[Sanctuary] Welcoming In The New Year - A Celebration (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on March 16th, 2011, 3:43 am

Raiha found her first 'real' winter, as Kanikra called it, not to her liking. The cold, the wetness, the snow, the ice. She accepted it as being part of her adopted city, part of the cycle that came around as surely as dawn turned to day, and day turned to night. It took some adapting and layering. And more layering. Much to Uzima's annoyance, which influenced the falconer as much as she tried not to let it, she could not fly that hawk in the snow - so the goshawk flew around the mews and through the stables. But it wasn't hunting like they would do on Konti Isle.

But on the bright side, Raiha found, the end of the season meant newer and brighter things are on the horizon. This coming Spring would mark her first year in Riverfall, and Spring itself meant she could happily and comfortably go back outside with lighter clothes. Kanikra merely scoffed at her and these trappings about comfort, but Raiha had handled it better than she expected her to, at any rate, and so it didn't merit a heaping of scorn. But because of the bodies on the Veranda, Raiha had gone from having many layers to dressing fairly simply. Even if the Veranda was open, it would be busy with bodies a nd warm from the fire, and that would be enough. She wore her cotton shirt and one of her tiered skirts for the celebration - she liked her earthy tones today, and brightened up the greens and browns with a few bands of maroon. Her long white hair was plaited at the nape of her neck and tied off with a piece of rawhide cord. Between the hair and the shirt, her blessing from Akajia was hidden well.

Coming along with her, big and chunky, was her enormous grey and white Akinva Deerstalker. While he was intrigued about all the different canine scents, he'd gotten used to them, and despite his size and general defensive attitude about the place, he wasn't aggressive to other dogs, but merely perked his ears and lifted his head. Fooooood! Diallo was a beast. A well-behaved one, but a beast - he'd tackle a meal at any hour of the day or night, and he wasn't picky about it. He, like Asim, Raiha considered a walking stomach. Gold eyes took in everyone as she grinned at the other Akontak and got herself a cup of herbal tea, and purloined a meat roll to share with the dog. She spotted the other Akontak, and smiled a bit, lifting her tea in greeting at her before going and making herself comfortable where she could see everyone and people-watch, and help Kavala out if the Konti needed it - but she had prepared well, and this would run smoothly for a while yet.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 16th, 2011, 6:45 pm

ImageKavala linked hands with Murdoch and smiled at him. There was a strangeness about him, but she wasn't worried. This was her home and all her friends were around her. Strangers were welcome, especially on the new year. "Thank you, Murdoch. You are indeed kind. I will wear it someday, certainly. I hope that day comes soon." She said softly, and lead him into the crowd around the food tables. They bumped into quite a few people, and she carefully introduced him all around before she dropped his arm and pressed a plate into it. "Won't you break your fast with us. This is going to be an informal gathering, so we'll most likely be telling stories. I'm going to open with one and hope someone takes up after me." She said, gathering a plate and filling it with some of the raw or mildly cooked seafood which was all her stomach was telling her it'd accept at the moment.

She left Murdoch at the table to fill his plate and took a seat off to one side where she could watch the crowd. Then, carefully, she lifted her voice and began to speak.

"It is said that the first year, which no one remembers now except in stories and art, was one of hardship and confusion. Firsts are always the most difficult. The God of the Sea loved a creature that was born of pure song and took her into his fold. He blended his blood with hers and from that union all Konti sprang. But they did not come as humans come, one a year until the whole of the world is filled. No, the Konti came as the waves crash upon the shore and throw foam up in their wake. Girls, barely old enough to walk, staggered from the sea numbering a hundred. They looked at each other in confusion on that first day of days and then turned back to the sea and saw their father and mother standing there, held aloft by the wake of a mighty serpent. The Serpent was called KaKa'Kivastau. And some say he was even older than the Gods themselves. His name means 'the making' and where he swam life was created. It was him, our oldest mothers say, that made the Konti possible by weaving the love and the blood of a god and a seawraith and creating something new. And like a harvest, the girls were plucked from the sea and planted on the shores to make a life for themselves."
Kavala said softly, rocking back and forth in her chair and wondering if anyone was listening.

"They had no language, and this was a problem, for who can cooperate if they cannot communicate. So they learned to speak, first with their hearts, and later with their eyes, and finally with their mouths. They learned to forage in the sea to ease their hunger. They learned to build upon the land to shelter their bodies. After language came writing and after writing comes learning and recording and remembering. It is said the Konti love the sea for our father, have gills for our mother, but bear our scales for KaKa'Kivastau's gift of life. And from the first one hundred, there came another hundred more. And from them came even more until we are five thousand strong. From nothing but a hundred girls on the sand with no history and no past came a rich culture and traditions unique to nowhere else in the world but Mura."
Kavala paused, then lifted the glass of wine she held in her hands.

"We are few here. And while we have a history, each and every one of us, the future is ours for the recording. Let us take a lesson from the Konti and their first daughters. You can build something from nothing. You can find common ground and make the world a better place. You can grow from no one to everyone in just a few seasons. This is what we do here at Sanctuary, whether we know it or not." She said with a ringing voice.

"And because this is the new year, there is no better time to start. Let us remember other starts in other places. Who will tell the next story?"
Kavala asked.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 17th, 2011, 1:18 am

Riki listened, amazed at Kavala's story. He had listened to storytellers back in Endrykas but they most talked about the story of the drykas and their striders. Riki considered telling one of the many tales he had heard about his race but he decided on a different one instead. He clapped with a shy smile as Kavala finished her story. "That was wonderful Kavala. If it is okay, I would like to tell the next story." He looked down at Sadie and smiled. He thought back to the story one of the older storytellers in Edrykas told him when he had returned to the camps with Sadie's mother, Flower. Both Flower and Sadie were Jivatalus Ghost Dogs. They were quite interesting little hounds for many reasons but one stood out the most. They could detect ghosts. This trait had earned them quite a good about of myths and stories, ones that Riki had tried hard to memorize. He knew he would forget parts, he wasn't a skilled storyteller. What he forgot he would make up. He was sure Sadie would not mind. Besides, in was all in the nature of good storytelling.

"I'm unsure about how many of you have met my dear companion Sadie. She is a Jivatalus Ghost Dog. Her breed it quite interesting. For one they are terrific companions but there is another trait that they hold which sets them apart from the other canines of Mizahar." Riki smiled at Sadie, patting his leg to get her to scamper over to his side. He ruffled her thick grey coat as he greeted her. "There are many stories that try to explain why these little creatures can see the spirits that have passed. Some say it is magic. That a great Spritist found a single grey pup, plain as can be, and decided to share his magic with her. Others claim that they house the souls of Spiritsts passed who refused to give up their art in their next life. Those are not my story though. My story speaks of Gods, or on Goddess in particular, Dira, the Goddess of Death. Although Dira does not need help in her quest to guide the passed souls she wanted to have a spirit run free through Mizahar who could see her world. She wondered for years about who she would share her world with. There were a lot of things to keep in mind. What creature could be trusted to seeing the spirits who had passed? Humans and other beings with the ability of speech could not be trusted, not without having to work a bit to learn the ed and flow of Spiritism. She wanted the humans and humanoid races to understand but she could not trust them. They would talk and boast about the ghosts they encountered and share their secrets. Dira also worried the ghosts might even become a bit needy and begin pestering the ghost-seers to fulfill their last wishes or exact revenge. Ghosts were tricky at times and quite often they were angry. The ability to perceive the ethereal beings would have to be given to a creature who would not be bothered by the calls of the ghosts. Then a thought came to the deadly queen. 'Even better, a creature who cannot understand the ghosts calls.' With that thought she turned her sights to the animal kingdom." Riki's eyes looked around to see who was listening to his tale. He worried a bit. What if his new friends did not like stories of Dira? They were healers after all.

"This would need Caiyha's assistance though. Dira could not pluck an animal from the wild queens domain without her permission. So Dira left Black Rock to have a meeting with Caiyha. The pair met in the Sea of Grass, Dira flanked by her two Jackals, and Caiyha with a bear, a snake, a cat, and a crow, to symbolize her Alvina children. 'Dira, why do you seek one of my creatures? I know it is not because you seek help to pass the spirits.' Dira smiled at the wild Goddess and placed a land on Before's, her black Jackal, head. 'I want to show a soul the world that I see. To know the world that exists all around them but is never seen.' Caiyha was a bit reluctant to let one of her creatures see Dira's world. 'What creature do you want to share this world with? Bears, Cats, Horses?' Dira pondered the thought and then her eyes onto her jackals. Why had she not thought of it before? Dogs were perfect to share this sight with. They were naturally loyal and they were a popular companion for the sentient races of Mizahar. 'Caiyha, what about a breed of dog? They are coveted by the races of Mizahar and they see all souls equally whether they are good or evil.' Caiyha thought about his request and agreed to do help with the creation of the dogs. With the combined effort of Dira and Caiyha a litter of dogs were conceived. They were beautiful creatures of Caiyha while showing the subtle grace of Dira in their grey, black, and white fur. To test the fact, Dira called a ghost forward to appear before the pups. When their eyes saw the ghost the yipped and barked, all trying to race over to what they saw as their new friend." Riki kissed Sadie's forehead with a smile. Her tail wagged happily at his affection.

"Soon the dogs had become part of Mizahar, spreading to every corner of our wonderful lands. They see the world most of us cannot see and bear the gift with grace. I often wonder what Sadie sees but Dira's gift was meant for her eyes only. I follow a different path, keeping people one step ahead of death. She truly is a strange companion for a healer but you know what they say, opposites attract." Sadie let out a bark and rolled onto her back, showing her white belly. "Hey, flip yourself over silly. No one here wants to give you a belly rub just because your people were the subject of my tale." With a huff Sadie flipped over and padded over to Diallo. Riki walked after her only to be met by the dog's companion, a tall blue woman. Sadie sniffed at the Deerstalker hoping to make a new friend. "Hello, Sadie is a little friendly at times. I'm Riki Stormheart by the way." He held a hand out to the woman hoping she would take kindly to his dog's sight intrusion.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Murdoch on March 18th, 2011, 5:09 am

Murdoch obliged his pretty hostess, walking around the grounds with her and nodding as she introduced him around. All were met with a quiet smile, though he made no effort to separate himself from Kavala.

When they finally reached the food tables and she said her goodbye, he simply bowed and brushed a kiss against the knuckles of her hand, then took the plate with another mischievous smirk and went about filling the plate.

And fill it he did, like a man who'd known starvation and would not gladly relish another encounter with it. Meats and breads, and a handful of apples that were a bit mealy with the long storage but no less appetizing to him. Then he found a place to seat himself, and listened to the stories.

Gods, they told of, and the listening made him stop and scratch at the mark along the back of his neck. Gods, well, he still was not comfortable with, though they had saved and hindered him enough times that he did not doubt their influence. It did not mean he relished their stories, not even in the coming of the new year.

By the time Riki had finished his tale, Doc had plowed through all but the last apple, leaving only three cores on his plate as he set it on the floor beside him. He was never good at storytelling - better at convincing a person of some scheme or other, not simply entertaining. But this was a new world, and he would have to make a place for himself in it until he could gather himself to make the long trip back to Syliras. And the money he had hidden away there, not to mention the life he'd left behind.

He cleared his throat once to see if anyone else would offer up a story, then climbed to his feet, the last apple tossed up and caught again in one hand as the other laid casually in his pocket.

"There was a boy," he began slowly, eyes focused on the apple as he tossed it again and caught it midair. "An ordinary sort of boy - human," he chuckled, eyes dancing around the room at the myriad races represented here, mostly those who hailed from the White Isle. "And clever enough, though no one had ever bothered to put a book in his hand. His father was a sailor, and oft away on voyage, and his mother was a quiet woman who left him to his own devices. He spent many a day dreaming of adventure, playing a pirate on the high seas, or a mighty hunter stalking the forests, or even one of the famed Syliran Knights battling an evil foe," he said with a smirk, miming a sword blow against an unseen opponent.

"One day he was playing in the caverns near his home, pretending he was one of the people who hid beneath the earth when the Valterrian shook the world, when he stumbled and fell down an earthen shaft. It was a good twenty feet to the top, and though the boy tried, in his panic he could not scramble out of the hole." He paused to take a bite of the apple, ebony teeth piercing the flesh as easily as any, and chewed for a moment.

"Now the boy, having been taught proper piety, began calling out to the gods for help," he said, raising a finger to point for emphasis. "Semele! he cried out, Save me from the earth I'm trapped in! And though he screamed, he was given no answer." Another bite was taken, and he chewed a moment before continuing. "Next he called on Eyris. Sweet Eyris, give me the wisdom to figure a way out of here! And though he screamed and swore his fealty should help be offered, no ideas came to him. Finally, as darkness closed in on him and despair gnawed at his thoughts, he sat himself down at the bottom of the hole and took a breath. If I am to die here, he said to himself, let me do it with dignity. I'll not beg the gods for salvation any longer."

Another bite was taken, nearly decimating the apple, and he held up the core of it as if to examine its perfection. "As the boy sat in the bleak darkness, the despair left him, and the fear and panic as well. The gods had not noticed him, had not heard his pleas in the dark of the earth, for he was but a small boy of no import. His fate was not to be great, his influence would not spread across the earth, nor would his hands ever do the work of the gods. He was destined for a common life, and therefore destined for a common death as well. He began to understand this as he sat alone in the darkness - and it pissed him right off," he said with a grin, chuckling as he shook his head a little. "His anger lit the fire of his own stubbornness, and with a cry of frustration he came to his feet and began clawing at the walls. He soon managed to dig out fingerholds, and then he hauled himself up and started digging another spot to grasp. Hours he spent, until his nails were cracked and left in crevices in the rocky earth, until his fingers were nothing more than nerveless, bloody things. And as the night passed into morning and the first rays of light poured into the opening of the caverns, the boy finally hauled himself over the edge of the pit and collapsed onto the ground."

Murdoch paused, hoping for a bit of dramatic effect, and also hoping that he hadn't lost his audience entirely. "There are many," he said quietly, letting his glance flow across the room to each of the listeners, "who survive because of the mercy of the gods. But there are many thousands more who live only because they refuse to give up and die." He gave one last dry smile to the room, then nodded and went to resume his seat - taking the last bite of the apple and tossing the core onto his plate with the others.
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on October 19th, 2011, 5:07 pm

ooc: Since no one has kept posting... I'm going to turn it in for XP.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Stranger on November 7th, 2011, 6:28 am

XP Award!

Kavala:
Cooking +2
Storytelling + 2
Hostessing +4

Lore:
Practicing Hospitality
Faithful in All Things
Knowledge of Dog Breed: Jivatalus Ghost Dog

Mizuriel:

Lore:

Caring for a Daughter
Festivities of Riverfall
Knowledge of Konti Origins

Daeva:

Animal Husbandry +1

Lore:
Looking the Part

Riki Stormheart:
Animal Husbandry +1
Storytelling +1

Lore:
Fesitvities of Riverfall

Murdoch:
Seduction +2
Storytelling +1

Lore:
Charming Through and Through
Festivities of Riverfall

Lakara:

Lore:
Festivities of Riverfall

Raiha:
Animal Husbandry +1

Lore:
Festivities of Riverfall
Adapting to New Climates

NOTES:

As ever, if you think I overlooked something, pm me. I'm sorry to see this end so abruptly. I would have liked to have read more stories. :) Great job setting the mood and keeping it up throughout your posts. Great interaction and writing.
Stranger
Candy Maker

Words: 31827
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 1:48 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous