PM to join The Debt Collector and the Library

Vasin decides to learn some book knowledge at the library

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

The Debt Collector and the Library

Postby Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 7:32 pm

Reading a bit further along he found another interesting passage."I warned these idiots, but they didn't listen. I told them to not eat strange plants and they went ahead and did it anyway. I said no Milky sap, Beans, bulbs, or seeds inside pods, soapy taste, Spines, parsley-like foliage, "Almond" scent in woody parts, rain heads with pink, purplish, or black spurs, and Three-leaved growth patterns. This idiot managed to eat something with milky sap because he thought it looked 'yummy'. So now he is vomiting and losing a lot of water. So we are stuck here until it either passes over or he dies. Told him to keep drinking water and to not get dehydrated. Guy protested saying he didn't want water because it makes him throw up. I told him he would die if he didn't try. So now he is suffering through it." the passage was very clear. Also, very informative Vasin found as he committed to memory those things to look out for in plants. Don't touch anything with those qualities! Vasin thought to jot that down.
Last edited by Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 7:33 pm

So then he moved onto the next passage."Idiot is finally at 100%, but they got tired of hanging our food from trees. So guess what happened! I'll tell you what happened. A bear came through our camp at night and stole all our food. Told them we were in bear country and they didn't listen. Laziness kills out here, and that bear might kill one or two of us now without ever sinking its teeth into us. So now we need to head out and stalk some prey or gather up some actually edible plants. They want to keep going for some reason. Worst clients ever." the passage let Vasin know an entirely new thing. To use rope and tie up your food to a tree up above. That way bears wouldn't be able to steal it very easily. It made sense, as a bear would be interested more in an easy meal than trying to get something down from a tree.
Last edited by Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Vasin on February 3rd, 2019, 7:33 pm

Vasin would read the journal a bit more, time passing by without much thought. The journal had plenty of little nuggets about wilderness survival. This one unlike the previous was filled all the way to the last page. It's style informative and amusing at the same time to Vasin. He could somewhat empathize with the writer and their struggle. But also admired that they got to head out there as their job. The life of a wilderness guide was a dangerous one but seemed rewarding. So closing the book Vasin would review his notes. Looking over each one recalling the information. With a final nod, he would go ahead and put the book away. It was getting late, the sun would set soon. It had been a long day of reading and studying, time to turn in. So that is what Vasin would do. He would leave the library as it was closing up, giving a look back wondering what he would find here the next time he came."Until next time..." he muttered before leaving for home.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orakan on February 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

ImageVasin

Skills
● Observation - 4XP
● Investigation - 2XP
● Intimidation - 1XP
● Copying - 1XP
● Writing - 3XP
● Tactics - 2XP

● Weapon: Longsword - 3XP
● Philosophy - 1XP
● Deduction - 1XP
● Wilderness Survival (Forest) - 2XP
● Logic - 1XP

Lores
● Location: The Library
● Location: Stumble Alley
● Journal: Swords and Coin by Mercenary Urija
● The Library: A safe, quiet place to read without being bothered
● Swords and Coin by Mercenary Urija: A look into the daily life of a mercenary
● Intimidation: Make yourself look bigger
● Intimidation: Confidence is key
● Intimidation: Posturing is important but don't oversell it
● Tactics: Using intimidation as a threat rather than direct violence
● Tactics: Follow through when you ambush a target
● Tactics: Your whole body is a weapon, not just your sword
● Longsword: Proper striking techniques to maim a target
● Longsword: Aim for the opposite side of your target and follow through
● Longsword: The importance of fluid motion
● Philosophy: Practice makes perfect
● Longsword: Stay light on your feet and move around
● Longsword: Aggressive stances and lunges
● Longsword: High guard - a counter stance?
● Longsword: A well maintained sword does not need to be swung with great force to do damage
● Journal: The Journal of Azen, Wilderness Guide
● Wilderness Survival: The importance of safety and understanding your surroundings
● Wilderness Survival: Predators most often attack at night
● Wilderness Survival: How to identify signs an area is prone to flash flooding
● Wilderness Survival: The importance of finding and treating water
● Wilderness Survival: Dig a pit for a fire
● Wilderness Survival: Avoid eating anything with milky sap, beans, bulbs, or seeds inside pods, soapy taste, spines, parsley-like foliage, almond scent in woody parts, rain heads with pink, purplish, or black spurs, and three-leaved growth patterns
● Wilderness Survival: Hang meat from trees to avoids predators getting it

Misc/Penalities/Loot
Tiny thing - I don't see any writing items under the 'possessions' or 'ledger' portion of your CS and request that you please deduct the necessary mizas to cover these items. In the future, it's best to make note in the thread - usually at the bottom of the post where they are mentioned - of the costs of new items being used (ie ink, paper and pen in this case) as well as adding them and their cost to your CS. I haven't gone through your other threads to see if it's been noted elsewhere so I apologise in advance if you had already taken care of it but hadn't edited your CS yet to reflect this.

ImageComments

I've never graded a thread where someone learns from a book so I hope this is ok! I loved how you made what could have been a very grinding, monotonous way of learning into something fun and exciting. Your retelling of the mercenary's exploits and the wilderness guide's gripes were a ride and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the read! Do let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade and don't forget to delete/edit your request in the grading queue.
“The means to every crime is ours,
and we employ them all,
we multiply the horror a hundredfold.”

Image Image
Orakan
Lost Boy

Words: 101764
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 1:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes