Placeholder All's Well That Ends Better

A relationship forms for Milo and Shiress

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

All's Well That Ends Better

Postby Shiress on August 31st, 2021, 7:01 pm

Placeholder
Last edited by Shiress on September 6th, 2021, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 723567
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Milo Murrell on August 31st, 2021, 7:02 pm

The Title
1st of Spring 521AV

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.
Milo Murrell
The disavowed

Words: 19219
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2021, 1:20 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Milo Murrell on August 31st, 2021, 8:40 pm

40th of Summer 521AV

The sun was at its zenith when he and Nolen had carried the outside table a bit further away from the cottage so everyone could enjoy lunch in the sun. The table had been set with Lorna’s freshly baked bread rolls, salted butter and fresh fish from the market and two pitchers of boiled, then cooled spring water. Milo was hot and hungry from having worked on the roof all morning with Nolen. They’d taken out old shingles, repaired several leakages and put new shingles back on, all under the heat of the sun beating down on them. Of course Nolen had done away with his shirt at the first ray of sunshine, as was his habit, while Milo paid the price for his modesty. He’d conceded two buttons on his shirt, done away with his boots and rolled up his trousers to above the hollow of his knees, but remained defiant otherwise.

While Zachiah and Nolen discussed the work that had been done on the roof, Milo gulped down a whole tumbler of cold water and nearly choked on it. Unfazed, he immediately refilled and downed another cup full with loud, thirsty gulps. Nolen laughed at his antics while Lorna insisted he be more careful but he paid them no mind, not until he’d quenched his thirst. He was disappointed to find the pitcher empty when he tried to fill up his cup again.

“There’s another one inside,” Lorna hinted gently.

Milo swung his legs over the bench, scooped up one of the bread rolls with one hand and carried the empty pitcher under his arm. He liked working with Nolen. The man wasn’t family, but he was nice and at times Milo was somehow reminded of home by him, though he couldn’t tell why exactly.

He cleaned his bare feet before stepping into the cool shade of the Underhill cottage and almost didn’t notice Shiress slinking away like a viper.

Almost. But no matter how quiet she was, like a leaf on a breeze, floating away from his grasp, the change in light and shadow hadn’t escaped him. Looking after Ian or making up some errand for herself were probably the two most common tactics she employed to avoid him and maybe she honestly thought he hadn’t noticed. He had half a mind to let her dream on, to not cause a fuss and simply enjoy his meal outside with Nolen instead. But when he’d put down the pitcher with more force than necessary, he could no longer restrain himself.

“Going somewhere?” Already he could imagine her answers. Ian needs to sleep, Ian needs to be fed, I need to take Ian outside but he didn’t give her a chance to reply or to slink away again. With his hands crossed over his chest, Milo blocked her only way out of the room and scowled at her. “You’re always avoiding me, don’t think I don’t notice.” He flared his nostrils, “Whenever I’m outside you’re inside, whenever I’m inside, you’re outside! You don’t talk to me, you don’t look at me, and when you do look my way it’s only to stare at Nolen.”

He anticipated her trying to sidestep him but blocked her path again. She wasn’t going to get away so easily, no without some answers.

Somewhere deep down he knew it wasn’t fair to explode at her like this, he knew he’d bottled it all up for far too long, but he simply couldn’t contain it any longer. “You never come to wish me good night or tell me a story like Lorna does or Zachiah, because they care and you don’t! I know you don’t want me here but I didn’t choose to be here either!”

He sniffled, bit down hard on his lips and balled his fists until his knuckles turned white-hot. “If you hate me, at least just tell me to my face instead of running away all the time,” he said, his voice strained and raspy.
Milo Murrell
The disavowed

Words: 19219
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2021, 1:20 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes