Archery Makes Fast Friends (Aiven)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Vala on March 26th, 2011, 4:40 pm

5th Day of Spring, 511 AV

The sky was clear. The birds were chirping. And the outdoor archery ranges were finally open to the public after the Deks had cleared it all out. Vala hobbled out of bed, her left ankle still wrapped up tight with bandages to prevent too much movement. She was sick and tired of being cooped up in her room and stuck on reception desk duty for the past three days; she needed to get some fresh air before she went insane.

It really wasn’t the being cooped up that was driving her insane, she could entertain herself with the piles of books screaming to be read at the Enclave, no, it was the withdrawal from lack of pranking that was tingling painfully beneath her skin. She dressed slowly, gingerly pulling on her byrda. The loose legs of the byrda covered the pink, raised nail lines that ran down Vala’s legs. They were never deep enough to draw blood, just enough to help Vala forget.

She sat at the edge of her bed, leaning her left leg on her right knee. She slowly unwrapped the meter long bandage from her ankle and foot. It felt strange, mostly very loose without the wrapping, but it also felt a little nice without the constant pressure and constraint. Vala frowned at the sight of the large black bruise from the top of her foot all the way to the outside of her ankle. It still hurt to the touch, but at least now she could put weight on it. She gently rotated her ankle , just to get it moving again, but not enough to cause any pain. She finished with her rotations and laid the bandage on her table; she would wrap up her ankle after she meditated.

Vala, with practiced ease, even balancing on one leg, laid out her blanket on the floor. She used her bed as support as she slowly lowered herself to the ground, then scooting onto her ratty black blanket. The floor was cold, just like it was every morning. It was difficult to get comfortable with a sprained ankle, and since today was the first day she was meditating on the floor, it was taking Vala awhile to get situated. Sitting cross legged put pressure on the ankle. Sitting with her legs out in a V, put her ankle in a weird angle. The only option was to lay prostate on her back with the edge of the blanket all bunched up under her ankle. As one meditating to grow more aware of herself, Vala had no idea the proper way to go about positions and what not. All she knew, from the books she had read, all one needed to do to meditate was to get comfy and get breathing. As she closed her eyes, Vala wished she had grabbed her pillow on her way down. The floor was ridiculously hard.

She emptied her lungs, gradually hissing the air out through her mouth. She breathed deep, back in through her nose, trying to get the air all the way down to the bottom of her lungs, almost to her tummy. She released her breath once more, this time trying to loosen up her stance as well. She breathed in once more, trying not tense up. She hissed out the air slowly, her foot shifting to the side, unsupported by the bandage. “By the love of Priskil!...” She shot up, sitting, leaning on her elbows. She gasped in pain as jolts of throbbing, agony radiated from her ankle. When she realized she had used Priskil’s name in vain, she guiltily lowered her eyes and prayed for forgiveness. “I’m sorry Priskil. I didn’t mean to…” She didn’t know what else to say, so she just hoped with her heart that Priskil would forgive her for her little slip.

The ankle was healing up fairly well, but at certain angles, it hurt more than anything in the world, but usually only just for a second. She leaned forward, trying to nest her ankle into the blankets better, to prevent any more movement. When she was sure there wouldn’t be any more mishaps, Vala wiped away the single tear drop at the corner of eye, and laid back down. She continued to breathe, in and out, slowly, trying to relax. Trying to forget the rage and frustration she felt for being a cripple. It took her a bell before she finally relaxed, dipping into a state of peace.

As she floated, swimming in her unconsciousness, thoughts of Priskil began to drift by. Streaming lights fluttered behind Vala’s closed lids. She was too relaxed to think deeply, but she still was able to entertain her curiosity. The streaming lights shifted into a form of a woman, a woman of light, Vala’s serene mind wondered if Priskil would look like that – a woman of light, a woman of hope. It was times like these Vala loved to meditate – when she got so relaxed, when the world stilled and she was gifted peace in her own mind. Usually she thought of Priskil, praying to the goddess, revealing her fears, her hopes, her anger, just let her feel so free. She was rarely allowed such guilt free reprieve in the day.

Footsteps, not even heavy ones, outside Vala’s door, instantly broke Vala’s peace. She shot up again, this time calm enough from the meditation not to cuss. As a novice at meditating, it took Vala a bell or longer to get into a proper calming trance, only the slightest disturbance to rouse her from it.

Vala struggled to get up, but when she finally managed to balance, Vala shouted with confidence. “I am strong! I am not a cripple! I will not be held back by a measly sprained ankle! I AM VALA!” Vala loved her morning pep-screams.

oo0oo

Thok! went her arrow as it embedded deep into the target. It wasn’t center, not even near, but at least it went in deep. Vala lowered her bow, and set it down at her feet. She took a moment to stretch her fingers and forearms before she forgot and went right into another set.

Vala limped over to her target. She had to lean against the side of the board as to get enough force to pull out the arrows without putting weight on her ankle. She shuffled back to her spot, ready to fire off at least seven more sets before going to the Enclave to work her shift.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Aiven on March 26th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Aiven breathed in deeply, and shut her eyes, drowning out all noises and objects around her. She could feel a light breeze blowing against her body and through her bright red hair. She could feel the bow in her hand, and how the string resisted as she pulled back the arrow. She released her breath, as well as her arrow, and refused to open her eyes until she heard the faint thud of the arrow hitting it's target.

She opened her eyes, only to reveal the arrow was two rings away from the center. She frowned, lowering her bow down to her side. It was frustrating how hard aiming was when her eyes were shut. The whole purpose of coming today was to improve her Blind Archery, too bad she was boldly going nowhere with it.

Sighing she walked forward to the target, and pulled out the arrow with ease. She stood there, examining the tip of it for a moment, before returning to the arching line.

She could shoot with her eyes open just fine, and has never really been bad at anything she does, it's just this Blind Archery that gets her. She gritted her teeth, before setting up her stance again. Breathe deep, eyes shut, focus, release, and open. Once again it flew to the same damned ring it had been in once before. She had to use all of her self control not to scowl. Shaking her head, she came to one conclusion. She would have to try again.
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Words: 13946
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Character sheet

Postby Vala on March 28th, 2011, 1:54 am

As the cripple hobbled back to her spot, she noticed another Inarta practicing to her left. By her far superior equipment and dress, Vala assumed her to either be an Endal or an Avora – it would be beyond her place to say anything without being acknowledged first; Vala nodded politely, bowing her head slightly, when they made eye contact, before turning her head back to the target.

It was difficult for her to bend down and pick up her bow; Vala had to balance on her right foot while semi squatting. When she did finally manage to get up, Vala set her left foot a little forward, her chest facing perpendicular to the target, and her toes lined up, until she was in a proper stance. Well almost proper stance, Vala was still unbalanced, having to put most of her weight on her right foot. She hissed angrily, “Priskil, give me the strength not to hate Ronin…” She notched her first arrow of the set. She made sure to pick one of her better arrows. If her first shot was horrible, her next shots would only go downhill. She raised her bow with her left hand, pulling the string taught with her right. She tried to keep steady, but she found herself shaky, ungrounded. She closed her right eye, targeting the bulls-eye with her left. She continued to hold the string taught, until she was sure she was aimed perfectly. She loosed her breath slowly, as not to lose aim. When she felt completely still, when the target became her thoughts, when the string pressed to her cheek felt like a part of her, she loosed the arrow. Vala held her fingers by her face until she heard the sound of the arrow hitting, embedding into the target. Three rings from the center: two rings from the outer ring: about average.

Yet again, she struggled to reach another arrow. Vala had yet to buy a quiver, and was paying for it now. Vala fell down, onto her bum, in her attempt. “Ooof!” She felt the air forced out of her lungs, from her embarrassing stumble. Vala’s scrunched her face angrily – her face a bright tomato red of embarrassment and frustration. It took her at least a chime to finally get up with an arrow in hand. She brushed off her bum before trying to notch her next arrow.

She was angry, who wouldn’t be after looking like a fool, but Vala was too angry to focus. This was bad. She tried to say Priskil’s name, to help her calm down, but not even that helped. Vala turned to violence instead. Without trying to focus and breathe correctly, or even get into a proper stance, she shot with wild abandon, one arrow after the other, in quick succession. She finished off her set in a matter of five chimes. She growled in frustration. In her rage, Vala’s already meager archery skill, dropped a few more points. The arrows were scattered all about the target, one had managed to get two rings away from the bulls-eye but that was probably blind luck; three had embedded into the bales of hay behind the target. Vala released her breath of frustration, trying to remember the relaxing meditation session she had that morning, before limping back to the target to pull out her arrows.

OOC :
Aiven, because you are the Endal, I would suggest you initiate contact. And sorry its taking me so long to post all the time.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aiven on March 28th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Aiven felt a pang of pity for the poor girl to her right, but at the same time felt a bit happy that she wasn't going through so many difficulties. The Inarta had already fallen down and had a mental shotting arrow breakdown. She looked like she could use a few kind words of encouragement.

She placed her bow confortably on the ground before her, and leaned on it, but was careful not to put her whole weight in it, in fear of it breaking. She watched the girl hobble over to the target area to fetch the many scattered arrows. "You look like you're having a bit of trouble, dear rider. MIght I be of some assistance?"
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Character sheet

Postby Vala on March 28th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Rider? Vala wasn’t sure what the lady meant, but she was still embarrassed to be approached while so weak and pathetic. “I uh… I don’t need any help, but thank you ma’am.” She shifted her weight to her right ankle and bowed shallowly, unable to physically go any lower. “My name is Vala. Are you an Endal ma’am?” If she was an Endal, she was quite small and pale, uncommon traits for the city’s hunters.

Vala wanted to be nice though, after being approached by the higher ranking citizen. “I work at the Enclave, as an assistant librarian so I’m not much of an archer, if it isn’t obvious already.” She giggled nervously, a cute smile plastered on to her rosy cheeks. “Do you come here often ma’am?” Vala said, trying to strike up more conversation.

Vala shifted her weight back and forth a little, trying to get comfortable standing.

ooc :
Hey Aiven, having fun Rping with you but I checked out your CS and there’s some stuff that you might need to look over. Your skills – you only get 1 racial bonus. So either 10 falcon, 10 archery, or 10 glassworks. But you do get another 50 points for whatever skills you want. Also if you want to be an Endal, you need to make your Eagle and describe how you bonded with your Eagle – it’s not as difficult once you get into it.

Straight from Goss:
Castes: If you'd like to start out as an Endal or Avora, you need special permission and a Storyteller's Secret Thread Link from one of the Domain Storytellers. To receive this permission for an Endal status you must pm a storyteller a writeup about your wind eagle including its appearance, personality, how you bonded, and what the nature of your relationship is with it. If you are approved a SS link will be PM'd back within a few days. To create an Avora, you must plead your case and outline what your PC will do during the course of their roleplay to fulfill this caste roll. All other castes are fair game and can be started off with requiring no permission.

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic5913.html

Hopefully I will be approved to be a storyteller in the next week and I then I can approve your Endal request.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aiven on March 29th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Aiven straightened up her posture, and lifted her bow to rest upon her shoulder. "An Endal with no wings, I'm afaid. My companion was lost about a year ago, and I have yet to fly another." She walked over to Aiven's side, and casually sat on the ground next to Vala, but not too close. It would be unwise to be too near a practicing archer while in action. She carefully laid her bow across her lap, not wanting to place it on the ground.

Aiven sighed, bending her legs up a bit. She rested her elbow carelessly on her right knee, and took to placing her hand near her mouth; something she always seemed to do when in this position. "And, I come occasionally. I can't risk getting rusty. I haven't flown with the other's in so long, I am beginning to forget what the Hunt is like."

She gazed up at the young Inarta, "And you? Is this a place of casualty in your routine?"
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Character sheet

Postby Vala on March 31st, 2011, 1:03 am

Vala flexed her fingers, trying to imagine what life would be like if she could never work with glass again; she shook her head trying to get the nasty thought out of her head. It took her another second to notice the Endal had actually sat down beside her; Endal were superior; Vala tried to keep the confusion at the lady’s openness from her face. The lady had yet to introduce herself, but she just seemed so sad that Vala couldn’t help but let down a few defenses and allowed herself to feel a tinge of sympathy.

Vala dropped her bow to her side and slunk to the ground, very awkwardly, with her sprained ankle. She sat on her bum with her legs splayed out in a V. “It must be hard to lose an Eagle…” Vala trailed off, unsure how to continue in such a situation. “What was its name-“ Vala bit her lip, wishing she could take it back. It had slipped out from curiosity, too naïve to realize that maybe it was a little too fresh to bring something like that up.

Quickly switching topics, Vala fell back on a method she was use to – keeping the mood bright with light but still relevant banter. It was uncomfortable for the shallow girl to talk about pain; talking about such things brought back her own memories, memories she would rather leave forgotten. Vala had a strange memory – she could never remember dates, but she could remember the strangest facts about people, like what their favorite color scarf is. “Well I just sprained my ankle a few days ago, so I haven’t done any archery in a while. Today is my first day back in the range. Since I work in the Enclave I don’t get much exercise, so this is really my only chance to keep fit.” If she wanted to call it that: Vala was pretty squishy for an Inarta. “You’re really good though. I bet you were an amazing hunter-“ Vala cringed, realizing she had brought it up again, even being brainless enough to use past tense. “I mean- uh” Vala tried to back track. “It was amazing watching you. I noticed you were closing your eyes before shooting – is that a special technique? I’ve never seen it before.” Vala smiled brightly.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aiven on April 1st, 2011, 8:49 pm

Aiven wore a simple smile on her face, "Not at all. To become one with a kill is to exist in their darkness, even if only for a second when you shut your eyes. To see what it will soon see, and truly understand what you have done. You feel it's fear, though it's fear is of dying, yours is of missing the shot and making it suffer. It's not a special technique...though it does help you improve quite a lot."

She glanced over at the target she had been shooting at, and saw the small notch where her bow had struck. "As you can see, I haven't quite mastered that yet."

She returned her gaze toward the ground, and pulled at the grass with her fingers. "And, my Eagle's name was Tetheykus. And yes, I was a fair hunter. I enjoyed riding the wind with him. It was...relaxing."
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Character sheet

Postby Vala on April 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm

OOC :
Not really sure how to end this thread. Vala has to get to work at the Enclave soon. I think we should wrap it up in the next two and then we can start something new once we figure something out. I’m thinking something more adventurous? Vala is going to host a story telling event in the Enclave – would you be interested?

The sun’s rays warmed Vala’s pale cheeks to a rosy glow. She looked up – it was a few degrees higher since she had first come to the range. She furrowed her brows, trying to remember; she looked around the range, a few others had entered since she had begun her conversation with Aiven and she could hear their arrows embedding into the targets with a soothing rhythm. “Eep!” She squeaked, when she remembered she had to get to work in the Enclave; especially since, it would take her longer to get there with her bum ankle.

Using her bow as a make shift cane/support, Vala scrambled up. In her left hand she clutched all ten of her arrows. “It was so nice to meet you Aiven. I need to get to work now but maybe we can practice archery together again. It would be nice to practice with a friend.” Vala grinned openly. Vala was usually friendly, but now she was even more so with the former Endal – it was always smart to make friends in high places.

The young girl’s cold heart had felt nothing when Aiven mentioned her dead eagle Tetheykus, but her practiced, malleable face managed to pull off a very sincere and caring gaze. Even her tone had adopted a soft and soothing tenor. Even if Aiven managed to see behind Vala’s façade, no matter how unlikely, the girl hoped she would say yes; she needed more girl friends.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Phoenix on April 25th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Character: Vala

Experience: Meditation- 5, Archery- 5, Socialization- 4

Lores: Finding inner peace, Perhaps it was better to keep the brace on, Dealing with an injured limb, being a self-encouraging cheerleader, Keeping up a daily routine despite being injured, Making a new friend

Character: Aiven

Experience: Archery- 3, Socialization- 2

Lores: Bearing the loss of ones bondmate, Making a new friend, Persistence, Practicing a difficult shot

Additional Comments: Nice and quick read. To be honest, it was hard to find much lore/experience to give Aiven. The posts were very short and bare minimum, and while well written, didn't cover much. I applied the rewards as I could. Any comments or concerns can find their way to my PM inbox and I will be happy to discuss them :)
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)