[The Rearing Stallion] That Time of the Year (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on April 2nd, 2011, 3:27 am

Spring 9th, 511, Midafternoon

Jonathon breathed in the fresh air of the Rearing Stallion. His heart was light as could be, his soul uplifted. He loved spring the way only a woodsman could, amatuer though he may be. It crossed Jonathon's mind that he had been to the tavern a lot recently...

It's a fun place to be. Plus, this is where I meet most of my partners. Also, it's not like he was getting wasted or anything. He was just hanging out, chatting, and doing that one thing he needed to do to live... ya know, eat. Why do I always argue with myself? Jonathon, pondering, took a table in the corner of the tavern. It was empty.

A barmaid appeared promptly. "Would you like anything to eat, sir?" The barmaid winked at Jonathon. He held back his blush. "No, nothing... Well, maybe. Just... something... erm, cheap." The barmaid's eyes scurried over his clothing. "You don't look the poor type... thrifty, hmm?" Jonathon scowled. "Just go get the damn food." The barmaid left in a slight huff.

Jonathon leaned back, waiting for the food to return. He watched the busy tavern, looking for a good man (or woman, for that matter) or two to accompnay him on his little trip. The first of the season, sure to be a doozy.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Dimitri on April 2nd, 2011, 5:38 am

Dimitri had returned to the Rearing Stallion once more to assist Remi and her husband. She was teaching him how to prepare ham. He arrived to find her husband hauling a massive hog, maybe sixty pounds, already cleaned and butchered. He placed it on a large wooden counter and smiled, "You're in for a treat kid." He walked back out to the bar, and Dimitri turned to Remi to see a hatchet blade inches from his face. She handed him the hatchet and a hammer, and told him to split the spine and skull of the pig. She said not to cut all of the way through the head so the pig would be properly splayed. He placed the head of the hatched near the back side of the hog, and with a swift thud of the hammer, it cut through the spine with a sickening crack. He did this all the way up the spine. The pig's body was splayed open like a butterfly. He then placed the hatchet at the skull. With a thud, the hatchet was driven through with a crack and squish. "Well done young squire, now get on one side of the hog."

He did so and she handed him a large bin of salt. "Rub down the skin on the outside with a liberal amount of salt." He grabbed a handful and began rubbing salt into the tough skin. She was quicker but he watched her and began moving his hands in circular motions as she was doing. She then handed him a knife. "Make several slits in the meat, but do not cut through the skin." He watched her place the edge flat against the meat and then dipped it in, and ran it backwards and out. He mimicked her, albeit more slowly, until the hog was all slitted up. She handed him several half cloves of garlic, "Stuff those inside of the slits." He did so, finding the smell of garlic strangely enticing. She then handed him a large bowl of a strange looking paste. "This is a combination of garlic, salt, peppercorns, oregano, and orange juice. I want you to slather this all on the meaty areas, but not on the skin. He got his hands dirty, and slathered the pig. "And we are done, we will marinate this over night, and cook it tomorrow. Now clean up and go bus tables"

He washed up, grabbed his tray, bucket, and rag. He went out into the bar area, saw a small crowd and began his rounds. After a few clean tables everything looked good. He went behind the bar and grabbed his bow and began polish the wood part waiting for more customers to finish their food and beer.
Dimitri
Squire

Words: 181534
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on April 2nd, 2011, 5:50 am

Jonathon approached the bar. His food hadn't come yet, and he wasn't really hungry anyways. Also, there was a rather promising possible hunter behind the bar... the way he cleaned his bow didn't speak of a total amateur. It appeared he worked here, but he also had the build of a fighter.

"Hello, sir?" Jonathon attempted to gain his attention. "You wouldn't happen to have any hunting experience, would you?" Jonathon sat down nearby, his eyes flickering over the squire. "I'm trying to make a hunting party, and you look ideal for the job." Blunt, but he seemed at a glance like the man who would appreciate frankness.

The waitress walked past him in a huff. Not really knowing what he ordered, he couldn't tell if she was holding his food or not. She did manage to bang rather rudely into Jonathon on the way. Jonathon sighed at the interruption. "We'd be heading out tomorrow. You'll be keeping a heavy section of the loot we yield." Jonathon eyed his (hopefully) new partner. "How about it?"
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Dimitri on April 2nd, 2011, 6:21 am

Dimitri was a bit surprised at the man's attention to him and his forwardness but that didn't make him like the idea any less. He could handle a bow, but needed hunting practice, besides he liked getting out of the walls, which is surprisingly rare for squires and Knights. "I'm no expert at hunting, but I am squire of Syliras so I would gladly join you. When and where would you meet tomorrow?"

He began running a mental checklist. He would need a knife, his bow and quiver, his axe, and a basic survival pack. He continued to polish his whitewood bow, and keenly checked the string. He checked for frays and tears. He would oil it up when he returned to his dormitory. He turned back to the kitchen and grabbed a tray with the man's food order on it. He slid the man's plate toward him, "I don't believe I caught your name Ser, I am Dimitri Chenkov, squire to Ser Adamal Brinkaas, of White Company, First Regiment, Silver Quadron of the Syliran Knights, and it is a pleasure to meet you."
Dimitri
Squire

Words: 181534
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on April 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm

Jonathon nodded along with his speech. "A squire, huh?" A squire would definitely be more helpful than the others who wanted a hunting trip. Klyph hadn't been so bad, but he wasn't exactly a model hunter. But a squire would know how to properly use a bow, and his combat skills would be helpful if they ran into anything they didn't appreciate.

"All right, no need to worry about that. I've taken along less experienced men on my hunting trips." Jonathon shrugged. "If anything, you being a squire is much better than average. Meet me at dawn tomorrow, at the main gate. Make sure to pack for two days; we'll probably be staying overnight in the Cobalt Mountains." Jonathon looked out the window. "Until then, goodbye. I have a few errands to run." Jonathon waved, and made his way once again through the people.

Arriving at his table, he once again found no food. Jonathon tossed seven copper mizas on the table and left. Screw it, I have food at home anyways.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Leviathan on May 2nd, 2011, 6:56 pm

Thread Award!
Jonathon

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Negotiation 1 --

Lore
N\A

Dima

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Cooking 1 --

Lore
Food Preparation: Spiced and Seasoned Pig
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook