Open A Festival of Hearts

It's a wedding and a party!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 7th, 2021, 8:08 pm

timestamp
"Do ghosts possess people often?" Madeira reiterated. "Well, they all can but not all of them do. In the same way that every person is capable of throwing a punch, but most don't have a reason to, and some hit harder than others." A sparkling glove trailed in the air as if to wave off the analogy.

The pair finally managed to introduce themselves. But when Ayosel said her name Madeira's whole body suddenly shivered in a way that was both familiar and distant and dangerous.

She stared at Ayosel for a long tick. She knew that sibilant hiss. She recognized the way it bled through a word, making a meal out of the consonants in a way that seemed to imply you were next. She had heard her name drawn out by that speech pattern hundreds, maybe thousands, of times. My-dear-ahhhh.

"You're not human." A little bubble of astonished laughter burst in her throat before she could stop it.

The fear that the evolutionary part of her human brain shot down her spine got confused on the way down, turning into a thrill she recognized from feeling sheathed fangs pressed against her throat. She swallowed hard, hating herself for it. Lhavit might think a women attracted to other women was an interesting little quirk, but what would they think if they knew her appetites didn't run with gender or appearance at all? She lost her first kiss to a boy with venomous fangs, the love of her life was ten feet long and scaly, and the father of her children was a mad beast. Nobody knew that prim little Madeira Dusk had a taste for monsters.

And isn't it a funny coincidence that the first one she had seen in years she met on they day she married her Human wife. There must be a deity out there right now laughing at its little joke.

All at once she decided it was time to leave.

"I should get back to the party. It was lovely to meet you, Ayosel." Madeira stood in a hurry, fussing with her dress and making a concerted effort not to look the Dhani in the eye. "Thank you for the dance. It was..." She cleared her throat and retraced. "If you ever run into more problems with the dead, I hope you'll come to me. I'm a much better Spiritist than a dancer."

Go, she was telling herself, her mind demanding she leave, embarrassed by her body's betrayal, and ashamed of the way her thoughts were lingering on the empty space bellow her collarbone, and the memory of hard coils slithering beneath her hands. But she lingered. The confident socialite swayed from foot to foot uncertainly, hoping the blood in her cheeks couldn't be seen in the ruddy glow of the lanterns.

"...I hope you enjoy the festival", she finally managed. Her eyes flicked up to the woman again and away before turning on her heel. Madeira pushed into the crowd and back into her role of host and heir: the normal human woman with her normal, safe, lovely human wife.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Amelyia on May 13th, 2021, 1:53 pm

22nd of Spring, 521

The evening was certainly bustling with activity, more so than Amelyia was used to. In the past, she wouldn't come to these weddings and festivals unless she was invited. However, in her line of small experience Amelyia knew that to make contacts with people or just getting to know a friend or three. She would have to attend this wedding, but she was severely underdressed for the occasion. Amelyia wasn't rich or pretended to be rich for that matter. She wore what she earned, and Amelyia was dressed in a simple shirt, pants, boots, and a simple cloak that drapes over her shoulders. Her long, brown hair brushed free from the pesky tangles as her amber eyes looks around the crowd. None of which she would recognize as Amelyia was still freshly new to this city.

Truthfully, the only people Amelyia somewhat knew was Aska, Etran, and a couple of guards who gave her directions to the Touch of Fire when Amelyia first arrived in the city. With a city as big as Lhavit, it only made sense to make a friend or two outside of work. So Amelyia made herself blend in with the crowd somewhat with a cup of wine on one hand. Personally she wasn't a fan of drinking alcohol as her father drank ale just about every day. It was, in her opinion, every man and woman's falling sword. They drank themselves till they passed out, or they continue drinking until their bodies can't take it anymore. Granted she had no proof of this, or rather nobody would believe her anyways as it'll drive a wedge in society. A wedge that people would rather sweep away than to be concerned for their own health in both physically and spiritually.

The memory of home was both bitter and sweet. Not that she hated Syliras, but rather the experience equivalent to a prisoner in a forge until she was decent in something. She tried blacksmithing, and while she didn't mind making things like shovels, hammers, and nails. It did get a bit dull hence was why Amelyia took up some armorsmithing.

Her mind snaps back to reality as she nearly walked into someone and managed to walk around instead. With an apologetic smile, she proceeded to bow, not knowing that bowing was actually a custom but rather it was an emphasis that Amelyia didn't mean to disrupt them. "Sorry, one step led to another and I nearly tripped on you. If I hadn't known any better, I'd say it was the drink." The young woman follows up with nursing the wine after she spoke. Allowing whomever she nearly bumped into to exchange some words whether it was harsh or kind. She wasn't sure, and she wasn't sure as to whom the person was either.

WC: 473
Amelyia
Player

Words: 3463
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2021, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Adoian on May 14th, 2021, 3:59 pm

22nd of Spring, 521 AV

The night was absolutely resplendent, an incredible display of colorful lanterns and streamers adorned the tops of every house and lined the perimeter of the entirety of Surya Plaza. Children ran by with ribbons of purple, red, gold, white, and blue flying behind them as musicians filled the space with the jovial sounds of celebration. From Ado’s spot at Mhakula Teahouse’s booth, he could just see the fantastic display of fire from the Spinning Glimmers’ performance. Hundreds of people flooded the plaza, dancing and drinking and yelling and singing. Couples walked by tied together with a red ribbon while parents handed white flowers to their children.

Ado had received four white flowers from his family and had also given four white flowers. One each to Guzo and Atsuya, and one to each of his parents, who were probably out in the crowd tied together and having a grand time. He and Guzo were the only two at the booth now, Atsuya had been grabbed by a friend and taken to the dance floor chimes ago. She had not been seen since. It wasn’t a problem; tea was not as big of a hit as the spiced wine served at this festival. To keep it simple they were serving only green tea tonight, no flavorings, sugar, or milk. With each mug, they offered a yellow flower of friendship, which was usually returned with another yellow flower.

During the Heart’s Festival last Spring, Ado had been fancying a young man whose name was unimportant now. He offered the boy a red bouquet, which was accepted and the two danced the night away. It was only a week that their tenuous relationship lasted, mostly due to Ado’s impatience and sheer boredom, claiming the boy was too stagnant for him. As was the case with most of the relationships Ado tried to pursue. His inner turmoil told him he demanded too much from his romantic interests, and that he needed to learn to tolerate the differences in people.

Guzo sat next to him gently humming and swaying with the music. Many a red flower he had been offered this night, as was usual from the older ladies of the city. He was gracious but still not ready to accept the offer since the passing of his wife, Ado’s grandmother, in 518 AV. Ado took a sip of the spiced wine brought to him by one of the many servers weaving through the crowds with trays of drinks and other delicacies.

Ado was dressed in a pair of fine linen trousers, a white cotton shirt with a pair of leather suspenders, his typical everyday boots, and the blue fluorite necklace around his neck. The new clothes came from the Silk Palace, which was an experience, to say the least, and cost him more than he was willing to admit. A few times throughout the night he had spotted one of the brides, the newest member of the Dusk family, dancing with people in the crowd and offering yellow flowers to anybody that went up to grant her well wishes.

“Perhaps you should bring the newlyweds a cup of tea?” Guzo suggested, having a to practically yell above the noise. Ado thought for a moment. He was not entirely well-known throughout the city; would she even accept a mug of tea? Maybe the gesture itself would be appreciated. But what if she doesn’t like tea? Just the thought of approaching somebody so politically influential made his heart begin to race. He was just a tea farmer, what would he even have to say to somebody like that? After a chime of not moving or answering, Guzo spoke again.

“The gesture would be appreciated, Ado. Don’t overthink it.” The old man had him pegged. Ado breathed out heavily and nodded.

“Okay, you’re right. I’ll just say the Yhavao family offers their congratulations and well-wishes, and they are always welcome at Mhakula Teahouse.” Ado rehearsed it a few more times in his head, breathing and pouring tea, only a little shakily. He decided to take only one cup, figuring two would be impossible to get through the crowd. With it, he grabbed one of the yellow flowers, breathed one more time, then turned to make his way into the crowd to find the bride.

He had taken just one step before he nearly collided with another passerby. He inhaled sharply, twisting away to protect the very important cup of tea from spilling. Before he could say anything, the person righted themselves and turned, apologizing with a bow. She was a young woman, albeit taller than he, wearing rather drab clothing for such an occasion. Ado inspected her briefly as she blamed the wine for her clumsiness. She was clearly muscular, maybe a hunter or a fisher, with soft eyes that looked almost gold under all the blazing lights of the plaza.

“No, no, i- it’s fine,” Ado stammered, trying to pull his thoughts off his task of finding the bride in the crowd. He felt awkward for a moment, unsure of what to do or say, “I wasn’t paying attention either. Um… here,” He offered the woman the yellow flower he was planning to bring to the bride, “No harm done, right?”

He glanced at Guzo, who had an eyebrow raised to him. He gestured slightly to the girl with his head and made a shooing motion with his hand. Did he mean to have Ado ask her to dance? Well... what could be the harm? He had not danced with anybody tonight, having stayed put at the teahouse’s booth all night.

Whether the flower was accepted or not, Ado put down the cup of tea and picked up his own wine.

“I’ve been drinking a bit too tonight,” He took a sip of the wine, spicy and bitter on his tongue, immediately making his blood feel warmer, then held his other hand out to the woman, “How about a dance?”

WC: 969

*Clothing from the Silk Palace: Linen pants = 8 ki, Cotton Shirt = 10 ki, Leather suspenders = 10 ki. Total = 28 ki
Last edited by Adoian on May 25th, 2021, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adoian
Tea is always a good idea

Words: 60205
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2021, 2:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 23rd, 2021, 10:13 pm

An enormous flare of fire from the Glimmers on stage cut the Plaza in harsh relief as Madeira scooped her basket from the arm of her unprotesting Shinya. The afterimage burned in her eyes, and she had to blink away the blue specter of ghoulish dancers from her vision.

She should find Jomi. The ghost was certainly making trouble somewhere.

She should find her wife. Cheva's threat was still ringing in her ear.

In the end Madeira did neither.

Her feet carried her through the crowd, her smile back to its full, ferocious charm, but her heart wasn't in it. Ayosel's identity and her confrontation with Jomi had shaken her loose, and the reality of what Cheva had said was bubbling up from the back of her mind. All at once she was tired.

Uninterested in the trays of spiced and sparkling wine that floated though the crowd, Madeira searched for something else to sooth herself. If drugs weren't an option, perhaps tea would do. Luckily she knew of a booth that had been set up at her wedding that could provide one of those.

"Yhavao, sir", Madeira approached the Mhakula Teahouse booth with a smile and a bright yellow bloom. She had met the man only once, but Chiona was a frequent student of him and his granddaughter. The heir would often come home bruised and smiling to tell her all about her dao sword training.

"Our new missus Dusk!" Guzo startled for a moment. It seemed his attention was focused on a point deeper into the crowd, but he beamed at her his trademark grin as his focus slid to her. "Let me offer my congratulations to you both. On behalf of the Mhakula Teahouse I wish you many happy returns."

"Thank you very much."

"Can I offer you a cup? Wine is good, but nothing beats a cup of Lhavit's finest tea."

Madeira laughed, charmed by his complete conviction. "I couldn't agree more." But as her hand slid into her pocket, wondering if she even had the coin to pay for it, the old man waved her off.

"It's on the house, of course."

Madeira smiled her thanks and brought the cup to cushion against her bottom lip, her eyes falling closed as she inhaled the scent. The warm cup in her hand and the exquisitely earthly steam in her lungs did much to ground her. Thoughts of Dhani and Gods and her own devious heart melted away, and suddenly she was feeling better. The old man must have noticed. His eyes crinkled with warmth.

"'Nothing a nice cup of tea can't help. So, Missus Dusk-"

"Please, call me Madeira."

"Madeira", he corrected, clearly flattered by the familiarity. "My grandson had wandered out there to offer his own congratulations. See that kid at the edge of the crowd? Red hair, kind of skinny? It would mean a lot to an old man if you'd let him introduce himself."

Madeira followed his line of sight until it alighted on a mop of curly red hair. The man (teenager?) looked crisp and clean in white cotton and starched trousers. Even with his back to them she could see the delicate lines of the bones in his neck and shoulders, and the endearingly awkward way he was gesturing with a glass of wine in his hand. Something about how all of it fit together made her think lovely rather than handsome.

"It would be my pleasure", Madeira assured him, taking one last sip of her tea. "Thank you for the drink, sir. I'll have to ask Chiona to bring me along to the Teahouse next time for another cup."

"Please do", Guzo grinned all the wider. "Congratulations, once again."

Madeira said her goodbye and made her way over to the grandson with her basket in hand. As she got closer she could see the man was gesturing his wine to a woman taller than both of them, with the muscular arms of a dedicated craftswoman. Stepping neatly into their conversation she addressed the woman first, noticing as she met her eye the unusual amber colour, as warm as honey and whisky.

"I apologize, I don't mean to interrupt", she began with a smile, clearly interrupting. "Do you mind if I steal your partner for this dance? I'll bring him right back, I promise."

Only then did she turn to the man, a flower already between her gloved fingers.

"Your grandfather is quite the sweet character", she chuckled. "I thought I knew the famous Yhavao family, but I don't think we've been acquainted. I'm Madeira Dusk, from Alvadas. Let me offer you the friendship of the Dusk and Craven houses", she recited rather formally, but there was something about the gentle twist of her lips and the way she held her yellow flower out to him that was warmer than the words themselves.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Adoian on May 25th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Ado swayed with his dance partner, Amelyia, he learned after a few minutes of conversation, while passively watching the Glimmer's fiery performance in the distance. They lingered at the edge of the crowd, and with each sip of wine, his vision became steadily blurrier. The first glass he had finished several chimes ago and was almost through with the second he took from a tray carried by a passing server. Amelyia was quite new in Lhavit, fresh from Syliras and working at the Touch of Fire as a smith. That must have been quite a journey, and a difficult one at that. Ado told her he was envious that she had had the chance to travel, noting that he had barely stepped foot outside of Lhavit, and when he did it was to go down to Port Tranquil to pick up shipments for the teahouse and exchange news or rumors with the sailors. Recently the news was all the same; it's hot, everywhere, the rain is scarce and food supplies are dwindling.

Ado was in the middle of telling Amelyia about his family, ready to suggest she take martial arts lessons from Atsuya, "Actually, we have a lower level in the teahouse, under the teahouse I mean. It's where my sister fights people if you're interested?" The wine went to his head fast, though he felt more confident and eloquent than ever. Something bright white and shiny caught his attention in the corner of his eye and he turned to watch, stunned, as the bride he was planning to congratulate approached them gracefully. For a moment he was sure she meant to walk right past, just a coincidence that she had passed by him so close, but then she stopped and turned to Amelyia, apologizing for interrupting before Amelyia had even the chance to respond to Ado's less-than-articulate suggestion to brawl with his sister.

The bride was more dazzling up close than from a distance, the white and silver of her dress sparkling and catching the light at different angles as her body moved elegantly with the crowd. Fine white gloves covered her arms all the way up and the white of her skin he could see looked tantalizingly soft. She was also much smaller than he thought, but only bodily, her presence was bigger than any other person he had known, save for Guzo. She asked Amelyia to steal her dance partner and Ado realized, a little slowly, that she was referring to him. The bride turned to him and he quickly closed his mouth and stood up a little straighter to properly address her. The icy blue of her eyes added to the somewhat intimidating air about her. He didn't know whether he was afraid of her or attracted to her. Or perhaps both.

She introduced herself with her new name, Madeira Dusk, and spoke kindly of his grandfather. Her voice carried incredibly well even over the bustle of the crowd, and sheer confidence and poise emanated from her lithe figure. He expected to feel very anxious and lost for words when he would eventually work up the courage to speak to her, but her body language and expressions gave him a feeling of ease and familiarity like they were already friends.

Before accepting the yellow flower offered to him, he bowed deeply, wobbling only slightly, to show his utmost respect for the newlywed at her own reception. He still held on to his almost empty glass of wine, unsure of what else to do with it, and introduced himself, "It is a true pleasure, Mrs. Dusk. I am Adoian Yhavao, but friends call me Ado," He paused and gently took the yellow flower, tucking it under his suspender by his chest where the four white flowers from his family were collected, "I apologize, the yellow flower I had with me I offered to my dance partner..." He looked around but Amelyia had already disappeared into the crowd, possibly in search of more wine. Ado continued, "But yes, Guzo always says 'You've made the kitchen your own cocoon, it's time for you to hatch!'" He mocked, lowering his voice in his best attempt to mimic the old man, gesturing in the air with his pointer finger, "Suffice to say, I don't get out much."

He paused to switch the glass to his other hand and remembered his manners.

“Oh, but of course I wish to offer my congratulations and well-wishes to you and your wife. Please stop by the teahouse sometimes, it would be a delight. Here’s to love!” He finished with a cheer and downed the rest of his wine quickly. Though Amelyia had disappeared the night was still young and many a lonely soul were looking for a dance tonight.

wc: 763
Adoian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Madeira Dusk on May 31st, 2021, 6:38 pm

Madeira's ankles crossed under her skirt and she dropped into a graceful curtsy as the young Yahvao man, Adoian, bowed.

"You don't get out much?", she reiterated, amused by the rather drunken imitation of his grandfather. She shook her head with a knowing smile. "I know how that can be. The family business has a terrible habit of taking over your life, doesn't it?"

Congratulations were offered, and the two shared a toast. "To love!" Ado cheered, throwing back his head and swallowing his wine in one big pull. Madeira dutifully pressed her tea to her lips, but didn't drink. The expression on her face seemed to stutter, something showing through the cracks before her smile managed to right itself.

"To love", she echoed. As a server passed she flagged him down, letting him collect Ado's empty wine glass and her half-full cup of tea before he disappeared back into the crowed.

"Speaking of, I see white and yellow on your chest, but not a drop of red. How can it be a handsome man like yourself hasn't collected a whole bouquet of hearts tonight? That won't do, not at the Hearts Festival." Threading her arm through his elbow she took the lead and walked him through the party. She was surprised to notice that the his arm was solid against hers, the muscles of a trained fighter shifting beneath her hand.

Above the crowed the Spinning Glimmers were breathing great bouts of fire into the air, inspiring great gasps and cheers from below. "So, Ado" Madeira whispered conspiratorially, pressing her shoulder into his. "What can we find for you? Men, women, both? Don't tell me the family business has deprived you of all your free time."

A musician struck up a new song with the melodic whine of a bow pulled across the strings of his violin. The sweet, resonate song clashed gloriously with the heavy drums the Glimmers were using for their own performance, creating a chaotic dissonance that made Madeira think bizarrely of home. Men and woman paired off to dance, and it was clear that many liberties were taken with the food and drink. She nimbly pulled herself and Ado out of the way of an enthusiastic shuffle.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

A Festival of Hearts

Postby Adoian on June 2nd, 2021, 6:07 pm

There was a hesitation to the smile on Madeira’s face, Ado noticed, and her eyes were distant for just a moment as she half-heartedly shared the toast with him. A server swept by, retrieving their glasses, then left just as swiftly. Ado wanted to ask Madeira if she was okay but thought better of it. That seemed too personal, especially on her wedding day; he didn’t feel it was his place. Today was a vast, important day for the woman; perhaps she had many things on her mind, none of which concerned a young tea brewer with less influence on the city than an Okomo. If she wasn’t a politically influential person to take note of before, she certainly was now, and Ado knew better than to get on the wrong side of somebody on such a high perch.

He expected her to make her pardon and head off to other ceremonious duties, so he certainly wasn’t prepared when she looped a nimble arm through his and began leading him through the crowd. He ungracefully tripped over his feet just a moment, due more to the wine than to his balance, and felt heat come to his ears as he finally adjusted and kept pace with her. Her eye had caught the flowers in his suspenders,r and she was curious to know why he had received no red flowers.

He felt too embarrassed to tell her that he had planned it that way intentionally. Before coming to the festival, he prepared only white and yellow flowers to hand to his friends and family. Her comment about the business taking over his life was only partly true. He could get out far more often than he did, but he chose to stay in the kitchens or the gardens. They were the places where his hands could keep busy while his mind wandered. Day by day, he felt the impatience for change inching its way into his daily routine. The urge to drop everything and just go was becoming increasingly harder to control, so if he stayed busy with work, that left him with little extra time for scheming.

Madeira leaned in, her shoulder tight against him, and the blush to his ears expanded to his cheeks. He hoped she wouldn’t notice or that she would think it was the drink. Many watched the Glimmers in awe as the music changed to something more rounded and warm. Guests put their arms around each other in pairs, and Ado wasn’t entirely sure how to answer Madeira’s question.

“I, uh…” He thought for a second. What was he to say? No, thank you? She was extending quite a kindness to him by finding somebody so that he may have a red flower tonight, and he didn’t want to reject the courtesy right to her face. How was he to tell her he didn’t want to accidentally get too attached to somebody, as he was so prone to doing. It’s not a big deal. Find somebody to dance with, stop being a coward.

“I’m not that picky. Let’s see…” Ado inspected the crowd, looking for any stragglers on the sidelines or even a familiar face with which he could share a dance. His breath caught for a moment as he spotted someone he not only recognized but had been deeply fascinated with for many years. Uat Moji, manager at the Skyglass Restuarant and one of the most intimidating women he had ever met. He had seen her around the city just a handful of times but never worked up the courage to introduce himself. He would patron the restaurant anytime he had saved enough kina, just hoping to see her or pray that she visited the teahouse so he could serve her a cup of black lavender tea. Every time he saw her, she was moving, putting thoughts into action, and getting things done. Not only was she attractive but also capable and intelligent as a tack.

Tonight she was dressed in a flowing dark blue dress with a deep plunge and slits in the sides that went up to her knees. She had pinned her wavy brown hair down on the sides, and she wore a simple silver necklace. Ado exhaled heavily and turned to Madeira.

“I’ll be honest with you, do you see that woman there, long brown hair, dark blue dress?” He gestured to her subtly with a nod of his head, “That is Uat Moji, and she is brilliant. I’ve never been able to approach her directly, but I think with your help, I could ask her for a dance at the very least.” He was excited at the prospect, and despite being incredibly nervous, he felt more confident with the new missus Dusk at his side than ever before.
Adoian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Previous