A Cold Winter's Musings (solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Vala on March 1st, 2011, 3:13 am

Explanation :
Excluding the first two posts, this thread is a series of one shots, all revolving around Vala's journal. Hopefully there will be more entries in her journal next season...

Winter 1, 510 AV

“15 pinions, take it or leave it.” The stall keeper drawled.

Vala stuttered, “buh- buh- but I just heard you offer it to the last customer for ten pinions...” Vala’s attempt to contest faded, as did her confidence.

The stall keeper smirked at his triumph - a saving grace for Vala, as his cockiness only brought out her rae, replacing her initial insecurity. “Yes well she was an Endal and you are a... chiet.” He concluded, conceding to her lucky observation. He had taken her for an easy mark, at first. Well at first he had taken her for a Yasi, but at a closer inspection it was clear she was too developed - her face was quite deceiving.

Vala, through years of practice, managed to keep her rage out of her tone and facial expressions, but couldn’t help sounding petulant in the process. “That’s not fair...”

The stall keeper guffawed. “Life isn’t fair dear. So do you want the journal or not? There are many others who would be willing to buy this for - I’d go as far as to say twenty pinions. You know I’m almost letting you steal from me...” He faltered in his almost scripted swindling routine, when he noticed Vala’s glistening eyes. He was mistaken though, when he assumed it was from sadness -it was from blinding fury.

Vala knew the man was trying to take advantage of her - he wasn’t the first. He was offering her a leather journal, albeit a nice one, at almost three days worth of her salary . “ I can’t afford this if its this,” she gulped nervously. “overpriced.” She squeaked.

“Look dear, this book cover is made from treated leather. And the pages are made from the finest vellum. I do have some cheaper journals for sale though, even some dirt cheap used journals.” He pulled out a few worn and battered journals from the bottom of the pile.

“Used...journals?” Vala tilted her head to the side in disbelief.

He opened to a random page in one journal: it looked water logged and the binding was coming loose. “This is the cheapest journal I’m selling at a pinion a pop -and yes, used journals. You see here.” He flipped through the pages until he reached a blank one, somewhere in the middle. “The last owner only used a little less than half.” It was obviously more than half. “The last pages here are more than usable. Especially if,” He looked Vala up and down. “you’re just a novice scholar.” That was more than enough to set Vala off.

“Look here sir. I am a hard working chiet, and I just got a new job in the Enclave. I’m looking for a journal to help me practice my writing. I am not looking for some half used waterlogged mess. If you are going to be this unreasonable I can take my business elsewhere.” Vala stomped her foot, which broke her concentration. She was surprised she had even managed to protest like that without stuttering. She hated haggling, but she hated pricks like him a lot more. She had enough self respect not to fall into his traps. Though her outbreak was probably not most effective way to lower the price, it was sufficient enough to make the stall keeper rethink his position.

“What are you offering me girlie?”

Vala bit her lip. He had actually listened to her? “3 pinions.” Vala sputtered out; it was a reasonable price for a journal. “I’ll gi-give you 3 pinions for it. That’s my final offer!”

“Its obvious you have no experience in bartering then, if you think you can just offer 3 pinions as a final offer. I’m having a good sale day today; I’ll give it to you for 8 pinions. That’s fair right? Its what I offered to the last customer, and she was an Avora.”

“What about 8 pinions?” Vala squeaked out, building up her courage. The man just gave her a look and she broke. He raised a single eye brow as Vala pulled out her purse. She drew open the string, slowly, as if the action pained her. With her two fingers she pulled out ten pinions, one by one, placing it into the shopkeeper’s outstretched hand.

Price Listings :
Straight from the Master Price List
Book, Blank
3 gm
Last edited by Vala on April 29th, 2011, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Vala on April 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

“How much?” Vala asked, holding up a three basic quills and an ink vial, filled with blank ink.

“3 Pinions.”

“Seriously?” Vala asked incredulously.

“With the utmost sincerity.” The stall keeper drawled sarcastically.

“This is worth no more than 1 pinion.”

“I’m actually being sincere – not trying to gyp you, honest.” Vala narrowed her eyes at him. “Don’t look at me like that, you already haggled for the journal. “I’m being honest. You’ll find the same price at any other stall.”

Too tired, to fight after the earlier haggle with the journal, Vala just agreed. She had at least tried… no, she wouldn’t let herself be taken advantage of so easily. “2 pinions!” She cried out, a crazed look in her eyes.

“Fine! Just take them.” The stall keeper was tired too. “Thank you for your patronage.” The Avora said stonily.

Vala took her purchases, stuck out her tongue, and scuttled away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price Listings :
Straight from the Master Price List

~ Quill 5 CM
~ Ink Vial 1 GM
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on April 9th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Sneaking into a secluded corner in the far back of the Enclave, Vala set up her writing station. She carefully opened her new vial of ink to her right, right beside a clean cloth to wipe her quills and dab at any splotches. In her lap she held her journal opened to the first page with a new quill in hand, she kept the other two beside the ink vial and cloth.

Vala bit her lip excitedly, squealing in delight as the nib made its first scratch upon the fresh Vellum...

oo0oo

Vala's Journal - Ina

1st of Spring, 511 AV

Bought a new journal today. And a new set of pens and ink.
Burned 10 Pinions, but I think its worth it.

The quality of this book is amazing. The paper feels like silk; it makes my fingertips feel spoiled. And the ink just flows onto the page, I haven't a blotch... never mind. The ink I bought is great quality as well. (note to self: never forget to cap the ink bottle) Wow, I really need to work on my calligraphy/handwriting. Its like chicken scratch; I feel ashamed of myself.

I'm not sure what to write; this is my first journal. I hope I don't slack and stop writing... (note to self: if I miss writing in my journal, for whatever reason, I have to run 1, no 2 miles) I think thats a proper punishment.

So... oh yeah, I got ice for an Avora man today; he was a mason; and he was nice enough to give me 2 pinions for my trouble. I also met up with Val Imsun. He looked bored today; which makes sense because he probably doesn't have much to do now with the gates closed and all that.

Once I get assigned a steady job with a proper schedule I'll try to visit him again; I really should, since I did promise him and all.

I feel like after all my talks with him, I'm finally at a conversational level with my Common; he even taught me some Lhavitian phrases last week.

Well its getting late; I should get some sleep so I'm well rested when I visit the Valtarian for my assignment tomorrow.

One more thing, I've named this journal Ina.

One, one more thing, I wrote a little poem for Priskil: I wrote it after thinking that the Gods, especially Priskil, would appreciate hearing something other than a plea for help or a standard "You are amazing, and the best god ever, blah blah blah..." Prayer. Anyway, here it is, I'll try to write a longer/better one when I have more time.

Of hope and radiance, you fill in me,
Priskil; And of the warmth and love,
you bestow, my heart is filled; And we,
your followers, do seek your guidance from above.

OOC :
I wrote this with my left hand, (I am right handed) so that I can show a progression of Vala's handwriting.

(I hope Priskil doesn't get offended from my horrible script, I do mean well. From now on I promise to practice until I can make pretty scrolls for her.)

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on April 29th, 2011, 2:08 am

38th Day of Spring, 510 AV

Barely able to get out of bed, bruised black and blue, Vala reached for the journal hidden under her pillow. She began to read, her eyes swollen and puffy from crying. She continued to skim the chicken scratch, trying not to get the pages wet. When she reached the day before, to the point written, “Not feeling well... off to go find the Dek from earlier... will try to be home by the first bell of the morning.” Vala began to sob uncontrollably.

She wasn’t too badly hurt, mostly bruises galore and a thin, scabbed up knife cut on her neck. She knew she needed a bath and a filling meal. She really didn’t want to go to work today, but if she skipped she knew the consequences that would befall a chiet like her.

Vala wanted, needed to get some of her feelings, her pain, down on paper before she could even begin to think about the rest of the day.  

Blue bead. He has a blue bead earing. And a blue cloth, tied at the end of his braid - on the right side. Shoulder length hair. Tall, much taller than me. He could pick me up easily - and throw me around.

His face, his features are burned into my memory.

A salty tear fell, blurring the letters on the page. It was a large tear, blurring several characters. Vala was so distraught and her hand so shaky, she didn’t even bother writing calligraphically, her letters were barely legible as it was.

I'm in so much pain. I used up, nearly all of my bandages last night. I'm not sure if I have the funds to even buy anymore to replenish my stocks.

Vala stifled the urge to scream, her frustration bottling up inside her, threatening to rip her very skin from the inside out. With her right hand gripping the quill with deathly force, and her knees precariously squeezing, holding the ink pot, she ran her left hand through her tangled locks, pulling the hair out of her very scalp, at each violent tug.

I need to get out. I can't go out. I need to go to work. I need to eat. I'm in so much pain.

Vala winced when she had to move her arm back to the beginning of the next line. She was pretty badly bruised and it was painful to breath. She was lucky not to have cracked any ribs from her adventure. Not that she was thankful.

Was I wrong Priskil? Was I? Vala scribbled furiously. He deserved it. I know he did. That Dek didn't do his job, it wasn't my fault he was a failure. He needed to be put in his place; I was doing the right thing. Right? Vala crossed out the last word, a little too violently, making a tiny rip in the vellum, as well as a bleeding ink stain. Vala tried to wipe it away with her tear wetted sleeve, only moving the stain around even further. She shook her head, ignoring the angry black blot, to spill more of her rage from inside onto paper. I wasn't hurting him. I had every right. He was a Dek. The Endal had no right to treat me like that, him and his blue bead. Why am I a chiet? I deserve more than this meaningless existence. I should be a glassblower! I shouldn't be shelving books, picking up after those lazy Yasi. I should be working for the city, making beautiful things to be displayed. I DON’T' DESERVE THIS. This was all that Endal's fault. I shouldn't be in pain. He did this to me. He ruined my precious body. He bruised me black and blue. He scared my neck with his knife. He was out of line. I will get revenge!

Without even waiting for the ink to dry Vala slammed the journal closed and tossed it against the wall. She dressed herself in a vengeful flurry, blocking out the aches and pains. Running out of her room, slamming the door, ready to face the day with a new purpose.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on April 29th, 2011, 2:36 am

85th of Spring, 510 AV

Vala didn't bother looking up as her cheek was caressed by a gently breeze; she was far too lost in her own mind to care about the world. It took Vala a good three chimes before she noticed the shadow looming over her Vellum pages; more specifically: Kirna's shadow.

Vala's head snapped up as she gulped audibly, her quill slipping from her fingers. "Vala?" Asked the Assistant Head Librarian.

Work is so slow today. What is wrong with my light? Why is…

"What do you think you are doing?" Kirna frowned as she recognized the open book as Vala's personal journal. "Did you finish rebinding those books I had asked you to take care of?" Kirna set the large tome, she had been carrying, down on the counter of the reception desk, as she waited for Vala's excuse.

She was caught red handed. To lie would only have dug her a deeper grave, so going against every natural instinct - Vala told the truth. "Yes I did finish reglueing the bindings. The books are being compressed until everything finishes drying…" Vala knew she had to mention her indiscretion, but she still wasn't sure on the exact phrasing. "There hadn't been any patrons who needed my help in the past two bells so I thought it would be ok for me to practice my calligraphy until someone did need me… sorry?" Vala lowered her gaze in an attempt to appear truly guilty.

Kirna didn't buy the act for a second. "Then that's quite all right then - if it was meant to practice your calligraphy. Just consider that your break then. And then you can use your warmed up calligraphy skills to update the record book." Kirna gave a cheery, almost too cheery, smile before picking up her tome and walking off, leaving Vala to putter silently for a chime.

Already caught and assigned extra work to top it off, Vala had nothing to lose: might as well finish her journal entry; it was unlikely for Kirna to return after just having checked up on her. Vala looked over what she had written already.

85th of Spring, 511 AV

Quick Journal entry; I will write a full one later today.

I really need to buy some new quills. The three I bought the beginning of the season are so short and stubby from hundreds of dressings that I can barely hold on to them with a proper scribe's grip, any more. I'm actually writing now so that I can use the library's quills - not that I have anything of import to write… I just don't want to spend any more Pinions until I get my seasonal salary though. What if I needed something for an emergency?"

It was there the mostly legible font had been broken by a smudged ink blot, where Vala had lost herself in vindictive thoughts of the Endal who had forced her to use up nearly her entire store of bandages, which she would have to replenish one day… with her scarce, hard earned Pinions.

Simple work today - stuck behind reception desk. I'm getting better at rebinding: though that means so little seeing as its so easy to begin with.

I don't really have anything to say; I'm writing for the sake of writing. Actually I really need to practice the character X see? X That was one as a little better… X X X X X X X X X . I should stop. My flourishes are getting sloppier. My hand is also starting to cramp a little - quick break!"

Vala had filled up the rest of the page with mindless thought vomit with a focus on practicing certain character shapes. Vala quickly concluded her entry before she got to real work.

Kirna caught me slacking. Assigned to me more menial work… I miss working with glass. Vala carefully blew on the ink to speed up the drying before closing her journal, cleaning her quills, and capping the ink pot.

Vala hopped of the stool. The Inarta are known for their imposing stature, but Vala was really, really short. She never told anyone, but she was actually taller when she sat on the library stools behind the reception desk than when she was standing.

She walked over to the shelf full of drying books and pulled out one of the fillers. It was really tight (it was meant to compress…), Vala scratched herself with her nail. With the shelf not so packed Vala was able to slip out one of the broken books without much resistance. She had tied it shut with string to prevent the covers from flapping open but she, gently, pinched the binding to check if she had put enough glue in. It had been a few hours or so and the glue was starting to harden and to a more solid consistency. After checking a few more book bindings, Vala was content she had done her first job correctly, and moved on to her next task.

The Enclave's repair record book lay open to the side of the desk, right next to the pile of books that needed to be fixed and then writ down to be processed. Before Vala could whip out her trusty quill and ink pot and get started on writing down the endless piles of Book Titles and Author Names, Vala had to organize the books into piles: binding, page repair, water damage, etc.

Preferring to stand instead of sit, Vala pulled over a cart and began to break down the large mountain into smaller hills into the cart's shelves. Sometimes it was hard to determine what was what, Vala having to flip through the book and find what was wrong, other times it was really easy, i.e. the book was so waterlogged it could have been mistaken for a sponge. Vala took her time with the sorting, not wanting to make a mistake and miswrite in the record book (which would permanently display her incompetency). She also made sure to work very gently, as if caring for a baby (a cute one that she liked and didn't smell like puke), some of the books were in such horrid disrepair it would have been no surprise if they just fell apart in her hands. It only took a Vala around thirty chimes to sort through over fifty books: her quick eyes getting better at noticing patterns in book abuse.

A sigh escaped Vala's lips as she realized how much menial work was left to do.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Phoenix on May 1st, 2011, 9:38 pm

Vala

Negotiating- 5, Writing- 5, Calligraphy- 5, Book keeping- 5, Composition- 5

Knowing how to talk down a price, Getting the best for ones money, Taking pleasure in the simple things, Practicing ones writing, Getting beaten black and blue, Persevering through the bad, Slacking at work, Getting caught slacking, Trying to weasel out of trouble and failing

I enjoy the initiative that you take with your solos! They are quick and easy to read, while getting something accomplished at the same time. Keep up the good work!
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)