[Challenge] The Inequities of Life I

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Alric Lysane on October 21st, 2022, 9:12 pm

26th Fall 522 AV - Mathias' Place

Fall 25th, 522 AV

There is some comfort in the emptiness of the sea. No past. No future. Nothing at all…as if there were no burdens…no responsibilities. A depth of nothingness to become lost in…but then the shining of scales in the dawn rays of Syna…speaks the lie to the serenity.

At times I remember the days in Sunberth fondly. No expectations. Nothing but the self…and the challenge to still be breathing at the rising of Leth…and beyond. It feels almost shameful, to live amongst abundance no one I knew before could ever hope to have…yet find it strangely…purposeless.

It is obvious what is truly the problem...but I can’t…I am beset by the ironies of my life.

I once overheard a conversation by some of the more learned…thugs. One asked whether a man could change his destiny. The others laughed…and kicked his ribs in for fun. From the shadows I wondered the same.

Mathias said there were many…destinies. Perhaps it is only whether a man does what he can, until his 'real' destiny is revealed to him. But the real question, that is never answerable…is what happens after…and whether some things can ever be redeemed…or beaten.

Alric Lysane

“Nymkarta”

The deep throbbing inside his skull jolted him awake, his eyes flaring open just enough to see that the light of dawn was barely beginning over the horizon in front of him. Alric rubbed his face, blinked and then rolled over to try to bury his face into the ground. The taste of sand caused him to rear up and splutter, the flash of wondering where he was hitting him for a few moments before memory trickled back in – he was on the beach. He had been writing and had fallen asleep by the warmth of the fire. The fact that he had not been awoken by the bite of sandflies was merely a testament to how powerful Stu’s concoctions were getting of late.

“Jade…is someone attacking us?”

“No”

“So there is no…imminent danger?” he asked with a wince for the pulsing in his skull.

“No”

“Then…why? It’s not even dawn yet”

“Yes it is Nymkarta”

Alric rolled to his side and looked upon the blended shades of darkness and light for a few moments, breathing and pushing back against the mild hangover, making sure he understood the time well enough before answering. Jade had a habit of being right, which was and endless source of annoyance for him, and what Alric thought was amusement for the Gasvik…after a fashion.

“Syna isn’t even fully up yet”

“You doubt my timing?”

“That’s a trick…you’re a tricksy Gasvik…gods why are we even having this conversation?”

“Because you need it”

“Meaning?”

“Meaning you need it. And Mathias was supposed to meet with you today. The time is right for…what was planned”

“Is that so?” he asked, watching the Gasvik carefully for a while, not getting anything but impassive certainty, not that he expected anything else, “Very well…I’ll…be along…soon”

“I will let him know, lost little beach thing”

“Oh you son of…” he began the curse and trailed off.

It was no use. As far as Jade had told him there were no mother Gasvik, so the insult didn’t work, and Jade took some amusement form the failure of it Alric was sure.

Not that he blamed the Gasvik, things had hardly been as Alric had planned since that fateful journey upon the Wind Eagle, what seemed so long ago. He was certain Jade was…disappointed. Perhaps many were, but Alric had been able to muster up little desire to ‘step into his birth right’ as it were. He wasn’t even sure what he was anymore, let alone what he could be.

With a groan he rolled over and began pushing himself to his feet, amongst much muttering and cursing. Once he had centered himself he began the walk towards Mathias’ cabin.

Words - 645

Last edited by Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 11:05 am

One of the good things about Syka was the fact that it largely peaceful, at least within the realms of the central commons themselves. Of course, out in the jungle things were different, more like Sunberth in the natural order sense of things. That meant that, as he walked slowly towards Mathias’ home, he didn’t have to worry much about something like a knife in the ribs. In fact, the worst he had seen so far were a few scuffles after the stronger of Stu’s wares - usually involving Artik in some way. That intrigued him and he still meant to get to know the oafish blacksmith, it seemed a dark but interesting thread to pull upon.

Anyone who has the magic to take raw metal and craft them into such variety of things…yet seems content upon solid self-destruction…there’s a story there somewhere…probably a terrible one he noted to himself as Jade’s form loomed up unexpectedly, causing him to sloppily pirouette around him.

“Decided against leading?” he asked, scratching his beard as they paused.

“I think he wanted to see you alone. The little one can have my company today”

“Which one?”

“Both”

“I suppose that I’ve been pushing her a little…”

“No. Your lives have been…unusual. Teaching her to protect herself I agree with”

“More than I go-“

“No. That I do not agree. It is time to see past some thoughts. This is an important day”

“Why?”

“Because it is. Mathias wanted to see you. I will leave you now, until later”

With that the Gasvik launched itself into flight, a fact that never failed to amaze Alric, the idea that such a large and strangely formed creature could be so graceful…at least after the initial half-awkward take off. Jade didn’t need to fly at all but Alric suspected he actually enjoyed doing so, especially somewhere like Syka. He made a note to ask the creature at some point before continuing the walk and eventually hitting the polished wood of the decking, there to climb and make his way around to the back, where he knew the Founder would be at an early hour.

He was surprised when the Priest wasn’t fishing but that didn’t stop Alric from pausing to take in the view out at the ocean. He liked Mathias’ home, he was usually welcome, and conversation varied. The sense of tranquillity and the serene views though were powerful draws in their own right. Yet they also caused a sense of unease in him at times, as if his mind rebelled and refused to give up on the notion that nothing was ever safe, tranquil and divorced from suffering. So far, he had had difficulty in letting go of the ‘Sunberth Way’. In the back of his mind he knew, he was always expecting that knife from somewhere. It was almost impossible to erase…or perhaps on some level he didn’t want to erase it…he wasn’t sure, he never had been good at self-reflection.

“Morning Alric,” came the greeting from behind him, as warm and strong as ever, “thank you for joining me, I thought that a bit of fishing might do you some good. Both of us some good”

“Morning Mathias. What happened? Another long day yesterday?”

“Every day is long if you know how to fill it Alric. You might find you enjoy it if you found out how to do it” the rumbling, jovial voice was the same as always, the eyes twinkling as usual, yet there was a slight pointedness to both that accompanied his words.

“You wanted to see me? Something about something important? Jade wasn’t specific”

“Well…everything is important in its own way. But yes, I thought you might enjoy a bit of fishing. Usually it’s accompanied by conversation, and you sorely need both”

“Why would I need fishing?”

“Because you need to learn” came the cryptic response as some equipment was pushed into Alric’s hands and he was gently nudged towards the section of decking that the birds always loved most and which he remembered from his first steps into Syka.

“No…no not that damned bi-“

“Mean man! No feed!” came the grating words, tinged somehow with their intended squawking.

“You remember that far back?”

“Remember no feed! No Feed!”

Alric groaned as Mathias chuckled and set about getting more gear for whatever he had planned for them both – Alric felt sure that fishing alone was not something important enough to merit a dawn awakening

Words - 744

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

[Challenge] The Inequities of Life

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 12:27 pm

“Put those down and come and grab these Alric, fishing rods. Can’t fish without them, not the way you’re going to be learning. And feed some of the bait to the birds, they’ll like you more. I told you, you need to gather yourself some friends”

“I treat the birds just fine, just can’t please them all,” he responded, placing the boxes and buckets down upon the decking and casting his eyes around for the bait tub he remembered seeing, finding it and then putting his hand in, noticing how his feathered nemesis went suspiciously quiet at that, “here, for you. Try remembering this” he said, tossing a few chunks of what he hoped was fish leftovers into the air and out towards the waves, the bird taking flight in pursuit”

“Change mind! Nice man!”

“Of course I am” he muttered to himself under his breath before turning back to find Mathias and taking hold upon the rods and another box, setting them down with the rest of the gear they were assembling.

“Do you know what the real secret to fishing is?”

“Being a Son of Laviku?”

“Good to know you haven’t lost your sense of humour,” Mathias chuckled and shook his head, meeting his gaze directly, “but no. The secret is getting comfortable…with a whole lot of nothing happening”

“So you’re saying patience?”

“No, boredom. Or the filling in of time to stave off boredom”

“Ah…herein lies the lesson?”

“You always were smart lad. You have a problem”

“Just one?”

“Forget Sran’tuka and the rest of it all. Think of Syka. You’ve had problems adjusting, haven’t really managed it. You think you’re the only city man to wash up on these shores? No, you aren’t. One of the more stubborn ones though, I have to say. So today…today you learn what I had to learn”

“Which is?”

“Do it right and you’ll find out. Come on, let’s get started. Setting ourselves up, that’s the second most important part of fishing”

“And why is that?”

“Because of the most important thing. Need to be comfortable, have provisions, things to occupy if you are by yourself. Come, help me get us ready” Mathias gestured towards a couple of seats and a few other boxes that looked to be filled with foodstuffs and a bottle of something or other.

It didn’t take them long to make sure that their time together wouldn’t be uncomfortable, at least for their bodies perhaps given the direction Mathias seemed to want to take in their conversation this day Alric noted. Two reasonably comfortable stools with backs, a small side table between them for their provisions, a fishing box before them both and a rod in their hands each. Alric poured them both what turned out to be a weak beer into their cups as Mathias busied himself with laying out items which Alric had never seen before, so simply waited patiently to be shown the reason for their existence, instead propping the fishing rod against his knee between his legs and leaning back to watch Syna’s rays grow brighter by the moment, soon to fully breach the horizon in all her blinding beauty.

“You spend a lot of time watching the horizon. Like you’re searching for something…or waiting”

“I never really had one in Sunberth. Least not one you could call beautiful or serene…or free from Slag Heap smokes. I find it…soothing”

“So Sran’tuka coming here doesn’t concern you anymore?”

“No it does, there’s just not much I can do about it. He will come or he will not”

“You could become ready for him?” Mathias suggested as he rummaged and found another item, no doubt to show its purpose in time, “I seem to remember telling you to form bonds, learn magic, develop skills and maybe even build a Tower, hmm? Have these things all passed already? They take time”

“Nothing has passed. Nothing does”

“Ah,” Mathias said, frowning at what looked like a feather of some kind, nodding to himself before knuckling the table between them and sweeping his hand across the assorted items, his smile and twinkling gaze returned, “these are your basic needs for most fishing, with a rod that is. Net fishing, trapping and the rest…that can be another morning lesson. Look them over, get a feel for them, a tradesman must always know their items intimately”

Words - 727

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 1:43 pm

Alric gazed upon the items, most of them small and of seemingly strange crafting. Some, like the small feathery items, he could guess both how they were made and what they might be used for – split from larger, true feathers and likely to try to attract attention of the fish for easier catching. Some, however, were stranger items that he simply raised an eyebrow to and remained in ignorance surrounded by curiosity. He took up each in turn, some taking more care with than others so as not to impale his fingertip with a metal hook, and others – such as the feathery items, he ruffled with a grin before placing them back down. There was a flash of a smile at that from the other man, who was clearly concerned about him but seemed amused by Alric’s own amusement for some reason.

“I am going to hazard a guess and say that the hook goes on the end, there to catch the fish? And that the bait…whatever it is…is put onto the hook?”

“A master fisherman already, are we? And the rest?” Mathias rumbled, nodding at the assorted items yet to be discerned and sipping at his cup, hiding his smile slightly.

“Not sure. The little balls,” he said, picking one up and starting to toss it from hand to hand idly as he thought, “not very heavy but some weight. Got a hoop on them, like something passes through maybe? Perhaps they go on the hook?”

“Maybe…what about the cork?”

“Light,” Alric said simply, picking up a piece and now tossing both from hand to hand, his tone of voice becoming more enthused, puzzling something out for a time, “too light for fishing surely? Floats doesn’t it? I seem to remember being told it was used for things that float, adds mass but…wait, what was it…buoyancy?”

“Too light to fish then?”

“Well fish are under the water no? Wait…so they work together you’re saying? One heavy, the other light. But not too heavy. Not like a proper weight heavy…so…just enough?”

“Getting warmer lad”

“The hook would float on the surface if the cork was too light…or too close. And fish aren’t that close to the surface...well no I don’t know that I am assuming, but I don’t see them near the surface when I go walking down the docks, not all the time at least. And the water below us…a bit deeper than there, looks…darker”

“So?” it was said with an encouraging tone of a rumble.

“So the little weight thing…that would sink…with the hook. But the cork stays on the surface? Why?”

“You’ll find out in a little while but yes, that is broadly the way it works. You put the bait on the hook, the weight a little ways above it on the line, that’s the cord of the rod, and the cork a bit further up, usually a good few feet. Feathers and shiny things, the other items you see…that’s different equipment for different types of fishing. Attracts different kinds of fish, depending upon what their habits are and what ones you’d rather catch…assuming you catch anything at all”

“You sometimes don’t catch things?” he asked with a quizzical look.

“Not often these days, but sometimes. Everything can effect animal habits – from weather that is unusual to unexpected visitors – predators and boats for example can disturb the waters, drive the fish you would catch away. Also time of day, the tide and depth of water…life is unpredictable, as you well know Alric”

Alric nodded at that just before Mathias gestured for him to watch as the Founder put together his own line as he had described to him, so that he could know what it was he should be replicating upon the rod that was reserved for himself. It was certainly an interesting thing to watch, the old man’s rough hands performing such gentle and deft movements – threading things onto the line and tying knots – double knots apparently as Alric would have trouble with other ones and they weren’t needed for now. It did make him wonder how the first person to fish ever thought it all up to begin with, it did seem somewhat strangely put together.

Perhaps it was added in at different times, the first person just having a rough hook…and time and human nature doing the rest? he mused to himself as he watched Mathias finish off the last piece of his construction before being told to do the replica upon his own rod.

It certainly took him a lot longer to put it all together than Mathias did, with quite a but more fumbling and less dexterity than he had initially hoped when starting. For his part Mathias tried to keep his chuckling to a minimum, but even so no sized cup could hide the twinkled amusement in his eyes or the smile across the man’s face. Tying on the hook wasn’t the problem, that was easy, but then finding out he had to do that last led to a nightmare undoing the know with his teeth, which then led to a pricked lip…and it didn’t get much better from there.

Still, in the end he held out a completed line – cork followed by a few feet of line before the little weight thing, then another little ways until the hook, which Mathias went over threading on the bait – which apparently could be anything attractive to the prey, but this time was some kind of grub or worm.

“So, there we are, ready to cast. Watch” Mathias said as he held the rod in his right hand and line in the other and deftly flicked the line out a little way into he waters, there for the hook to sink down and the cork to bob upon the surface merrily, dancing in the water’s movements.

Alric did the same, though less gracefully, and they both then took up their positions in their stools, there to…wait he was informed.

Words - 997

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 2:30 pm

“What now?” Alric asked the Founder.

“We wait and watch, if the corks start bobbing and sinking then something is on your line and you pull the thing in before you lose it”

“Hence why you like doing this with someone else there too?”

“Not always, but yes conversation is usually more than welcome. Though I sense that you probably do not feel the same depending upon what conversation is had. A fact that you need to get used to, then get over, if you wish to truly be a part of Syka”

“Meaning?”

“Meaning that there are no secrets here. At east not for long. Even a Priest of Rysol can’t hide here forever. Perhaps you should stop trying to”

“Who says I’m hiding?”

“No one…or everyone…depending upon how you interpret things”

Alric sighed and looked away at the horizon once more. Mathias had been right, this wasn’t a conversation he wanted to have. Not because he didn’t care for Syka, or for very specific people in it, but because it was a thread that, if pulled upon, unwound all the way back to the beginning of what had fast become know to him as his ‘new life’. Dreamwalkers, magic, Sran’tuka, divine interactions…divine tortures…everything. He knew that the way he thought of it all, the way some of it made him feel, was perhaps not what the desired effects might have been…yet that didn’t change things in the moment. Nor did it change how he felt about himself. Whilst he had had a ‘mission’ to focus his attentions he had been able to push back processing much of it but now…since coming to live in such an easy, abundant paradise…it was all he could do to not deal with it, and he really didn’t want to, it would probably drive him mad.

“Perhaps it’s just better for others at the moment”

“And better for Tazrae…for you?”

“What do you want from me Mathias? You said there were multiple destinies, perhaps this is just one where I don’t get to be some great person. Perhaps it’s just one where I’m normal?” she said with exasperation, the Priest’s snort of irritation telling him what he felt about that, “or perhaps…perhaps I’d rather keep my mind than delve back into what your deity put into my mind. I tried, I did, to become part of this place. But every time I was enjoying myself flashes of some alternate life kept coming into my mind’s eye. Shyke…I need a smoke” he sighed once more, eyeing his non-bobbing line before taking out his black pearl pipe, thumbing in some tobacco and taking a candle that one of the smaller Gasvik brought out to them both – Mathias was putting his own pipe together.

There were a few minutes where nothing was said, instead the smoke curling around them, between them, and their gazes watching their liens thoughtfully as the mellowing bloom of their smoking caused muscles to relax in Alric that he hadn’t even realised were primed for action.

“When he told me…well let’s just say I wouldn’t have said to do what was done. But I am a mortal, I don’t know what is the best thing to do for what ends are best in the future. Not just for me, or you, but for many people. One thing I have learned is that nothing great happens without sacrifice. Did you know that my first expedition here was…a total failure…and that’s putting it mildly”

“I didn’t know…though I’m not sure what that-“

“If I had given up, not sacrificed that trip, and many others after, then Syka would not exist. You would not be here. Neither would anyone else. And not just that, all of the choices along the way. Each choice having dozens of possible outcomes…all of them leading to here...now. And everyone else’s choices that brought them here, for what purpose I can’t claim to fully know”

“You’re saying that I should be happy and just accept everything because it might have a good ending?”

“I’m saying that staying still merely leads to no more choices…no possibilities. And that sometimes dealing with…whatever it is…is the doorway to…more”
“I’m not sure I can see it that way. I get Eyris and Ionu, as far as I am currently able, but the memories given to me…I don’t get that. Perhaps one day I will get an answer but-“

“But until then you need to live, or you’ll both not have a life and lose the chance at one”

“And that is why today is important? Because it’s a point of choice?”

“Perhaps. I don’t know. I just know that today is important for you and wanted to be here, to help if I can. I’ll let you think it over, in silence, whilst we fish. And if you want to talk further then we can, about this or about other things. But know that merely going through the motions of things doesn’t achieve much, for anyone, in the end”

From there the day went along a companionable rhythm, fish were caught of varying types and Mathias’s bucket filled quicker than Alric’s did, which was not surprising. They talked of many things – both important and trivial – and enjoyed a lot of relaxed puffing of smoke. Jade visited a few times, mostly to let Alric know Lys was fine, if getting into mischief. The day didn’t feel important to Alric, though certainly he was given much to think upon. But it’s ending came as normally as the ending of any day in Syka did, eyes closing upon a paradise that in some ways was a slight torment for a Son of Sunberth.

Words - 946
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes