Closed [Moritz Residence]A Home Found[Caspian]

Moritz settles into his new home and runs into Caspian...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Moritz Residence]A Home Found[Caspian]

Postby Moritz Craven on July 28th, 2023, 8:48 pm

After finishing explaining, Moritz realized at this point he was basically giving Caspian a lesson or lecture on magic.Or at least, his magic. Which sort of made sense, seeing as the man seemed to know next to nothing about it. He needed to give him at least a basic explanation of things if he was to tell him about his magic, and clearly the man had questions.

So busy was he from moving along from one subject to another he did not really fully think about what metaphor he was using. Afterwards when realizing he had basically said he could find the man if he ever got abducted, Caspian did not really respond at all. This seemed to imply that either he was not paying attention, or perhaps even thought it was likely he would be absconded with and preparing for such things was normal in Sunberth. Moritz was unsure which would be worse, finding such a thing normal, or him not fully paying attention to what he said.

Instead when he did respond it was to become angry or alarmed that Moritz had been going around telling everyone his secrets. Which he certainly had not been.

"In Sunberth? As far as I know, just you. I don't exactly go around talking about my magic. I'm pretty sure some people back in Syka and Lhavit know about it, but its not so serious being a magic user there. But here in Sunberth I've kept it to myself till now with me telling you. Father Manowar I'm pretty sure knows I'm a Kelvic. Goldfinger too, but well he seems to have gotten info on me and knew about it. I didn't tell him. But I don't think either of them know about anything else, other than me being a Kelvic. At least they never said. Most people wouldn't know the signs of being an Iraso unless they know a lot about magic, and if they know a lot about magic they are probably the sort to not go outing magic users in the city... I've barely met anyone who knew what it meant, and all of them were elders from off world back in Syka who knew all sorts of odd things. Besides, if someone notices my eyes, I can usually just play it off with being a Kelvic since I do have odd eyes from being one. I don't often reveal that either, but it seems to be the lesser of the two secrets."

Once he was done explaining further Moritz listened to Caspian try to voice his understanding of magic. While Moritz own was a big vague, he was fairly certain the man was off the mark.

"Uh, as far as I know none of those are magics, at least not ones I know, of course that does not mean they do not exist. But I think your misunderstanding something. Magic isn't one thing. You know magic, and you can do it all. Yeah no, that is not how it works in my understanding. I've seen a few I don't practice, but I don't really know much about them. Of the ones I do use I understand fairly well, but each magic I use is limited. Your thinking of magic being all one thing, but its more like... Uh... An assortment of tools. Say you had a shovel. If you need to dig a hole, you can use it to do that. But say you wanted to build a house. It might do a bit of work there, but not much. And then say you wanted to cook a meal, or make a living dog, how much is that shovel gonna do? Each magic is like that, it does what it does, within its somewhat narrow use, but it can't do what every other tool does. Does that make sense?"

Pausing here for emphasis Moritz caught his breath, still staring into Caspian with his djed active eyes. The longer he looked, the better he grasped the nuances of his djed, coming to recognize his particular djed signature. What was like others. What was different from others. What made him, him. It took him, and he was still working it over, but he could feel himself grasping the essence of his essence.

"So, I am an Iraso. That is my eyes. That's all about looking at things, seeing them with these eyes. I also mentioned Spiritism, dealing with ghosts. That is were soulmist comes in. Basically, ghosts are not physical. But they sort of have this... Outer coating. That is soulmist. Its sort of this off white, sort of glowy, stuff. Cool to the touch. Its at once fuel and substance for them. They use it when doing certain things, and it naturally comes from them. But a Spiritist can also make some of the stuff artificially. We can give it to ghosts we choose, use it for other things, infuse it into stuff. Weapons, armor, buildings. Mine though is weak and decays pretty fast, since I'm not all that skilled at it. My mother was a master, she could call a ghost with a whiff of hers, and when she infused something it lasted permanently. I'm no where near there. Besides, without any ghosts around, it wouldn't do anything. It'd just be some weird glop in a bowl or whatever. Not much point in making it right now."

Caspian finally having seemed to settle down, Moritz in turn was able to think about other things and what to do next. However before he could finish that thought Caspian had another question, apparently having overheard what he had said out loud without fully realizing.

"Uh yeah so... That is the third magic I know, but its not really something you can see. It lets me talk to and interact with sentient buildings, stuff like that. They are pretty rare though, and not all over the place. So I've not been able to practice much. I actually grew up in a sentient house. For awhile when I was a kid I thought other buildings were being rude and ignoring me, not responding and just sitting there not moving. Eventually I worked out our place was special, though I think there are others out there like Infinity Manor that are alive and awake."

Pausing Moritz looked over at where he knew the cottage area of the house to be, where the new Arch structure was slowly growing.

"I actually visited Lhavit recently, after I arrived in Sunberth. Kind of a weird case of travel. Not sure exactly how I managed it... Thats when I met Infinity again and became an Archi mage. Thats one of the reasons I wanted a house built, and wanted it good. She gave me a piece of herself, and I seeded this place with it... But the new place is newborn, freshly made into an Arch building, so it can't really do anything yet. Maybe in a few seasons it'll be able to talk to me and other Archi mages, and move its parts a bit, and other such things such places do. For now though its newborn, so it can't even talk. Don't think its even spread through the entire building yet. But, you know, sooner is better than later, and the sooner I made this place an Arch structure the sooner it'll be able to protect itself."

WC: 1,232
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Caspian on August 1st, 2023, 1:45 pm

“Right, I, uh, suppose one wouldn’t want to stick a shovel into one’s stew,” Caspian replies, laughing nervously. The comment is a distracted one; he’s listening, but this is quite a lot, and with Moritz conversations are always quantifiably kind of much, but this is the first time, at least for Caspian, that it feels like the subject matter itself is a bit above his pay grade. It feels like he’s being pulled out away from the shore, with a wave crashing overhead and pulling him under.

He’s heard of Syka and Lhavit. Perhaps. And only very vaguely. To be honest, he isn’t sure he could point them out on a map – and yes, that’s a bit embarrassing given that he had spent so much time in Zeltiva, with its city-wide resources and university. It’s hard to imagine a place where everyone is simply okay with magic; even okay-ish would do. “If that’s the case, though – why would you leave? Given that the consequences of anyone finding out you can do magic here are so high. I mean – I suppose you’ve told me why you’re here before, but this is a pretty serious consideration.”

And then he remembers, all of a sudden, that he’s half Vantha. It’s funny how easily one can forget such a thing. Then again, it hadn’t and hasn’t been so hard to pretend he isn’t. As Moritz gives some explanation as to how his magic has gone unnoticed here, he can see how a similar approach applies to him. Fortunately for him, he doesn’t look Vantha at all, and for this reason he’s been able to avoid the bounty that’s actually on his head simply for existing. And he’s here in Sunberth anyway, just like Moritz, when there’s clearly an entire swath of land where he by definition would be in far less danger.

Those eyes are still pretty unnerving, though.

And hard to look away from.

The topic of Moritz’ mother calling ghosts – that was the word Moritz had used, call – gives Caspian pause.

“Admittedly, I don’t really understand ghosts either,” Caspian says, after taking in the explanation of soulmist. And the gears in his head are turning, and the more sensible part of him can feel that perhaps this is a mistake. But he asks anyway. “Does everyone leave behind a ghost? I’ll guess the answer is no, just because it’s not something one hears about or sees every day. But what conditions would it take? Is there a way to find out? And if one was calling one – would we have to be in the same physical location as the moment of death? Because – “ And he’s speaking rapidly again, but from a new kind of intrigue and trepidation. He’s careening, he can tell, with a cliffside right in view. “My mother died here, in Sunberth, some years past. It was when I wasn’t here, but in – ah, let’s just say it wasn’t here. I missed those final moments. I missed all of those final years. She might have died of old age, because she was a Kelvic too, and her sort didn’t live very long. But things always seemed fishy, and I always wondered if maybe my stepmother – well. You can imagine. And, if you’re saying that it’s possible that I might be able to communicate with her and get the truth, then maybe…”

Then maybe – what?

Is this the closure he’s been looking for all along?

He already knows how horrible his stepmother is; would having the truth outright, at this point, so many years after Kharis’ death, really do him any good?

“Sorry, I just let myself run my mouth. As I said, I don’t know how any of this works, so forgive me for sounding foolish.”

The matter of a building being a living thing is a shocking enough topic for him to momentarily divert from the memories of his mother.

He can’t help but flick his eyes up to the ceiling, as if expecting a beast to come down with maw outstretched, and swallow him whole.

Could he bolt out the door if needed?

“Er. This is… safe, right? Being in here? Living things, well. They all have feelings and opinions, don’t they? …how do we know we aren’t offending it? I mean, for all we know we could be stepping right on its bladder. And if someone stepped on mine I don’t think I’d be too pleased about it. And you call it a newborn – and newborns are fussy, aren’t they? And constantly hungry, and – “ He cuts himself off with another uncertain laugh.

Reflexively, he scans the house again, as if expecting to see it warp into something that can tear him to shreds.
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on August 2nd, 2023, 1:34 am

The more Moritz explained things, the more the Kelvic was left wondering if what he was experiencing now was how others had felt when he had been taught while young. He had often gone off track, misunderstood things, and been confused. He was now seeing much of the same with Caspian, seeing him quite often make odd assumptions from what he had said and misunderstand things he thought were clear. In the end, thinking on this, Moritz wondered if this was due to his own failings as a teacher or Caspian's failings as a student. Or, he supposed further, a bit of both.

Eyeing the man Moritz wonders what exactly is going on in his head.

"Uh, you alright Caspian? You need a break? You wanna lie down or something? I've got extra rooms, you could borrow one of the beds for a bit if you'd like. You seem a bit... Uh... Whats the word... Frazzled? I mean, you did say you wanted to know, almost insisted it seemed like... Can't really take it back now."

Unsure what to do, in the end Moritz had offered the man a rest, but he had to continue to explain the other things he had asked about.

"Why did I leave? I'm pretty sure I explained it to you before, didn't I? I think I did... Uh, I'm trying to find my sister, that's why. I got a letter implying she was here, and needed help, possibly from her. That she was in trouble. And she's my sister. I couldn't not try to find her. So far though I haven't heard anything from anyone knowing anything about her. Not sure if they are lying, just don't know, or are the wrong people to ask."

Admittedly, Moritz knew, his reasons for coming were a bit weak, but after weighing his options in the end he felt he had to try. And all things considered, things has not gone so poorly for him.

"I spent awhile thinking about it, I didn't just decide to come on a whim. But in the end, coming was the only thing that made sense. And considering how surprised you were, I'd say I've done a good job of hiding my magic if even you didn't notice."

Smiling to himself, Moritz realized how much proof today's events were. If he had gotten by, admittedly without really using his magic in the city at all, then perhaps it was not impossible. No more than back home it had been impossible to hide... To hide... His home...

Stopping suddenly, Moritz realized something. An Arch building was rare. And rarity meant valuable. Even in Lhavit, there would be people interested in such things. But he did not recall a single time someone coming by trying to cause trouble over it. Not even when the house suddenly changed, or shifted, or added things. Thinking on this, Moritz was left to wonder what exactly the magic of an Arch structure entailed.

"Ah... Wait... So what... Yeah, I did not even think about it. So yeah, I'll admit, I don't know that much about Arch structures. The deeper bits of their magic, of what they do, is still a mystery to me. I know what Infinity told me, and what I thought to ask but... Yeah how did no one ever notice Infinity back home... I mean she petching added parts to herself, moved doors, did odd things, and we never once had a nosy neighbor coming by asking what the petch was going on. Or someone trying to steal bits. Which,,, Now that I think on it, is kinda weird... Maybe that has something to do with how they work. Although, I'm not really sure in what way. But something is odd about that."

Thinking more to himself but talking out loud Moritz tried to ponder things out, but in the end was forced to move on with things. The conversation was moving at pace, and Caspian seemed nearing his end point before his head explored, or so it seemed to the Kelvic.

"I don't think that is how ghosts work Caspian. Not everyone who dies turns into one. If they did, they would be everywhere. I'm not sure what exactly lets a ghost be a ghost, but... Well, now that I think on it... All of the ones I've met were pretty driven. And focused. They all had something they were keen on doing. Like playing. Or finding a certain someone. Or killing a certain someone. Some good, some bad arguably. But... All had a clear goal. I don't know about your mother, but if you have not seen her around, and she's been gone this long, likely she has passed on with Dira. When my mother called ghosts, I mean she drew them to her. But they already existed, and were out there, having died and remained on as ghosts. When I say she calls them, its more like... Putting out dinner, and the smell attracting people, sort of. It doesn't create diners out of nothing, it just calls one that exist already nearby to come to you."

When Caspian once more grew nervous, this time about the house itself, Moritz let out a sigh before responding. At some point he had spent long enough examining Caspian that he was fairly sure he had gotten his djed signature down, and would recall it if he saw it again. Which had been his main goal for this first examination. With that done Moritz focused on the djed in his eyes, and willed it to recede, sending his glowing eye markings of an Iraso fading back to normal.

"Yes Caspian, its safe. For one, Arch buildings don't eat things, or food, let alone people. They eat... Wait what did Infinity say... Oh right. Infinity said Archi mages feed them djed through their connection. That is how they speed up so to speak. I guess besides that, they slowly grow over time, but the main or fast way is Archi mages. But seeing as I'm new to this, I don't actually know how to do that at all... So... I'm stuck with just trying to figure things out and try to talk to this place, until I get good enough to help her grow. But even then, once full grown, she wouldn't be eating people. All Archi structures need is land to spread out across, and Archi mages to interact and help them. I am pretty sure of that, from having grown up in one, and also from what Infinity said. And this place isn't even done taking over the entire structure, its certainly not ready to do things like grow or expand or move stuff."

Seeing Caspian grow ever more erratic, Moritz sighs once more and strokes his fingers through his hair.

"Look, are you sure you don't want to lie down? I haven't actually gotten a chance to give you a tour, but like I said we've got extra bedrooms. Maybe we can talk more after you have had a chance to digest and rest a bit. Hmmm? Just, no go telling people any of this, especially about the magic and the living house, okay? "

WC: 1,202
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Caspian on August 3rd, 2023, 1:42 pm

Had Kharis been, as Moritz put it, goal-driven? Enough to leave a semblance of herself behind after her death?

Here lies so much of the source of his feeling foolish. The last time he had seen his mother he had been seven years old. Seven. The last time he’d seen his father, he was twelve. By the time he was sixteen, in Sunberth, the memory of his father’s face had begun to blur, and what was left were the little things – the cracks in the worn skin of his hands, his booming laugh, the creasing in his leather boots as they rested at the foot of his bed at night. The gap of time since his last moments with his mother is even wider – what could possibly be left there to hold on to?

“You’re right,” he says to Moritz, following him to another room. His embarrassment is growing, only overtaken by his hesitation towards the very premises around him. “You’re right, it was a bit of a leap on my part. No doubt I would have come across her at this point. Just the other day I was poking through her old bedroom. Which has been my stepmother’s for years. My stepmother Zhassel would say something, surely, if Kharis were haunting…” He trails off, feeling all at once exhausted. In his pursuit of his sudden, very overwhelming thoughts, he had chased a rabbit, over dales and through rivers, and it had brought him nowhere. This is why he shoves any thoughts of his mother away when they arise, why he tends to twist the lid to that bottle very tightly. What good does it do him to speculate over times long gone?

The bed is perfectly nice, entirely serviceable. So very Moritz. “Built yourself a little palace, have you?” he says, having noted that this isn’t the only extra bedroom. But though he says it lightly, as is his wont, his voice has a distinct edge of tiredness. “I won’t tell anyone, don’t worry. You didn’t even have to ask, but it’s good you did. It’s good to understand each other.” Perhaps he ought to mention that it’s more than zero percent possible that Taalviel is now aware of this place; she covertly monitors his movements often enough. Maybe she’s followed him here. But from the outside, could one accurately piece together the impossibilities going on within?

What a long day he’s had, he realizes. The clamor and iron stench of the Blood Pits seem a lifetime ago, yet he knows he carries it with him now, as if he can still feel the ringing in his ears of the crowd and clashing steel, as if viscera that had been spilled still clings to his skin like macabre perfume.

“I don’t know why I’m so bothered,” Caspian murmurs as his eyes flutter shut. “Not like my mother had any chance of being alive today. Thank you, by the way, for this. Don’t fret, I’ll be out of your hair soon enough. Gods, what a day this has been.”

The sheets are rough but comforting beneath him. Willing his eyes to fully shut, he focuses next on his breathing, searches for calm.

Hopes the house likes him.
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Previous