PM to join A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Moritz arrives in Syka...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Moritz Craven on June 2nd, 2021, 12:23 am

70 Summer 521


Moritz let out a long sigh as he knew the current leg of his trip was nearing its end. While they had made landfall a few times on their long trip around the coast from Lhavit to Riverfall, most of the time had been spent on a boat. And so he was looking forward to spending some extended time on land.

He had quickly found he did not get sea sick, one saving grace for an extended sea voyage, but never seemed to quite get the footing of moving on a boat down. While in his Okomo form he could easily climb a steep crevasse, now he sometimes found it tough to walk from one side of the room to the other without falling.

Likewise he was looking forward to spending some time in his Okomo form, stretching, resting, moving, and just experiencing the fullness of his self. Living in Lhavit he had often shifted when the need arose, or whenever he felt it, but had never had any real stricture on shifting. It was all him, both sides, both forms, both Moritz. And so he had always used each as suited,and moved from one form to the other freely.

Now though being on a boat he was forced to for the most part stay in his human form. After all there was not room for a large beast on a small boat with cramped quarters and spaces. He had spent as much time shifted as he could when they made land, but that had not been enough for him and he still felt... Out of balance. Not out of a need for being in one form or the other, no, but more akin to his having been repressed from freely shifting for so long he just wanted to do so freely again until he'd balanced out matters... So perhaps a bit of a need, but more out of a sense of symmetry and desire for freedom.

His three companions since Lhavit, the three members of the Shinya on the boat with him, Moritz sat quietly with them and waited patiently for the vessel to land and for the chance to get off the boat. The other three, a human man along with two woman, one kelvic and one human, or at least all human seeming enough that he could not tell the difference, all seemed serious on their journey and mission and ready for the next leg of their work. For now their work would actually begin, finally in the jungle.

Julan, Moritz having forgotten the ghost for a moment, was also there. He had decided to pretend to take a nap and was quietly snoring, though rather than laying on the floor he was spread out across the ceiling of the chamber.

As soon as they made land and was told he could leave Moritz would make all haste to get off the boat. Assuming the captain or someone did not want to talk to him first. And then assuming that they didn't that there'd be no one to question him on land. Moritz just wanted to grab his things, and run for dry solid land. Perhaps find a nice place to shift and nose about.

But he doubted he would get the chance, and other more serious matters were at hand. But even the normally logical kelvic Moritz was finding himself stir crazy and ready to get off the boat.

This likely was not helped by the fact that he had essentially gone through puberty on the voyage. He had appeared around thirteen when they left, but was now in appearance closer to sixteen human years and quite close to six foot tall if not a hair over in terms of height. His latest growth spurt seemed to be one of his largest in his human form, and his arms and legs sometimes still ached from the sudden change.

"Julan, we're almost there, alright. No running off when we arrive, alright? We can see about going and doing something fun tomorrow, alright? Today we've got to get stuff sorted. I know, I'm just as anxious as you to get off the boat, but we've got to sort things first. So no running off."

WC: 707
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 278
Words: 355041
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Gossamer on June 5th, 2021, 3:39 am

Image
Syka's denizens were out and about that early morning, enjoying the cool weather and getting a few of the Settlement's chores done. Mathias and Randal were on the Swing Beach hard at work clearing some flotsam that had washed ashore in the last big storm. Two enormous logs of hardwood, worn smooth by being tossed around the sea, were being hauled up the beach by a borrowed pair of harnessed Ashta. The lovely packaderms heaved and strained in their harnesses, dragging the massive logs upwards.

Randal was of a mind to carve them into something useful, something he could make in a singular piece of huge wood, though he hadn't quite decided what. Mathias was there to lend him a hand with the Ashta, and to brainstorm with him on what to do with the huge pieces of wood. They had tables, chairs, and any number of things already made for The Commons. But was there anything else these enormous chunks of wood could be used for?

The two men were standing together at the place the Ashta had moved the logs - well up the beach and into the Commons out of the risk of the tides - when the ship was sighted in the bay. Randal squinted off, looking for flags, and shook his head at Mathias when the older Founder quirked an eyebrow upwards and shrugged.

"I've no idea who it is. It doesn't look Svefra. It also doesn't look like any of our regular visiting traders." Mathias said, watching the ship approach.

Randal's eyes swung over to the curled fish totem, checking to see if the creature was going to react. It remained sedate, so the two founders remained calm. A small group gathered around them, mostly people from The Commons who had full sight of the docks. Artik, a mug of ale clenched in his hands, wandered up and nodded towards the ship.

"Anyone you know?" He asked. Both Founders shook their heads.

Nesra and Buraga soon joined the growing crowd. There was curiosity but not exactly alarm shown by the people milling around. They didn't move towards the dock to assist the ship if it decided to tie up. Instead, they simply watched, vigilant with several keeping an eye on the totems that were visible from The Commons. They didn't seem to react. Buraga was armed, so was most of the crowd for that matter. No one wandered very far around Syka without at least a machete or kukri or often something a bit more significant.

No one greeted the ship. No one moved to the dock. They were cautious, these settlers, and waited for the folks on the ship to come to them.
.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 20551
Words: 5915349
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Moritz Craven on June 5th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Moritz was not paying close attention to his compatriots, and so by the time he finished talking he noticed only one was with him. Where the others had gone he was unsure. The one remaining was the non-kelvic woman he assumed was human. From how she was keeping in proximity to him and eying him he could only assume she had been asked to keep an eye on him and was doing so.

Not that Moritz felt there was a need to do so, he had no intention of running off into the jungle nor doing anything foolish. Certainly not till he got his bearings and knew what he should or should not do.

For a few moments there was silence except for Julan's pretend snoring, though at one point when Moritz glanced at the ghost he saw his eyes quickly shut and the volume of his pretend snoring increase.

At least until there was a loud bump on the side of the ship, likely from the boat coming to rest against the dock. As soon as the sound rang out Julan let out a odd yip, and then opening his eyes floated backward through the decking and out topside.

Letting out a groan Moritz headed after him, racing out onto the deck after the spirit before he could run off. The woman - Shari - quickly ran after him.

Where Moritz was more or less bare, nothing more than the clothes on his back as the rest of his stuff was stowed away, not even wearing any shoes on his callused feet, the woman was clearly a person who knew how to carry herself. Her most prominent weapon was a large curved sword, though she also had several daggers on her person. She had a bow as well but it was not currently in use and so was not strung just then.

On the deck Moritz spotted Julan, quickly noticing the spirit was peering around and inspecting his surroundings. Seeing something off along the beach however the ghost sprang into action, running and leaping to the dock, and then moving by an odd combination of blinking about and running once he hit the beach. His target seemed to be one of two things that had taken his interest. The large logs being pulled by large beasts up from the beach... Or the small but growing crowd of people near those things. As they were so close it was difficult to tell till the ghost arrived which it was targeting, though the entire way there the ghost waved his arms in greeting and spread a large grin across his face. It being day time and out in the sun it would be clear to most anyone that the boy was a ghost and not a living person.

Moritz for his part seeing Julan shoot off ran after him, jumping across to the dock as the human man was finishing tying them off, quickly followed by Shari who seemed untroubled by the pace even with her gear. She seemed dressed for warm weather, rather than her normal Shinya uniform. She quietly kept pace just behind Moritz, not seeming to be phased or straining her breathing even with Moritz running to catch the wayward spirit.

Once he was on the docks Moritz turned and raced for the sand, feeling their hot surface on his bare feet. If anything this seemed to give extra speed to his movement, as he knew if he stayed put too long his feet would be burned by the surface.

An odd sight perhaps, a large but unarmed young man running after a ghost, said ghost purposely ignoring said young man, and a woman silently following after the youth.

"Julan! Stop! I said Stop!"

Once he got on the sand Moritz did his best to catch the spirit, running full tilt and swinging both arms as he tried to eat up the ground with his long legs. Shari despite being smaller easily kept up, which for some reason annoyed the much larger but younger kelvic.

"Julan... I... Said... Stop..."

As the kelvic's exertions continued he quickly became winded, and it became clear he was not going to catch the ghost. Soon his yells at the spirit faded to just saying his name, and soon after nothing more than panting. Already Moritz could feel a stitch forming in his side, like someone was stabbing a blade just above his hip. Before they arrived at the ghosts stop Moritz running had slowed, going from a sprint to a trot, and by the time they arrived little more than a fast walk.

As it turned out the ghosts interest was in the large beasts and their load. Racing up the child ghost jumped atop one in a single somewhat floaty leap, grinning and waving.

"Hi! I'm Julan! What are those! Who are you? Whats that, that building? What are you doing with this wood? How much sand is on this beach?"

As all of the questions were asked in rapid order, without looking at one single person, and all while pointing at multiple things at once, it was not completely clear who the ghost was speaking to or which objects or places he was referring to except where he actually mentioned them in the question. As the ghost was finishing off his questions Moritz finally arrived, walking up and trying to catch his breath.

"Julan... I said... Wait..."

Trying to work out who was in charge Moritz made his best attempt to start a formal greeting, but just ended up bent over and gasping for breath.

"I'm... I'm... My name..."

Shari, perhaps taking pity on Moritz, introduced them.

"I'm Shari. This is Moritz. And that is Julan. We are from Lhavit. Nice to meet you all. Back on the boat is Emmett and Zelia."

The woman was not quite laughing at the kelvic, but nor was she frowning or so serious in her demeanor at the situation. Perhaps finding it extra humorous in knowing how much the boy had planned and plotted his greeting once they arrived, only to have it go horribly against that plan.

Once he finally caught his breath Moritz would try to right himself and meet someones eyes, which would likely indicate his kelvic nature due to his goat like Okomo eyes. That and that he was an Iraso to anyone who knew of such things.

WC: 1,067
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 278
Words: 355041
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Gossamer on June 6th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Image
As Mathias and Randal plus the gathering crowd watched on, Lars Waska tried to soothe the Ashta who were not taking well to the ghost charging from the ship to the shore straight at the pachyderms. One bugled - a young bull - and the sturdy older cow planted her feet. They were hitched to the big logs and working at the sawmill owner's direction. Once they were scared though - which was hard to do with the Ashta - they were hard pressed to calm down. The bull broke out of his traces almost immediately while the cow backed up, swung around, and faced the errant ghost.

Bugling, the young bill charged through The Commons, ripping one support pilon out of the ground with a shoulder, and destroying half a dozen tables. He charged onward, swerving sharply, then cut through The Community Events Center, wreaking havoc on one corner of the pavilion. He vanished down the path towards The Community Water Storage, and in a brief moment, they heard the sounds of barrels exploding and water bursting. Then he bugled again and the area grew quieter as the sounds of the bull thrashing through heavy jungle receded.

Within the crowd, Kultra stepped forward, flung out his hand, and the errant ghost froze and was immediately sucked into something in the drummer's hand. He did something with it, half concealed by the crowd, and shook his head. Then whatever was in his hand went into his pocket. "Ghosts running amok are not good. Pesky things." Some of the other denizens nodded, while several people moved to either move towards the cow and soothe her or turn to pursue Lars who was hot on the trail of his fleeing bull.

The two founders remained, so too did a slightly dwindled crowd. Word would spread though, and it would slowly grow as people would spot Lars chasing his Ashta bull through the settlement, with others jogging along to see if they could help. Mathias frowned. Randal didn't look impressed either, watched the strangers approached.

They eyed the young man who was stammering, then turned their attention on the woman who introduced everyone with a clear voice.

"Someone could have been seriously hurt by the antics of your ghost. Letting something like that run around uncontrolled when we have big animals doing dangerous tasks puts everyone at risk." Mathias said firmly, his brow a hard line of disapproval. "It's a good thing our Dummer took action." He added, glancing back at Kultra and nodding his thanks.

Kultra nodded back, with a decidedly 'no problem' tilt to his head.

"Now that you are here, is there something we can do for you? I'm not sure I've heard of this 'Lhavit', he added" Noting these people didn't look like tourists nor did they travel in the way of someone moving in. The ship didn't ride deep enough in the water.

Kultra had worked his way closer and raised an eyebrow. "Lhavit... a city in Kalea... full of Syna and Leth's ejected who tend to gather and feel sorry for themselves. It's run by some prominent human families who control via magic. You can't hold power there unless you have the right last name... by birth or marriage." The drummer supplied, reminding Mathias of what the city was. "They have a bunch of priests of Zintila there... and monks who worship how the body moves." He added, thinking deeply as if trying to dreg up any more facts. With a shrug, he shook his head, nodded, and left the description at that.

Mathias thanked him with a nod.

Then both Founder's attention swung back to Shari, who seemed to be the only one articulate enough to make proper introductions. "Again, how can we help you?" He said tightly, only half his attention on the newcomers. The other half was on the damage to The Commons - his mind already calculating how they would need to proceed with repairs.

Randal was concerned too. He kept scanning the newcomers and the crowd, almost like he was reconoitering the area.




.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 20551
Words: 5915349
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Moritz Craven on June 6th, 2021, 7:23 pm

By the time Moritz had caught his breath, keeping his feet in motion due to the hot sand, his more serious demeanor and frowning face had returned. While young he was not much for smiling, and tended to frown whenever he was deep in thought or concentrating.

The first thing he noticed though was Julan, or more so the ghosts absence.

He hadn't seen what had happened, had seen the ghost there on the log... And then the ghost... Wasn't there. Not in the way Moritz was familiar with, but in some other fashion.

This more than anything confused Moritz, as he felt that while he wasn't a master spiritist he'd seen a good bit at his home of dealing with ghosts but had not seen a ghost just... Vanish, in such a fashion.

Growing up in a household of people and animals with many ghosts coming and going spirits did not phase him, and it did not occur to him that an animal would run away just from a ghost coming near. Touching it, attacking it, yes, but just coming near, that he had not expected. Even among Lhavit, a somewhat isolated mountain city, he had been isolated for the most part in Infinity Manor and its particular set of oddities that were quite normal.

Considering such things and attempting at both introspection and how others considered things normal, Moritz viewpoint of today's events shifted. The wheels of social interaction combined with logic interweaving as one. While he did not agree with the peoples response, with that attention on their view he felt he at least now grasped their perspective to some degree. Something he had not even considered moments before while running on the beach or sitting quietly on the boat.

Trying to be clear but still looking about to find where Julan went, Moritz spoke.

"I apologize, that was not our intent. Julan is my... Well I suppose technically he's haunting me, but he's not a bad ghost. He was seven when he died, and to him he's still seven and always will be. He's been cooped up for awhile, its been a long trip, over a season, and he seems to have wanted to say hi or investigate when he saw all the people."

"Did you see where he went? And did he... Attack anyone? Or did he just startle the animals by coming near? I've never seen him attack anyone before, like I said he's a child, just playful not intentionally malicious, so I don't think he would attack anyone..."

"We've been on a ship traveling for over a season, and just made proper landfall. I know he's a ghost, but if you were seven and had been cooped up on a ship, and then saw a group of people, I imagine you'd want to say hi as well. And honestly... While he's not malicious, I don't know that he properly understands he's dead, so I doubt he would have considered he would startle anyone by just coming near. I assure you it won't happen again, and he will be firmly reprimanded. Assuming I find him... He wouldn't normally act like that, I think its just from being cooped up for so long he was... Overly exuberant at seeing land and people."

Speaking of the ghost made Moritz consider something else, leading to him examining the crowd. Where there any children in this city?

"Is there anything I or we can do to help, or fix whatever has been damaged?"

Eyeing the log Moritz canted his head, but was unsure his Okomo form would be able to pull it. Though only one of the beasts had run off...

"If you'd like I could try to help pull, though even in my other form I'm not as big as... Whatever these are... Maybe a bit over five foot at the shoulder. And a bit over half a ton in weight. But if you'd like I'm willing to try."

Hearing the mans explanation of Lhavit Moritz shrugged, not finding anything overly wrong with it, though he wasn't completely clear what he meant about the Ethaefal. Where they emotional? None of the ones he'd met where, but then he'd not met too many in truth so perhaps they were known for being as such.

Shari for her part seemed intent to hold her tongue at some of the mans comments, likely talking about her own job as a Shinya. But seeing as their party had just helped to damage the place, she perhaps felt more inclined to be careful in her response.

At the mans question and Moritz lack of knowledge on what they could do to help, Shari explained a bit further, catching the mans eye with her solid stare.

"Yes, well I think the boy is the best one to explain why we are here, I think he understands it best. At least now that he's managed to catch his breath and hasn't just sprinted across the beach. As for helping, we certainly will if we can. I'm a smith, mostly a weaponsmith but a smith if needed. Emmett is more of a sailor and scavenger. And Zelia is more of a builder, she can carve and build pretty well. So perhaps she'd be of the most aid. But she's still back on the ship helping Emmett. As for why we are here..."

At that the woman turned back to Moritz, who noticed the gaze and quickly spun back to the man asking questions. When he did speak it was once more in his normal deadpan delivery which did not seem to indicate any joking was intended. Or if it was it was quite well hidden. If nothing else Moritz seemed to believe what he was saying, odd as it was.

"Right. We are looking for Morwen. It seems she's off world, and passed through some magic gate to get there. A magic gate in the jungle. Which is why we are here. And that's also why she's been missing all this time. She went through this magic jungle gate, and then got captured on this other world. So we are looking for her. Do you know of any such place around here? Or did anyone see Morwen pass through around here? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Its of some urgency as it seems she's slowly being killed by her captor and if she's left too long she'll die."

WC: 1,074
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 278
Words: 355041
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Gossamer on June 7th, 2021, 2:20 am

Image
Several of the denizens were standing around shoeless, as if the hot sand didn't bother them much. Nor did the pebbles and various items found in the sand. Almost everyone in the settlement had toughened feet, because the sand was hard on leather sandals and the jungle routinely destroyed good boots. The perpetual dampness took its toll on anything leather, even when waterproofed.

Mathias was disturbed by the newcomers, allowing a ghost to run rampant. They'd never had an accident with the Ashta for the whole time the settlement had been using the placid creatures. There was no excuse, not even the shape of the young man's eyes, or the fact that the young man stated it was not his intent. Intent didn't mean anything to Mathias. Action did. "You should have foreseen his behavior knowing this about him and controlled him as any good parent would. If you are not his parent or don't take responsibility for him, then you shouldn't be dragging him around with you." Mathias said, his voice full of irritation. "Again, his age and circumstance don't excuse bad behavior and behavior that potentially endangers the people here." He said firmly.


"Kultra has him, and I doubt he will be passing him back to you anytime soon. You haven't demonstrated the ability nor desire to reign him in properly, young man." Mathias said firmly, glancing back at the drummer who nodded in agreement. "Kultra took responsibility or the cow might have charged or bolted too," Mathias explained. He had no problems with the confiscation of a wayward ghost that wasn't behaving itself. There weren't many children here for a reason. And the ones that visited did so with the understanding they'd properly behave.

Mathias paused then, letting Mortiz ramble a bit. He once more explained why the ghost misbehaved, but it sounded like a lot of excuses for Mathias. The boy continued on, asking if he could help fix or pull at the logs, even though it was one of those things Mathias suspected he wasn't going to be able to deal with.

"You've already done enough." He said firmly to the boy.


To Shari, he added. "If we are out here fixing tables and chairs in the next couple of days, you can assist if you'd like. There's a forge the community uses, and a communal kitchen as well." He gestured towards both locations, visible from where they stood.

Glancing at the huge wooden logs the elephants had been handling. "The logs will have to be dragged by the Ashta. Leave it to them." He said firmly, then shook his head.

The crowd had grown bigger now, with more people wandering closer, while not appearing to wander closer. There were truly not that many people in Syka... less than a hundred.

When Mortiz started to speak again, after Shari's brief statement, the citizens all turned their attention to the boy to listen. No one said anything but then again no one looked surprised when the boy finished speaking. Mathias looked at Randal who looked at Kultra, and then turned to another larger man that stood on the far side of them now. That man nodded, looking the boy over curiously.

"How did you come by this information." The man said gently. His voice had a tone to it that was older than his appearance. He was wide, tall, and had intense eyes that looked otherworldly. Another person, a female, stepped closer to them as if she were just hearing what the boy had said. She was blond, with snake-like scales across her face patterned in blue and cream.

"Seladonna." The new man said, nodding to her as she stepped forward.

She nodded at the man. "Vas." She replied, something unspoken passing between them. They turned, together, and studied the boy waiting for him to explain further where he came about his information. The settlement, it seemed, wasn't inclined to get excited about someone knowing Morwen's location or that someone from outside of Syka knew about the worldgate.






.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 20551
Words: 5915349
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Moritz Craven on June 7th, 2021, 10:28 pm

While Moritz feet were calloused from his constant walking about barefoot, the heat of the sand was still a bit much for the young kelvics bare feet. Pebbles and small bits of things were one thing, searing heat another, which forced the boy to continue to shuffle about slowly rather than standing completely in place.

When the man stated Moritz should have foreseen the incident and stopped it before it happened he was shocked into silence. His mind spinning he tried to process the mans words, but they simply did not make sense.

It took him a bit to work out what the man meant, though it still did not make sense to him. He was expected to have... Already known and anticipated? How was unclear, but clearly this man thought such things should have been common knowledge and Moritz should have therefore known this and acted accordingly.

Confusion turned to anger, turned to more confusion, turned to a cool calm. He was trying to make himself clear in such matters, but clearly the man was rather particular on how he saw things. And while Moritz was doing his best to understand others point of view when running into a completely new culture, this man clearly had no intention of doing so. Disinterested, uncaring, or just stuck in his ways, he seemed certain his viewpoint and understanding was the common one and that Moritz should hold that same viewpoint and understanding.

Meeting Mathias gaze Moritz fought the urge to bow his head, though he still unintentionally lowered his head a hair. Lowering ones head was a sign among Okomo of preparing to attack. As if about to butt ones head against something. Ironically this was the opposite expression for a human, and generally meant surrender or obsequiousness. That was not Moritz intention, though by body language alone it might appear as such.

"How could I have foreseen the behavior and stopped it, when I didn't know it was a thing until now? I've never seen an animal go wild before just because a Ghost goes near. All the times I've seen an animal they were fine with a ghost being near."

Frowning Moritz thought on this statement before continuing.

"Though if that is true and such is common... Animals freaking out with ghosts coming near... In retrospect the only times I've seen a ghost near a animal was at my home, and there are ghosts all over the place since my mother is a Spiritist. Well that and I think the house kind of likes them, though it also likes people so... So perhaps the animals I'd seen before had simply grown accustomed to ghosts being about, and aren't within the norm. But I did not know that, so how exactly could I foresee that being an issue? Plus he isn't normally like that, doesn't normally charge people, as I've said he's never done that before it was only because he was cooped up on the long trip which he's never been on before. So how should I then have foreseen that action, the animals and Julans response when both were far outside of the normal of my past experience?"

Inspecting the crowd for a moment Moritz turned his eyes back to the man, his expressionless square Okomo eyes staring with their odd colorful Iraso marks.

"I am not his parent, nor do I own him. And I didn't drag him along. For Dira's sake he's a ghost, not a thing. Julan is my friend. He chose to come along when I came here. Neither of us understood the possible impact of his actions. People make mistakes. Cultures differ, as it seems to have done here. But how can people learn if you punish them before they understand what they did wrong? Are people put to death or punished for making a single mistake they didn't realize would harm anyone else here? I'm a child as well. I can't promise I won't make any more. But I will do my best to make amends for any I do make, and will not make the same mistake twice. But I have to know something is a problem before I can know not to do it."

Julan in truth was Moritz only friend, he silently thought to himself, though this was something he did not voice.

"As I said I will do whatever is needed to make up for his actions, and I promise it won't happen again. But as I said he is my friend."

Turning to eye the other man, Kultra, Moritz attempted to meet his gaze.

"What exactly did you do to Julan? Where is he? Is he hurt or... What did you do to him exactly? Or... What is happening to him?"

When others came up and began asking questions Moritz turned to them, wondering on the one who seemed to have scales, but wasn't overly concerned on such things. Magic? Or not human? Moritz knew there were many races he knew nothing of. However at that moment his mind was concerned about his friend, and he knew that needed to be sorted before he started prattling on about other topics.

"I promise I will fully explain, and answer any questions you have about it. It is urgent, but it can wait a chime. First I must know what happened to my friend. Then I promise I will answer whatever you want."

Turning to the man who had apparently done... Something... To Julan, Moritz uttered something he did not too often.

"Please. I need to know."

WC: 928
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 278
Words: 355041
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Gossamer on June 8th, 2021, 3:23 am

Image
Every move Mortiz made was watched. Every emotion that crossed his face was examined. He wouldn't have been taken so seriously, yet the words he spoke threatened to expose Syka and threatened far more than the boy playing at being a man had any clue about. His confusion was read. His anger was read. Even his aggression was noted.

Mathias crossed his arms over his chest. "You knew he was of a seven year old's mentality. You knew he'd been couped up. You knew he was apt to run excitedly about. Such things can be anticipated and controlled. Yet you say you are not his parent, nor do you own him. So you indeed won't take responsibility to control him. Kultra evidently acted appropriately then." The oldest Founder said thoughtfully.

"And now you stand here, a stranger in a strange land, after witnessing an incredibly dangerous situation you continue to make excuses over, and lecture us by applying your ethics to a situation in our homeland where you are only a guest?" He added, his own irritation growing. He was being lectured by a child.

Mathias started to say something, but Mortiz raged on. He let the boy say his piece before he added his own.

"And still, you go further, admitting you are only a child." The founder shook his head. By now many many of the people milling about were frowning, looking angry even, and that emotion was directed at Mortiz, not their leader.

Kultra snorted. "His arrogance is out of bounds. I suspect this one comes from one of the ruling families of Lhavit and has rarely been told no or had his toys taken from him.." He added, shaking his head. "Who gives a child a ghost as a toy anyhow?" He muttered, fingering something in his pocket.

The Drummer met Mortiz's gaze, then shrugged. "That is none of your concern." He said, anger rising in him. A child was demanding answers of him. A child was negotiating with him. A child was begging.

"No.... that is definitely none of your concern." He repeated, then gave Mortiz a lazy slow smile, rocking back on his heels and stuffing his hands in his pockets. It was almost a challenge. It was almost a dare. It was as if he wanted to see just how far the spoiled boy would go.

Mathias started to say something, paused, then seemed to change his mind. "I think you'd better get back on that ship and turn it around towards home before anything else happens. You've been here five chimes and already overstayed your welcome with your excuses, your demands, and your drama." He added, not feeling his usual hospitable self any longer.

.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 20551
Words: 5915349
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Moritz Craven on June 8th, 2021, 11:29 am

The more the men spoke the more their viewpoint became clear. They saw Moritz as one thing, and were unwilling to see anything else. In his attempt to understand, to explain, to make clear, something he strived for in life when he did not understand something, they had seen only excuses. Which had not been his intention in speaking, but had been seen that way.

He still didn't understand how he could have known things he did not know, nor that he could have anticipated such things. How the animals would react particularly as he'd never seen one act as such around an animal.

A cold dread was slowing drifting up his body, swamping out any other emotion, and he felt an odd clutching in his chest. The air also seemed oddly hollow, like it was not properly make its way into his body. He did his best to stay calm and ward off the dread, and took a long breath and slowly let it out to try to stave off the invading coldness in the warm jungle heat. The dread wasn't for himself but his friend, and for Morwen. He simply had wanted to help. Someone was to die, and if he did nothing they would. And somehow things had gone horribly wrong.

"I could explain about my family, if you want, but from what you've said my explanations have been taken as excuses. That wasn't my intent, though it seems I communicated it that way. If what I said was unclear then I apologize for that as well. That clearly to me now was not taken well. I made a mistake with Julan, and want to make it right. It was my mistake, not his. I am sorry for what happened, and simply want to make amends."

For some reason he could hear a steady drumming in his ears, laid across the backdrop of the surrounding speech but coming from within him. Did he have a drum inside him he had never heard before? Sometimes its pace changed, but for the most part it was a fast beat.

Moritz took a moment to think things through, unsure on the words to say... I was just trying to explain my view, so you could understand what happened. Not to excuse it. Have none of you ever made a mistake before? A mistake born of a lack of understanding, of a lack of knowledge? Have you never learned from it, and tried to make it right afterward? Even something as simple as putting the wrong ingredient in a soup, or cooking something too long... But he understood now that as well would be seen as making excuses.

"My mistake was great, I understand now. I did not before. And I just want to make it right. To fix what is my fault. To make amends. To do whatever needs to be done."

When the man spoke with anger at Moritz regarding his request to explain what had happened to Julan, Moritz paused to take another breath. His drum beat seemed angry, and was beating all the harder inside of him. Rather than speaking he took another, and the drum seemed to ease a bit, but not much. When he next spoke it was specifically to the ghost man, who seemed incensed by Moritz request for clarity. Something that further confused Moritz.

"Would you have me abandon a friend? Abandon them to an unknown fate? I don't even know if he's dusted. If he's in pain. Something due to my mistake, my lack of knowledge. I only asked out of concern for him. Just because he's a ghost doesn't mean I don't care for him, don't want to see him die or in pain. He's my friend... My only friend. And I've failed him. I only ask out of that concern. Do you truly ask me to abandon him? What kind of person would I be then?"

Turning back to Mathias and his pronouncement Moritz nodded, hearing his words.

"If you insist I leave I will do so. But I ask that you please let me stay. To let me make things right. How will I ever make things right if I leave? I made a mistake. More than one it seems in talking and trying to understand that first one. I just want to do what I can to make things right. Is there nothing I can do to stay, to make amends and make things right? Is there no way I can stay and fix things? I am many things, but I am not a liar, and I am a... Person of my word. Admittedly not a man, but a person still. I give my word that if you let me stay, I will do whatever is needed to make things right. Words can be hollow however. I know that. Will you let me stay and prove that word by action?"

As Moritz finished speaking and waited to hear a response he saw something he had never seen before. An odd blackness edging in on the horizon. Normally due to his Okomo eyes he could see quite far on the peripheral, though less on the vertical. Now he could see a blackness slowly edging in, as he took another slow breath and let it out. His breathing was a simple meditation technique he had been taught before that did not seem to quiet the drumming inside him. Because of that his breathing was constant, solid, but he still felt like the air was not properly reaching him and the same cold dread gripped him. And the odd clutching in his chest wrenched.

WC: 943
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 278
Words: 355041
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A Lean a Landing[Gossamer]

Postby Gossamer on June 9th, 2021, 4:30 am

Image
The young man didn't seem to understand anything about polite society nor about first impressions. He'd made excuses, repeatedly, and now he was making demands. Mathias had raised children, many in fact, and none of them acted like this one had. Of course, he hadn't set them loose upon the world before the they were fully mature and knew how to act as adults.

"We don't care about your family, kid." Mathias said, the irritation growing in his voice. He was a patient man by nature, but this kid was pushing his luck.

And then... came the excuses again. It wasn't Mortiz's intention. It wasn't his fault. And then... the 'it was my mistake'. Stating the obvious didn't help the kid's case any further. Mathias could only turn his attention from the kid and look to the adults with him. The woman, Shari, had said little and had not gotten involved. He wondered at that. Were the others here as 'guards'? They seemed to be since Shari deferred to the boy, which was half the problem here. None of the adults had stepped in. None of them had interfered. They seemed to be just observers, and that was odd.

Lars picked that moment to walk back into view, the young bull ashta on his heels. The bull acted nervous, but followed Lars until he came to a halt next to the cow. The two Ashta nuzzled each other, seemed to confer about the goings on, and stood quietly with Lars while the sawmill owner examined what was left of the harness the bull had broken. "No more pulling today." He announced to no one in particular. The whole of the traces needed to be replaced. Stretched and broken; they couldn't be repaired by patches.

Mathias and the rest of the community noted that the ashta were alright and hadn't been hurt charging off into the jungle. The boy wouldn't know what the pachyderms meant to the community and how hard they'd struggled before they had the heavy lifters around or even the sawmill. In fact, Mathias doubted by the way this kid acted that he'd ever struggled a moment in his life.

But... then the kid started talking again.

And honestly? It was just a drone in Mathias' ear. A headache was rising in his skull and the kid's words all blurred together. The angst of youth, their terrible mix of ignorance and nobility, never failed to make him shake his head in disgust. If the ghost was really the kid's friend... and he'd been so understanding of the ghost's situation... what did he say? Confined on a ship and bored? Then he would have made sure the ghost had itself under control before they all bailed out of that ship like this was some sort of tourist destination and existed to entertain them.


Ghosts weren't normal on a good day. They were trapped in this world, unable or unwilling to pass on, and to keep one as a ... pet.... was disgusting. The boy talked of the ghost as if it were a dog or something. Mathias' disgust rose.


Yet still, the kid kept talking. Mathias glanced at Randal, who was watching Kultra as he walked away. The drummer hadn't offered the kid back his ghost and Mathias suspected he wouldn't if he hadn't by now. Glancing back at Randal, the older Founder thought perhaps Randal thought the same thing. The Drummer was a wildcard, one that didn't often act, but once he did, it was usually for a good reason.

"You've more than overstayed your welcome. Your 'friend' jeopardized this whole community while you stood by. And frankly, I couldn't care less what your word means. You are a child. You've been acting like a child. You were asked a specific question, you refused to answer immediately. And I won't make 'deals' with children. I suspect you won't remotely follow rules here or even show the others the courtesy they deserve. And that's what this community is about. Everyone here is equal, has respect for each other, and helps each other out. We don't endanger each other." He said thoughtfully, shaking his head.

Then Mathias continued on. "And you seem to travel with guards, albeit silent ones that let you talk and talk when you should simply be listening." With that, Mathias turned dismissively from the boy and looked towards the woman who was his companion.

"You aren't welcome here. Please take this child back to wherever he came from... Lhavit or whatever else. We are normally welcoming to newcomers, but I won't put up with this child throwing his weight around here when he hasn't even seen...." He paused then and Randal stepped in.

"He's a year or two... at the very most." The younger Founder supplied, looking thoughtful and shaking his head.

"Yes, well, when he hasn't even seen a decade yet." Mathias finished. "This didn't need to happen like this. Shari, you should have stepped forward and took control of the situation. This child should not be your mouthpiece." He added, shaking his head once more. HIs headache was growing.

Randal put a hand on Mathias' shoulder.

The Founders normally never strong-armed the community. They never pushed their weight around. They provided loans, slowly build the settlement, and was growing the security of the entire settlement so they could have a secure base to do what needed to be done here.

He had more to say, more about what Mortiz had let spill dangerously from his lips. He said things that the Founders, the Verusk, and even some of the citizens knew. And truthfully if word got out, they'd be inundated with every Morwen marked fanatic in Mizahar. But Mathias wasn't into killing kids. He wasn't even into casting them out. But he owed nothing to this kid that didn't even seem to know when to shut up.

"You letting him walk away with that kind of knowledge?" Seladonna asked Mothias suddenly, quietly, under her breath for Mathias' ears only. The Founder gave a slight nod.

"He isn't the type to keep what he knows to himself. Everyone who has ever met him or is related or even sent him here knows. It's too late for any sort of damage control." Mathias replied, stepping back to give himself some privacy with Seladonna for a few breaths. "Let him go." He advised. "Perferably in peace." He added.

She nodded. "I doubt he'll leave without his toy."

Mathias shrugged. "Good luck to him getting the thing back from Kultra."

And with that, their brief conversation was over. They both turned expectantly, with Randal right beside them, hopeful the boy would depart.


.
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
User avatar
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.
 
Posts: 20551
Words: 5915349
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: Founder
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests