Liar Liar [Moritz]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on April 7th, 2022, 5:55 pm

12th Spring 522 AV – Courtyard Cantina

Alric has remembered his promise to Moritz, though he’d take no offense of the Kelvic would forget and not turn up. It would be unlike the lad but given what he had experienced the day before he was half-expecting that Moritz might be too busy engaged with whatever Syka seemed to be experiencing. He was still vague on that, a few letters and trust really all he had to go on – and he was short on trust these days. He had yet to get Moritz a gift, he wasn’t sure what he would appreciate, and so had decided instead to wait for him to turn up and then offer him the option for one, and a say on what it would be.
“Drink?” the waitress asked him, and he flashed her a smile, enjoying the view, almost as much as she enjoyed the looking by her face.

“Please…wine…Riverfall if possible. No food yet, waiting for a friend. So, if you’d like to come around later, I’d call it an honour” he went for a charming smile as she theatrically rolled her eyes and went to fetch what had been requested.

He watched her walk away with disguised interest before he began to thumb some tobacco into his corn cob pipe and used a candle to light it. The wine arrived as the smoke began to curl around his cheeks and he thanked her before settling in to puff away patiently. The smoke was smooth and relaxing, his muscle soothing and the pains of new wounds partially eased with each inhalation. His crossed ankles stretched out in front of him as he gripped the mouthpiece of the pipe between his teeth and he pulled out the book he had brought to pass time – his journal and various notations upon magic. He’d never be caught with it in Sunberth but at the Outpost there were different rules he had learned. But mostly his attention was not taken up with the magic, but with the letters tucked into the pages, and a drawing of a woman she he had apparently forgotten.

“Strange petching life, I swear” he muttered to himself as he kept the book open with his thumb, frowning at the words as his free hand could hold the pipe as he smoked away thoughtfully.

So far, the day before had been filled with drunken incident after his apparent initiation into Reimancy. This day had been spent in reflections and curious attempt at piecing things together. He had made some progress but there wasn’t much information given that his mind had been scoured of this mysteriously pretty woman. He had gone through the others he had met from Syka and they had been remembered, and so he was torn between wondering if something magical – like hypnotism – were at work, or if something larger were afoot. Written words were something, but difficult to relate to in terms of emotion without a larger frame of reference. He did not disbelieve the prose, the fact that he had let the initiation happen as evidence she he won him over perhaps. Yet he was puzzled…and he liked puzzles.

So he continued to pick at it as he waited for Moritz to arrive, his clothing his usual fare of Isuas and cotton. His gloves and belt were the items found last season and his weapons were dotted around himself, not that he expected to need them, but old habits died hard.

Last edited by Alric Lysane on May 20th, 2022, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on April 8th, 2022, 1:21 am

12 Spring 522

Moritz was apprehensive as he headed into the Outpost. On the one hand he enjoyed meeting Alric. Talking, working things out, sometimes even with a more philosophical bent... They had even gotten to talking about magic the last time he had been there, and in a much more positive form than the prior time they met. He was also often looking for a good sparring partner, and would take most any excuse to train his combat abilities he so wanted to hone to a fine edge.

On the other hand after the events of the day before, oddly enough on his birthday which fell on the first of spring and the anniversary of the Valterrian, something odd had happened and he had found his words struck in a odd way. He could hear the words in his head, and would try to say one thing, but found that what came out was a completely different series of words. Not random though, he had realized this quickly enough, but lies. He would try to say one thing, true, but would find rolling off his tongue a bizarre series of words which were all lies.

He was unsure why this was happening, but try as he might even with mental fortitude he could not overcome this compulsion or effect or whatever it was.

With that he was a bit reluctant, but hoping of all people a Sunberthian would recognize someone who was being forced to lie. He was also glad for once that his odd apparel had his name clearly emblazoned on the front on a small patch, which would clearly indicate against any lies who he was.

Wearing his normal clothing of his button up silk suit which he could freely shift in, some sandals, and a pack on his back with money and other important items, only his hands, neck, and head were bare. Of course he was also wearing the few items he could not remove, such as the odd bracelet on one of his wrists with charms and a star gem embedded in the back of his left hand.

He also had met a god and been marked the season prior, but he could not recall if he had met Wysar before or after his and Alric's last meeting. Not that he expected it to come up, but as he thought about his possessions and his body the change of the mark he had received still came to his mind.

Making his way to the restaurant where they had met before which was not too far off Moritz thought on how he could communicate his state but realized he would just have to trust Alric to work it out.

Moving inside he looked around and quickly noticed the human sitting off at a table, and headed over. Giving in to the lies he knew would roll forth Moritz tried to greet the man only to find as he expected a whole other set of words coming forth.

"Ah, John, there you are! Its been what, a few years? Its me, Fred, you remember?"

While he said this as serious faced as ever and without any ticks of lying, it wouldn't take a keen observer to realize he was Moritz, particularly as with his odd features the increasingly tall Kelvic was quite noticeable and distinct. In fact he had likely gained at least a half inch since the two had met, and his hair was as odd and colorful as ever, even before his odd eyes came into view.

Sitting down at the table Moritz would wave, resigning himself somewhat to the odd things his mouth would say.

WC: 609
Last edited by Moritz Craven on May 5th, 2022, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on April 8th, 2022, 5:32 pm

He didn’t register the words at first, none of them immediately conveying to him that they were directed towards him. Instead he was absorbed in his reading, puffing away at his smoke in a relaxed fashion, nothing really required of him until later in the day when work at Ruby’s would call him to the house of exposed flesh once more. Once Moritz was seated before him it took Alric several chimes to truly notice and when he did the words replayed themselves back through his mind several times, none of them in which they made any sense, and he put his book down carefully, looking at Moritz for a while before responding, wondering if this was some form of jest.

He had never known Moritz to be possessed of much of a sense of humour, in fact he remembered quite vividly that many of his own attempts at humour, sarcasm and general ironic wit had fallen like lead into a pool. He never reacted in a normal way, it wasn’t what he was like, and Alric had come to accept that about the lad – though by the look of him age was the only manner in which he was a youth anymore. The chimes dragged on into the half-score of number as he watched him, smoke curling around his cheeks, before he snorted and gave a chuckle before leaning back and pushing a poured glass of wine towards him.

“Very funny Moritz,” he said as he picked up his own glass, raised it in a toast and sipped upon it before placing it back upon the table, “I see you’ve found a sense of humour these days. I am happy to see you growing as a…Kelvic” he said, with only a slight hint of sarcasm in his tone.

He called over the waitress once more and ordered a few pieces of food, various meats and vegetable items as he knew the Okomo didn’t like meat at all. Once that was done, he looked upon the lad once more, taking him in. It was true that he had grown taller but also slightly broader across the shoulder he noted now, though his hair and general appearance beyond that was similar. He still had the jewel in his hand, and it was cycling through various colours as if it couldn’t make up it’s mind what colour it wanted to be. His face, too, was quite serious which only served to enhance the joke at Alric’s expense. He laughed slightly before subsiding and leaning back further, relaxed.

“Good to see you again, and the day after your birthday as arranged too. I was wondering whether you would show, I wanted to ask you about a few thing sin Syka, how things are and so on. You know a woman named Tazrae? Owner of a tavern in your little village?” he asked. leaving the questions hanging for if he felt comfortable answering them before moving on slightly.

“I’m afraid I wasn’t quite sure what to buy you for your birthday, tradition demands some sort of gift but…well let’s be honest you’re not easy to buy for,” he chuckled, sipping upon some more wine, “so I thought it might be best to give you the choice, maybe peruse the stalls and so on, find somewhere else after to give you a proper surprise…after all no birthday is a proper birthday without a bit of drink and some…scenery” he suggested, not expecting the lad to realise what he meant but perhaps he might find out in a while.

“But that can come later…how are you Moritz? Been having some fun with your…studies?”

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on April 9th, 2022, 1:39 am

When he did speak to Alric, referring to both the other man and himself by other names and saying other things that were not true, it took the Sunberthian a bit of time to register his words and respond. At some point though, perhaps once he sat down, his words became a bit more clear in that they were directed at Alric.

Once more the man was smoking his pipe, something he wrinkled up his nose at. Perhaps it was his Kelvic nature, but he simply did not like the odor or sense of the stuff and could not help showing on his face how he felt on it. He could not quite recall if he had explained this to Alric before, though if nothing else he was unsure how well one could fight while inhaling smoke.

When Alric simply laughed and offered him a drink Moritz was a bit disappointed, seeing as he had been hoping the man would work out his malady... Not yet, clearly, but he still had hope he would.

Taking a sip the strong flavor of the liquid struck his nostrils and he managed to make yet another face at the sensation, though less one of disgust as it had been earlier at the smoke. While he had tried some alcohol before, he did work at a bar of sorts and had been offered some alcoholic beverages by a customer, he hadn't yet found some he was particularly fond of. This though tasted different, and he was not a practiced enough drinker to know off hand what it was from a single taste. Though, as he recalled from the time before, he hadn't actually gotten drunk before and was unsure he wanted to from how the woman the season prior had described it.

"Oh yes, many people have enjoyed commenting on my humorous nature, I am quite well known for it, and there is nothing I like more than having fumes spewed at me and imbibing copious amounts of alcoholic beverages. Quite a common pastime for me."

Having said this Moritz took another sip of the drink, making the same face as from earlier, still finding it strong but somewhat more familiar a flavor.

"I don't think I've actually grown though, I'm fairly certain everything else has simply gotten smaller and I've stayed the same size. Its quite hard to tell, since the only measure is myself, and as a container of measurement that is not the most ideal method."

Growing a bit annoyed and himself and the odd things coming from his mouth he tried to think of something he could say to get himself to say the right think, but still found it quite tricky if not impossible to get around his forced lies.

"My birthday? No, that was seasons ago John, I think you've got my birthday confused with someone else's. As for a woman named Tazrae... Of course I know her. Who doesn't? Red hair, quite tall for a woman, towering even, with a bit of a limp and a scar over her left eye. I think she said she got it in a boating accident."

At the mention of a present Moritz recalled Alric saying something the season before about possibly getting him something, but it seemed the man hadn't settled on anything just yet. He was also unsure why the man felt it was a normal thing to take in the scenes on ones birthday, did he perhaps want to go explore some of the local gardens or such? The Outpost did have a few such interesting places, but he was not plant expert nor overly interested in them.

"As for Syka, its a normal enough place, not much of interest going on of late. I mean it is quite cold this time of the year, but so long as you properly bundle up that isn't an issue."

"I've been keeping quite busy of late as you said with my studies, learning how to properly farm and till the fields does take quite a bit of schooling. But I should be graduating before too long."

At this point Moritz tried to cover his mouth with his hands, trying to make some meaningful gaze with his eyes as he stopped himself from spouting any more nonsense, but unsure how to do so without speaking and thus continuing the problem.

WC: 729
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on April 9th, 2022, 2:44 pm

Things lurched sideways quickly, and he listened with a growing sense of fascinated horror as the words tumbled out of Moritz’ mouth, until eventually the Kelvic slapped his hands across his mouth as if trying to stop the words. Physically stop them had had to as well, as Alric could see the lips moving still, the muffled sounds slipping out partially from behind the palms and fingers. He blinked as if somewhat dazed and ran his min back through the conversation so far, such as it was, his pipe now forgotten completely and left to smoulder upon the table, upright. There was a sort of manic gleam in his eyes before they turned inwards in speculation, he had suggested Moritz learn new things and grow but this…this was more than even the greatest trickster could possibly ask for.

“Huh” was the only appropriate sound that escape his lips, with a raised eyebrow, his eyes looking more closely at the lad now.

He set everything aside, leaning forwards to rest his elbow up on the table and his hands clasped together to support his chin as he assessed. He trusted Moritz would remain silent as he thought things through, certainly he didn’t seem to want to speak anymore already. That turned the corners of his lips up, it was the opposite of how he remembered the lad, he could hardly keep quiet a lot of the time if he was animated about a subject. The fact he was now the opposite almost seemed as if it were a violation of the laws of the land.

“Your birthday was seasons ago…not yesterday? As you told me last season?” he asked, not seeing how those statements could be construed as a joke and wondering where he was going with his utterances.

Much of what he said didn’t make sense based upon what he knew, at least as far as he could assume based upon what others like Oralie had told him. Syka was supposed to be warm, or at least not bitterly cold throughout the year, wasn’t it? He was fairly sure, also, that Morwen had not staged some raucous return, let alone just in Syka for her own amusement…or whatever else might motivate a goddess of chilly matters. He turned it around and wondered if this was not a game, instead of a joke, perhaps? Some sort of obligation maybe? Had he lost a bet?

“And I suppose now that you’ll be telling me that your quest was completed too, and the cold due to Morwen’s…graciousness? Can she be gracious? A mighty battle I suppose? Some awe inspiring daring and courage?” he asked with a touch of puzzled amusement in his voice.

“And schooling for…farming? I thought you were looking into Spiritism? Unarmed and acrobatics? Grew tired of being energetic, I suppose? And a new name too…Fred was it? Am I dealing with a twin of some kind?”

He doubted that was the case, though. No the more he turned things around in his mind, combining it with his letters and a bit of basic logic…was there more than one person with some kind of affliction in Syka? He remembered Moritz, and scanning his memory he couldn’t think of a gap anywhere that might suggest missing time – not like with Tazrae. He had tried to summon up every memory, but all he managed was a kind of fog surrounding certain events that seemed…odd…in a solitary remembering.

“Where did you come from today…Fred? And who is your mother? Please…humour me” he asked, two testing questions that might suggest filler for the outline of a theory he was creating in his mind.

He watched Moritz-Fred’s face this time, looking to see any suggestion of dissembling or truth, there were often ticks that one could pick up on if you looked ahrd enough, that much was basic knowledge when dealing of Sunberth were involved.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on April 10th, 2022, 8:22 pm

Moritz was unsure what to expect in response to his confusing array of words, but from looking at Alric it seemed the mans response was mainly confusion. Which was not surprising as he had said some odd things.

Going from confused to thoughtful Alric seemed to be trying to work through something or come to a decision and was silent for awhile before finally speaking.

When he did finally respond it seemed to be to question what Moritz had said. Hesitating for a moment Moritz continued to cover his mouth, finally resolving himself to continue as he did not think speaking more could make things any worse or confusing. If anything more might clarify more, as it might further highlight his lies. In his mind he tried to utter them one way, but as they passed his lips they seemed to become confused in between and came out wrong. It wasn't anything he was choosing or was in control of at all.

"Last season, no I didn't say that last season, I don't think we even met last season, did we? Perhaps your thinking of someone else? That would make more sense. I have been told I have a quite common appearance, so perhaps it was just someone else who looks a good bit like me?"

Moritz pondered on that, hearing his words as they came out. He did not think that really helped much, but as he expected it didn't really further confuse things much or at all. So... No worse for having said it, even if not better off.

At the mention of Morwen Moritz frowned, unsure where he had gotten that from. Had he ever actually named Morwen before? They had discussed some things surrounding why he was in Syka, but he had never that he recalled told him who it was he was questing after. But then perhaps he had connected the dots from the surrounding information and worked out he meant Morwen? He had not considered it at the time, but that did not make sense... He was not the most subtle after all, and with enough surrounding information the middle bits could be filled in... Such was observation and logic by building on known things.

"My quest? Ah no, I lost interest in that, didn't seem all that important. And several others seemed to take interest in it, from what they said, so perhaps one of them worked it out and finished things up? I haven't heard back on them about it much, but perhaps that's were they went off to. They did leave with a big to do, and then didn't come back, so perhaps that then? I mean with so many other people besides me working on it, it didn't make much sense for me to keep at it."

"Twin though, who said I was a twin? I'm certainly not a twin, I'm an only child actually. Physical combat though, I don't think I'm much for that, I'm not really built for roughhousing. I've been into farming for quite some time. I think one of my cousins maybe, from how he carried on and tried to wrestle and things, was into such things, but we don't get along much. He's a bit of an odd rough fellow. I prefer to use my words to work things out, though I try to be brief. Never found much of a use for fighting, it is such a peaceable world."

"As for where I'm from, I think we talked about that at length. Are you feeling okay? Don't tell me you've forgotten already? Aksy, small volcanic island far from the coast, cold winters, we mainly subsist on feral gophers and wart worms. Though you have to eat the wart worms raw, if you try to cook them they pop and their innards vaporize like boiled water, so you can't really eat them when its too hot. Sometimes they just randomly pop then. My mother Janice, I don't think you know her. She's a wart wrangler, finds, breeds, and prepares the worms for eating. It is one of our major staples. I don't fully understand it all myself, I understand its a rather technical trade she works in, so not easily explained."

WC: 706
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on April 11th, 2022, 6:54 pm

He listened, saying nothing and simply observing, noticing how his words tumbled out but his face and mannerisms didn’t suggest as if he were telling the truth. If anything, his gaze seemed horrified and apologetic as his tales unfolded. Alric listened to them for the inconsistencies – of which there were so many – but really, he was more interested in the lad himself. There wasn’t even an attempt to conceal the lies and he looked at him afterwards as if he was trying to communicate something silently to Alric, something desperate and needed. He gently, but carefully, took Moritz’s hand and put it across his mouth once more in a silent signal to shut the shyke up whilst he thought things through.

The things he had said made no sense, that much was beyond obvious, but more interesting was the fact he seemed to know that this was happening to him. He was cursed, just like this Tazrae he couldn’t remember, and he was conscious of that fact. That made two people and that meant a pattern…it was just figuring out the pattern that was the trick. Yet he didn’t have enough information, not really. Even statistically speaking two people weren’t enough to really put together a pattern. He was making leaps of logic that he might normally do on a true investigation, but this seemed so unique a circumstance that he had little choice but to do so. He hummed to himself, chin still resting upon his fingers and watched Moritz with a weighing gaze.

So he lies…and he know he lies…or tells tall tales at least…and he wishes he didn’t by the eyes...I wonder he mused to himself for a few chimes as he tried to formulate a plan of attack for this particular issue. It was a thorny one, he couldn’t even really talk to Moritz about t as his account would be largely unreliable…which meant short answers…and simple questions perhaps.

“You are a liar,” he said, watching the lips move underneath the hand and start to get sound out, he covered it firmly with his own hand, “no no…no…nonono…Moritz…for once in your life shut the shyke up! Just…listen…and control yourself. Bloody meditate or something” he ordered sternly, he had to be able to set some rules or nothing would work.

“Petch the rest of it…you are lying…and I can only assume this is because of something happening back in Syka. You are not the first to come from there with something…odd…to tell me and leave me with. So just be quiet so we can figure this out.

He took a while to think things through, knowing that he needed something first to confirm his suspicions before anything else could be established. Short answers, short and simple questions. Ground rules. He sighed and leaned back, pinching his brown tiredly at what this season seemed to want to throw at him already. He watched Morits for a few more moments before leaning in and meeting his gaze with his own solidly.

“Okay. Ground rules. Yes or no answers. Nothing else. If you start to say anything else, then I will cover your mouth myself. Resist the urge Moritz, I know you can. This is important if you want to try to find a way of dealing with this,” he said pointedly, before continuing onwards, “now…is your mother names Madeira Craven? Are you a Pathfinder? Do you come from Syka? Have you been taught in Spiritism? Did you live in a place called Infinity Manor?” he asked the series of questions, his finger making a shushing motion at the lad.

They were all answers that should be in the affirmative, if his memory was correct, and so he needed the opposite to discover whether his theory was correct and he cast his mind about for things that he could ask that seemed logically to provide a negative answer. Mortiz started to try to move his jaw and so hot tapped the lad’s nose pointedly and made a shushing motion once more.

“Are you known for your dancing skills? And I mean bloody tap dancing before you go off on one? Did I teach you acrobatics? Do you like to eat meat? Are you a Kelvic Okomo?” he asked, then retreated back and nodded, bracing himself for the potential diatribe.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on April 11th, 2022, 8:37 pm

As Alric thought and considered Moritz words, the Kelvic fought to keep himself from saying anything further. Not an easy task for the Kelvic who was normally quite free flowing with words, particularly with the urge to explain things fighting against his logical understanding that anything he tried to say would come out a lie.

It was clear Alric was trying to work things out, and so he kept silent until it seemed he had processed and was ready to proceed.

At the question of him being a liar he tried to respond, beginning to deny it, but Alric cut him off once more as he appeared to try to further process the best tactic to address the issue. Moritz had thought of several, but since he could not communicate those ideas it was somewhat moot. When Alric did finally communicate his proposal, short one word answers, he realized the Sunberthian had thought of another simple but powrerful tactic to address his issue. If he lied when he said anything... And the other person knew he lied... And had known information to compare it to... Then... Logically... He could confirm all he said was a lie, and therefore try to proceed from there.

Short, simple, but he felt- a good idea. He also seemed to know something was going on in Syka, where he came from today, Even more surpising others from Syka had come to the Outpost and told Alric of the effects on people. Since his had only begun the day prior, on the first of Spring, either that meant others had begun earlier or had managed to come through on the first of spring.... Or earlier that day.

Yes or no answers. Nothing else, or he would be muted. Simple short things to be said... Internally the normally verbose Kelvic was practically vibrating, a desire to spew a mountain of truth, but he held himself in and concentrated on giving one word answers, which would he believed be inverted into lies of a similar variety...

Was his mother Madeira Craven, of course it was, so his answer was "No". Inverted, but singular in its response... Was he a pathfinder... Yes he was, so "No". Did he come from Syka, well of course "No". Did he know spiritism, his mother had taught him and he had practiced with "No". Had he once lived in Infinity Manor, he had been born and raised there so of course where else would "No".

One by one he answered in the negative, his Iraso eyes meeting Alric's gaze and a small smile coming to his lips as he was all the more certain Alric had worked things out and how to proceed.

As his questions progressed he saw a bit further, now that he had answered all no's the man was trying for yes' as he knew them to be negative. Logical really, test a hypothesis of lies being told constantly by using known facts. Simple but elegant.

Was he known for dancing, not really as he'd only tried it a time or to "Yes", Did Alric teach him Acrobatics, of course not Moritz had taught him and could show "Yes". He didn't eat meat, Alric knew that, he did not partake of animals so "Yes". And then a turn, was he an Okomo Kelvic yes he was so "No".

The mans questions answered Moritz paused, thinking about things, before stopping and pointing down at his own black leather sandals. Talking slowly and a bit jerkily in fits Moritz tried to speak, to make things further clear.

"My shoes... Are... Green."

If that wasn't a blatant and clear lie, he wasn't sure what was.

WC: 612
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Alric Lysane on April 12th, 2022, 8:27 pm

As the answers came, he went from an intrigued frown to a growing smile, his suspicions confirmed as the opposite of what he knew to be true from previous conversations was given to him. This wasn’t even something with an inch for forgiveness of interpretation, they were straight up untruths…lies…from the most literal person he had ever met. It was puzzling to be sure, that he’d suffer from an affliction that seemed so demonstrably cutting in regards to his personal being, the way he saw the world. He mused for a few moments upon that as he watched the lad, it definitely seemed somewhat too coincidental. Still, on thing wasn’t a pattern, as Moritz might have said, and so he left that thought to the side, for now.

“Moritz Craven, you’re a liar and you’ll spend an eternity upon this ship” he said, half serious and half joking using a phrase from an old story he had learned from the Svefra, and at the lad’s confused look he waved his hand and shook his head, a slow grin breaking out across his face at the amusement of the very notion, “yes I know, there are no ships here. It was a line from an old story…I will tell it to you one day perhaps”

The spirit of his declaration was there, though, and he noted how Moritz seemed to perk up slightly when he realised what was actually happening. He had even managed to restrain the babbling at the beginning of their conversation and condense whatever it was into the one word answers Alric had asked for. For that he was grateful and when the food came he made sure that there was no meat near Moritz and that he had the lions share of the nicer things such as candied dates and similar. The day might not be going completely as had been planned, but that didn’t mean there couldn’t be a nice meal and a few relaxed drinks – or as relaxed as it could be.

“Let me guess, it started yeter-…sorry, it didn’t start yesterday” he made it a statement, but the question implied was clear.

That would have been a particularly annoying thing for the Kelvic, he thought, to have had this visited upon his own birthday. Yet it would fit the timing that Tazrae had given him, whoever she truly was, and that meant that if Moritz was another piece of the puzzle then there was, indeed, some interesting truths to the stories written in the letters, and in his own hand even. That was exciting, even if it came, sadly, at the expense of others. He returned his attention to Moritz and tried to think through what list of questions that he could ask would make most sense, would provide a map of reference.

“Let’s keep up the yes/no theme, shall we? For the sake of our sanity,” he sighed, massaging his temples before cradling his chin once more, “You are feeling quite terrible right now, I’d imagine? Has anyone figured this out with you before now? Do you know what has caused this? Have the healers taken a look at you? Think it would help?” he asked, seeking to establish whether anything had been done about the affliction yet.

“This you don’t have to answer, but I think I’ve figured out what your present will be…at least until you can talk properly and truly once more. I’m going to get you a board to hand around your neck so that everyone can read what curse you have and this yes/no format. At least then you can…kind of communicate” he said with a snort as he grabbed a handful of dates and tossed one up into the air to catch it in his mouth.

"Wait...have you tried writing anything yourself?"

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Liar Liar [Moritz]

Postby Moritz Craven on April 15th, 2022, 1:41 am

Once he was done talking Moritz once more waited to see what Alric would have to say, seeing as the man seemed bent on not having him talk so he could think things over. Though when the man did talk again in response it left him completely confused and unsure what the petch the man was trying to say. When he explained it had something to do with a thing from a story Moritz was even more confused, unsure what any of that had to do with... Well anything else.

Clearly he felt it dd, or else he wouldn't be bringing it up, but Moritz was at a loss for how.

Yes, it had begun the day before, so... Had it not started yesterday? "Yes?" it hadn't, so... While simple one word questions did seem to make things more black and white and more clearly false or true, Moritz also saw how limiting such a conversation was. He could only respond to things, not start any topics himself, and he had no room for nuance at all. Anything not completely clear one way or the other would be even more confused by trying to answer that way. What if there was something he was unsure on, or didn't know, or was on the fence about, or which needed further clarifying or caveats? None of those would work with a simple on or off yes or no system.

Once more the Kelvic found himself missing his normal ability to communicate. Normally he was quite boisterous and said quite a bit, often being a bit long winded but also very detailed and specific in his words. Particular, some might say. But then it was rare that one or two words could fully explain something, particularly a complex topic, and so it was needed. Or at least so he felt. While it might annoy some, he felt it was necessary.

Letting out a sigh in response to continuing the yes or no, Moritz ambled along in the conversation. While he understood why it was needed, it didn't mean he liked it.

His next question seemed one of those ones Moritz had trouble answering with a single word, and the Kelvic opened his mouth to speak while trying to think of a response, only to end up unsure and closing his mouth each time. In the end he tried to shrug, since he felt fine enough. A bit annoyed by it all, but he was in no immediate danger from it, he was in good health, and didn't have anything specific to complain about that wasn't too bad... And while no one had really worked out what was going on, some had just assumed Moritz was trying to master sarcasm and either wasn't very good at it, was very good at it, or was way to over committed to using it and had no sense of moderation. Which, to most in Syka, wasn't all that surprising and so they sort of ignored his nonsensical words and kept on with what they were doing.

Unsure what he would say Moritz tried to answer as best he could, but found when he didn't quite understand things or the question odd things occurred. In response to his feelings his response was the word "turnips", which even Moritz had some trouble understanding his own thought process on how that was a lie. Though, he supposed somewhat introspectively, of all the things he felt like, he definitely did not feel like a turnip. Those were hard and stiff and discolored things.

On the topic of anyone figuring out the response was "Yes" as they hadn't really, since he wasn't sure what caused any of these oddities "Yes", likewise with the healers since no one knew he had a problem they hadn't looked at him medically and so "Yes", As for if it would help the answer was another shrug, which wasn't really a communication at all let alone true or a lie. More so Moritz felt the shrug was the absence of actual communication.

Finally when Alric returned to the topic of presents he informed the Kelvic he planned to give him a board calling him a liar... While Moritz was unsure how well that would work or if anyone would actually believe it, he was uncertain he would call that a present. Of course when it came to presents in the past he had not really had to many. When he had turned one he was too young and his mother hadn't really done anything. When he turned two he was preparing to leave the city, his mother had informed him she was marrying someone he had never met nor heard of... Though on that occasion she had gifted him a pair of swords infused with her own magic, namely her soulmist which had been imbued into it on a level only someone like her a master Spiritist could do.

With only a semi-magical ghost weapon and nothing to compare against, he couldn't say it was his worst gift ever... Though as he thought on this he recalled a present from his instructor in combat Kyra, namely the suit he was wearing now which let him shift freely and seemed magical in some manner to... In truth he felt that one was a bit more personal and better than the swords his mother had given him...

Arching an eyebrow and frowning a bit in response to the offer Moritz let out another sigh but did not otherwise respond. Yet another thing he couldn't put into words with only a single word to be used to respond.

Though it did make him wonder what the man had planned to get him before... Or no, from what he said earlier he hadn't really planned anything.

Taking a few bits of food Moritz chewed and swallowed before responding simply "No". Communication seemed to be the key thing from what Moritz understood. If he meant it as communication or thought it was, then the effect seemed to... Effect it. But perhaps since he did not consider a shrug communication, nor other facial responses which he didn't understand himself, those were not affected.

Though, Moritz felt, if he could simply write the truth that would be quite a easy way to get around the effect... Sadly it didn't seem to work that way. If it did he supposed he could just write everything, and pretend to be mute for a season, having lost his voice. Alas, such was not to be.

As he waited for Alric to say more Moritz realized in an even more pronounced way how hard it was to have a conversation when only one half could progress things.

WC: 1,119
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next