Kaleas Barbarian Tribe Idea

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Vasin on March 8th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I had read once in the Price List under Sample Complex Structures in the Simple Keep example about how in Mizahar there are Barbarian Tribes that live in the Wilderness. Tribes bold enough to dare raids on cities which require the use of some form of either early warning or defense. However, after asking around I learned that they had not been developed. Hence, their rather small mention in the Price List. I would like to discuss the creation of a Barbarian Tribe in the Wilderness.

In order to have survived out in the Wilderness, these Tribefolk would need to be cunning, shrewd, intelligent, and brutal. Their skills in survival for adults without a doubt would have to be highly competent at the very least. The same with other associated skills required for living out there. A weapon skill, hunting, foraging, observation, land Navigation, and endurance. These would be a tough and hearty folk.

By the dangerous nature of the Wilderness only the strong would survive and thus their numbers would more than likely be limited. They would very much be might makes right society. Or at the least, respect strength and find the majority of those that live in cities to be soft. Though that could be either negative or positive trait depending on how desperate they would be for food. On occasion, they would make raids on the outskirts of cities. Either to steal food or other goods. Also, would it make more sense for them to be nomadic or stationary?

In terms of tools, they would not have ready access to metal tools, and any they would have would be stolen. Instead, they would make use of wood, bone, and stone tools. For instance, while they would not have access to say chainmail they would instead have access to Bone Armor. Specifically, they would use bone lamellar armor. With this, they would also use wood or rough leather armor.

Some examples of what bone armor could look like:
Secret :

In general, they would use whatever they can get their hands on. They would do what it takes to survive. I was also thinking they have their own notion of honor and have a martial culture among their warriors. However, I am not sure if it would fit in a society that is willing to do almost anything to survive. Also, there is the question of which god or gods they would follow. I am not entirely sure on some of these.

Thoughts?
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gendler on March 8th, 2019, 11:02 pm

I don’t have much to add to this conversation at the moment. But I really like this idea! I hope it goes somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gendler
Wraith

Words: 27289
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 4:27 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gendler on March 8th, 2019, 11:02 pm

I don’t have much to add to this conversation at the moment. But I really like this idea! I hope it goes somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gendler
Wraith

Words: 27289
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 4:27 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Itt on March 9th, 2019, 12:41 am

Hey Vasin! Just throwing my two cents in here on some of the questions you brought up! Maybe they're helpful, maybe not.

For a tribe that's so heavily orientated on survival, I imagine they would worship Gods and Goddesses that have heavy influence on survival, like Tavasi for fertility in order to birth many strong children, Caiyha for being able to nuture the land around them and potentially communicate with hostile animals and prevent attacks from happen as often if one or two have a gnosis from her. Also Bala and Semele to have more plentiful bounty of non-animal foods and connections to their Earth and the materials they use for tools. If you were looking for them to be more aggressive, for the lack of a better term, perhaps Ivak for strength, Viraatis for strong blood lines and literal blood shed, and Myri for war and battle could be potential deities.

Those are just some ideas to throw out there. If you were to do a strong marital/honour aspect Anon these people, then Cheva is a potential deity as well, even though she is not commonly worshipped in similar manners to other Gods/esses .

I imagine that marriage or companionship would be important to people who lived out in the wild lands, since who you bear children with could impacts heavily whether your children survive or not, especially if their partner doesn't show peek strength and will.

An additional thought, I think it would be a good idea to consider how the animalistic races of mizahar impact and influence these tribes. I imagine they would heavily value predator kelvics for their potentional for hunting, Charoda and Akvatari, if they lived by the sea for fishing, and various other people. Maybe race has a significance for these people,and maybe humans are not the dominant race in these tribes, or they are not a vast vast majority?
Itt
Sleepy Head

Words: 147703
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2012, 3:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Artist (1)