Completed Inn Coming...

Tazrae sets foot on Syka, realizing it isn't anything like she'd ever imagined.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Inn Coming...

Postby Tazrae on May 9th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Timestamp:10th of Spring, 520 A.V.

When the ship came into sight of the settlement, Taz stood at the rail looking on. She knew the place was smaller by far than Riverfall, but the one dock jutting out into the cerulean water surprised her. She saw a few buildings built in the distance out into the water. And it looked like further back in the palm trees more buildings were tucked here and there. Swallowing hard, the young woman reached back and tried to capture a portion of her wildly curling hair behind an ear, while trying to suppress the grin that was having a hard time being covered up despite her dismay.

Riverfall was so different. It had a roaring waterfull on the side of a sheer cliff that dropped down into a plunge pool that formed a sheltered harbor. Buildings clung to the cliffs and rose up the walls of stone in tiers. Here, there was only the sun, the sand, and the water. It was beautiful, but it was so different. Her fingers dug into the wood of the rail and she leaned over as the sailors brought the ship expertly up to the dock and lines were tossed overboard. The Veronica was tied off dutifully and almost immediately the crew and even the passengers were conscripted into unloading.

Someone struck up a tune and though Tazrae wasn't used to singing with others, she joined in the song having learned it in the crossing. A crate of chickens was handed to her and several bags of potatoes were draped across her shoulders, balancing her load. She thought of her bags and trunks in the cabin and cargo hold, but the work before them seemed to take precedence. People came out of the trees, all joining in the work without the Captian even remotely having to ask.

People greeted each other and sailors hugged what appeared to be family members that materialized to check on them and then help unload the ship. It was clear to Tazrae almost immediately that Syka had no longshoreman. Instead, the citizens just seemed to turn out to assist the ship unloads all on their own.

With crystal clear blue eyes, she noted packages of mail handed off to an older man who wore authority like a coat, and even that gentleman set the mail he was handed aside to roll up his shirt sleeves and help with the unload. Surprsingly, the whole process took less than two bells, though it was two bells that Tazrae sweated and groaned unused to the heat and humidity they worked in.

However, it wasn't without its reward. Sometime about halfway through the unload, several people, peeled off from the work and headed towards what looked like a commons area and she could smell meat cooking. Pork, she thought, though it had a tinge of something to it she'd never smelled or tasted before. One of the sailors, handing her a crate of what looked like paper and ink, winked and nodded towards the commons where something was smoking fairly heavily now. "They've put a pig on the spit, girl. We'll have barbequed pork sooner than later and all the fixings." He muttered happily, handing her a waterskin which she took a drink out of before passing it onward.

She had no clue, of course, what barbequed pig was verses normal pig, but that didn't mean the smell wasn't making her stomach growl. Taz wondered if there was someplace she could clean up because her curls were now plastered to her face, neck, and face. The underarms of her shirt were soaked through with sweat, and she had long figured out her heavy kidskin boots were unsuited to the heavy sand. Her skirt was too heavy for the weather too, she decided immediately, and she flapped an end of it in her face as soon as she was relieved of the writing supplies by someone who said they were bound for the mercantile.

Sometime later, Tazrae got swept up in a crowd and found herself jostled into a line that wound through the communal kitchen with a plate loaded with food and a mug loaded with some kind of fruit juice. On the far side of the line, was a covered area filled with tables and chairs. She found a seat alone, a bit away from the crowd, and settled in to enjoy the food. Barbeque, it turned out, was tangy and delicious... some sort of roasted treated meat. But there was corn, fruit, and two different types of salad. She had a bit of everything, tasting and trying the new cuisine, even as she looked around and took in the sites.

She wondered again, for the hundredth time, if this was the right decision. Syka was only two or three days from home by ship, but it might as well be a world away. She knew absolutely no one here except the Captian. And honestly, she hadn't seen him for hours. When the ship had steadily risen in the water as it emptied out, Taz found her stuff in a neat pile off to the side of the dock in the shade of a palm tree with absolutely no one messing with it. She'd left it alone in favor of the food, but the truth was she had no idea where she was going to spend the night. There was no Inn here.

That's why she'd come, truth be told, but it made her feel weird that so many people might come here to visit and have no place to go. Could she change that? Was there truly an opportunity here? Tazrae dug into her food, curious, thoughtful, and indeed watchful.

Word Count: 996
Last edited by Tazrae on May 10th, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Inn Coming...

Postby Tazrae on May 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm

There were so many people here. And they all seemed to know each other. Tazrae wasn't shy, but the place was so new she opted to remain sitting by herself so she could observe the place and note who was with who and how the people here treated each other. And one thing she realized quickly was that the skin tones were all different colors. The eye shapes and races reflected people from all over the place. Riverfall was a sea of Akalak and Tazrae wasn't used to the wide variety. But it was refreshing. She heard multiple languages, some she recognized, but many she'd never heard spoken before. Like the food on her plate, the scene swirling around her was unfamiliar and refreshing. Music started somewhere nearby and people were smiling and humming along as they ate and socialized.

Someone walked among the tables with fresh juice and her cup was filled up more than once. Tazrae offered a grateful thanks each time someone topped her cup off. No one exactly ignored her. They smiled, nodded, and more than one person stopped to introduce themselves and ask if she was new. Tazrae repeated her name more than once, friendly to everyone, though still painfully uncertain if coming here had been the right thing to do.

Eventually, with her meal almost done and her appetite satisfied, Tazrae was about to rise when an older man settled himself across from her. "James sent me to talk to you, Tazrae is it?" He said thoughtfully, and offered her a friendly smile. "I'm Mathias Okavis, one of the Founders of Syka along with James and our friend Randal. James has explained to me about your family, what happened, and what you want to do here. I'm all for it. It would be nice to have some young Innkeeper blood here willing to deal with the tourists and residence that need a place to stay a few days before they decide where to permanently settle." He said, nodding to himself and saving Tazrae a whole lot of trouble in launching into her well-prepared speech.

"I guess it helps that James has been staying at my family's Inn for years when he makes the crossing... more for my mother's cooking than anything I think. He watched me grow up there. I know the business and am a decent cook. I love the work, but I just wanted to get out of Riverfall and be someplace I can make my own name instead of being Marketh and Estra's daughter. My father's death hit us hard, and now mother's a Nakivak and actually remarried. I just don't want that path for myself and every Akalak around has suggested a contract. It gets old. I don't want to be a womb for hire." She added, offering him a smile that flickered with uncertainty like a candle's flame. In Riverfall, such sentiment would be considered selfish and self-serving. She wasn't sure if its reception here.

Mathias Okavis nodded. "I can see your point there. And you are young. I for one think you'd be far better gifting the world with an Innkeeper's abilities than just being another mother. But then again, I'm human and not Akalak, and those biases' probably show. James told you there'd be access to funds if you want to build your own Inn here? We have a builder, Randal, that can get you started. He's fast and does a really good job since he does most of our construction here. Since the sawmill went in, we are doing far better and can outfit your Inn with wood you would consider exotic in Riverfall. Hardwood floors will stain out beautifully and walls that will last a lifetime or two because of the quality of the woods. But the heat here proves a killer, so get with Randal... ah there he is now! Randal... come sit a few..." Mathias gestured.

Another man, tall and darkly handsome, strode by shirtless and reversed his passage by to hook a leg over the bench across from Tazrae and sit down. "Another house?" He said, almost tiredly glancing at Mathias. The other Founder laughed and shook his head. "No, this young lady is an Innkeeper's daughter who wants her own Inn. I was hoping you two could think about something suitable for the area and perhaps work on some funding loanwise. Make her build it with you.... but I know you were looking around for a new project so something like this might be good for you." Mathias added.

"Right. You are right there. If I have to build another bungalow - which I can do in my sleep - I might just throw in the towel and solicit in Riverfall for another builder. But an Inn sounds like a challenge." Randal said, even as Mathias rose.

"Nice to meet you Tazrae. I'll come around and see to the paperwork later once Randal works out something with you." He added, nodding to Randal.

Tazrae nodded to Mathias, said goodbye, and glanced at Randal. "Hi. I'm Tazrae." Randal nodded.

"Randal Zor." He added, then slipped off a shoulder bag he had, pulled out a sketchbook and then retrieved a box of charcoals. "So... tell me... as an Innkeeper what do you want?" He added, curious as to how much of a challenge this was going to prove to be.

"Well, my family's Inn had twelve rooms and we were usually full. But that was Riverfall and they were very experienced. I can handle that many rooms, but I'd like to start a lot smaller. I'd like to find a nice piece of land on the ocean with a great view of the sea and build there. I think six rooms would be plenty, and I could live in one of those rooms as my own unless I had a really full house. I'd need a kitchen, a gathering room, someplace to eat outside for outside people if they'd like to come have dinner as well." Tazrae said. As she spoke, she noted Randal taking notes and nodding.

"This isn't Riverfall and I see things are made a lot simpler here. I wonder if I can ask you to build something like an L shaped structure with two rooms on the small portion of the L and four rooms on the longer portion of the L with the gathering area in the corner. Maybe make it strong enough that if the Inn gets bigger we can put another story on it with the same layout to eventually bring the count up to twelve? I would like to at least start out with that simple plan and if we never need six more rooms, at least put an apartment above the gathering area for me to dwell in to have privacy away from the guests. I've seen your bungalows and ranchos and they are beautiful. I'd like a large deck both on the small and large portion of the L facing the sea... and maybe a small deck or porch facing the settlement with maybe a foyer for rain gear or the like. I hear it rains here a great deal." She added, watching in fascination as he nodded and sketched.

She stopped speaking and he eventually stopped sketching and turned the notebook around so she could see the image. Gasping, she clasp her hand over her mouth and widened her blue eyes in delight. Taking a breath, she nodded slowly and uncovered her mouth. "That's perfect. That's really perfect. How much would something like that cost?" She asked, looking at him worriedly.

Randal smiled. "If you have some funds already, I could get it all done with the furniture this season... for about four thousand Mizas. I bet you could make that back in a year tops... if not sooner if you held some fundraisers and had some private parties." He offered, looking thoughtfully at the sketch and feeling challenged all over again. "Live in one of your rooms for a year and we can do the apartment upstairs next spring." He added as if encouraging her to take the risk.

"Yes." She said simply, knowing this was what she was going to do... and that she'd be good at it. "I want to do it. I will do it!" She said thoughtfully, happily. Randal nodded.

"I'll take the sketch by Mathias, run the figures by him and we'll have a contract for you to sign as soon as you figure out where you want the Inn to be. There's some nice flat land with beachfront north of here. I suggest an acre for the Inn. You'll need at least that much land if you want to garden and landscape too." He added. "I have some of the plots we have available staked out and flagged with bright red cloth. Go pick one out and I'll see you here perhaps tomorrow to sign the paperwork and get started. It will us the whole season to build this... and it will take less time if you help. So I expect you on the job site daily." He added with a smile when he rose and reached out to shake her hand.

"I'll do that. Thank you, Randal. See you here tomorrow!" Tazrae said, then picked up her plate and cup and went to help with some of the others who were already at sinks in the kitchen, washing up the used pots pans and plates.

Word count: 1627
Last edited by Tazrae on September 2nd, 2020, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Inn Coming...

Postby Tazrae on May 10th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Taz finished washing up with the others. It turned out she was working side by side with Juli, James' infamous daughter, and the woman had several ideas for a location for the Inn once she'd successfully pried half of Taz's history and purpose for being at the Settlement out of her. After washing and drying then stacking away the plates and cups from the feast, Taz walked with Juli along the pathway that was made of stone through Syka towards the south. Juli chattered on about this and that, introducing her to people as they passed by or pointed out locations.

Taz was starting to form a map in her head of Syka and how it was laid out. It wasn't nearly as big as it seemed from The Veronica. Nor was it as populated. The bungalows and ranchos weren't filled up, which was bad news for the Inn. And there was also little... beds? Could they be called beds? That visitors could use rent-free on the beach to spend the night. The beds gave them no shelter from the rain, so that was a plus, but then again there were seasons there was absolutely no rain either.

The place was so green... so vibrant with life. Little lizards scurried across their path and Juli pointed out snakes laying quietly off the trail in speckled sunlight beneath the giant palms that shaded the whole settlement. Flowers bloomed everywhere, and half the trees they passed were hung with fruit of one kind or another. There was absolutely no excuse for a chef to not get good ingredients. And this thought pleased Taz more than anything else. She was lucky. She'd met people here so far that gave her reassurances that she could do what she thought she could do.

And with Juli leading the way, Taz soon felt herself relax, start to enjoy the place she'd found herself, and drink in the beauty. She would have to showcase the beauty of this place in the Inn as well. It would have to be aptly named, decorated with perhaps natural items found in and around Syka. Taz wondered if she could find shells and maybe some of the blown glass floats she saw in Riverfall. She pictured linens of pale fabrics drapped over dark hardwood floors. Randal had given her ideas, and Juli had reassured her of Randal's skill.

They walked a ways, not far from the city center, but far enough to not be affected by the hustle and bustle. Then Juli grabbed Taz's hand and the two women slipped off the beaten path to a smaller trail that led out onto a beautiful cleared bit of land shaded by palms that overlooked a white sand beach scattered with a few boulders of white rock. Palms grew everywhere up and down the beach. Juli tapped a land marker... "The acre starts here... then trails down the beach and behind us to the main road.. It's a full acre I believe." She said, letting Taz followed her out into the palm frond strewn clearing that would indeed be perfect for an Inn.

"It's beautiful," Tazrae said, looking around and spinning in a small circle. "We'd have to cut down some palms, but leaving most of them up would allow shade and the beach... the beach is beautiful!" She exclaimed, then gave Juli a quick hug. "I'm so glad you knew where this place was and that it was still available." She added, looking thoughtful.

Juli laughed. "I know Randal was saving this for something special. He kinda kept it off the map for someone to snag as a private home for a reason. I wonder if he ever considered it a place for an Inn. I know my father mentioned yours more than once and even said he'd hoped he could get your dad to consider moving over here with an Inn. He was going to ask him, you know before he died." Juli admitted softly. Taz paused, then turned to her and nodded slowly. "He would have really liked it. I miss him. I think this would have been a great retirement job for them. Small... out in the jungle. They would have both loved it. I don't think my mother knew something like this existed... an opportunity like this. She sold herself... her body... to the Akalak to give them children. She suggested I do the same. But I wanted to do something different... to be an Innkeeper again. I was very happy as one before." She said softly, still pacing the length of the property, looking for the marker at the other end of the acre. It was there, but the land around them was empty.

The two ladies found it eventually, laughing, and nodding before they turned to head back. Juli invited Taz to stay with her overnight, but Taz refused, instead of saying she'd move her things to the plot of land, set up her tent, and get a camp started before the actual building could be. All she had to do is get her things hauled down the beach.

Juli immediately offered to help, and they both together were able after several trips to move the crates, cartons, and boxes to the parcel where Taz could immediately begin working on her camp.

In the morning, she returned to the Commons, ran across Randal who had papers for her to sign, and after a few signatures and a handshake, she was the new owner of the land on the beach where the building of her Inn would begin almost immediately.

Word Count: 972

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Inn Coming...

Postby Tazrae on September 3rd, 2020, 12:26 am

Grading!

Tazrae:

+5 Observation, +1 Singing, +2 Body Building, +1 Negotiation, +2 Business, +2 Planning, +1 History, +3 Interior Design

Syka: Everyone Helps Unload The Veronica, Body Building: Unloading A Ship, Mathias Okavis: Appearance And Mannerism, Syka Founders: James, Mathias, and Randal, Syka: Provides Loans, Syka: Has a Sawmill & Blacksmith, Randal: Appearance And Mannerism, Planning: Building An Inn, Business: Asking Exactly For What You want, Syka: General Layout, History: Juli’s Dad knew Taz’s Dad and was going to ask him to Innkeep in Syka

Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes