[Sanctuary] A Grand Symphony, Maybe (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gwin on March 31st, 2011, 5:41 pm

OOCEveryone in Sanc is free to jump in. I can also alter the timestamp a little if you wish.

Timestamp: 57th of Spring, 511 AV

Ever since she had taken a first look at Riverfall, Gwin had been interested in the collection of buildings situated a little outside the city. They didn’t seem to be inhabited by Akalak, since no blue man ever walked the way to or from there. In fact, it looked rather quiet to Gwin, but of course she didn’t know what was going on inside.

She had counted the days she had been staying in Riverfall. Six, she thought in the morning. Although Gwin didn’t particularly like cities, she felt it was necessary to visit them and get a grip of the local culture and society. Akvatari were loners, they drifted on the edges of Mizaharian society, watching and contemplating, but never really merging in with the locals. As thinkers, they were compelled to keep their distance, so they could view the outside world from a different perspective. Just like any other of her race, Gwin wasn’t exactly sure why they did that, but she knew that staying out of permanent commitments was in her nature. She’d come, roam around a little and leave again. People would forget her after a while. Her only desire was to not be forgotten for her music. But she was still learning, and being forgotten was all right at the current stage of her proficiency.

The pull had started, drawing her towards and beyond the city gates. She had seen Riverfall. The only aspect she was still clueless about, it was the house complex to the east. So Gwin decided to take a closer look at it.

Syna was already standing high on the sky when she approached the buildings, brilliant green and black veined wings keeping her a few inches above ground. Thinking about how she looked like, she found herself an odd figure: carrying a satchel and an instrument case with her, pale blond hair and moss green furred tail trailing behind her. Akvatari seemed to be largely unknown around Cyphrus, especially in the east. The boy she had met a few days earlier hadn’t known her race either.

Gwin would curiously examine the complex from a short distance, wondering what kind of people it housed and what it was built for. Oh, she heard noises, but couldn’t really place them enough to gather useful information out of them.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Mizuriel on April 2nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

OOCSorry, I failed to post for a bit! :) Also, unless i note otherwise, my character is always speaking common.

It was late into the season already and Mizuriel was going around, feeding the animals. Even Samantha who was always the playful one seemed to understand that they have some new obligations now. She was walking behind him, using both of her hands to carry a small bucket that was filled with horse feed. They circled through the stalls slowly, dropping some of the food at each and every stop. The feeding was done before long, and now it left them with the question of what should they do next? As always, the girl had the best answer, or at least the best one she knew Mizuriel would not refuse to oblige.

She started running around, pulling Mizuriel by the wrist at first and letting go of him completely later. Whatever it was they were playing, it did not amuse the girl for long, as she quickly crouched down, waving the man to come closer. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what they were doing, as the girl started hoarding up mud in her palms. The shape was being remodeled over and over until it actually looked like a bad potato, but he knew that she had meant for it to be a cake, so he could not help but smile with her.

“Try not to dirty your clothes too much this time” he added, as it indeed was a long time since she last played with mud; and there was a good reason for it. Regardless of his advice the girl had still managed to slip and fall onto her own imaginary meal. As she got up, her face seemed to twist for a bit before she looked back at Mizuriel. Her expression was quickly transformed into a smile. Even while he was supposed to be mad at her, he could not bring himself to do so. Her small eyes were cast upon him for one more moment, as he finally realized she still had some mud on her left cheek. Before he could tell her anything, she stormed out of the yard as quickly as she could. Running after her, the man rushed out only to almost stomp onto her as she was standing next to a…. creature. He knew the newcomer was an Akvatari, he had seen illustrations of them in books and he was lucky enough to observe some of their artistic craftsmanship up close. Still a bit untrusting, he stepped in front of the girl, asking in a polite voice: “Excuse me, do you require assistance with something?” he minded his tone and made sure he did his best not to stare at the weird woman, at least he thought she was one.
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gwin on April 26th, 2011, 12:33 pm

As Gwin went back and forth, examining the building, she heard laughter and voices from inside. Judging from how the noise was carried between the walls, she supposed the building had an inner yard that was filled with at least two people. As long as she hovered motionlessly, Gwin was able to discern details in the sound, but she didn’t understand what they were saying.

Then a girl came running around a corner. Gwin still hovered a little above ground, frozen in mild surprise, carried by a brilliant green blur of butterfly wings. As she observed, the girl was followed by a man. The first impression she got of him nearly hurt her eyes. The Akvatari were artists, worshippers of aesthetics and the beauty of nature and art, but as she saw the man she couldn’t help but look away. He was not pretty. His entire appearance, from head to toe to even his clothing lacked any aesthetically pleasing elements. Her instant reaction was looking away, protecting her eyes. She had come for inspiration, after all. When thinking about it, however, she discovered some paradox sense of beauty in the fact that she would meet a person with such an extraordinary appearance in a beautiful city such as Riverfall. It was remarkable, indeed. Since Gwin’s travels had taught her much about so-called coincidences, she was ready to open up for whatever the encounter had to offer.

If she required assistance, now that was an entirely different question. Before answering, Gwin thought her intentions over. Obviously, the human knew what kind of facility the building housed. He had come from inside, so he probably was a staff member, a worker or even the owner. However, would the owner of such a large complex play in the mud together with a young girl? Gwin, with her tendency to categorize people and things, thought it fairly unlikely. Still, he seemed to be at home around the place, so he was most likely able to tell her a bit about it.

She cleared her throat and, first of all, introduced herself. “My name is Gwin. I think I do require assistance, regarding knowledge about this place and also the city in general. Would you be so kind as to tell me what you do here and probably show me around a bit?” She spoke in a quiet and calm voice, almost slow, but at the same time listened to her own words and couldn’t help but wonder whether she had created unnecessary complications with her request. “You could call me a curious traveler, I suppose”, she added. With the satchel and instrument case, she did look like a minstrel on the road.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Mizuriel on April 30th, 2011, 1:34 pm

OOCSorry, I failed to post when expected.

As he came in front of the Akvatari, he could not help but feel like crap. People were usually turning their heads when they saw him, unless they were traders or other folk he had some business with. It wasn’t anything new to him to be observed as a monster based on appearance alone, still it couldn’t be pleasant either. Most of the time he would simply tell himself that he couldn’t care less; still that wasn’t true as often as he had wanted it to be.

Before he replied anything to the Akvatari who he now knew as Gwin, Mizuriel nodded to Samantha as he reached out his hand. Grabbing by the hand, Sam smiled slightly, as they both began to realize there was still some mud in her hand. Using his clean hand to ruffle the girl’s hair for a bit, the man spoke: “I am Mizuriel, and she is Samantha; we live here. I don’t think I would be able to tell you much about the city in general, as I came here recently myself. Still, showing you around shouldn’t be a problem!” he announced cheerfully. Then he gestured the woman she should follow him inside, while using his other arm to move the gate to the side. Kavala would have probably been the better choice when guides came to mind, but he was still confident he could do it well too.

As he went inside, Mizuriel stood there with Sam waiting for the Akvatari to walk after them, or fly, or whatever it was their kind did to move around. When the female finally came after him, he asked without turning back to face her: “So what do you want to see?”
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gwin on May 30th, 2011, 2:29 pm

“You live here”, she repeated, not doubting, but trying to grasp what he had just said. Living seemed good, she knew that humans lived in flat, rectangular buildings, after all, but to her the complex appeared a bit more than just a home.

The more the man spoke, the more her attention was drawn towards his voice and general expression rather than his ugly appearance. Gwin could get used to looking at him... if she got to know his personality, looks would matter less and less. It relieved her, and she let her tail relax under the grassy and emerald fur. He spoke of a tour through the building. That was what she had come for, indeed. “A tour would be nice... Mizuriel.” Tasting his name on her tongue, she somehow wriggled her way through the pronunciation. It probably caused confusion, but it was a pretty name. Did it have a meaning? Probably not.

When he opened the gate and showed the way, Gwin followed with whispering flaps of her butterfly-like wings. She still carried her satchel and violin case over her shoulder and started to look for a good place to drop it. Once inside the facility, she hoped that nobody would steal it while Mizuriel was showing her around.

Blinking when he asked of her interests, she pondered the question for a moment. But how was she able to give a good answer if she had no clue? Trying to request something that didn’t exist made no sense, after all. “What kind of place is this? It seems too large to be a mere place of living together.” Her gaze lingered on the girl for a while. Were they others? How many people did live in such a large house?
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Ragdoll on May 24th, 2014, 8:51 pm

Grade Awarded!

Gwin :
Skills
Skill Points
Observation 2
Socialization 2

Lores

Mizuriel: Aesthetically Challenged
    Mizuriel: Lives with Samantha

Comments

Sorry, there just...really wasn't much to award here. It could've gone in an interesting direction, though.

Mizuriel, if you ever return and want your portion graded, please let me know.

Though I try my hardest to award you what you deserve, I may occasionally mess things up! If there's something you'd like to discuss about your grade, then please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I'll be happy to work things out with you.

Riverfall - Behind the Waterfall - Mod Request Thread - Codex - OOC
Because of RL issues and a lack of energy that I can devote to Mizahar, I've decided to step down as an AS. I'm sorry to leave so suddenly, but it's truly been fun while it lasted. Hopefully I can come back some day.
Ragdoll
To err is human; to forgive is feline.

Words: 53704
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2014, 2:19 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes