Solo [Weekend Challenge] Plus One

Gemma is determined to enjoy the Hearts Festival, regardless of all the craziness going on in Lhavit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Weekend Challenge] Plus One

Postby Gemma Parker on March 12th, 2019, 1:16 am

Spring 22nd, 519av, 9 Bells

Gemma looked at herself in the mirror, breathing deeply.

"You can do this," she said. "It's not a big deal. You're not a mage, not yet. Even if there is some kind of danger, it's not toward you." She looked herself in the eye as she bit a hair pin in her teeth and tried to get her hair the way she wanted it today. She could have been out of the house a half hour ago, but she kept fussing with her hair, unable to get it to look like she wanted. She never cared about how her hair looked past a quick pony tail or easy braid. Why was she doing this? She knew she was procrastinating. And the longer she stood here in front of the mirror messing with her dang hair, the less time she would have to do all the things she had planned for her free day without work or studies. She would not have another one of these for maybe the rest of the season, but here she was whittling away her time on her hair.

"Forget this." She said, dropping her hands with a slap against her thighs. "I'm going as-is." She declared. She stared at her half-done hair. She had braided one side and had been trying to pin it to the back of her head in an asymmetrical style, but the pins weren't right and the braid was falling apart. She put the last pin back on the table, pulling out all her work and wrapping her hair in a quick pony tail like usual. She took one more calming breath before nodding and heading out. She was going shopping.

Gemma bit her lip as she perused the stalls in the Azure Market. She occasionally entertained the possibility of going to The Silk Palace for her clothing, but every time she looked at the place she reminded herself that that was not who she was. It would be better for her to save some money while she didn't have much. She could always buy more clothes later.

Walking through the market with no special desire in mind was a recipe for financial ruin. And Gemma knew all about recipes. She brushed her fingers through the displayed clothing and sighed. Either it was too big, too small, not her style, or not her color. There were a few pieces that were almost what she wanted, but there was something wrong, either the design or a little detail that made her fall out of love with the garment.

She did have a decent chink of change in her purse, but each time she saw something she was reminded of what had happened last season. By the end of the season, she had been all but broke. And she had several times more expenses this season.

Gemma was not a big fan of haggling. She always heard a price and just grimaced. If it wasn't close to what she wanted to pay, she just moved on. But there was one pair of boots that caught her eye. It was a rare moment when the sky was only overcast, with just a light mist moistening the air. But this was the exception. So far her current pair of boots were holding up, but there had been some flash floods and just general flooding in some places, and a few times Gemma had had to wade through higher water than her boots allowed for. Plus, she just liked this pair of boots.

The price was noted at six tk, which was actually not that bad from what she'd seen. Still, while she had seen other high boots in other shops, she had not seen a pair like this that she really liked. So she did her best to haggle.

"That's odd." She said. "I could have sworn I saw a similar pair for five a few shops back." She said, twisting her lip as she looked at the boots. "What about that poncho?" She asked, gesturing to a hanging garment. She originally intended to just make it look like she wasn't interested in the boots. In the end, the shop keeper offered her the "generous compromise" of selling her both the poncho and the boots for what Gemma was pretty sure was the regular market price for each. But oh well. She'd gotten the boots!

Ledger: :
White Linen Embroidered Dress with Lace Trim = 6ki 4tk
Green Cotton Dress = 1ki 4tk
Brown Medium Wool Poncho = 1ki
Black Leather High Boots = 5tk
Last edited by Gemma Parker on April 4th, 2019, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Words: 219685
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 12th, 2019, 1:17 am

Gemma was determined not to go home. She had taken her rest period at the bath house on Zintila to save time. She had shopped and shopped and shopped for a dress and finally found one that she liked. The dress didn't really go with her boots and poncho, but she had bought it nonetheless. Actually she had bought more than just one dress, she'd bought two. And a hooded shirt. And pants. And another pair of long gloves.

Ok, so she'd gone a little crazy. But it was her free day and the truth was, she didn't have much time to spend the money she had. This was supposed to be the city the never slept. There were literally parties going on all the time, and Gemma was always so busy trying to make something of herself that she rarely stopped to enjoy the moment. In the last season, she'd tried to have fun at the Azure Festival, but she had felt alone. This time her plan was to be alone and to have fun doing so.

The sky was overcast, and as Gemma looked up, she followed a single droplet of water as it fell through from the dark sky, into the brightly lit city, past her face, and finally to the ground. If she squinted her eyes she could almost pretend that each droplet of rain was filled with light. She smiled as she walked, determined to enjoy this time, regardless of the weather.

Gemma thought about going over to Tenten, hoping she might see Izo, but in the end she found herself walking up toward Alheas Park. It might not be quite as pretty as usual without the moonlight to illuminate it, it was still a great place to hang out and enjoy nature. Maybe that was what she needed right now, to just get out and spend time in nature. No crashing waves, no death, no healing. Just nature.

The trail to Koten Temple veered off into a tunnel of green that dripped like a shower. The tunnel was dark and close, but for Gemma the smell of nature and water were like a warm blanked wrapped around her. She walked through and into the opening that became the park. Before her was a technicolor that she imagined must have resulted from some unknown goddess of color sneezing all over the garden within. The rain still fell along the path where she walked, but her eyes fell upon the bench she had had in mind. The massive multicolored mushroom of a tree supported a canopy of colossal proportions which stretched out close to the fishless pond, around which were skyglass benches that were normally full of visitors during the on season. But while there were some people in the park, Gemma saw that a certain bench was, by some miracle, unoccupied. 

The bench was near enough to the water to get lost in the overlapping ripples for hours, but it was also near enough to the massive tree to be safe from the rain. It was still a little wet, but Gemma quickly brushed off the moisture that had accumulated on it and sat down, closing her eyes and breathing in one of the treasures of her city. At least here there were no protests, no trials… only the magic of Lhavit.
Ledger: :
Black Leather Pants with Simple Buckles and Chains = 8ki 8tk
Black Cotton Shirt with attached Black Cotton Hood = 2tk 6jk
Black Linen Embroidered Gloves = 5ki
Total for both posts: 22ki 3tk 6jk
Last edited by Gemma Parker on April 4th, 2019, 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 12th, 2019, 1:17 am

Gemma looked up at the outside ring of the canopy, watching as a waterfall fell like a bead curtain. It was serene, for sure. But as she watched, the bells tolled and evening began to come. Sadly, now was when the evening parties were starting, and Gemma was sure at least someone was going to start a party here in the garden.

Sure enough, only a short while later, Gemma saw two young men carrying a keg of what she assumed was alcohol. A few minutes later, another came with a table, and following him were a few girls carrying glasses and chairs. And as Gemma watched, she saw that they were coming right for her. Or at least her spot. She thought about standing up and telling them to find their own tree, but she knew it wasn't fair for her to keep this blessing all to herself. She sent a silent prayer to Caiyha for the sweet moments she had spent. And then, as she was about to excuse herself, she saw him.

Izo was dressed similarly to how he dressed in the academy. He wore black boots, black pants, a loose shirt, tucked in, and his hair, which was normally all over the place, was slicked back and pulled into a little bun. Gemma wanted to say it made him look goofy, but as she looked, it started to grow on him. Maybe it made him look more intense, since she could see his whole face. This was her chance. But her chance for what? She didn't know. But she knew she wouldn't be going home any time soon.

As her academy instructor approached, a black coat over his shoulder, Gemma caught his eye and after just a moment, recognition donned on him.

"Miss Parker." He said in his usual low but humorous voice. "I didn't realize you would be at the party. Do you know Jasper?" He asked.

"Professor Raphey! Hi! Oh no, nothing like that." Gemma said. "Actually I wasn't invited to the party. The party came to me. I mean I was here first. I mean they came while I was already-"

Izo smiled and breathed a little laugh. "It's all right. You can be my plus one." He said. "That is, if you wanted to stay."

"Your plus one?" She asked, her mind going down all sorts of paths.

"Yeah, if anyone asks who you are or why you're at the party you can just say you're with me. It won't be a problem. Anyone's welcome, I just didn't want you to feel like you were on the outside." He smirked.

Gemma felt so small next to him. He was so confident, so sure. It didn't bother him in the least to invite a student to hang out at a party with him. Why did this make her so nervous? But then it hit her, sinking down into her gut. That's exactly why he was so confident. He didn't see her that way. Maybe he never would.

"So you're staying, then?" He asked. Gemma realized she hadn't said anything for a few ticks. 

"Oh. Yeah. I mean yes, I can stay for a little while. So long as you don't bore me." She tried to make a flirtatious face, but she was pretty sure she looked ridiculous. 

"Oh, Miss Parker, I've been accused of many things in my life, but never of boring a date." The word almost made her trip over her own feet as Izo put a hand on her mid back. The pressure was firm, but not forceful. 

"Gemma." She almost choked out. "You can just call me Gemma. If you want." Her breath was coming in shorter pulls. She hoped Izo didn't notice. 

"Then I insist you call me Izo. At least while we're not at the academy." He said. "Come on. Let me introduce you to the rest of the gang."
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gemma Parker on March 12th, 2019, 1:18 am

Gemma was introduced to everyone in Izo's group of friends. No one asked how they knew each other or what their relationship was, and they didn't bring it up. Gemma was quickly offered a drink, but she politely declined. Izo handed her a glass of non-alcoholic snow apple cider. She smiled and thanked him, smelling the thick spices before taking a sip. It was good. Probably from last year's harvest.

The party was much better than anything Gemma had been to before. She met new people and was accepted without anyone needing to know what she did or who her parents were. They didn't seem to care. They were just people being people together. She was invited to hang out with them any time, and Gemma didn't know how to respond. She just thanked them. She had never really had friends. She'd come close a few times. Maybe she'd even tasted the real thing once. But each time her incessant need to impress her mother had always pushed her to spend less and less time with her friends until eventually they had stopped coming around, tired of being turned away. Maybe this time would be different, though. Maybe she could change.

As she stood up from their circle in the grass, Izo looked up at her. "You leaving?" He asked.

"Yeah." Gemma said. "It's getting late." They had already talked through one of the city's rest periods. She wasn't as tired as she had expected given the time, but...

"I have work in the morning." She said as he stood.

"I can walk you home." He offered. "You live on Sharai, right?" Gemma had already walked a few yards into the rain, and Izo walked with her.

"I can go alone. I don't want to take you away from your friends." She heard herself say. What was she doing? This was exactly what she wanted. But in her heart she was afraid of looking needy.

"It's no trouble. Besides, I'd look bad in front of my friends if I just let you walk home alone. It'd be bad for my reputation.” Gemma wondered what kind of reputation he had, and if she should be worried. She chanced a look back at the circle of friends. One of them was lazily strumming a guitar. But she didn't see any knowing glances being exchanged, or anything that caused her to worry.

“And, Gemma…You really shouldn’t go alone. The city’s not safe right now. I know you’re not a mage, but mobs can get out of hand and do things everyone regrets.” It was a harsh reminder of what she had been trying to forget.

"Ok." She said. "I guess I wouldn't mind the company. Safety first, right?” She smiled.

“Safety first. And I promise to be a perfect gentleman." He said with that smile of his, offering an arm. Gemma took his arm with a trembling hand and tried to smile, but now that she was alone with Izo and he was walking her home, she started to doubt herself. She absentmindedly grabbed her arms and Izo mistook the action for a reaction to cold. Before Gemma knew what was happening, Izo's black jacket was hanging over her shoulders. Suddenly she smelled herbs and cologne all around her, and the wet seemed to evaporate away as the heat of the jacket surrounded her.

The two walked in silence for a long while until they finally reached Gemma's house in Okomo Estates. Nearby, a small group of Okomo lay around in the open grass, breaking the silence of the still peak with their loud breathing. 

"Thank you." Gemma said when they got to her door. "For everything. I had a good time." 

"I hope to do it again some time." Izo said. 

"Yeah... I hope we can."
Gemma Parker
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Madeira Dusk on March 25th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Gemma Parker

Skills
  • Cosmetology: 1xp
  • Observation: 4xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Socialization: 2xp
  • Seduction: 1xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp

Lores
  • Lore of a self pep talk
  • Negotiation: baiting
  • Socialization: cute boy stutter syndrome
  • Izo: doesn't see her that way
  • Social Circle: an introduction to Izo's friends

Awards & Retribution
See below

Notes
Oi! I appreciate the ledgers in your posts, but you need to lay out exactly what each item cost, not the sum total! That just gives me more work as I have to dig through the Price List for every item, and make wild guesses about what material/embellishments you've added, and even what price you've listed the poncho at, since there is no entry! Next time I hope to see something like this:

ledger :
+Boots, high (leather): -1ki
+Dress (linen, dyed): -1ki 2tk
+Dress (linen, dyed): -1ki 2tk
+Poncho, listed as Cloak (linen, dyed): 7tk, 5cm
=4ki, 1tk, 5jk

As you can see our math is off. So PM me with exactly what you bought in this thread and the price of each item, with whatever additives, so I can add it to your grade. :angry:
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)