Solo A Mountain And A Task

Kamilla meets with the founder Matthias for a job and a request...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Mountain And A Task

Postby Kamilla on July 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Image[/center]
35th of Summer, 519AV

It was impressive, the community and how dedicated they all were to their collective survival, something Kamilla hadn't witnessed in such a tightly knit manner in any of the previous cities she'd lived in. Sunberth was a cut throat population of citizens concentrated on the survival of themselves and their families. Zeltiva had been a society who dealt mostly with those who could ensure the continuation and growth of their own families or businesses. The closest she could think would have been Riverfall, but that had been a city bonded by it's discipline, religion and shared race, whereas Syka was a bunch of very diverse people working together to survive. Sahova didn't even make it onto the list for its complete lack of community in general, no one did anything for free or for the benefit of others on The Undead Isle. A few days had passed since the hurricane had blown through the settlement and while some of its structures were still in the process of being repaired the majority of Syka had gotten back to their usual lives and jobs, herself included.

Currently,  Kamilla was headed towards The Tidepool Bar for some work, the simple structure had been one of the first to be rebuilt after the hurricane and since the Commons was still under repair, it was the next best thing. She'd bumped into the potter, Nesra, the day before and been informed that one of the founders, Matthias, had been searching for someone to repair or make some clothing for him, she was not sure which but she certainly was interested in meeting another of Syka's founders.  She'd already met Randal, the handsome man had been of the first Syka's she'd met upon her arrival and had offered her some land and a loan in exchange for her loyalty and dedication to remaining, wanting her to make the settlement her home and contribute to it.

At the time, she'd been uncertain of the future and whether or not she would be happy in such a different environment to the city life she'd grown used to, but now Syka had grown on her and she'd caught a whiff of something interesting in the areas surrounding the settlement, most notably, the fact that magical items kept washing ashore. There was something to he discovered in Syka and Kamilla wanted to be the one to discover it. That aside, along with her rather ueasamt experiences with the surrounding jungle, she was beginning to grow fond of several of the residents too.
Finn, Sophia, Rou and now the handsome Chaktawe, Jehu. While they were all still more associates than friends, it was certainly alot more than she'd had in any of her previous homes.

Arriving at the Tidepool Bar with Wally rolling up beside her on The Cobbled Pathway, since animating the small wooden wagon to follow her along the path, her life and job had been made significantly easier. Kamilla grabbed her sewing kit and made her way towards the nearest empty table, giving a pilot nod to Stu behind the bar, or at lesst, she thought his name eas Stu. She'd met the odd man on her first day in Syka too.

"Good morning, Kamilla! Can I get you anything? Of course your options will be limited since most of the stock was destroyed by that awful storm, but we'll be well stocked and ready to celebrate as soon as The Veronica returns."

Surprised that the overly friendly man remembered her name while she was uncertain if she correctly remembered his, Kamilla simply shook her head at his question. "That's okay... I'm just waiting for Matthias..." Before she could finish her sentence the man was placing a glass of water on the table and adding a wink.

"It's just water, for the heat."

"Thanks..." She added, not willing to argue over something so insignificant, she had far larger things on her mind. .. a small mountain in particular.

Words: 671

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Words: 592212
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2014, 5:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

A Mountain And A Task

Postby Kamilla on July 18th, 2019, 11:29 pm

As she accepted the unrequested glass of water from Stu, reluctantly taking a sip of the refreshingly cool liquid and realising that she had indeed needed it, Kamilla found herself eyeing the long haired bartender as the itch in her throat made itself known. Stu was an oddly friendly man whom she knew next to nothing about, what was his story? How'd he come to be the bartender in such an isolated settlement? Where had he come from? With every question that floated through her thoughts Kamilla felt the itch grow more intense, along with the urge to have them all answered.

"Ah, you must be our new seamstress! Pleased to meet you, I'm Matthias."

Kamilla had been ready to call Stu back and flood him with her questions when the stern but friendly voice had interrupted her curious train of thought, brown eyes seeking the spruce and finding a handsome looking older man wearing comfortable looking button up shirt with only a few of its buttons fastened. Thankfully, he'd already introduced herself and kill a was able to put a name to the man's face immediately. "Kamilla…" she responded, managing to refrain from offering her last name as well. Sykans seemed determined to be on a first name basis with each other, which made offering her full name feel unnecessarily formal. "I was told that you were in need of my services?"

"Oh come now, we've just met, there'll be plenty of time for work later… besides, I was just hoping for a few simple repairs to my trousers. See, there's this ever-so-slightly protruding nail in my favourite seat that keeps ripping my pants in the exact same place."

Kamilla frowned slightly, though it was one of confused amusement. "Then perhaps fixing the seat should be your priority."

Matthias laughed heartily, which confused Kamilla more since she hadn't meant it as a joke at all.

"I suppose you're right Kamilla, though I'll get to it soon enough. It's far too wonderful a day to be holed up at home… So tell me! What do you think of the settlement so far? You've been here for just about a season now, correct?" She nodded in response, once again distracted as Stu placed another unrequested glass on the table. "Ah my favourite, thanks Stu! Your drinks make my day!"

It seemed like the mysterious bartender was the type of person to have everyone's favourite drinks memorised, who knew what else he knew about Syka and it's residents, she made a mental note to come to him first if she ever needed information. "Uh, it's been lovely, being from Zeltiva, I'm not quite accustomed to this type of climate but living here has definitely been a unique experience." After all, in one season her life had been threatened by the jungle and it's inhabitants no less than three times. Most notable was a giant serpent, apparently known as a Dhani.

Leaning forwards, Kamilla allowed the mature man to take a gulp of his drink, clearly enjoying it, before speaking once again. "Also, I'm told that, as one of the founders, you're the person to talk to about claiming some land." At this, the man visibly brightened, lowering his drink to reveal a smile.

"Decided to stay in our little slice of paradise have you? I'm glad to hear it, you and your skills are certainly welcome… and yes, I would be the one to talk to. Where exactly is this piece of land that you'd like to claim?"

Where, before the man was casually leaning back in his seat, Matthias was now leaning forward, clearly focusing on the conversation at hand. "Would you mind if we talked and worked?" Kamilla began, eyeing the bag the founder had brought along.

"Of course. How efficient of you."

With that, Matthias pulled out three separate pairs of pants, all in the same color, while Kamilla retrieved her sewing kit from her bag and placed it on the table, already in search of the spool of thread closest to the colour of the pants. "As for location… there's a small mountain right besides a series of waterfalls, far down that way." She paused to point southward, Matthias leaning to the side to get a proper look.

"Ah yes, you mean between Stairstep Falls and Treasure Point? An excellent claim! And available too."

Words: 727

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

A Mountain And A Task

Postby Kamilla on July 22nd, 2019, 4:21 am

Kamilla hadn't stopped to consider that the area she'd wanted might have already been claimed by someone else, but was relieved to hear that it wasn't the case all the same. This was good, she would finally have a home of her own, for the first time since Zeltiva and far more isolated too. She could practice her magic as much as she wanted without risk of being disturbed. She was excited. All she needed to do was confirm her claim and then start hollowing out the small mountain. She already had a few ideas of how she wanted to look, though that might change once she got a good look at what she was working with.

"Of course the land itself if free, but will you be taking out a loan in order to build your home? Randal has been quite busy lately but he should be available by next season at the latest."

By now, Kamilla had already picked out some thread, placed the first pair of paints before her, rip facing upwards, and successfully threaded the needle. She froze hearing the man's question, slightly nervous as she realised how conspicuous her answer would be. "I, uh… won't be needing a loan or building assistance." She paused for a moment, immediately recognizing the confused look in the founder's eyes as he, no doubt, pondered the construction abilities of the slender young woman, answering his question before he could answer it. "It's a bit of a personal project." She added with a small smile, quickly averting her gaze under the guise of focusing on her job as she began to pull the needle and thread through the trousers, forming a zig zag like pattern.

"Well, okay then… just be safe, I trust you know how dangerous the jungles of Falyndar can be. And if not, then TRUST me… they are deadly. Let's just say, we didn't get to Syka on our first attempt."

She did know how dangerous the jungles were, she was fully aware. In her first season at the settlement, she'd encountered a Dhani, a troupe of Wanolo Baboons and a trio of nandhai. All except the latter had attacked her somewhat unprovoked. "You don't need to worry, I'm well aware. I've had an experience or two since my arrival." As she finished her sentence, so too was the stitching of the first pair of trousers complete. Pulling the thread taught, Kamilla watched as the 'wound' closed, seemingly mending itself with the help of the thread. One down.

Moving on to the second pair of trousers, noticing that the rip really was in the exact same place, Kamilla couldn't help but crack a small smile at the thought of the older man ripping multiple pairs of pants on the same chair. Amusement aside, his mention of their expedition did cause the itch in her throat make presence known, Kamilla trying to subtly clear her throat by taking a sip of her unrequested water. Meanwhile, she was curious about what had driven the founder to starting a settlement so far from any other cities.

Words: 517

Kamilla
Magical Mistress

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes