Skills
✦Observation +1
✦Endurance +1
✦Logic +1

Lores
✦Zach: Insomnia caused by pain
✦Alheas Park: Relaxes Zach
✦Endurance: Moving through pain
✦People: Madeira Craven
✦People: Allister Useless
✦Madeira and Allister: Together at the scene of a murder

This was a fun thread! Thank you all for participating. Skills were a bit limited, but enjoy your lores galore. :P If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grades, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM; I'll do what I can to fix whatever the issue may be!

Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Previous