Closed The Vow

Cheva shows herself at Madeira's wedding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

The Vow

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 3rd, 2021, 9:06 pm

22nd of Spring, 521
The morning of Madeira and Chiona’s wedding started with prayers.

On her knees in the back room of the Koten Temple, beside her wife-to-be and surrounded by the family she would today call hers, Madeira wondered who she was supposed to pray to. Of her personal pantheon, it seemed almost blasphemous to ask Dira and Sagallius for their blessings on a marriage, and Ionu had never felt so far away. She supposed she could pray to the Lhavitian sky gods, Syna, Leth, and their fallen Zintia, for good fortune in their city. But even as the thought was formed the words wouldn't come. She had lived under their presence for three years and they still felt like foreign gods.

She snuck a glance at Chiona from under her lashes. The Dusk heir had never looked more beautiful. Still and quiet with her head lowered over her clasped hands, her loose auburn hair tumbling over her shoulders, woven through with white and red flowers. The dress pooled around her was as crisp and white as new fallen snow, and about as lifeless.

Madeira hated the pristine white dresses they both wore almost as much as she hated the quiet prayer. Perhaps that was the Avalad in her that demanded her gods be worshiped out loud, that insisted devotion was something that required more than meditation and placid thought. She longed to celebrate this occasion in the wild costumes her people loved, and to run into this momentous change joyously, with all of reality twisting around her as if to make way for her new life. But she was not an Avalad anymore, she had to remember. She belonged to Lhavit now.

It was only when Chiona opened her eyes and covertly smiled that Madeira realized she had been staring.

Beautiful, her fiancé mouthed silently. Madeira smiled back, knowing it was true. The bright colors and harsh lines the Spiritist usually styled herself in had been brushed out and softened by the talented workers of the Starglow Spa. Her lips and cheeks were flushed a delicate pink, the purple rings around her eyes smoothed into a creamy white. Her lank blonde locks were sleek and shining beneath the tall, delicate silver crown that was her only adornment. The endless glass beads and silver thread in her dress refracted every drop of light to touch it, throwing it back around the room in great arcs of shattered light.

Sneak out?, Madeira mouthed back mischievously, her gloved fingers walking over her skirt and her eyes rolling to the door, miming a mad dash out of the temple and away. Runaway brides.

Chiona's lips thinned out in an attempt to stifle her giggle in the oppressive, meditative silence.

They smiled at each other from under their bowed heads, but there was something in Chiona that was suddenly sober. Madeira knew the woman had been unsure of this decision the moment she made it. It was not that they didn't care for each other, but theirs was not the kind of love that made life partners. It was Madeira who had convinced her that their union was what was best for everyone, that a political marriage was not only right, but necessary. Yet she knew the woman's heart still burned for someone else.

Madeira knew this because she was the one that had destroyed the relationship between Chiona Dusk and Lhelie Dawn, in order to swoop in and pluck the heartbroken Chiona from the ashes.

Taking a quick glance around the room, Madeira sneakily leaned in and kissed her fiancé tenderly. There was not a drop of guilt in the Spiritist. She wanted the Dusk's name and its heir, and now she had both. True love was for children and poetry.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Vow

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 3rd, 2021, 9:09 pm

"Seems our brides are getting restless. Let’s finish up here and begin the ceremony before they sneak away to consummate it."

Madeira and Chiona separated hastily, blushing furiously as Aldgare Dusk, the head of the family and Madeira's to-be father-in-law, chuckled merrily at their embarrassment. The next few chimes saw their officiant lead the family in a final droning prayer first to Zintia and then to Cheva, asking for a long life of love and happiness, though he purposefully skipped any mention of children to the female pair.

After he was finished, they were finally allowed to stand. Madeira and Chiona desperately tried to cover their inappropriate laughter as they were forced to clutch each other as blood rushed back to their unfolded legs. They exited the temple side-by-side, the officiant in a few steps ahead and the family behind, leading the way down the white and red carpeted stairs that would lead them to the Surya Plaza.

The party had started before they arrived, and Madeira suspected it would continue long after they left. As the revelers saw them approach from above a cheer worked its deafening way up to meet them. She recognized some of the people in the crowd: students and acquaintances, and some of the men and women she knew from the Red Lantern. Yet most were strangers just here for the free food, or the party, or simply curious about the event people had been buzzing about for weeks. Still Madeira waved to all of them, wearing her very best smile. She had insisted they make the event open for anyone. She wanted as many people as possible to witness the moment Madeira Craven became one of their precious Dusks.

The entire Plaza had been strung with colourful lanterns and the traditional red, yellow and white flowers of the Hearts Festival. In its the center rose a tall wooden stage festooned with festive greenery. Madeira and Chiona held hands as they climbed, looking every inch the beautiful, regal bridal couple. Through the tightening of the hand in hers Madeira could feel her fiancé’s anxiety as they looked down on the leagues of eager, judging faces, but Madeira reveled in it. All she ever wanted was to be seen, and now they couldn’t even look away.

Blessings were given and vows exchanged. Chiona’s were sweet and dutiful, speaking of loyalty and honesty and promising to always be true. When it was Madeira’s turn she took her bride by the hands and looked her directly in the eye.

"From today my life changes", she announced, her voice clear and strong. "I give my name for yours, I give my home for yours, I give my life in the hopes you will share it. From today I pledge to be your wife and your partner, to share in glory and in failure, to be your strength just as you are mine. I will always protect you, provide for you, because you are mine, and I am yours, and this world is ours.”

There was a heavy, pregnant pause as the last words reverberated around the Plaza. Yet as the ticks wore on nothing changed. Madeira knew what it felt like to be in the presence of god, and that anticipation wound tighter and tighter with no release. No Cheva marked appeared on Chiona's skin, and from the look in her wife's eyes, Madeira realized nothing had appeared on herself, either.

Chiona looked at the officiant in confusion, but Madeira just shook her head almost imperceptivity, silently telling her to ignore him, and to look at her. Madeira's smile was still on her face, everything from her posture to her loving glow revealing not an ounce of the sudden, crushing doubt that had dropped on her. They had an audience of hundreds, they couldn't tip them off that something was wrong.

The officiant, fumbling a bit, cleared his throat.

"May I introduce to you, Chiona and Madeira Dusk!"

Turning to face the crowd, Madeira raised their joined hands, stood on her toes, and kissed her wife. Her arm snaked around her back, holding her close to her side. There was something possessive about that kiss, her arm holding tight as if to claim her. The crowd cheered for them, but underneath she knew the rumors were already spreading like a plague of flies, buzzing in every ear. Where was the Cheva mark?
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Vow

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 3rd, 2021, 9:10 pm

timestamp
The newlyweds descended the stage hand-in-hand to great applause, and now it was Madeira’s turn to crush Chiona’s hand with anxiety.

At the bottom of the steps there was a discreet slit in the drapery over the stage. Both women ducked inside.

A support structure of rough-hewn boards rose far above their heads. The space was packed with the many props and tools of the Spinning Glimmers, who were to take over the stage for their grand performance at any moment. Yet in the corner, set aside for the brides, were two enormous baskets of yellow flowers. It had been Madeira’s idea to immediately follow the ceremony with the two of them walking through the crowd, handing out the yellow flowers of friendship and thanking the guests for coming. A stroke of genius, she had thought. A way to show humility while literally introducing herself to the people she had just vowed to be a part of forever. Now the garish yellow roses swam in her vision, the elation she had expected tumbling down into her sickening stomach.

What had happened? Political and arranged marriages were marked all the time, what made this different? Was a marriage even legitimate without a mark? She had worked so hard to make this match! Years of her life she had sunk into this effort to make something of herself in Lhavit. Her plans and efforts and endless political games had even turned the head of a god! What did this mean? Why this? Why now? Madeira found herself caught in a spiral of doubt. She looked to her wife, her eyes wide.

"Chiona, I-"

"No, don't, let’s not talk about that right now." Whatever she saw in Madeira’s eye seemed to shake the Dusk woman out of her own thoughts, and she worked a smile onto her face. " It's a celebration! You are my wife", she affirmed. "A mark changes nothing. Now kiss me, Mrs. Dusk, before I set myself among the wolves.”

Grateful for the comfort, Madeira dutifully kissed her waiting lips.

"I’m glad you chose me."

Chiona smiled sadly, her hand tracing the edges of Madeira's jaw. "We'll make this work."

"I know."

Taking a basket, full to bursting with the bright symbol of friendship, Chiona left with one last smile to her wife.

As the drapery swung closed behind her Madeira took the moment of privacy to indulge her frustration. Leaning back against a rough supporting beam she smashed the heels of her hands against the side of her head so hard her crown was knocked askew. Her eyes screwed shut and her lips peeled back, the bars of her teeth a pearly white cage for the Cordas mark burned onto her tongue.

“Why this?”, she hissed.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Vow

Postby Luminescence on April 12th, 2021, 6:05 pm

The shift in the somewhat cramped space beneath the stage was subtle. It wasn't the sort of aura that Madeira was used to encountering, somehow softer, but the charge of power in the air was quiet yet distinct. "Why do you think?" A woman's voice reached Madeira's ears.

When Madeira opened her eyes, she would be confronted by a simple but pretty young woman; her brunette hair was pinned back from her face with a few flowers, her blue eyes trained on the spiritist. She was all at once very normal yet immensely beautiful in her simplicity, and the subtle shimmer of power in the air around her, not unfamiliar to Madeira, spoke of divinity.

The woman circled around Madeira and the beam she leaned against, her head tilted thoughtfully; whereas the action might normally feel predatory, from this woman, it felt more curious. There was, however, heavy judgement in her soft eyes as she observed Madeira, coming to a stop again in front of her, humming quietly in thought.

"You seem so surprised I haven't gifted you with my approval," the woman said, hopping up to sit on a rickety table holding some of the props for the Spinning Glimmers. The wood creaked gently beneath her weight as she swung her legs idly, her gaze never leaving Madeira as she told the spiritist all she needed to know of her identity.

"But is it so surprising?" Cheva asked, her brows furrowing, and her fingers tapped a rhythm on the table. "Your marriage is not the first...unconventional one that I've seen. Nor would it be the first I approved, if I chose to do so. It wouldn't be the first based more on mutual respect rather than true love, nor the first one rooted in politics and respectability. Why do you think your marriage is different?"

The question hung in the air, but it was rhetorical, as Cheva continued to speak. "Chiona seems very determined to see you as her wife, with or without my approval. It's sweet." A gentle smile curved Cheva's mouth, genuine and wistful. "She's very dedicated. Loyal. She cares about you a lot." The smile faded, replaced with pursed lips and furrowed brows.

Her tone took on a seriousness that hadn't been present before. "I have seen more unions than you could comprehend, and blessed just as many. People of different cultures, people of the same and different genders, people of varying ages, more than just two. It is indeed rarer for me to disapprove of a union than it is for me to bless one. But it happens, and always for good reason." Cheva folded her hands on her lap; a few stray dark curls of hair had sprung free from the flowers keeping them pinned back, but she ignored the wisps that fell to frame her face.

"Let me ask you this, Madeira. Do you love Chiona? Why?" The question seemed perhaps silly coming from the goddess of love herself; surely she could sense it, could tell, knew the truth even if Madeira herself might not be sure of it. But she asked anyway, and leaned forward, her face solemn and her eyes wide and genuine, almost eager as she awaited the spiritist's answer.
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

The Vow

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 23rd, 2021, 9:04 pm

It was a feeling first, flickering right at the edge of perception, a charge in the air she had never experienced. It was only when Madeira opened her eyes that she understood what was happening. She didn't recognize the brunette woman in front of her, but she recognized the way the light and the very air bent around her. She was simple and beautiful, and her divinity made Madeira's throat close with panic.

Madeira loved her gods. She did. But she loved them from a distance, with reverence and respect and not a little fear. She had been on the batting end of too many deities to be anything else.

She stayed silent as the goddess, Cheva, began circling her. She smelt enchanting, like roses and sunlight and a romantic stroll. There was a kind of disdainful curiosity in her beautiful blue eyes, so much softer and richer than Madeira's. Her own beauty felt mean and weak under the goddess' careful scrutiny; her dazzling dress and delicate crown a childish costume.

Then goddess finished her curious stalking and hoped up onto one of the tables, her feet swinging in the air like a child. Madeira stayed glued to the post, following her movement with her eyes. This was the most unusual deity she had ever met. Even under the heavy weight of her judgment there was something so... grounded about her.

Madeira peeled herself off the post, taking a few steps closer. The Glimmers could barge in at any moment but somehow she didn't think it would matter. The two of them looked like nothing more than two woman having a friendly chat.

"Of course. Of course love her", Madeira jumped to her own defense, the words tripping over themselves to be heard. "She's a good woman. She's clever, and she's kind, and..." And what? She sounded desperate even to herself. Madeira fell quiet. She swallowed, worked her tongue over her teeth and fixed the tilt of the crown on her head. When she spoke again it was barely above a whisper.

"I made the decision to love her, okay? It was a choice. I love her because I need to, because she can give me something nobody else can. What I truly love are things that are... not good for me", she laughed, passing a hand over her face. "Monsters, mostly. The crazy and the dark and broken people I find. But Chiona is... sunlight, and beauty. Most of all she's everything I need. So I'm choosing to love her. There's nothing wrong with that."

Falling was for other people. She walked into love with her eyes wide open. Meanwhile every person to ever fall in love with Madeira Craven had been manipulated into it. She supposed that made her either a very good liar or a very unlovable human being.

"You think I coerced her, don't you?" she realized suddenly. "No, no, that's not what this is", she held up a gloved hand as if to physically block the imagined accusation. "I persuaded her to make the choice, but it was her choice to make. Yes, I did something I am not proud of, but I cannot be the first person to remove a love rival. She's mine now and I will take care of her, just like I care for everything that belongs to me. I..." She twisted her hands together, her gaze dropping.

Her voice came through soft and pleading.

"Please. Please, I need this."
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Vow

Postby Luminescence on May 17th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Cheva listened quietly, lips pursed thoughtfully. "What's so terrible about loving broken people? You call them monsters, but what is so monstrous about them? Do people with darkness in them not deserve love?" The questions were all rhetorical, as she waved a hand and sighed softly. "But of course, it isn't seemly. Not proper, or appropriate. You humans and your politics and appearances." Cheva sounded tired as she spoke then, almost frustrated, but the moment passed as quickly as it came.

"There is nothing wrong with choosing to love someone," Cheva agreed, gently. "In fact, romantic at heart as I am, I think it's more admirable, in many ways. Love is a wonderful, beautiful thing, but those who pretend it is easy are foolish. Love is difficult. Choosing to love someone, putting the effort in to make it work; that is dedication, and it is brave. That is not what I have an issue with, Madeira."

"The issue I have is you." The warmth around Cheva seemed to vanish suddenly, and the air underneath the stage became sharp, almost bitingly cold. "You say you didn't coerce her, but we both know that isn't quite true, is it? You are a lying, conniving, sly, manipulative thief, and you take what you want, even when it is not yours to take or it cannot ever properly be taken. Chiona does not belong to you; at least, not anymore than you belong to her. That's what a union is. But you don't see your wedding as a union, you see it as ownership."

Cheva stood abruptly, and there was a harshness to her soft blue eyes now. "You did more than remove a rival, you lied to Chiona about it, all of it. You planned to manipulate her to fall in love with you, and you cursed poor Lheili so that you could lie to Chiona to make yourself look good, you broke Chiona's heart on purpose so that you would be there to pick up the pieces, so conveniently. If you hadn't lied to, and manipulated, and deceived Chiona, would she be your wife today?"

"What you did was so low, so manipulative, it earned you that." Cheva spat the last word, motioning roughly to Madeira's face, but they both knew what she meant; the mark of Sagallius that she bore on her tongue. "I may not be as powerful as some other deities, but I can still feel their presence on you. How can you look me in the face and say none of what you have done is coercion?"

The goddess ran a hand over her face, exhaling a long breath as she calmed herself; the room warmed again slightly, but Cheva was still frowning at Madeira. The smell of roses was nearly overpowering. "You don't love Chiona." She finally said, simply. "I am half-convinced you don't know what love is at all. You love the idea of Chiona; you love the power she gives you, the status. You love the thought of laying claim to her. What you call love is deeply, deeply selfish. You say it is love, but it's only ever about you and what it can do for you."

For the briefest of moments, Cheva's voice gentled again. "You have had the chance to truly love before, Madeira. You turned it down because it came with a monster, as you say. You aren't only hurting others, you're hurting yourself."

Just as quickly as the gentleness came, it was gone again, replaced by a solemn expression. "I'm going to give you a chance; a chance to truly learn to love Chiona. For who she is, not what she can do for you; to love her selflessly, not selfishly. And to also let her learn to love you for who you really are, not who she thinks you are, or who you pretend to be."

Cheva brushed the front of her dress off, straightening up and pushing her shoulders back, staring Madeira in the eyes. "You have a year. In a year's time, on your first wedding anniversary, I'll be back to speak with you again. If I feel you've done well enough, I will relent, and I will give both you and Chiona my blessing to make your union true in the eyes of all. If you fail to meet my expectations..." Cheva shrugged. "I won't stop you from continuing to call Chiona your wife, but your union with her will never be blessed by me. This is your only second chance."

"Remember; anybody who says love is easy is a fool. Anything worth having is worth fighting for, and I believe you know that well enough. I wish you luck, Madeira Craven." Cheva spoke the spiritist's maiden name gently yet firmly, making it a point before she turned away from Madeira, stepping away and seeming to simply vanish into thin air. Flower petals drifted down to the floor where she had once stood, and the smell of roses still lingered in the air.
Luminescence
Allow me to light the way

Words: 717627
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

The Vow

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 31st, 2021, 2:21 am

This was not the first time a deity had taken issue with Madeira Craven. Uldr was the first, and his disapproval was an ax held level with her throat. But with Cheva it was so much more personal, intimate, and somehow cut deeper. It wasn't hate, it was disgust. It was being ripped open by the true embodiment of mortal love only to be found unsightly.

"Don't do this", she found herself pleading. The woman who dreamt of standing above everything was forced to beg, her silvered tongue twisting into unfamiliar shapes. "I can't. I can't love her the way you want, I don't know how. And she would never love what I really am, not when even I can't. Yes, my love is selfish and caustic and comes with so many strings, but it is still love. I swear it is. Or it is so close I can't tell the difference. Please, please do not do this!"

It was too late. Cheva gave her one last chance to love Chiona, and be loved in return. She would be back in one year to judge her heart, to see if Madeira was worthy of the mark she had spent two years destroying herself for.

Then the Spiritist was alone, surrounded by flower petals and the ringing notes of Cheva's last words.

The air cleared and the sounds of the party came back into focus, spilling into the empty space beneath the stage. Madeira's hands found her mouth, her hair, and for a second she thought she was going to scream. This couldn't be happening. She had been so close. She had won the girl, won the name, and now, now -

A hard breath was forced through her painted lips, and her expression cleared. Empty hands fell back to her sides, and her back straightened to its wire-tight posture. She smoothed her gloves over her hair and down the bodice of her dress. And just like that Madeira was herself again: taller than her stature, stronger than her slight frame, armored in silk and steely purpose.

She had been tested by gods before. The only thing that had changed was that it wasn't her faith or survival or some bullshyke moral lesson being tested. It was her heart being weighed and found wanting. It was her capacity for love on trial.

And it was love, wasn't it? Suddenly she was not so sure. Love was never something she had been shown growing up. But if all she had was selfishness, as the goddess had suggested, then it burned brighter than any of that sweet, honest love she seemed to want from her.

The realization hit her, a slow dawning. Cheva said this marriage was ownership, and it was. But was that so wrong? She cared for everything she owned, everyone she owned. Haven't all their lives improved just because Madeira Craven wanted them? Jomi would still be possessing dogs in Alvadas if it wasn't for her. Emma would still be the insane protector of her bonded's corpse. Maro, Savis, Zach, Alister, Hurik, weren't they all better for having mattered to her? Her selfishness was so complete that their every want, every need, became hers too. Her ruthlessness had teeth and they were aimed at anything that would try to take them away from her.

Really, if Madeira didn't want her, Chiona would still be that scared wreck of a woman in a doomed relationship. She would be a better wife, a better partner, than Lhelie and any of her many other suitors ever could. All because her selfishness was stronger than their love.

She hesitated before stepping on the flower petals. The sweet scent of crushed petals lingered on the heels of her shoes as she walked across the space and scooped up her basket of yellow Hearts Festival roses.

She had a year. One year to earn this goddesses' approval. Madeira needed that mark. She needed it to show the world that she was every bit the Dusk she claimed to be. She wasn't sure how she was going to do it, but she had to try.

This was just another test by another deity. This, at least, she could do.

Knuckles white beneath her gloves, she brushed aside the canvas of the stage and back out into the night.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes