[Challenge] The Inequities of Life II

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 3:50 pm

26th Fall 522 AV - Mathias' Place

“Nymkarta”

The familiar deep voice of Jade stirred him awake, his eyes flicking open just before the slight hangover cudgelled him with its presence. His gaze slipped from the Gasvik and to the horizon, then his immediate surroundings, and then he blinked a few times as he opened and closed his mouth with a sense of déjà vu so powerful it brough silence. He hadn’t fallen asleep on the sand last night, not after fishing with Mathias. No, the Founder had offered him his decking since they had talked long into the night and Alric wasn’t even sure if Tazrae would be back at Garden Beach, she did like to roam and explore after all.

I also didn’t drink anything beyond the two watered beers…or whatever they were…wait…was it all a dream or something? But it felt so real! I swear if this was one of your pranks Ionu….oh gods please don’t be petching with me again, I wanted at least a couple free seasons….no…no I don’t sense him nearby…though who knows with gods? the thoughts flashed through his mind quick as a flash before he pushed himself up and to his feet.

“It is dawn Nymkarta”

“Yes, I know. And you’re waking me because…”

“surprising, you usually doubt my timing. Mathias wishes to see you. He says th-“

“That it’s important. And no, I don’t doubt your timing this time. Are you messing with me Jade? There isn’t some Gasvik magic, or ability, to repeat events…or create dreams in others is there?”

There was a long, drawn out silence as the Gasvik peered at Alric impassively. It was difficult to describe to others how Alric knew what Jade was doing, where he was looking and other things, but he was sure the creature was staring at him with a puzzling sense for quite a while. In the end Jade shifted in what Alric could only feel was a shrug and then turned, lumbering ahead and expecting Alric to follow.

“How did you know?”

“Know what?” Alric asked.

“That I was an important day? Are you finally learning to embrace all of your birth right?”

“I…wait what? No, I just…stop Jade…stop! We’ve had this morning nice already, I swear I just had it. That’s why I asked about the dreaming stuff”

“Amusing trick Nymkarta, now who is trying to trick who?”

“I’m being serious. Look you’re about to fly off to tell Mathias that I am on my way and call me a lost little beach thing”

“You are correct, you are a lost little beach thing. Well done for finally realising. I am going to go te-“

“See?”

“Where else would I go? If this is the best your line has to offer then I’m not sure why I follow, even if I was asked”

“Must be my charming personality”

“Must be…I will go tend to the little one, Mathias waits”

With that the Gasvik was gone, this time teleported instead of flying, which was a change from his memory. Still to say he was unsettled was an understatement. Then again he had had other strange dreams before, he supposed that perhaps this was one of those times. Things were not quite exactly the same. Or, gods preserve him, he was getting some kind of divinatory ability welling up naturally – he really hoped not, he’d seen enough possible futures to sicken his stomach already. Shaking his head he sighed, pinched his brow and began the slow journey to Mathias’ Place.

“This is going to be an odd day, bloody shyke it’s going to be. Still…Mathias has done much for me…and I have been meaning to go and see him. Maybe that’s what this is, I’ve bene thinking about it for a while…coincidence” he muttered, gaze scanning around at his surroundings and truly taking them in – they were beautiful, if in a rustic kind of way.

Then again, Sunberth had worse buildings on every street. At least here they’re solidly made he thought to himself as he walked.

Words - 668

~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 5:39 pm

“Morning Alric,” came the greeting from behind him, as warm and strong as ever, “thank you for joining me, I thought that a bit of fishing might do you some good. Both of us some good”

There was a shudder down his spine at the words as they came from behind him, exactly as his dream memory had been. Another ripple of déjà vu went through him and he held his breath, eyes searching the horizon as if it would be able to help him. It was strange and he knew he must be going mad, yet still his sense told him something strange was afoot. An important day indeed.

“You wanted to see me Mathias? Something about an important day?” he managed to get out after a few more moments of breathing through his nose as the view before him,

“I see you’ve lost some manners too in your time being by yourself. At least the one you love has a reason not to, yet more of them it seems. Perhaps this wasn’t the right time after all”

“I’m sorry, good morning Mathias, I just…today is already a strange day…you wanted to show me fishing, no?”

There was a brief time of silence as Mathias rubbed his jaw, the usual twinkle of his eyes turning to a concentrated studying, before he chuckled and it returned, passing across boxes and stools to Alric and beckoning him over. Alric was taken aback, sure these were the same as his dream but unsure too that he had not just seen them before and his mind had used them for his evening’s…entertainment. He walked over and took what was offered to him, still feeling not quite himself, and set about putting together the same setup that he remembered from the night’s dream.

“You’ve got some luck you know, either that of you know people better than you think. Or did Jade tell you?” Mathias asked as he settled down into his seat, passing Alric the fishing rod.

Alric studied it for a while and found it to be the one he had dreamed and shuddered again.

“You seem a bit out of sorts today lad, are you sure you’re okay? Not coming down with something are you?”

“I have no idea…maybe…no Jade didn’t tell me. Just…a feeling. Like I have the feeling that I already know how to put this rod together, though no doubt that would be the first lesson, yes?”

“Master fisherman already, are we? Alright, put your miza where your mouth is…show me”

“No feed! No feed!”

“Alright! Yes, mean man, you remember. Take this and leave” he tossed some bait for the birds, who left happily after sounding off at him a bit more, their feathers less ruffled again.

He set about putting the fishing line together as he remembered from his dream, his hands finding the right box he had seen Mathias use and then the right items, sliding on and knotting the cork, weight and then the hook, at their appropriate lengths from each other. All the while Mathias lit up his pipe and nodded with some approval, in the end clapping his hands, the twinkle back in his eyes as he inspected Alric’s work and found it to be good, if obviously amateurish. Passing the rod back the Founder set about putting his own together after offering Alric a match for starting a smoke.

“Smoke?”

“Ionu and Eyris is bed together bloody right I will” he breathed, his fingers uncommonly disorganised and shaky as he thumbed in the tobacco, almost desperately taking a deep drag upon the black pearl gift from Laviku once it was ready, his eyes closing and leaning back into the back of the stool, as if by doing so everything would go away.

Once Mathias was done they silently cast their lines, Mathias nodding at Alric’s technique but not commenting on how it was a mimic of his own, at least not at first if he noticed.

“Didn’t know you had fished before”

“Never fished a day in my life”

“Seem to know what you’re doing”

“Oh good, because I have no idea” he pinched his brow before shaking his head and puffing away further at his pipe, his eyes glued to his cork in the water as if it were

Words - 719
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 6:39 pm

“Laviku gifted you that, have you ever thought about why?” Mathias said after a time of inaction, the corks floating in the water peacefully, albeit shifting around with the waves.

So engrossed was Alric in his smoking, his nervousness and sense of oddness finally fading for having been seated and the tobacco doing its work of calming, that he was startled by the question. It was a few moments before he even realised that he had been asked it, another few moments of reflecting upon it, looking at the pipe in his hands, before he even had the beginnings on an answer. However, at least the question was new and, as such, made him feel a little better about his odd dream prophecies.

“I had assumed that it was because of my blood. Or because of what was happening at the time. Or maybe because his son might need someone to watch over him”

“And a fine job you’ve done with that too, best correct that before the father returns one of these days. He is hardly known as a forgiving god, at least so they say”

“So they say? I think you just want me to spend time with the lad”

“And so should you. You did promise after all”

“I know!....I know…not a lot seems to have gone right of late, let’s just say that. Why do you think he gave it to me then?”

“Because you were worth the acknowledgement. That is all that can be said, his mind is his own to know. I can’t claim to know that of a god’s, even my own,” Mathias looked away briefly then, nibbling at the stem of his pipe as if thinking upon how to approach something of import, “they listen to us, you see. Priests and trusted ones especially. But they are their own power, unknowable in many ways, and they know best. At least when it comes to their domains. Alric…”

Don’t say it, don’t say it, don’t say it was all Alric could think as the Founder ruminated upon his words, taking his time saying them.

“I know what Xyvas showed you Alric…I know that could be why you are…being distant and-“

“Shyke!” he muttered under his breath, his eyes widening before he inhaled unexpectedly and started coughing out the smoke, Mathias slapping his back until the coughing fit had expired and they were both back in their stools, about to speak again until the corks started dipping beneath the water and they grabbed their rods, their pipes aside upon the table for now.

There was a sense of frantic urgency as they pulled back, almost in unison as Alric tried to copy what he remembered from his ‘possibly a dream’ dream, easing off the tugging as the tension and pressure on his grip became too much, pulling further and reeling it in when it slackened. Mathias was more practised and reeled his in within a chime or two but Alric kept at his efforts stubbornly, sweat beading upon his brow and his grip tiring and only just getting the bass out of the water before he was ready to give up, pulling it in further, reeling the line in before smacking it’s head and slipping it into the ice chest Mathias seemed to have, that reminded him of the one Tazrae owned.

“Good lad! Good! First catch of the day. Here, grab some more bait and we’ll slip them back in to try for another” the Founder instructed, and Alric complied, if only to stave off the inevitable conversation afterwards.

He took his time though, beginning to think that whatever he had dreamed the previous night was somehow coming true. He didn’t want the conversation like this, it was all wrong. Mathias meant well, he knew the man was like a warm fire of comfort really, but all Alric wanted to do was forget about the whole thing and head back down the beach. The memories that were inside his head were not true ones, yet there were true at the same time. It wasn’t what he remembered that was so troubling, it was the fact he was even capable of them. That, more than anything, had occupied his thoughts. How could he deserve anything if that were the case? Why would he think friends, loved ones or anyone would be safe knowing him if it were? Xhyvas had shown him things to try tog et him to understand his father – Kalas – and his strength. Yet Alric wasn’t fully sure the god understood humans, or at least himself – he wasn’t his father. He was weaker, much weaker, and so he had been shown to be. It was one thing to suspect you were weaker, capable of great evil…it was another to have the proof of it.

“So…what you were…”

“Just stop Mathias,” Alric sighed, taking up his pipe once more and frowning at the horizon pensively, “what do you want me to say? That I understand? I do. Does it help? No. Can I forget? No. Would I forget if I could? No”

“You know, I didn’t get Syka sorted in one trip”

“I know. It is a true tale of honest, strong perseverance. But I am not you Mathias. Nor am I my father. Or grandfather, whoever he is. I think you gave Zhyad to the wrong man. And I think I am not as strong as some believe. Sran’tuka? No, I am not obsessed with him, or his arrival…I know you want to ask me that too. If he arrives tomorrow would I be able to resist him? I doubt it. You called me here for an intervention, so please intervene…please. How should I deal with an ancient monster who wants my body, a litany of evil memories of atrocities I committed but didn’t commit and a bloodline the gods are interested but I can’t live up to? Please tell me…” he trailed off, the Founder’s silence speaking more than anything else could.

They both returned their gazes to the corks then, enveloped by their thoughts and the merry mood that Alric remembered from his dream seemingly no longer present. Had he changed it…or was it just fate petching with him and giving him faulty dreams?

Words - 1044

Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 7:15 pm

There was another scrambling for the lines after a few chimes, corks bobbing and jerking violently and the pressures upon the rods stronger than before, bending them to the point of breaking and beyond what Alric’s talents were able to deal with, such as they were. He fought the rod and line, easing it off where he felt he could but merely holding the line when it came to reeling it in. He lasted just long enough for Mathias to step in and take over, giving him a lesson as he grunted and fought with the sea beast that was on the line.

“See there Alric, how the rod bends? See how it lessens every so often? Fish don’t go in one direction when they…panic…see? See?! Hah! When they come your way you pull…and...reel in! Then hold the line…don’t let it ease off unless absolutely needed. That way…you get it in…bit…by…bit!” the Founder grinned in triumph as he pulled a giant sea bass, at least three times the size of the others caught, out of the waters and proceeded to end its life mercifully and heave it into the storage, handing the rod to Alric to reset, which he did slowly and between recovery breaths.

As he set about putting more bait upon the hook, not ready to admit that he was actually enjoying fishing more than he had expected, something gave him pause. He was about to hook on another worm creature when he noticed that the droplets of water that fell from the hook stopped…in mid-air…slowing down first as if time didn’t apply…then rushing back to hit the hook and gather there once more. This happened three, four times perhaps, and then they resumed their course once more, pouring to the decking below as if nothing had happened.

“What…the…petch” he muttered, his eyes narrowing as he frowned at the hook, jolted suddenly from his focus by Mathias’s slap upon his shoulder.

“Going to cast it or do I have to do all of your fishing now” he chuckled, smoke curling round the Founder’s face once more and Alric chuckled, slightly nervously, before slipping on the worm and casting the line out once more as he had been shown.

They settled into their seats once more, this time Mathias poured them drinks and sipped out some meats and cheeses to snack upon, making Alric realise that time had passed to the extent that getting away with an early lunch might be possible, if one were playing by the rules of time. Something he was doubting now after that strange experience with the water moments ago. Either way he nibbled at the offerings as he watched the cork, puffing away the last of his tobacco before cleaning the end of the pipe stem and setting I aside for now.

“No lad…light another one. Today is a day for thoughtfulness, even if no answers are forthcoming,” Mathias suggested, passing him another lit firestick item and thumbing more of his own tobacco into he bowl of Alric’s pipe this time, watching him as he lit it and nodding with approval, “indulgence is not always a bad thing. Still…your own ones of late…well let’s just say you could have done better. Still…you are right…how would you deal with such things? I am not sure I would know either if they were mine to deal with. But they are yours, and you must find a way. Do you not think so?” the question was softer this time, softer than his remembered dream day, yet still pointed and precise…a rapier wrapped with soft silk.

“Could have done worse” he sighed, puffing a few times to get the bowl going before frowning at the horizon once more and responding.

“Not a strong response and you know it. Have you talked about this with…” the Founder’s words stopped as Aric shook his head, “you need to. Doesn’t matter if it ends badly, no one can carry every burden alone. I might not be you, but I know that much. Working together, sharing the load, pooling resources…it’s what community is all about, deep down at its core”

“I’m not part of the community Mathias, I never was. I was transplanted in to deal with a problem, didn’t even do that well. I have precious little connections here, and the ones I do have I am in danger of losing, if they are not already lost. At times I feel it would have bene better to die that day, on Ionu’s mission. At least then I’d not still be a potential weapon”

“You don’t mean that, I know you don’t. An old man realises when a young one may be surrounded by the love of his life…yet struggling with his own burdens…not wanting to inflict them upon others”

“No…I don’t, you are right. I am happy here. I just…don’t know where I fit. What to do…even whether I belong here. It’s quiet…to quiet. Nothing bustles here, nothing threatens or challenges…not in ways I am used to. In Sunberth the rules were know but here…I don’t even know anymore”

“Have you tried actually interacting? Learning? There is much her that is more difficult than you can imagine. I know. Zeltiva, Sunberth…cities have their trials for certain but here…have you ever tried uniting dozens of people under one general vision? Hacking back the wilderness to let building even happen, let alone the building itself? Or dealt with the dangers of the wild? I can tell you they are a sight more than the dangers of cities because they have no rules…at least not the rules you are used to…city boy” the Founder grinned then, eyes twinkling once more, though his tone was still serious.

Words - 953
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Alric Lysane on October 23rd, 2022, 9:25 pm

“I’m not sure it matters anymore Mathias, from what I’ve experienced destiny tends to cub you over the head rather than give you a choice and provide you with wiggle room. You do realise that the last time I had something intervene I was told that I needed to kill someone in exchange for the gifts given. Not that I’m complaining, but it’s a little hard to argue that control rests in my hands when the evidence of my life is to the contrary. Gods I didn’t even choose my home city…that was my father’s choice” me returned thoughtfully, not in a bitter way but instead talking as if these were facts, lining them up for the Priest to deal with.

There was a period of silent reflection, both of them puffing away at their pipes, before Mathias spoke up in a manner that Alric was unfamiliar with, and so seemed uncharacteristic.

“Boo hoo”

“What was that?”

“You heard me Alric, boo hoo. Sadly, you do not get to decide what your starting stars align to be. Or, to put differently, none of us get to choose our starting hands in a game of cards. What we do get to choose is which ones we trade out, and how we play”

“For a twinkle eyed old Priest you suddenly got a lot harder in nature”

“Sometimes it’s needed, and let’s be frank you are not the usual customer. I’ve said it before, you’re smart. I could use flowery words and philosophical platitudes…but all you’d do is argue them with me, and convincingly is some cases. No, the time for soft talk is over. You are at a crossroads, Alric, anyone can see it though I can see more than most. What I don’t want is for the wrong path to be taken”

“Define wrong?” was all he could muster up a response for in face of the verbal onslaught.

“Being where you leave here, or Sran’tuka takes you, or when any version of darkness occurs because of your foolish choices. You realise that that you are not the normal person. What you decide to do matters, in ways you aren’t even aware. You could leave, get captured, and the whole of Mizahar suffers. Or you could retreat into the jungle, die and then Syka does not get your contributions. Or you could stay, influence many people’s lives and make things better than they are”

“I think you give me too much credit, I am one man”

“Doesn’t matter. One person, whoever they are, can change so many things with so many choices. The point is that right now you are being a bit of an ass and really you need to stop it before you lose everything. You don’t like the hand you’re dealt…change it”

“Change my hand…how exactly? It’s already dealt” he asked with a twinge of sarcasm.

“Is it? What exactly have you done here to help yourself? Who have you befriended? What skills have you learned? You think I brought you here to fish just for fun? Or is it because and actual fisherman might provide enough food abundance to do many other things, should you have an aptitude for it?”

There was silence for a time, the challenge to Alric’s mentality quire clear, and though it was full of holes in terms of logic he still felt it resonate within him. It didn’t solve his problems at all, or erase the things that were underpinning his lack of faith in himself – amongst a variety of things – and yet it felt as if some form of foundation had been placed beneath him somehow. He breathed deeply, closing his eyes for a few moments.

“You’re saying that I should use others…not in the sordid way…but as a form of…mirror? If I can provide for them then, perhaps, I will become a provider…as it were? That what defines us is what we do, what we offer, rather than anything else…fine. And if I try all that, if I try to learn and bond and it all fails?”

“Then you come back here and tell me I was wrong…but I think that won’t happen. We become what do, in the end”

“Hmm, an interesting proposition. I will think it over. For now, though, I’ve had enough of this. I’d rather fish and not think about anything else”

“On that we can agree…for now” Mathias chuckled and they set about fishing once more, or more accurately spending most of the day gazing upon non-bobbing corks, until the light of Syna waned and Leth took over, Alric sleeping upon the decking once more and pondering upon the Priest’s words.

Words - 777
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes