The trouble with chance (Gael)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Reed on June 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Gael’s answer surprised him, while also solving the earlier riddle of where he knew the name from. It made sense now why he recognized the name but couldn’t place it. Reed’s mind was long detached from that faraway place, and in fact he actively tried to suppress his memories of that time. Some days that was harder when Merdem wanted to bring old shite up again, but eventually they were both far enough removed from the event that the memory became fuzzy. Could’ve been that his master had used the services of this Reacher, or perhaps he’d overheard talk of one. It didn’t matter now, that moment was far enough away for it to not affect him like it used to.

Merdem was inclined to brag about their exploits, so Reed changed the subject. “Agreed. My mother was a kelvic. Tell me, whats it like?” He asked before fully knowing what he was going to say. His face was impassive at mentioning his mother, with only a vague interest being expressed with the question. She had died when he was born so he knew nothing of her aside from the bits his master mentioned. He never had anything good to say about her, so Reed had long ago given up on understanding who his parents had been. However that had been when his fate was not his own. Now that he had control, he felt it would be wrong of him to deny the chance to at least something of what her life had been. Something besides that she was a mutt, and other less savory things.

After that had been answered, he followed it up a statement of his own. “All I know of her was that she’d been a mutt, and came from somewhere called Ravok. I asked where that was, and when I was told how far, I asked why bother with all of the trouble of bringing her that far. He just laughed and said you didn’t look a gift in the mouth. I shut up after that.” It was a close personal moment for him, and would be plain by the way he winced as he formed to words of that last part. He didn’t feel anything particular for his lack of parentage, just a hollowness that was hard to forget unless he was deep into his training.

What sort of work do you think might interest you. It sounds like you might be suited to help guiding some of our hunters if you like roughing it in the wilds. Though maybe you’d like something within the city. I could ask around to see what was available.” He said, changing the subject again as he tried unsuccessfully to avoid getting too close to home on any one issue. Despite his dislike of the subject, it was not unpleasant to talk with someone familiar with Sunberth. It was a refreshing change from the blank stares he usually received when reasoning through his mental process with someone. To have met someone who knew what it had been like in the pits was equally as interesting as it was disquieting. He wasn’t used to having people around that would be overly familiar with places from his past, but he didn’t feel the need to be careful about what he mentioned. His life here in Syliras was the only thing that was real now, with his past being just a bad dream.
Reed
Player

Words: 112495
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gael Reacher on June 10th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Gael was surprised to find out that Reeds mother was also a Kelvic, but he supposed it wouldn’t be the strangest thing. Kelvics mating with other Kelvics always produced a Kelvic, but Kelvics mating with any other species almost always produced whatever the alternate species in the coupling was. Ergo, an Akalak with a Kelvic parent. He thought it was a bit peculiar that he was being asked what it was like to be a Kelvic, given the situation, but then again Sunberth was no stranger to orphans.

“Its…hard to explain. It would probably be the same if I asked you what it’s like to be an Akalak. You just are. I hear better, see better and smell better than most species I suppose. Skin or fur, clothes or naked, speaking or barking, it’s all the same to me,” he replied with a shrug, taking another swig of the ale. The question was a unique one, something he’d never been asked before or really had to contemplate. Though they differentiated between first form and second form, for him he was just…Gael.

Reed inserted a bit of information of his own and the man listened with his head slightly cocked to the side, a habit picked up by most canines when they were trying to hear better. He didn’t know how he felt about the term mutt being used. In this situation it was just something Reed was repeating, so he meant no harm, but for him, mutt was usually an insult. Inbred, stupid, crazy, all of them were synonyms for that word and something that had been thrown at him frequently. He had a thick skin, but his wolfish instincts took the slights gravely. He was also intrigued by the use of ‘he’, wondering who this he was exactly. Was it Reed’s father? Was it his master, as so many pit brawlers had?

“It might have been better you didn’t ask any more than that. Kelvics get sold like livestock, mostly for the worse depending on what their second form is. Whatever she went through or whatever she was brought for…” he stopped, not willing to go further. He’d been told stories by his father to scare him into acting right, stories of what traders did to Kelvics. Slavery, butchery, torture and so much more, it was enough to make his stomach roll.

The Knight asked yet another question, but Gael was starting to find it wasn’t annoying him as much as before. It felt fluid, natural, and while each of them were still carefully holding some things back, there was a sense of comradery to exchanging stories of their birthplace. He took another sip of his ale, lips pursed in thought. He looked at his empty plate and his now empty mug of ale and remembered he now owed a debt.

“Before any of that, I don’t like owing anyone. So, let me help you. I can do whatever you need me to do. Deal?” he replied, meeting the man’s gaze and, this time, holding out his own hand for a shake.
Gael Reacher
Player

Words: 17239
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2020, 3:52 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Reed on June 11th, 2020, 1:20 am

Reed stared into his mug as he considered the answer. It made sense in a way. He’d grown up as an Akalak without ever knowing what one entailed, only recently learning about his other half. Of course, they’d always been together, but it was incredible the ideas he’d come up with lacking the right information. For the longest time, he’d settled on the fact that he was crazy. It had been a relief to discover that was not the case. That the voice, thoughts, and movements detached from his own were not the product of madness. He was still learning how to deal with his brother, but it was a comfort to know he wouldn’t have to do so alone. There was Kaer and little Nikali to guide him now.

I suppose you’ve got a good point there. For the longest time I thought everyone could see the same way I did till one dark night in a cell my friend couldn’t see how many fingers I was holding up. Probably saved me on more than one occasion in the pits. Is it the same for your eyes?” He wasn’t sure how to phrase what he saw exactly. It wasn’t like he could see in the dark as he could during the day. More like things had a different quality to them. Like the way that giant hearth fire radiated into the space around it.

He was pretty sure he knew what Gael was alluding to. His time as a slave was rough, but comparatively he had it light to some of the things he’d seen over the years. Shiress specifically came to mind. Her master had been a cruel bastard that he hoped found the wrong side of a fight one day. Reed had suffered that day as well, but not nearly as much as that woman had. With someone who also could be seen as an animal, he had to imagine that the abuse only escalated. Maybe that was why Gael had come to Syliras.

Gael’s next offer was unexpected, and Reed took a tick to process it before deciding how to respond, giving the man a firm shake. “How about you pay me back with the latest news out of Sunberth, and maybe a spar if you are up to it. After all, you said you were a guard right?” He was feeling refreshed after his run this morning, so a good bout sounded like a fine way to work off this excess energy. Of course, after asking he wondered what the man’s preference was for said combat because as far as he could see the man was weaponless. Which suited him fine if that was the case. It had been a long while since he had brawled, and naturally, Merdem was in agreement with this idea.
Reed
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gael Reacher on June 11th, 2020, 2:14 am

At the mention of his sight and its discovery he almost laughed. Almost. While switching and being in both his forms was natural to him at this point, it hadn’t been for the first few weeks after his first shift. It had been like getting used to walking all over again, except with his senses. When he was in his second form, he was by all standards a true wolf and his senses showed that. And while in his first form his senses were more keen than others, especially humans, they were at perhaps fifty percent capacity. It was like entering a new world. He supposed it may have felt like that for Reed, except his new world was learning that he had what others didn’t.

He nodded in response to the question asked of him about his sight. “Yeah, though it’s even better when I’m in my second form.” It was interesting, he thought, to learn about the perspective of another species. Of course he’d been around Akalaks before and new enough about them to know what to avoid, but hearing it from one themselves was a different experience entirely.

But, as soon as Reed grabbed his hand, he felt like the ground had shifted beneath his feet. His other hand physically gripped the edge of the bar table harder. It felt like a bow string had grown taunt in his head, connecting him directly to the man next to him and he was speechless. He could see his lips moving but the world was tuned out. All he could feel was his hand and that tight string in his head, and on instinct he knew what this was.

“B-bond,” he stuttered out, copper eyes wide and startled. This was the last thing he’d expected out of this encounter, but he also knew there was no going back now. Not unless Reed wanted nothing to do with him. His chest ached at the thought and he felt as though a whine might bubble up his throat.
Gael Reacher
Player

Character sheet

Postby Reed on June 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

That was interesting. He hadn’t really though that Gael’s abilities would differ between forms, though he supposed that made sense. How did that work exactly, the whole exchange of bodies. It all seemed so throughly mystical. As was the way for many things in his life right now, and as always he wondered if he would ever run into anyone with answers for it all, or at least part.

Without a second though, he shook the man’s hand and was equally shocked by the bond. Suddenly he was aware of several very different sensations. Unfiltered feelings assailed him, and it took a moment to realize that none of it was coming from Merdem. Surprise was among the strongest coming through, though there was also worry, contentment and satiation thrown in.

Blinking several times, he steeled himself as he adjusted to this new information. This connection was not as complete as his brothers, but it did have the added effect of making his heart race as his pupils dilated with an unexpected rush of endorphins. Realizing he was holding Gael’s hand rather tight, he loosened his grip, and breathed out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding. He grounded himself on what Gael had said, though it made little sense to him just now as he knew very little about kelvics.

So, uh. That happened..” Reed finally managed, and finished off his ale. Feeling a little calmer after having downed that, he looked back towards Gael. “I can feel your emotions. I didn’t know that could happen outside of my brother.” As the words left his mouth, that gave him an idea. He reached out to his brother, but Merdem didn’t have answers for what he was experiencing. That or he was being his usual moody self.

With nothing more to go on, he asked. “Can you feel mine?” That and countless other questions raced through his head as he started thinking about his apartment where he kept little Nikali. She’d probably have at least some sort of explanation, though she’d probably charge him a story for this one. Feeling through the bond now, he didn’t even know what he’d ask her as it seemed pretty plain to him what had happened. This bond as Gael called it had formed and now a range of emotions had come to the surface. It was wild, but also strangely good. It reaffirmed the camaraderie he’d been feeling during their conversation, as well as the trust he’d placed in him when he’d been given that chance back in the market. Looking at Gael now, he didn’t have to think about what he was feeling, he felt it, as keenly as he did his own or his brother’s emotions. An he didn’t know exactly what that meant for him just now.
Reed
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gael Reacher on June 11th, 2020, 10:36 pm

Obviously Gael had never been bonded before, so this was new to him as well, but he could feel even more surprise and confusion from his bondmate. Boy, that term would take some getting used to. According to his questions, he assumed Reed knew about as much about Kelvics as Gael knew about Akalaks. A.K.A. pretty much nothing.

Reed down the rest of his ale and the Kelvic man could feel his emotions dampening, calming. It was mesmerizing to say the least. Much of Gael’s work had consisted of reading the emotions of others, of guessing their intentions and acting on them. He didn’t have to guess anything with Reed now, he just…knew. He couldn’t read this thoughts, but weren’t emotions just as good? Emotions were what everyone based their decisions on at the end of the day.

His bondmate mentioned a brother, which wouldn’t have been that surprising, after all they had just met. The thing that surprised him was mentioning he could also feel his brother’s emotions, then there was a warble in the ‘bonding string’ that connected them. It weakened ever so slightly, then returned to strength. How curious.

He nodded in response to his question, “I’m guessing you don’t know much about Kelvics and bonding, which makes sense,” he began. “Bonding tethers you to the being you’re bonded with, not by life force but by sheer will and emotion. It’s like a string of fate. I can feel what you feel and vise versa, and we can even sense where each other is as long as we’re in the same general area. It’s the ultimate connection, the life purpose of my species. I didn’t expect this, not with you, but then again, we never really do. It usually happens suddenly and without warning, just like now,” he explained, reciting in part what his mother had told him with that sad, sad look in her eyes.

“I exist for you now. As long as you’ll have me, you have my teeth, my claws, my will and my support. We’re as good as family.” He knew the way he was phrasing it was heavy, but he also didn’t want to sugar coat anything. He felt no malice in the situation or disappointment. He could tell Reed was a good man with good intentions. He’d come from the same place he had but from a rougher background, yet he still decided to break free from that and make his own path. He could have thrown Gael in jail or beat him for stealing, but instead he chose to give him the benefit of the doubt. There was still much each other had to learn about each other, but Gael could feel their bond strengthening by the minute. The string that connected their souls together was gathering more layering, fortifying itself, wrapping itself in their emotion and wills.

The Reacher man had always had a strong sense of loyalty and selflessness, a strong behavioral trait of being a wolf Kelvic. He formed a metaphorical pack in his mind and would protect it at all costs, this was, in large, what made him so good at protection. He sent a wave of loyalty, of trust, through their connection to prove his point. Unless Reed severed their connection, he wasn’t going anywhere.
Gael Reacher
Player

Character sheet

Postby Reed on June 12th, 2020, 4:36 am

Reed had a hard time believing what he was hearing, but then again, the bond was irrefutable. Which put him in an interesting place mentally as he tried to sort his next steps. It was all highly inconvenient, but he didn’t hold that against Gael. It wasn’t something he asked for, just like he hadn’t asked to share his body with another. So, that left him with only one choice. To figure out how to incorporate this new information into his life like he had with his brother. Naturally, that was easier to think than take action on.

Sorry, I was just thinking.” He said after a while when he realized he’d been staring. “I imagine you’ve got some questions for me to. I don’t have much of a history outside of the pits, but I’ve got a good thing going here. The knights have been a good place for me.” Reed looked suddenly thoughtful as he wondered what Kaer would make of the pair. The older Akalak was wise in many areas, so he probably understood the bond better than Reed did currently. He made a mental note to ask him about it when he next got the chance.

Reed felt the emotions coursing through the bond, and felt in his turn a strong sense of reassurance. He’d been right about that man, he could see that now. Gael was no thief. He was more akin to what Reed had been when he’d first came to the city, and perhaps that is why they bonded. As he processed that, Gael would be able to pick up a sense of restlessness through the bond. There were still so many questions to be answered, but Reed didn’t feel like thinking of those just yet. All of this had wound him up, and he needed to release some of that tension before he could think of anything else.

Would you care for some light sparring? I think better on my feet.” He eventually asked, more than a little hopeful that he would say yes. Reed had been sitting still for far to long, and getting up to do something felt like what he needed right now. Of course, that brought up the question of where, but Reed thought he had a good place in mind for that. After he dropped off his plate of course. It wouldn’t be very fair if he wore it sparring after all.
Reed
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Gael Reacher on June 12th, 2020, 6:46 am

Gael could sense all kinds of emotions coursing through Reed; confusion, intrigue, overwhelmed, but most importantly, acceptance. He could feel himself relax when that emotion came across, visibly sitting back in his seat. The Akalak’s eyes were locked on him, light pink meeting with copper for such a period that the man felt the need to clear his throat.

He nodded when Reed mentioned him also having questions. How could he sense his brother’s emotions, where was his brother, how did he become involved with the knights, so many more. He’d never been so interested in another person before, but there were many reasons for that he supposed. One was his father’s lifelong lesson of telling him not to get close to anyone because of who they were, and another was because it was a natural side effect of being bondmates. He wasn’t ready to tell him everything just yet, as they were things he’d yet come to terms with himself, but with time he was sure everything would be laid bare.

The Kelvic could, in fact, feel the restless that had taken over his other half. It made him want to pace, it made him want to run. He didn’t have a preference between his two forms, as there wasn’t much of a difference for him besides sense enhancement, but in times of high energy or danger he was more prone to his wolf side. To feel the earth beneath his paws and the wind in his fur, it was quite unmatched in calming him down.

He rose from the bar stool, arms extending above his head in a stretch. “That sounds good, I get the same way. It’s been a bit too long since I’ve had a good spar,” he consented, waiting for the other man to lead the way.
Gael Reacher
Player

Character sheet

Postby Alric Lysane on March 20th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Reed & Gael

Hi!

Should you return please update your CS and PM/DM me for your Grade! :)

~ Alric
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2