[Sanctuary] First Blood of Spring (Ixal & Sanc Staff)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on March 7th, 2011, 5:27 am

OOC: Continued from The Sanctuary. Please note The Sanctuary is outside of the city gates by about a mile or so. It's just a short walk down the road from Riverfall's main entrance.

Ixal's Post :
6th Day of Spring, 511 AV

If Ixal was in bad shape when he walked through the city gates, his present state as he entered The Sanctuary was nothing short of dreadful. His wrists were scabbed and bleeding periodically from being bound, his torso torn and scratched, and he looked like he hadn't bathed in better than a week. None of this mattered to him in the least.

One of two beings he had ever been unselfish toward rested in his arms, whimpering gently. This was all he was focused on. "See, Aurora. We have arrived, and I will pay whatever I must to see you better again," he said in his Vani tongue, ignoring the shaking in his arms. The sled dog was terribly heavy for him, about eighty pounds was being carried by his 5'7 frame, and it was a wonder he hadn't stopped to rest or dropped her in his endeavor. He would never allow that to happen.

He sank to his knees upon reaching the entrance, gently setting Aurora upon the ground. She had a long, nasty gash on her right side that stretched from her right fore-shoulder nearly to her tail. It bled through the tunic Ixal had tied around it, turning the dull green into a deep ruby. His eyes flashed deep blue with concern and sadness as he saw the look of pain and defeat in the dog's eyes. "You will be healed soon," he promised his guard and companion.

He patted her gently upon the head and stood on shaky legs, looking around. "Hello?" he called, now in common tongue. It wasn't very good, and was generally spoken in a musical, Vani manner, but he'd gotten better throughout his travels. "I need an animal healer, with quickness!"

Timestamp: 6th of Spring, 511 AV

They were used to all sorts coming through the gates. Most wanted to buy horses or board them, though some had kelvic issues. As for the rest it was horses with colic, cows bound up, and creatures having run-ins with wildlife. Sometimes dogs were having problems welping puppies or a person requested healing too poor to make it up to the actual healing center and be taken in. Bloody men were a new situation.

Regardless, the staff never worried about anything but getting whatever was needed done. They requested no payment up front, asked no questions, and generally swung into action. Kavala was on duty, heavy with child though, still waiting for the birth of her first child. But she had a great pair of lungs on her and didn't hesitate to call out. "Riki! Lakara! Mizuriel... Daeva... I need all of you right now." She announced, hurrying up to the man and laying a hand on his shoulder gently. Kavala didn't need the rest of the staff to heal the dog. The man himself, though, needed lots of work and she didn't know if he was going to remain standing too much longer. She pulled off a shawl she had drapped over her shoulders and laid it down on the grass and dirt of the courtyard to make a makeshift clean spot so the man could lay the dog down.

"Put the dog down, gently. We'll move her when she's stable. I think you'd better sit down too." Kavala said, turning and calling to her lead groom who was passing by. "Aweston, please go grab my medical bag. Hurry." Kavala said with a calm voice.

If the man put the dog gently down, Kavala would begin work immediately.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lakara on March 7th, 2011, 8:25 am

She hadn't been at the Sanctuary long, but the Konti already felt herself settling into the busy lifestyle here. Working as a healer's assistant was completely different to how she had imagined, but she was growing to love it. On this particular day, she was meandering through the Sanctuary, deciding which area to check into first, when she heard a yell from a little way off.
"Riki! Lakara! Mizuriel... Daeva... I need all of you right now."
She spun on her heel and ran to the sound of Kavala's voice.

When the Konti came into sight, she raced in her direction. She was with a man and what appeared to be an injured dog. Though the man didn't look too much better, she realized upon drawing closer. She stopped beside Kavala.
"What can I do?"
A worried frown creased her brow as she glanced between the three. Sure, she was still learning, but she was determined to be of use, especially in a situation like this.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Words: 29603
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ixal on March 7th, 2011, 12:54 pm

OOC: Thanks for the tip, I'm still quite new here. :3

Ixal nodded gratefully to the Konti, setting Aurora very gently down onto the shawl. The dog whimpered again, and her breathing had become shallow. "I thank you, milady. I will be fine. My concern lies with her," he said, gesturing toward the poor creature laid out before him. Nevertheless, he did take a couple of steps back and sat down to watch them work.

Taking a moment to absorb his surroundings for the first time, he noticed how beautiful the place actually was. It reminded him of his farm back home, albeit with far less snow. The smell of horses was somewhat comforting to him, and he began to relax a bit for the first time in two days. It felt nice.

Ixal nodded in greeting to the second Konti to arrive, making a mental note to do what he could to thank them once they had finished their task. He did need to purchase a horse and tack, but he would ask about that when the time was a bit more appropriate.

"When I was small, living near Avanthal, we raised many horses. A time a traveler traded us a Bloodbane, we had for weeks when it attacked our finest mare upon breeding. Infection claimed her. I do not want this to happen to Aurora."
His eyes turned a deeper blue, nearly black, as they began to swell with tears.
Ixal
Narcissist Extraordinaire.

Words: 5396
Joined roleplay: March 6th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Kavala on March 7th, 2011, 4:16 pm

ImageAs she worked on the dog, Kavala spoke quietly to Lakara. The other Konti was learning to be a Healer and while Kavala didn't exactly know her well, she trusted that she knew some of the very basics. Once the man had gently set the dog down, Kavala did what every healer was supposed to do. First, they took a deep calming breath, and began an assessment. As she worked on the dog, she instructed the other Konti in what she was doing so that along with actually doing their jobs, they were both teaching and learning as well.

"The first rule of any situation is to remain calm."
She told them both. Then in a firm voice, she carefully asked the man a question. "What happened to you both? And can we have your names? I'm Kavala and this is Lakara." With that, she grew silent long enough to let him answer and then continued on to the next step.

"Lakara, look to the gentleman. The first thing you need to do is assess his wounds. Ask him what hurts, where he took blows, make sure he bares his skin to you. Sometimes they tell us the truth, sometimes they do not. Don't let his words guide your assessment or mislead it. They are added information only. Touch him, but make sure he is willing and is not aggressive towards you. If he is, we will leave him for the men. Catalog his wounds mentally. Decide which ones are serious and need immediate attention, and which can wait. He's still talking and seemingly coherent, so hes in better shape than his dog. Gather information as you assess. He's got bruising and cuts on his wrists from bindings. His hands are thick with callouses which look like they came from hours holding the reins, but driving reins not riding reins because the callouses are too wide. Look for bruising or swelling which might indicate broken bones. Be particularly mindful of his scalp and beneath his hair. Look for blood there from being struck or perhaps falling. At first glance he looks beaten. I'd say Vantha or part because of his eyes. Young. Early twenties. Perhaps robbed since he comes in with nothing but his dog? No one in their right mind would leave a camp around here unattended. Be really mindful of shock. We loose more patients to shock than anything else."
Kavala said, helping Lakara get going on the right track.

"Once you have your assessment to your satisfaction, use your gnosis to begin cleaning and sterilizing his wounds unless he has something severe that needs immediate attention or rejects the assistance. Once you have him a bit cleaner, work on his bruising and keep him warm. He'll need a bath. I can smell him from here."
She added, not unkindly but factually. Kavala was clinical when she was working, not necessarily sparing anyone's feelings.

Aweston returned, about then, with her healing bag and Kavala nodded. He also carried two blankets. One he left with Kavala and one with Lakara. Kavala smiled her thanks and sent him back on his way.

It wasn't as if Ixal wasn't there. It was a teacher instructing her student while she worked on the more severe of the two. The dog had indeed had a rough time of it. Kavala looked over the animal, gently pulling the bloody tunic off the wound and tossing it aside. Careful hands probed the wounds, hissing in anger because they looked to be inflicted by weapons not by animals. "This looks like a sword or dagger cut, not anything done by animal claws. It wasn't a glassbeak." She said tightly. Kavala wasn't surprised though. Not really. People were far worse than animals, especially humans. Especially males. They raided and slaved and stole for a living. Rarely, one saw a Konti or an Akalak thieving. Most often the cause of trouble was human.

Kavala whispered soothing words to the dog, stroking in her long fur, and made sure she took a good long look at her far side as well, the one she was laying on. Then, the Konti who was awkwardly pregnant, shifted and laid her hands over the slash starting up by the neck. She invoked the power of the two marks on her ankle, the flying serpents, and energy poured from her hands. There was a sudden warmth in the air and the smell of something almost unwordly as she did so. The dog shuddered and light poured from Kavala's fingers, filling the wound, as she traced its length with her touch. It cleansed out the wound and began sealing the cut while taking care of the contusions that had resulted from the violent parting of the dogs flesh.

Kavala next went to work on the dogs scalp. She'd obviously taken a few blows to the head and there was deep bruising and some lacerations. The Konti worked from the nose of the dog to the tip of her tail, carefully soothing bruises and smaller cuts, healing them over with the energy of Rak'keli's gift. If any of the other healers go there, she'd let them help out and take over on the dog, now that her life was less in jeopardy. She noticed one other thing as well, the front left leg had a rotated patella, probably from whatever fight she'd been in. It'd need to be healed as well and so Kavala took extra time when she got to it to work on that leg so the dog could move without a limp and without the fear of the leg being unstable or painful in the future.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lakara on March 7th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Lakara was still standing just behind Kavala when she began to speak, so she stepped forwards and knelt between the man and his dog. Not directly between though, just off to the side so as not to block the man's view of his companion. She leaned forwards a little to pick up the soft words the Konti spoke to her, nodding her head in a way of greeting to the man when Kavala introduced them.

When she was instructed to look over the man, Lakara took a breath to calm herself. While she knew she could heal an animal sufficiently, she had never healed a human before. Well, the odd scratch yes, but never someone with injuries such as his. She was grateful then, when Kavala ran through exactly what it was she should do. She made sure to listen to every word, amazed by the amount of information the Konti had gotten in the short time she had seen this man. When she was sure that Kavala had finished with the instructions she made to stand again, though was momentarily distracted when the tunic was removed from the poor animals side. She sucked in a breath before finally standing and stepping over to the man.

She knelt beside him before she spoke.
"You need to tell me - us - what has happened to you. Could you please tell me where it hurts the most so I can take a look?"
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 7th, 2011, 8:38 pm

OOCSorry if I am coming in too late
A call from Kavala reached Riki's ears as he sat in the grass with Sadie. She was chewing on a stick she had found outside of the Sanctuary as Riki stared out into the Cyphrus sky. He bolted to his feet and patted his leg, urging Sadie to follow. "Come on baby, we are needed elsewhere. I'm sure your new friend there will be here when we are done." Sadie looked down at the stick with sad eyes and then got to her paws reluctantly. Even if Riki had a job to do she wanted to return to her playing.

As Riki jogged to the place where he had heard the voice he spotted Kavala, Lakara, and a pair who he had not seen before. It was a dark haired man with a dog at his side. He ran to Kavala's side and kneeled down next to her. "Sorry I was late. Is there anything I can do?" He looked over the dog. She was a bloodied mess to say the least. His bright green eyes turned sad at the sight. "Poor girl, she is a girl right?" Riki was quite the fan of dogs. It was evident to see through his canine partner Sadie. He watched silently as Kavala worked on the dog. He smiled, knowing she was in good hands with a healer as skilled as Kavala. In his little time at the Sanctuary he had already come to know Kavala's skill and he idolized it in a way.

"Hello, I am Riki. Your dog is quite safe in Kavala's hands. Are you okay?" Riki smiled at the man and extended his hand in greeting. He could see the man was a bit roughed up, although not as much as his canine friend. "Don't worry, I'll help you. Everything will be alright."
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ixal on March 7th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Ixal nodded at Kavala's instruction to remain calm. He didn't have the will or energy to panic, even if it would have been a normal reaction for him. His head was dizzy and his body was quite weak and dehydrated from the long, tiring hike he had taken. He felt like he was on fire. "I am Ixal, my friend is Aurora," he replied to Kavala.

Although he didn't understand everything that was said, he was very, very impressed with the accuracy of Kavala's immediate assessment of his situation. She was very clearly well-versed and experienced in healing, and he was very grateful that he had ended up in her care. He sighed with relief as Aurora began to improve.

He turned to Lakara, who looked a bit uneasy, and offered her a slight smile. "I will not fight you, do as you need to." He inhaled deeply, fighting to keep awake; he was exhausted from his efforts. "You are correct, Kavala, and very wise. It was no beast who attacked. The cut is from a blade. Aurora is a fiercely loyal guard, she survived only because she was too harmed to do more." He thought for a moment, forming what he wanted to say in his head in an effort to make it make more sense to them. He decided to work on his Common while he was near the city.

"I drive horses. Travelers take rides with me, it is how I earn my coin. I picked up two humans along the road to Riverfall, they said they would pay me when we got to the city. I camped ten miles outside of the city walls, it was dark. I woke to my wrists being bound. I tried to fight them but they... hit my head. Causing blackout. I awoke and all was gone aside from Aurora. They stole my carriage, with my horse. My dear, dear Fei."
He hung his head in sadness, his voice shaking near the end. "If you find a black Sleigh Horse for trade, it may be her. She has been mine for eight years and only replies to Vanti language."

He sighed once more. Looking up, he noticed Riki racing over to him. "Yes, she is female. My head pains me. My wrists bleed. That is the worst of it. Thank you for your kindness, I am humbled."
Ixal

Character sheet

Postby Mizuriel on March 7th, 2011, 10:30 pm

OOCMe and my bud don’t get anywhere too late, you people just started too early. xD Seriously now, I was in class for most of today so I couldn’t really post earlier. If I am not supposed to join, nudge me about it and I will remove my post. :) Me and Riki have worked it out so that he helps Kavala and I help Lakara, hopefully that fits into your idea of the thread guys.

Mizuriel was just about done scolding Sam on disappearing alone around the place most of the time, when he heard Kavala’s voice. Nudging quickly, he picked up his healer’s kit and ran out right after he told Samantha to sit put. He knew she probably won’t listen to him and will follow him soon, but he did not have time to think about that now.

He got there just in time to already see Lakara talking to the man and Riki standing next to the wounded animal with Kavala. Approaching the group, he waved slowly, inspecting and analyzing the situation as he closed in. It was not hard for him to decide where he should focus his help. Nodding, he spoke softly: “I think it is for the best if Riki helps with the animal, I would not like the dog to get lesser treatment for my inexperience” he went to Lakara’s side, rolling up his sleeves.

“I guess you will be working with me for now” he smiled softly as he said those words, turning around to see if he had interrupted a plan which was already set into motion differently. He heard no complaints so he turned back to the two that were closer to him, speaking again: “Hopefully I am not intruding, I will do my best to help with the examination Lakara. And hello sir, I am Mizuriel” he sighed at his weird order of manners, but still focused on the task at hand. Waiting for the man to answer he caught himself looking at the woman for one moment too long before he finally shook his head to the other side, blushing slightly.

When the man finally answered, Mizuriel found out his name was Ixal. It was a weird name, but he was hardly the one to talk. “Once we finish checking you up, I figure you will need a bath” turning to Lakara he added: “I do it, you do it, or we both go?” he smirked at the thought of bathing a fully grown man, but he had done stranger things in the past.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lakara on March 7th, 2011, 11:00 pm

OOCPlan sounds fine to me Mizuriel. And I finally worked out how to make my posts pretty (:
Lakara nodded and shifted closer to Ixal when he spoke directly to her. She gently took ahold of his left wrist, just above his wounds and examined it carefully for a quick assessment. Though her attention was once again drawn away from the man as a new set of footsteps hurried over. It was Riki, another healer of the Sanctuary, followed by Mizuriel not long after. She didn't really know either of the two well enough to know how skilled their healing was, but any help is good help.
"Thank you, Mizuriel." She gave him a smile, and motioned for him to take care of Ixal's wrists before returning her attention to the injured man.

She smiled before speaking softly.
“You need to tell me exactly what hurts.”
She then reached up and gently placed her hand on the back of his head, just above his nape. She was feeling for any sensitive spots, blood or lacerations. Her touch was incredibly gentle, it wouldn't hurt him at all. Unless of course an area was so sensitive that a feather would cause pain.

She spared another quick glance back to Mizuriel.
"Depending on the outcome, we shall see."
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ixal on March 8th, 2011, 6:03 am

The beating to the head had sent Ixal's mind adrift, and the pounding in his head was as distracting as it was agonizing. It had been getting steadily worse since the influx of people had arrived. He turned to Lakara. "Here, is painful, difficult to breathe," he told her, pointing to his lower chest. There were three long, shallow lacerations spanning his torso in a strange arc, and his ribcage was bruised. "My back, ruined. My head is worst now, it is hard to think."

Ixal blinked at Mizuriel, surprised at how quickly their team had come into action. It was truly an impressive effort. It reminded him of his days back in Avanthal at the Hold. Why am I thinking about that place so much today? he silently wondered. He'd left for a reason, and had been trying to push it from his immediate thoughts with a bit of success in the two years he'd been gone. Perhaps he was a little homesick, after all. The warmer months never suited him.

The warm spring sun beat down on them, temporarily blinding him. As Lakara's hand grazed the right side of his head just above his ear, pain shot through his head in great waves. He hissed, recoiling from her touch on instinct. "This is where I was hit, I now recall" he said, his eyes flashing red with pain and rage. "I can bathe myself, thank you," he added in, not wishing to offend them but uncomfortable with the thought of a complete stranger bathing him.
Ixal

Character sheet

Next