Closed Spiritism 101

Madeira teaches Moritz the basics of spiritism

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Moderator: Luminescence

Spiritism 101

Postby Madeira Craven on July 28th, 2020, 12:57 am

54th of Summer, 520
Moritz was getting a little too big to have his mother holding his hand anymore, but Madeira liked to do it anyway.

"I'm sorry this is so sudden, Moritz", she smiled down at her son even as she expertly dodged the mid-bell crowed. "I was asked this morning if I wanted to come in tonight to take over a novice spiritism class for an ill teacher. Since you aren't at the Academy or the Shinya's place, I think this is a good opportunity for you to listen in and learn about Spiritism."

Another thunderstorm was brewing over the mountains. The promise of rain hung low and humid over Ziltila's bustling streets, causing Madeira to alternate between throwing her red cloak back over her shoulders and clutching it closer to her throat. Leth and the first scattering of evening stars were completely obscured by the boiling grey clouds, but the low, flat light made Emma's ethereal shroud more visible. She could be seen between the shoulders and elbows of the crowd, dancing ahead in her tattered nightdress and occasionally looking back to make sure the other two were keeping up.

"Are you doing well in your training and studies?" Madeira continued, struck by a sudden pang of curiosity and guilt. Perhaps it was a mark of how inept a mother she was that she didn't keep up with her child's education when she worked in education herself. "What are you learning at the Academy?"

It wasn't too long before they reached the Dusk Tower's lush grounds, though Madeira noted that they were looking marginally less lush since the scorching first half of the season. Students and teachers were milling on the lawns despite the threatening weather. Madeira pulled Moritz along without stopping, explaining as they went: "So, this is the Dusk Tower. It's run by the Dusk family, who are one of the three lineages that founded Lhavit. They teach Auristics and Spiritism here."

Through the front doors, she waved absently to Mirihar, who nodded politely back. They passed another set of doors and ascended a set of stairs to the second floor. The novice classrooms were on the lower levels, which meant...

"Aha, here it is." Madeira rewarded Emma, their capable chaperone, with a smile. The ghost was bouncing on her toes in front of a numbered oak door. On the other side she could hear a babble of conversation. It seemed the students were already there.

Madeira finally let go of Moritz' hand so she could beat out her green skirts. Then motioning the Kelvic to follow she twisted the knob and breezed inside. The classroom was small and airy. Tall windows looked down into the dark plaza below, and leafy plants in every corner gave off the fresh, relaxed feeling of a summer grotto. Twelve chairs faced a great wooden desk, chalkboard and what must be an incredibly expensive collection of books at the front. Each desk was occupied with a student, and each student was staring at the trio.

The students, from just over sixteen with pimply faces and nervous eyes, to just under twenty with deep voices and five-o’clock shadows, shifted in their seats and quieted immediately. Emma, nervous at the attention, faded into a indistinct haze and ducked behind a potted plant. Madeira took her accustomed place at the head of the room and introduced them.

“Good evening, and welcome to your Spiritism class. I’m Ms Craven, and I’ll be your instructor. Emma will be our ghostly helper. And this is Moritz. He'll be joining you today.”

Now every eye was turned to the boy, who didn't look old enough to be out of Alluvion, much less in a Tower. Unveiled teenage judgment shot from every direction, taking in the wild pastel hair and weird eyes.
x
Madeira Craven
long may she reign

Words: 1402855
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spiritism 101

Postby Moritz Craven on July 28th, 2020, 11:55 pm

54 Summer 520

Every time Moritz saw his mother she seemed smaller. Or, in truth, he was noticeably bigger. Growing like a weed, in his human form he looked close to nine years old. In truth he would be six seasons old at the end of summer.

But then being a kelvic he grew faster, and due to this had to learn faster. Every so often he pondered what he would have been like had he been human, more out of curiosity than anything else. But he quickly turned back to the fact of things, and was happy with who he was. He was himself,and could not imagine being anything else in anything more than a passing momentary thought.

Being dragged along by his mother who refused to release his hand, Moritz simply examined his surroundings as he walked.

He noticed his clothing was starting to grow a bit tight, a bit short, yet again. It seemed a constant fight to keep him in well fitting clothes. As soon as he got a new set he had grown again and shortly they did not fit.

He was still somewhat lean and gangling, but slowly thickening out. Most of the issue with his clothing was due to his height which seemed to increase faster than any other aspect of him.

For a moment he considered responding to her comment on the lesson, but after considering further realized it was not a question. No, as usual with his mother it was a statement. An expectation of how things were. Which was fine enough, until he disagreed with that statement. Sometimes he agreed, sometimes he was indifferent and did not care enough to go against her. But if he disagreed then a clashing of wills and heads was inevitable.

So far today that had not occurred, but that did not mean it would not.

"Mmm...."

More a confirmation that he had heard her than anything else, the pair carried on to their destination.

Before them was one of Madeiras ghosts, not her friends as she said to him before... But when the ghost was around, she seemed to change her tune. So which was the truth? Was she lying to him? To the ghost? Were both a lie? Both partly true an untrue? He was unsure as he was in regard to many things his mother said.

When she continued speaking and did ask a question he was a bit surprised. Not in the open mouth wide eyed surprise, but still something he had not been expecting. But then she was paying for his lessons.

"I'm learning. You'd need to ask my teachers on if I'm doing well or not. I haven't broken anything yet, or lost any fingers. I suppose that's a positive sign for the combat training. With my other classes... I keep getting put into new ones, so I don't really know much of anyone. Usually I'm with a new group each season or so."

Realizing that this last statement was a bit vague Moritz continued regarding his studies.

"The other kids, they take too long with stuff. I do group work, but the rest... Its slow. So they keep putting me on to the next class. With older kids. Is that a kelvic thing? I know I grow faster than others, but does that apply to other stuff to?"

Realizing his mother had also asked for something he was learning, Moritz considered before giving an example.

"Earlier this season, we had a group project where we designed a holiday. I had to present it for my group."

He was unsure if his mother was listening or not, often she seemed to ask questions without really caring about the answer or listening to it.

When they finally arrived at the building he realized it was not a normal building. No, it was a tower. A big, tall, building. He had passed it before at a distance, but did not recall coming up to the building itself.

"I know Spritism, its what you do. But what is Auristics? Mmm... I think Octarus mentioned something about it when we met that night earlier this season. But I don't think he knew what it was."

Seeing as he did not meet or talk to his mother overly much with her schedule and his own, he had not had time to bring up his meeting with the Ethaefal prior. And Moritz being Moritz, he hadn't felt the need to volunteer the information. He hadn't hidden it, but it didn't occur to him to go out of his way to mention it to her. So often he seemed to inform her of something by bringing it up in an offhand manner when it came to his mind.

Of course it was also possible Octarus himself had told Madeira if he'd seen her. Or the Shinya who he had run into that night.

Shortly they were inside the building, up the stairs and to the next level. Moritz did not have much time to look around as Madeira knew where she was going and seemed focused on getting them there.

Inside the room there were a number of students. Is was a smaller room than he had been expecting, with the windows open so it at least was not too stuffy inside. Each chair within the room was filled with a bottom, a student peering forward silently at Madeira their instructor. That did leave Moritz wondering where he was to sit, and what exactly his mother had planned for tonight in this class.

When he noticed one of the older boys sitting near the front of the class was staring at Moritz he turned and met his gaze. With an open eyed glare he let his stare peer into him, not blinking. This lasted for several moments without much happening.

Whether it was the stare, the oddness of Moritz eyes appearance, or his demeanor, the student shortly looked away and focused back on the front of the class. Other eyes however continued to stare, and Moritz could not stare them all down at the same time.

Focusing on the most pressing matter, Moritz turned to his mother.

"Where should I sit? Or am I standing?"
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 94518
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Spiritism 101

Postby Madeira Craven on August 13th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Madeira listened as Moritz explained his schooling. His offhand comment about not knowing anybody worried her. Did that mean he wasn't making friends? Was that a bad thing? She was never encouraged to make friends as a child, but looking back she wondered if that was healthy.

Otherwise his metric of success seemed to boil down to how many things had been broken and how many fingers lost, which made her smile. His question however stumped her. She honestly didn't know what the cognitive abilities of Kelvics were. Moritz' father certainly didn't behave like the four-year-old he was, but then again Allister was mad. It was hardly a sound comparison.

"You mean does your mind grow as fast as your body? I'm not sure", she admitted. "Though if you're not having trouble keeping up then you must be learning faster than the rest."

At his age any other race would still be in diapers. Perhaps this was an animal trait, you had to learn fast or die. The morbid thought of his short life span flashed in her head and she almost missed what he said next.

"Sorry, a holiday?" she smiled. "That's an interesting project. You'll have to tell me about it later, maybe it can be something our household celebrates."

His offhanded mention of Octarus threw her for a moment. She had no idea the two knew each other. Now that the boy was walking himself to school and training and allowed more freedom about the city it wasn't impossible for him to have bumped into the Eth, but what were the chances? And why were they meeting at night? And why the hai were they talking about magic? She would be having words with Octarus later, she promised herself darkly.

"Well, Auristics is a magic discipline where you learn to see auras and interpret them. Auras are these coronas of energy that djed give off, and they can tell you a lot about a person or an object. Djed itself is this energy that makes up the universe and everything we are. It is our thoughts and our substance and exists in everyone and everything."

Once they were in the classroom she allowed the class to gape at them for a tick before snapping her fingers and calling their attention solely to her. "Focus up everyone, class is starting. Sit at my desk, Moritz", she waved the boy in behind her.

"Now", she addressed the class at large, switching to a voice that was all annunciation and projection. "I've been told you have a handle on what Spiritism is, correct?" She waited for a chorus of mumbled yeses before continuing. "Good. Today will be your first practical lesson. We are going to learn about soulmist; what it is, how we make it, and what we do with it. Who can answer the first question?"

A brave hand was raised in the back row. "Yes?", Madeira smiled encouragingly.

The girl, young and nervous, stood to speak. "Soulmist is what ghosts are made out of. It replaces the body."

"Correct, thank you. When the body dies the soul can still exist by replacing the physical body with their astral body, the process of which essentially turns the soul into a ghost, and therefore soulmist." Sliding behind the teacher's desk, Madeira leaned down to open one of the bottom drawers. Finding when she needed, she surfaced with a jar of what looked like crackers and a bowl of tacks and put them down on the top of the desk. "Who can answer the second question, how do we make soulmist?"

At this she looked behind her, expecting Moritz' hand to be raised, and willing to call on him if it was. She had never taught him explicitly on how to make it, but he must have seen it enough times to at least know the steps.
    x
    Madeira Craven
    long may she reign

Words: 1402855
    Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
    Race: Human
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Journal
    Plotnotes
    Medals: 10
    Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
    Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
    Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
    One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
    2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Spiritism 101

Postby Moritz Craven on August 24th, 2020, 1:46 am

Moritz was a bit disapointed to yet again learn his own mothers lack of knowledge. She, he assumed, knew a lot about certain things. But that seemed to almost never include the things he was asking about.

Still, it made sense to him, that he was developing mentally as well as physically faster. Or maybe he was just unusually smart, even for another in a comparable position. Of course, he was an Okomo, and they were much wiser and more intelligent than most of the other animal forms of kelvic he had met. So maybe that was also a factor?

It would be simpler if anyone knew of another Okomo kelvic and their upbringing, but he had not heard of such yet.

"Or maybe I'm just smart. Or maybe its because I'm an Okomo kelvic. Okomo are smarter than other animals I've met. Not that I've met many... Maybe the animal side, the base animal, also affects a Kelvic."

Moritz grimly smiled at his mother, at her offhand comment. He had a feeling she would not like his holiday, or at least celebrating it. Not considering what it was about. Basically being anathema to her seeming everyday life.

Turning to something his mother seemed to know more about, he found she did have a better understanding of magic, or one magic, than she did kelvic. Having recently had souls explained to him in a temple during a confusing exchange, he also better understood her words. That and her prior attempt at explaining magic in which she said souls, which confused him as soles.

Auristics was a magic involving the energy about a person, which let you learn information... Both people and things gave them off... From context corona meant... Something off or around? Like smoke off a fire? Auras came from djed, which makes up everything... Which would explain why not only people with souls had them, if it came from the djed itself. Everything was made up of stuff, and that stuff gave off an aura, but not everything was made of the same stuff or as much and not everything had a soul.

Almost by habit at this point, Moritz began picking away at his mothers words. Considering, thinking, rewording, reordering, and looking at it from several directions. Trying to understand the magic she was explaining.

Although, how could djed be thought? Thought happened in your head, and was something physical? Or... That was an odd.... Thought.

Once they were inside Moritz mother quickly took order and began giving instructions. Quieting the class and getting them on task.

Following her instruction to him Moritz headed around to sit at the teachers desk.

At her mentioning of soulmist Motitz thought back to home, and seeing his mother make it for the ghosts. Feeding time. Making food and also making soulmist... He could not recall the specifics, had not been paying that much attention or had been too young at the time... But one thing did clearly hold a spot in his mind. In his memory of his mother making soulmist.

Visible perhaps for its oddness, poking out among other thoughts.

Ghosts were made of soulmist, a soulless body... And in place of that body, or their... Astral body? That, whatever it was, turned into soulmist. In place of the body? Which was, he guessed, how they interacted with the world. Picked things up, and did stuff.

At her second query, Moritz noted his mother looking at him. He had been pondering over what had been said, pulling it apart and reordering it for storage, when he was distracted by her query. How was soulmist made? Like several other students, Moritz raised his hand.

His mind flashed back to his memories, sorted and collated... Soulmist. One facet, quite clear. Seeing his hand raised his mother called on him, and he spoke his memory.

"Blood. You need blood to make soulmist."
    Moritz Craven
    Player

Words: 94518
    Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
    Race: Kelvic
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Plotnotes
    Medals: 1
    Featured Thread (1)