PM to join A Ferry Ride

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

A Ferry Ride

Postby Vasin on December 22nd, 2018, 7:36 pm

Timestamp: 10th of Winter, 518 A.V.

A man named Vasin cautiously made his way through the streets of Sunberth, particularly the Sunset Quarter. It was still early in the day but the streets were certainly alive. He moved with caution not because of he as afraid of being attacked, as he stayed away from the back allies or any shortcuts that were likely to cut his life short. No, he moved cautiously because he wished to avoid a pickpocket rifling through his pockets. He did not have much in the way of money, and what he had he kept on his person. No sense in leaving it at his tent where unattended it was even easier to pilfer. Not everyone was the obvious thug, and he knew from experience that sometimes the most dangerous were the most unassuming, even if he did not exactly know what to look for in that case. A breeze wafted through the slums and carried with it the stench of poverty. A scent he had come to be used with thanks to his time living in the tent city.

So much to do today, and so little time he thought to himself as he navigated his way to the waterway. Luckily for him, he worked on a per contract basis, with some rather steady work. Someday a job was available, some days one was not and it all greatly depended on Goldfinger's Clients. But he made enough money that with his lifestyle that not having a contract one day wouldn't be the end of him. It gave him time for... other pursuits... he thought of the book he kept with him. it was a good way to pass time, and unlike the library, he had learned about he could take it anywhere. But, he had to shake the thought from his head, first, he had to find out if any work was available at the office. No daydreaming just yet he figured, that could come later. Now he just had to get to the Gated Community...

There were no bridges and a waterway blocked the way, so he would need to hire the services of a ferry to make his way there. Vasin would peer up and down the waterway looking for available boats. He was not particularly picky of course, as a ferry was a ferry. One could not afford to be picky anyhow, with so many people living here and the ferries being the only means of moving from one section to another sometimes one was left with little choice or none at all. He spotted a ferry fairly close to him and would move to hire their services. But almost immediately a group boarded and contracted the ferry. They were off in a matter of moments, and it seemed they were in a hurry. Vasin would look around once more for a ferry as his luck had not been so good on that last one.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Kailani on December 24th, 2018, 12:19 am

Image
It had been a slow day for Kailani as far as fares went, the initial spot near the Seaside Market that she’d picked to scope out passengers unfortunately rather dry. Unusually so, she thought with disappointment, gazing out over the mercifully clear horizon. Already, Winter was proving to have far fairer weather than Fall had even dreamed of, and she was thankful for that fact. Sailing was far more pleasant when bathed in Syna’s rays rather than constant, drizzling rain.

The Svefra meandered slowly down the river that bisected Sunberth, keeping a lot of slack in her sails to prevent the small ship from going too fast. Her dog, Kona, sat contentedly at her side, tongue lolling out of his mouth as the breeze caressed his brindled face. She looked down on him with a smile, reaching down to scratch his ears. A wag of his tail and a soft yip was her reward, her smile widening before turning her attention back to the helm.

A few chimes passed while The Sunset Tide kept up its slow travel, Kailani lazily steering the vessel as she kept an eye out for prospective customers. At last, as she neared the Sunset Quarters, she spied a man standing on the shore where another ferry had just left. Their loss, my gain, she thought with a grin as she pulled up to a nearby ramshackle pier, a hastily erected affair that she wasn’t sure would hold the ship for long. Better than nothing, she thought as she threw out a line, tossing it over the closest piling and hauling herself in.

No more effort than that did she put into mooring her ship in place, figuring it would be a quick enough stop that there was no sense in lowering the anchor or sails. Waving a hand in the air, Kai let out a short whistle to inform the man of her arrival, if he hadn’t already noticed. The ocean-eyed sailor offered her soon-to-be fare a cheerful smile, the golden braids that framed her face glistening in the slowly heightening light of Syna’s brilliance.

“Over here!” she called out in accented Common, fingers beckoning him toward her casinor while her upturned arm revealed the swirling waves of her Oceanus mark. “You need a ride, yeah?”

Her Akinva Deerstalker looked far less pleased at the prospect than she did, even though he accompanied her on every fare she took. Amber eyes held a deep-seated suspicion as they beheld the stranger on the shore, his hackles up in warning. While Kailani knew the dog frightened and intimidated many of her passengers, it hadn’t stopped her from bringing him along. In fact, that was precisely why she kept his company. A woman alone, offering passage to the lawless citizens of Sunberth? She needed the protection his sturdy, muscular presence offered. Even if had deterred a few potential clients.

“A few coppers will get you anywhere you need, my friend,” Kailani went to reassure the stranger. “That last boat?” She scoffed. “Trash. I’ll get you there in half the time with twice the comfort. Come, come!”

Job WC: 519

tiny filler words
Last edited by Kailani on December 30th, 2018, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea
 
Posts: 153
Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Vasin on December 28th, 2018, 2:14 am

Vasin blinked upon hearing someone speak up towards him. Unsure if it was truly towards him he would look around. His eyes came to rest upon someone distinctly waving them over. Seemed he was in luck he thought as he would take a few steps towards them on the makeshift pier."I do indeed!" he would say quickly in reply as he observed them. Their accent, it sounded familiar and warm to his ears like an old friend. As he grew closer he took notice of a rather muscular brindle colored dog. Seemed this ferry had some protection, and he took note of how the dog closely watched him on approach. He figured it was smart to keep a dog around, as while some might be willing to risk a sword, they might not be so willing to be mauled by a tough looking dog like that.

"Anywhere huh?" he asked now right next to them."Can you take me to the Gated Community?" he asked her as he would start fishing through his coins for some copper pieces. After taking out a few he would board the boat offering them."Certainly, a lot more room then what I would have had on that other boat." he said not liking the idea of being crowded in with the other passengers. But it was more than that, this boat was larger and nicer. A casinor! That's right, and she did have the look about her now that he thought about it and was this close. Taking a seat he would make himself comfortable and knew to behave himself. After all, he was under the watchful gaze of that rather protective looking dog.

"I don't think I've taken your boat before." he mentioned almost to himself as he sat there. Then again there were many people in Sunberth he had not met, it was a large city. Surely there were plenty of boats and ferries as well. Plenty of people to miss at any given time. But then again he wondered if she was possibly new here and felt the need to find out. Plus she had the look and sound of a Svefra about here. His own accent was much more subtle and diluted from years of living here.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Kailani on December 31st, 2018, 12:46 am

Image
Kailani offered a friendly smile as the man stepped aboard, blue eyes sparkling as she accepted his coppers with a nod. The coins were soon pocketed, gesturing for him to have a seat wherever he pleased. “Aye, anywhere,” she affirmed, Kona’s sharp gaze never leaving the bearded stranger, even if he had ceased his low growling. “Within reason, of course.” She winked as she added, “Anywhere in Sunberth, I should make clear. Outside of that, afraid you’ll have to pay a bit more.”

The Svefra started making ready to set off again, undoing her hastily tied rope that loosely held the casinor in place. She started rolling the rope back onto the ship, securing it to the hull before adjusting the tiller to fill her sails. “The Gated Community, eh?” Kailani repeated, taking her place at the helm and turning the ship off toward the west. “Should be an easy enough trip.” A gust of wind caught the rippling canvas, and they were off, the small boat sailing smoothly down the calm current of the river.

An ear pricked in his direction as he made light conversation, her Deerstalker a wary guard at her feet. Men, especially, seemed more of a target of his ire, but for that she couldn’t entirely blame him. The few passengers she’d served that had tried to get a bit fresh with her had been men, but his teeth had quickly deterred further advances. She appreciated his vigilance; without him, she wasn’t sure how well she would have fared up to this point.

“I don’t think you have been on my boat, no,” the sailor replied, one fingertip gently tapping her head as she went to put a little more slack in her lines. “I’ve a good memory. I’m sure I would have remembered you.” Another smile was flashed his way before she moved back to the helm, keeping her attention out for other vessels that might obstruct their path. “I’ve only been in Sunberth for a little over a season. There are quite a few faces I haven’t seen.”

She looked back at him curiously, taking in the blue eyes and soft hint of an accent she thought she’d picked up when he spoke. He had Svefra in him, of that she was almost certain, but he definitely wasn’t full-blooded. There was no Oceanus mark to be seen, and the fact that he was on her boat rather than his own made that fairly obvious. “Got a name?” she asked before turning her gaze back to the river. One hand gestured toward herself in introduction. “Kailani Pearltide.” The same hand then indicated her dog. “And Kona. He runs this ferry as much as I do, I swear.” She laughed softly before continuing, “What takes you to the Gated Community today?”

Job WC: 466

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea
 
Posts: 153
Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Vasin on January 5th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Image
Vasin nodded upon hearing that she was certain that she had never seen him before, and that she was certain he had not been on her boat before. That was good, he didn't like the idea of forgetting faces this early on."Makes sense then, being rather new to Sunberth and all that. Plenty of faces fade in the background, and plenty more disappear and move on." he said knowing that the population of Sunberth was always fluctuating regardless."A good sharp memory will serve you well here." he added on knowing that Sunberth was a city where observation and memory paid off, something he had learned a long time ago.

"Indeed I do." he said after she had asked if he had a name, and then introduced herself and her companion."Good to meet you Kailani." he said before looking over to her canine coworker."Kona." he said with a nod noticing once more how closely the dog watched him. So he quickly moved on looking back to her."I am Vasin." he said introducing himself to the two of them."You two seem like quite the team." he said a little amused. She was certainly different from a lot of Ferries he had taken here in the past. Not so many were this talkative, and many more became annoyed when he did try to talk. Back in the day, he had learned that Ferries were people you didn't mess with because if you did you could get a reputation. So he figured it was best to be friendly. To him, it was a tad different than when you encountered people on the street."But yeah, I am heading there to see if the office has any work for me." he said with a slight stretch.

"You mentioned before you can take people out of Sunberth?" he asked her remembering what she had said not too long before."Any limits on how far out or what route?" he asked obviously curious."Like, say... up the river? Along the coast?" he asked though more the former was on his mind. Something he had run into when he had found an Atlas earlier. No doubt he figured he wouldn't be able to chart her boat without a lot of money, but it was okay to gather info he figured.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Kailani on January 11th, 2019, 7:04 am

Image
“A pleasure to meet you, Vasin,” Kailani replied with a smile, her dog only snorting as the man said his name. She looked down at the brindle Deerstalker with a laugh and a roll of her eyes before looking back at the blue-eyed man before her. “We’re an unstoppable team, that’s for sure. I lure them in, and he scares them off.” Another laugh shook her shoulders, accompanied by a wry shake of her head. “Well… sometimes we both scare them off. But it’s Sunberth, yeah? Can’t be nice to everyone.”

Kailani walked over to shift her tiller, the sails moving to catch the wind more fully and propelling them forward. She put a little more slack in her lines that secured the fabric to ensure they didn’t move too quickly as the casinor approached the fork in the river. “The office, eh?” she repeated with mild interest. “And where would that be?” Lest he think her too nosy (which she rather was, if she was being honest with herself), she added, “That Gated Community is fairly large, after all. Certain areasm we’ll have to turn off left and others we can continue the way we’re going. Unless you like walking.”

Coming up on the fork, she slowed the vessel until they were nearly at a stop, awaiting his answer before the Svefra chose which direction to head. Vasin’s next line of questioning surprised her, lifting her eyebrows as she looked over at him. What she’d meant as a light-hearted, offhand joke, he seemed to have taken seriously, and she wasn’t quite sure how to answer. It wasn’t a question anyone had asked her before.

“Well, I won’t ferry you to another city,” the sailor answered after a few ticks of thought. “The Sunset Tide does her job and does it well, but she’s not very well equipped for such a long journey.” Slim shoulders lifted in a shrug as she considered what restrictions she had. “For the right price, I suppose there wouldn’t be too many limits on where I could go. Up the river or along the coast, certainly—I’m a Svefra, after all.” She winked. “You couldn’t make a better choice on that count.”

Her head cocked curiously to the side, arms crossed over her chest as she regarded him with a level azure gaze. “I took a fare on an overnight trip through Baroque Bay once. So long as the coin is right and it’s worth my time, there aren’t many places I won’t go.” That was a fare she’d forever remember; she still shuddered at the thought of that Katalimaru chasing after her ship. Not to mention how it had been defeated—Kynier’s display of reimancy a fixed point in her memory she was sure wouldn’t leave her any time soon. Even if that trip had been thrilling and terrifying both, it had led to one of her closer ties in Sunberth, and she was grateful for that, if nothing else. The mage had come to be a mentor-type figure in her life, her shipmate, and dare she say, even a friend.

“Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Have a mind to do some exploring?” Kailani’s cheek dimpled as she grinned. “You’re speaking my language now, Vasin.”

Job WC: 543

tiny filler words
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea
 
Posts: 153
Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Vasin on January 13th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Image
"Indeed, Sunberth is one of those places where being nice to everyone is rather difficult. Some people here are not about being nice or care to have people be nice towards them." he said speaking from what he knew of people here. The people of Sunberth had a sense of paranoia about them, someone being nice could just be trying to lure you into a trap."But, the people you can be nice with are a breath of fresh air when you stumble onto them." he said thinking back to Kelski who had come across to him as being as genuine as one can get."Just need to stick to your toes, or have someone willing to watch out for you." he said in reference to her Deerstalker.

Vasin thought for a moment about her question not entirely sure how much to reveal, but he wasn't in the mood for a long walk through the gated community."Yep the office." he said with a momentary pause."Goldfinger's Loan Agency. You familiar with it?" he asked curious what she knew about his place of work, and more importantly what she thought about it. Goldfinger's had allowed him to pick out a more or less official career path, though for all intents and purposes he still did what he used to do on the streets. Just this time he went out to get someone else money for them. It was steady enough work and had enough off hours that his life wasn't consumed by it. Of course, it was dangerous at times, but any line of work in Sunberth had a danger to it.

"Indeed, you would probably need a larger boat if you wanted to make that trip." he said wondering though in his mind how large a boat would have to be. He was not exactly well versed on sailing or what was required for such."Sounds like you would be the right person for the job so to say. Probably faster and easier than overland travel eh?" he said thinking it would probably faster to sail then walk along a coastline. Plus, any nasty land monsters would have a difficult time getting out to you. But, who knew was out there lurking just beneath the waves waiting to take someone under. However, it couldn't be all that bad as he had certainly seen more boats come in then people by the road.

Vasin would look to her and think for a moment. That was the word, exploring, exploration, and it was a word he had grown to be fond of. He would look out into the water."Yeah, I've been wanting to do some exploration for a while." he said a small smiled started to form on his face."Currently working on a little project to get me prepared for it." he said rather liking that Kailani also liked such notions."You must be the second person I've met who likes that idea. Most people I know don't think it's worth it." he said.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Ferry Ride

Postby Baelin Holt on October 31st, 2019, 7:59 pm

Vasin :
Skills:
1 Rhetoric
2 Socialization

Lores:
The most unassuming are sometimes the most dangerous
Sunberth: Ferries provide transport across the Mudway
Intimidation: Dogs can be more effective than a sword
Kailani Pearltide: Svefra ferry captain in Sunberth

Comments: A neat little ferry ride that could have led to a future thread. Please do edit your grade request in the queue to reflect this as graded, and eventually get around to editing your thread list. If you have any comments or concerns, please do feel free to message me.

Kailani :
I loved your writing! You really made the ferry ride come to life. If you come out of retirement, either message me or resubmit to the grade queue.
User avatar
Baelin Holt
Blacksmith
 
Posts: 304
Words: 316863
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2014, 12:36 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests