[Sanctuary] Black Clouds and Blood Red Rain (Private)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Seth on March 14th, 2011, 5:23 am

The 8th day of Spring, 511 AV.

And the blood of brave men was shed like unto the shedding of rain from a black cloud.

It hadn't rained yet.

To those who were new to Riverfall, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. They didn't understand how wildly the weather shifted around these parts. Most areas within Mizahar had a set weather pattern, and that is what most foreign travelers would be used to. Syliria had it's ever-so-warm weather, while Taldera had its eternal winter. Riverfall, however... it wasn't satisfied to simply stay put in one boring climate. When summer came along, the tempatures shot through the roof. When fall came, they would drop sharply, and bring blustering winds along with the sudden cold. Then winter approaches, and suddenly, already sharp winds become almost dangerous gusts. The wild lands have a habit of spraying giant drifts of snow towards Riverfall, depositing them right atop the magnificent city. Then comes spring, and spring... it brings rain. It usually brings a lot of rain.

But it was a week into Spring, and not a single drop of rain had been seen. For those who were familiar with the weather "patterns" of Riverfall, this would bring about a sense of unease. Riverfall rarely deviated from its normal weather, and by now, there should have already been a couple of good storms. Ever since Winter had passed though, a definite chill had remained in the air, but the sun had shined brightly. There hadn't been a single cloud in the sky. Not for the entire week.

Then, with the turning of the 7th day into the 8th... there came clouds. Dark and foreboding clouds that rolled in from the ocean, setting up for what looked to be a massive thunderstorm. The clouds stretched to the edge of the ocean horizon, as far as the eye could see. It looked as if Mother Nature had been building her attack for the first week of Spring, and was now planning on unleashing it upon the poor settlement of Riverfall. That was okay. The minute the clouds had begun to approach, Riverfall had begun to get ready. It would be a simple matter of securing loose objects, getting a good amount of food indoors, and bracing ones self for the torrent that was to come. Riverfall was used to rain.

They were about to get a ton of it.

It was mid-day.

A trio of dark figures approached the Sanctuary, dark brown cloaks protecting them from the first few drops of warm rain. The sky was dark with storm clouds, and the air was filled with bits of a steady drizzle. A slight wind had picked up, and it swirled the cloaks of the oncoming visitors, revealing a bit of leather clothes underneath their outer protection. Armor? Or simply a style choice for woodsmen? One of the dark figures stepped ahead of the others, and held up his hand, motioning for the other two to stop. They quietly obeyed, taking their places to either side of the Sanctuary front porch. One looked up to the sky, studying the dark clouds, and then bowed his head, shaking it with a bit of a dejected feel to him. He didn't want to be out here when the heavens really let loose.

The lead dark figure quickly climbed the stairs that led to the Healing clinic. He was swift, but loud, big leather boots banging on the steps. When he reached the top, he extended a rough hand to give the door a hard knock, and then retreated it, standing there as a cloaked dark statue.

OOCAll players should make sure state their current locations according to the Sanctuary floor plan and layout for me! Thanks so much, and I hope to have fun with you!
Seth
Retired Staff

Words: 100299
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Kavala on March 16th, 2011, 5:23 pm

ImageKavala answered the door slowly. The weather had her feet swollen and because she was near her time she'd had to walk to the latrine about fifteen times just that morning. Mixing up batches of painease in the clinic most of the morning had occuped her time. It was a mild sedative that acted a lot like willow bark did on humans to ease headaches and body aches and general pain. She had been creating the stuff by the gallons to store in powered form because the mares of Sanctuary were getting ready to foal and she had to be ready. Along with the pain ease, she'd been laundering towels and rolling out cotton bandages for any and all purposes.

She'd worked too hard and it showed in the slowness of her steps and the weariness of her gaze.

What Kavala really wanted right then and there was a nap, with her feet up in the sun, and a bowl of fruit sweetened with sugar to ease her way into it. The storm had her worried though and kept her from indulging in that one little desire. Storms could mean trouble, no rain could mean a lot of rain was on the way. She had broodmares close into the house, and some of her best stock out on the grass. Most of the mares were in the arena, singled out and assigned birthing positions in Kavala's mind. Jinibi and Glow were just days away if the way their stomachs dropped and their hind ends had gone flacid were any indication. She checked the whole band relentlessly, watching for changes, progress, and signs of birthing coming soon. It kept her mind off her own delivery bound to happen shortly.

But by Rak'keli she wanted to sit down.

And the knock annoyed her. Looking around, waiting for someone else to get the door, she finally gave up and shuffled towards it. Opening it firmly, she planted a smile on her face and greeted the newcommers in a friendly fashion. "Hello. How can I help you today?" She asked looking over the three carefully..

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lakara on March 16th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Lakara had been cleaning for most of the late-morning. The surgery had not been in use yet today, so she had felt the need to scrub it down. Once she was satisfied that every surface - including the floor - was gleaming, she had given the exam room next door the same treatment. It was hard work, but she didn't mind too much. After all, somebody had to do it. She had plans to take Xypher out in the afternoon anyway. She felt that she had been neglecting him of late. She hadn't been, of course, but she was used to spending every waking minute with her horse during her travels, so suddenly finding herself with a whole day of work to do made it seem that way.

Well, she would take him out if the rains didn't fall. She vaguely remembered her childhood in Riverfall, and how it always rained during the first week of Spring. There hadn't been even a hint of rain yet this Season, and it was a little strange to the Konti. Though she had not been around this part for years now, so the pattern may have changed. Unlikely, but still. As she scrubbed a counter in the exam room, she glanced out of the window. Dark clouds were looming overhead, a sure sign of rain if there ever was one. And it didn't seem like the usual rain either. When these clouds finally let loose their water, it would come down heavy, that Lakara could tell. Her mind went to the horses. She knew that some were close to birthing now, and the Konti wondered if the coming storm would have any effect on the mares. But they would have to deal with that when the time came.

A faint noise of boots on the front steps bought Lakara from her thoughts. Whoever it was must really be heavy-footed for her to be able to hear it back in the examination room. She paused at the rapping on the door. With the amount of people around the Sanctuary, there must be someone closer than herself. When it appeared that no one was opening it, she set down her towel and made her way into the foyer. Kavala was just opening the door as she stepped in, and she quickly walked to her side, with a soft,"Sorry," to her 'mentor'. She didn't like the thought of Kavala having to go out of her way to do something at the moment, being so heavily pregnant.
When she saw the trio of hooded figures that stood outside, a small frown worked onto the Konti's brow. They didn't seem entirely...trustworthy? She always felt uneasy around people who hid their faces. But, she hastened to follow Kavala's lead by smoothing her face into a smile.
"Yes, what can we do for you?"

OOCKavala, nudge me if there is no window in the exam room and I'll edit that part. From your diagram it looks like there may be, but I thought I should check just in case.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Words: 29603
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 17th, 2011, 2:03 am

The Spring air ran playfully through grass as Riki walked through the Garden with Sadie. She raced through the grass chasing a butterfly while Riki watched a pair of people walking toward the Sanctuary. Usually Riki would be overjoyed to see a pair of people approaching his new home but he could not help but feel a little worried. They were cloaked for one, always a bad sign. His eyes darted over to Sadie who was still scampering around in the garden in pursuit of her butterfly prey. As long as she didn't leave the garden he would not worry. If the strangers even looked wrong at the dog he would not hesitate to act rashly, even if it meant he would have to heal them after.

Inching closer to the edge of the garden Riki would see the pair knocking on the door to the Sanctuary. Kavala would know what to do, right? He was worried a bit. Kavala was very far along in her pregnancy and if the men tried something with her the baby, not to mention Kavala herself would be in danger. "Sadie, get over here." Sadie continued to hop around, snapping at the air with her jaws. "Sadie Stormheart, here!" Sadie looked at Riki with a confused look and scampered over to his side. "What is going on with those people?" Sadie let out a little whine as she stood next to Riki. "We need to get closer. What if they hurt Kavala or Lakara?"

Quietly Riki walked toward the entrance to the Sanctuary to see Lakara and Kavala standing in the entrance. He walked around the two hooded figures to stand at Lakara's side. Sadie squeezed herself in between the two. Riki stood tall, hoping to show the two newcomers that these women were not dwelling here alone and they were not easy prey. He stood quiet. The two Konti had said all that needed to be said.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mizuriel on March 19th, 2011, 6:23 pm

OOCSorry, I failed to post for a bit, but I’m playing catch up now :).

Mizuriel was running after Samantha through the courtyard of the Sanctuary, wondering why couldn’t have her favorite hobby be drawing. He liked to play with her, but now really wasn’t the time to kid around, as he still needed to get inside, and Sam needed a bath as soon as possible. The weather did nothing but add to his worried tone when he shouted after the girl: “Come on, we are going inside. It looks like it will rain s….” there he stopped as he could see her standing still. He quickly came next to her, and looked in the same direction she was looking.

As soon as he saw the hooded figures, he knew something was out of the ordinary. It was not so much the fact that they had three strangers in front of the main building that upset him, it was the sinister feeling he was getting while observing them. Finally picking Samantha up from the ground and carrying her towards the veranda, he wondered why were they here? What did they want?

As he got closer, he could see more than just three unknown figures; Kavala, Lakara and Riki were also there. As he got closer, he quickly slid between the strangers and stood next to Riki. He let Sam back to the ground, and the first thing she did was hide behind his legs, except for her head which was inspecting the obscure individuals. Mizuriel could feel tension rise within him as he awaited for something to happen and ease the awkward silence.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on March 25th, 2011, 4:06 am

There was a slight pause in the cloaked figure's reply, as more and more people were interrupting the scene. Kavala would actually hear the man open his mouth and take a breath, as if readying a sentence... but then came Lakara, chiming in to Kavala's welcome. The hooded figure gave a quick nod, and once again, came the quick breath, and this time, about half of a word. Then, Riki and his dog burst into the scene, who also received a brief nod from the stranger. This time, he just patiently waited, cocking his head to the side as if now expecting another interruption. Right on time, Mizuriel came into view. Just like the rest, the human received a short nod in greeting, and then the cloaked figure went back to being a stone cold statue. Apparently he wasn't fond of being interrupted, and wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. A few moments of awkward silence would surround the group, until the stranger finally responded.

"Yes. You can help me." The two figures in the back stepped forward, as if on cue, making their way up the stairs slowly. They would prove as a distraction almost, if only a brief one. It would prove to be enough, though. "Kavala."

The man moved, his cloak flapping to the side, a bare arm flashing out from underneath his woolen garment. There was a steel dagger in hand, and quicker than the eye could follow, the tip was suddenly pressed with deadly accuracy at the very peak of Kavala's swollen belly. The sharp end of the blade cut through clothes like butter, and the Konti woman would suddenly realize the horror of it all. That cold steel blade was pressing to her stomach. He wasn't just threatening her. He was threatening her child.

It all happened so quickly. They could react if they wanted, they could interrupt any of the following events. But would they dare, with such a dangerous hostage being held?

"Don't move." The cold voice echoed out across the room, his naked and muscled arm holding the dagger steady. "If I see anyone move, then I will carve the poor baby from her womb. I will take great pleasure in delivering the beloved child, but who knows if such a premature birth is... healthy. I can't say if I have the proper tools, either." With a flick of the wrist, the lightest of scratches would be drawn across Kavala's stomach. Just a small scratch, one that was just deep enough to barely draw the lightest hints of blood. "And you." The man nodded toward Riki, his voice deep and full of authority. "You will keep the dog under control. I may forgive the slightest of twitches from the beast... but anything more than that, and you know what happens." He glanced to Mizuriel next, giving him a few words as well. "The same goes for the whelp."

The two men pushed their way past what one could assume was their leader, and took positions on either side of him. One of them produced a coil of rope from underneath his cloak, shaking and trembling hands holding the simple tool. The other one simply stood, silent. The leader spoke again, still using that deep, cold, dangerous tone. "You will choose one person to lead one of my associates to the Nightwalker and Strider mix. Omni, I believe it was? The rest will be tied up by my other associate. Then, you shall lead me to wherever you hold the notes on your new breed of horse. Every note related to it, I want it."

They weren't just here for the horses. They were here for everything! They were here for one of the most important projects in the Sanctuary, if not the most important! It was something each of them had likely had a hand in, and something each of them might feel at least a little protective over! The new breed of horse!

To any of those who had held their head enough to study the three strangers, two odd things had stood out. The first was the trembling and shaking of the man who held the rope. To be more specific, it was his hands that were shaking. It wasn't a mere chill. The Sanctuary people were skilled in medicine. He was trembling for some other reason.

And then... the leader. He was naked underneath his cloak, which had been revealed when he had shot out an arm, just for a split second, before the cloak had fallen back into place. He was completely nude.
Seth
Retired Staff

Words: 100299
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Hatot on March 28th, 2011, 3:47 am

OOCSorry about the delay in my post. If I'm too late, let me know and I'll delete.
Hatot stood at the center of his class, his arms folded as six Akalak children and two adult humans, one male and the other female, repeatedly plunged their hands into bowls of sands, giving quick, exhaled shouts with each thrust. He soon began pacing around the room, observing each student individually. When he finally stopped in front of the female human, he noticed a grimacing twitch appear on her face each time she plunged her left hand into the bowl of sand. When her right hand drew back again, Hatot’s eyes narrowed for a moment before a frown crossed his features. His hand blurred out faster than any of the other students could see before long fingers wrapped around the woman’s wrist, stopping the advance of her strike into the sand. “Hold,” Hatot said to her before his gaze moved to the rest of the students in his school. “That does not extent to all of you so that you may gawk. Continue your training.”

Quickly the rest of the students began striking the sands once again, their shouts filling the training room. Slowly Hatot raised the woman’s hand up to her shoulder height, his gaze peering down at her fingers to note that one of them was crooked, slightly swollen, and beginning to turn blue. Hatot’s gaze the rose to his student’s face as she looked back at him with determination on her face. Still, there was a hint of pain and fear in her eyes, and she winced slightly as Hatot, lightly pressed his finger on the swollen joint, barely adding any pressure. “You instinctively learn to block out pain.” Hatot then said as he other hand began moving along her wrist, pressing lightly into her flesh. “This is good for when you are fighting for you life, but it is not necessary to go to such extremes during practice.”

The woman blinked a couple of times then, all facial expressions of pain leaving her face before she looked up to Hatot with surprise. “It is a temporary stop, Heather.” Hatot then explained, “I simply manipulated one of your nerves and blocked pain receptors. It will fade however within a half bell.”

Hatot then began lightly pressing along her finger, palpating the bone beneath. “It is broken. You almost split it like a wishbone.” Hatot then informed before looking up to Heather once again. “Your training is done for today. Seek out Kavala at Sanctuary and see if she would be willing to heal your injury. If not, go to the medical center.”

Heather then slowly gave a nodded bow to Hatot, a hint of disappointment in her face over the lessons for today ending, but in the end, she didn’t feel like arguing with the Akalak who had offered to train her without suggesting she pay with a child to Riverfall instead of Mizas. Hatot looked on to the rest of the students then as they continued their training. “Continue for five chimes, then rest before breaking off into four groups, and begin practice on the training dolls.” Hatot then said. “Aim for the coxal joint, patella bone and under the mandibular.”

Hatot then slowly moved to the door, peering outside of it as he saw Heather racing towards Sanctuary as fast as her feet would carry her. A slow nod of approval was given to her effort and discipline. She was one of the few humans he had come across that would catch Wysar’s glance. Eventually, however, he looked past her and up towards Sanctuary. He would have to visit there when he sent the rest of his students out on their own run when they finished practicing on the training dolls.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on March 28th, 2011, 6:17 pm

ImageKavala couldn't help but curl her lips into a smile as the she answered the door and then was almost instantly flanked by more help than she needed. Last season she'd been worried about how she'd see things through when she was basically too fat to do much more than walk. Rak'keli had provided and now two very capable healers flanked her. They always seemed to be there when one of them needed help. Her gratitude went beyond simply being defined as 'deep' because it meant Sanctuary was running smoothly and exactly the way she wanted it too - like a well greased wagon wheel. But when they were flanked and a dagger poked into her stomach, Kavala froze. The blade dipped into her flesh, tasting her blood, and something in her snapped.

Her face lost all its animation and her eyes grew completely blank.

flashback :

She was instantly someplace different, harder, a place she never wanted to remember. Stretched out on the grass, staked hand and foot, her body wearing nothing but sunlight. She was sore, swollen and torn from the inside out because they'd used her again. ^They'd had to stake her because she'd fought them. One wouldn't be walking for a while, though the others hadn't let him do more than backhand her for her insolence. There were other women there, ones that wouldn't fight, and he'd moved on to them. As monstrous as they were, not all of them liked her Drykas spirit. Most of them liked the women who were meek and broken already, the ones that would follow instructions with hollow eyes.

Her thighs were sticky and her lips swollen almost shut from unwanted kisses and bites. She was terribly thirsty and her gills were dry and irritated because soil and plant material was pressed up against them. One of the slavers, the one that liked her best, was back. She smelled him before he came into her line of sight. Turning her head away, she looked at the sky on the opposite side of her line of vision, counting the clouds and looking for shapes in them. She expected to hear his clothing being rearranged to accommodate what was coming next. Then his weight would be on her, and he'd be in her and all around her and subjecting her to his will in a way that she mentally could not think about - not then, not ever. He'd already been there, with her, minutes before - several of them had - and she was surprised he was back so soon. Not that she could do anything about it. She'd already learned regardless of how she fought, it would change nothing.

He smiled as his hand clamped her chin and drew her face around so she had no choice but to look at him. He smiled, displaying his stained teeth, and called her Sukavita in Pavi which was the name of a tiny white snowflower. Her azure gaze met his, dull, and not exactly what he wanted. He liked fear, loved it, and when he could not get it to show up in her gaze, he invented new things. Today there was a new thing. He unsheathed a dagger and showed it to her. "Pain is a funny thing. Pleasure and pain are so closely linked its not even funny. I want to hear you scream for me, Sukavita. I want you to shiver and shake and beg for my touch. I can do it, girl. I've done it with others. And my little friend here is going to help me." He said softly, then slowly dropped the dagger to her flesh, starting at the exact center of her stomach, and began making shallow cuts to artistically carve into her skin. It hurt more than all the men using her body had. His touch was delicate, light and dedicated. He danced across her flesh with the blade until she was screaming in pain and her stomach was coated in blood. Crimson pooled in her naval like a ruby held their by a piercing. And he didn't stop for a long time, not that day, not the tenth day.

But something happened to her - inside her - as she endured. At first she hated the blade, was terrified of it, and sometimes she screamed when she could hold back no longer due to the pain. But those screams didn't satisfy him. They amused others and got them worked up, but not him. Her tormentor was the worst kind of monster and kept etching her skin until one day something in her snapped. Kavala understood, clinically, that it was a coping mechanism for her situation, a way for her brain to handle what was happening to her body over and over again. But the day she died, really died to herself, was the day he didn't come and didn't bring the blade. She... missed it. After weeks of crying and screaming and hating it, suddenly she didn't fight it. Suddenly she wanted it. Suddenly she needed it. And when he did return, and brought it back to taste her flesh once more, it felt... good. So good. She shuddered and cried out and writhed beneath its touch. And the man's eyes warmed then, filled with something monstrous and satisfying, and Kavala knew herself lost. Her tears fell then, quite freely, not for the loss of her freedom or for the pain, but for the loss of her soul.

She jerked then, coming back to the present, and gasp. It wasn't a gasp of pain or surprise, instead it seemed weirdly out of place as red bloomed on the front of her oversized tunic. Anger flashed in her eyes, not really directed at the man in front of her wielding the dagger, but at the other man - the one in the past - who changed her whole outlook on pain.

Hatot would have understood. He wouldn't have liked her reaction, but he would have recognized it. Radris might have even laughed. Threatening Kavala with a dagger was a lot like threatening a child with a lollipop. It wasn't that she was any sort of warrior, it just didn't make her afraid. If anything, she had an unnatural attachment to daggers. And more importantly, though she was new to them completely, she understood how to hold them, how to use them, and how to interrupt said holds and uses.

Threatening her child though, was another story. The Konti didn't say a word. She didn't cry 'No!' nor did she cower begging for him not to hurt her. She'd been hurt and she had begged and pleaded. Experience told her violence would still come and by wasting actions on words, you simply made yourself vulnerable. Kavala leaned forward, caught 'dagger guy' by the wrist that was holding the weapon, and fell backwards, pulling him off his center and forwards while twisting sideways as she fell. She'd sweep his legs out from under him and cradle her child by twisting out of the way while she did it. The goal was simple. Get his dagger off her belly and get him off balance. There was no way unless he put his entire weight into it and braced himself, that he could hold up the oversized Konti as she fell and she certainly wasn't going to let go of his wrist. Hopefully he'd drop the blade too, but she couldn't count on that. The best she could do was catch him off guard and kick his feet out while controlling her own fall.

The others would have to fend for themselves and deal with the other two if they possibly could.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riki Stormheart on March 30th, 2011, 7:28 pm

The sight of the dagger against Kavala's pregnant stomach sent waves of shock through him. The man wouldn't dare! Would he? Riki almost instinctively grabbed his bow which was hanging off one his his shoulders. He stopped himself before his fingers could curl around the wood. There were two lives hanging in the balance, Kavala's and that of her unborn child. The small cut from the dagger could be easily treated but a child cut from her belly, that was a very different story. His green eyes turned to Kavala to try and gauge what she was thinking or planning. He had not known her for too long and there for did not know her emotions but it was a better plan than jumping into the fray while a blade was pointed at her. She looked despondent though. Almost a bit like she had left her body.

Riki's eyes flicked from Kavala to the hooded man as when he addressed him. He could feel a bit of that Drykas anger that he never seemed to posses. The man had threatened Sadie and that was not going to end well, or at least he wished it would not. Riki felt a little bound. Never before had be been in a situation like this. He needed to say something, maybe even a few kind words to get the knife from Kavala's stomach and to make sure Sadie was not harmed. Riki looked down at his canine companion and held her muzzle lightly. "Sadie, you need to stay still girl. No matter what happens, stay still. If they come at you, you run away and hide. Just don't fight, okay baby?" Riki often wondered if the dog understood him when he gave her these serious speeches. He only hoped that she could. If she sprung into action and the man hurt her he had no idea what he would do. He would not only lose her. He would lose Flower. "She will not hurt you as long as you leave her be. She is a kind creature." He looked down at her again, this time with a sympathetic look. He had gotten her into this and he would get her out safely.

Riki, although he was trying to look brave, was scared beyond belief. Was this what normally happened at the Sanctuary? For a moment he scorned himself for even coming. He should have known that a place with so much favor from the Gods, or a Goddess to be exact, would have been a target for darker folk. "I should be more positive. Things never got this interesting for me as a breeder and a healer. What is life without a little blood?" It was a dark thought, even for a healer but it rung true in him. This place was his new home and he would defend it just as a proud Drykas should.

It seemed like time slowed as Kavala began to move. He was a bit surprised to see a pregnant woman move so well in such a compromising situation. He had to think fast. He was no good with unarmed combat. He had worked a bit with Lakara on the art but he was in no way ready to take on an enemy with his fists. Instead he readied his bow, pointing it at the shaking man with the rope. He would be ready to shoot if needed although he was a bit worried to react. If he hurt one of the men what would happen to the others?
Last edited by Riki Stormheart on April 9th, 2011, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mizuriel on April 2nd, 2011, 5:04 pm

OOCSorry, I failed to post for a bit! :)

The man’s eye was twitching as he gazed at the naked stranger. While it was only words, he still dared to threaten Sam of all people. Growling more than speaking, he replied: “Samantha is a good kid, she won’t get in your way!” patting the girl on the head, he looked down at her before looking back up; he did not care if she agreed with him, as long as he knew that she would listen and get her scrawny neck out of harm’s way.

For a mere moment, Mizuriel was beyond any contemplations and dark thoughts as he saw Kavala trying to make the best of her grim situation. Even Riki who he deemed too green to actually have the guts to pull out a bow at one of the strangers, it was beyond surprising when he actually shot out an arrow towards him. Sanctuary was a new home. Riki, Lakara and Kavala were his friends, or at least he thought they were. Samantha was his child. And now someone dared to come and threaten this new life, putting everything he felt any sort of connection to in danger. He could not stand there and do nothing!

He moved quickly, pushing Sam next to Riki’s leggings, as he stepped forward. It was not even anger that he felt as he swung his fist at a man who had neither rope nor role, it was fear. Aiming as close as he could to the man’s abdomen, he lost his balance for a bit and that made his punch seem more like a tackle than a blow. Taking a beating was not foreign to him, he had endured such things many times in his past and he was positive this one would not be the last. The possibility of making the stranger busy appealed to him, and that was all he needed to set off a little flame of courage in his heart.

Goddess knew that they were healers, and the trespassers probably did too, so who were they really kidding when they provoked the executioners that were tainting the peace? Fists, sticks and stones they could handle, but if any other among them had managed to draw out something sharp, they were bound to take away any advantages the group might have gained with Kavala’s reaction. One thing was for sure; if they ever got out of all this alive, he would find a teacher among the Akalak who could mend his weakness.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next