[Moritz Residence] The Training Room [Moritz]

Caspian wakes in a very strange abode.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Caspian on August 24th, 2023, 1:57 pm

1 Summer 523

The dreams Caspian shakes himself awake from are disturbing ones. They’re somewhat lucid, insofar as he’s vaguely aware they’re based on memories, of his fretting over finding out Moritz’s house is – hold your breath – alive. In his dreams the conversations continue. They’re not particularly insightful or elucidating; they can’t be, for he’s barely comprehended what Moritz has just told him, and there’s no way for him to supply himself with information he simply doesn’t have.

So his brain supplies him with what he does know. Kind of. When he was a child in Avanthal, the aunties had him all manner of stories – in his adulthood, clearly retrospectively false – meant to keep him in line. They had spoken of a great white bird with searing red eyes, talons massive enough to encircle a yak, and a screech so powerful it could shatter glaciers, that would swoop down and swallow him whole if he wasn’t careful. He supposes, now, that it was merely a ploy to keep him from wandering too far from the Hold alone. But the idea had stuck in his mind, even all these years, today melding with his fear that he’s lying right in the jaws of Moritz’s house, and that it might gulp him down.

He hasn’t told anyone this, but there’s a whole narrative his childhood mind had devised that sticks to him to this day – the most terrifying part of being swallowed alive by the fictional bird was emerging from the other end, inexplicably as an egg, that he then has to claw his way out of, or risk suffocation.

But when he wakes, thankfully, there’s no bird nor eggshells in sight, his throat de-constricts, and the house looks conspicuously just like any other. He sits up, pulls himself out of bed. Moritz is gone. That’s a relief; he wouldn’t have put it past the at times rather odd Kelvic to have sat in the corner and watched him all the while.

The hallway is empty too. Holding his breath, he strains his ears. It’s peculiarly quiet; usually one can at least hear a bird or two chirping outside. But they’re far from the city proper, and he supposes that what accounts for most of the tomblike silence. No carriages, no horses, no vagrants or scuffles out in the streets. Still, it’s a bit unusual he can’t even hear Moritz. Has the Kelvic left entirely? Does he trust Caspian that much? Perhaps he’s simply too far from Moritz to sense him; perhaps the quality of the walls here is high enough that any obvious sounds are muffled.

Out of curiosity, he quietly wanders towards the back of the house, parts he hasn’t yet seen.

The room he emerges into is larger than he expects. In the center stand wooden dummies, and the in the corner lie weapons both for practice and in-real-time stabbing of foes.

He marvels at the space around him. It’s simple but well-constructed, and entirely serviceable. No small feat, to put this all together. The dummies look a lot sturdier than the bound piles of rotten wood he’d grown up using. Drawing his dagger, he approaches one of the dummies, giving it an experimental slice.

Word count: 533
Last edited by Caspian on August 28th, 2023, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caspian
Player

Words: 718261
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on August 25th, 2023, 12:26 am

1 Summer 523 Continued

Once Caspian had laid down for his rest, Moritz had returned to wandering the house. Unsure what to do or how long he would be resting, he tried to keep busy by looking about at things.

First he headed to the kitchen, taking some time to look more closely at what all was inside. There was the cooking equipment, the sort of which he was familiar enough with from other restaurants he had worked at. There was also the cooking equipment, which he went through one by one. Pots. Pans. Knives for cutting, peeling, and scraping. All other manner of common tools he would need to cook. Beyond that though, in regards to actual ingredients, the place was not yet well stocked.

Mentally reminding himself to stock up, perhaps at the Sunberth market... Or more likely at the Outpost where he trusted the food and ingredients more, he let out a sigh. In the cupboard was some salt, flour, and off to the side there was a barrel of clean water. Enough to perhaps make some flat bread, but not much else.

Having gone through things Moritz headed back out of the kitchen, through the training room and on into his main place of rest in his cottage. Looking over at the windowsill he recalled the piece of wood brought from Lhavit. The same piece that had been used to infuse or infect the place so it became an Arch structure. So far he had sensed nothing from it, no reaction at all, but he had spent a good bit of time trying to talk with it and hoping for a response.

While he had asked Infinity a lot of questions before leaving, he had not nailed down many things. Such as how long it would take for the place to awaken. Days? Seasons? Years? He was unsure. Once more he tried to connect with it, willing feelings of love towards the structure, and also willing some of his djed to help foster the places growth. He focused his mind, staring at the windowsill, and tried to shift his djed into their connection... But as before there was no reaction at all.

Letting out another sigh Moritz went to lay down across his bed to rest a bit, unsure how long it had been since Caspian had laid down. But before he could fully rest Moritz heard a sound, heard a door opening and closing in the connected room. His eyes turning Moritz figured it was Caspian having woken, and made to reenter the central training area. As he did he saw the man in action, tossing about a blade up close to his target.

However rather than aiming at the straw targets meant for ranged attacks with real weapons, he instead seemed to be attacking one of the training dummies. These are meant for close up combat, using hands or training weapons, not live blades with sharp edges which will leave cuts and marks.

"Hey, I just got those, don't go hacking them up!"

Letting out a mild huff of annoyance Moritz headed over to where Caspian was, eying the man and his dagger he had pulled out.

"If you want to train feel free, but use training weapons! Or use real ones on the straw targets over there! Straw is easy to replace and refill. Full training dummies made of wood less so."

Seeing Caspian had a dagger drawn Moritz went off to the racks of training weapons, pulling out a pair of wooden training daggers. Heading back over Moritz showed Caspian these, eyeing the man.

"I've used daggers a few times, but I'm still new to it. Not quite as skilled at it as I am with Unarmed. But I would not mind some practice. And hey if you want to try practicing throwing daggers, I can go fetch mine. I bought some awhile back to practice with. I just used a tree, but surely a proper target would help better with training your aim. Ah, have you used a throwing dagger before? They are a little different from a normal one, but better for throwing."

If Caspian took the offered training dagger and put away his real one Moritz would take on a ready stance, hoping to get some sparring in.

WC: 715
Moritz Craven
Player

Words: 1102948
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Caspian on August 28th, 2023, 3:00 pm

The sound of Moritz’s voice makes Caspian jump. As a consequence, he whiffs the strike he’d just begun to deal the dummy. Which, it seems, is for the best. The dummy is dealt a much shallower scar thanks to the distraction, and Caspian looks back sheepishly at its owner.

“Aren’t they for hacking? Alright, never mind me. Your house, your rules. They’re a lot nicer than the ones I had as a kid. Okay, I see now that should have been my first clue that I ought to be treating these differently. Sorry about that.” He eyes the dent in the wood. “What’s left of my old dummies is still scattered in my stepfather’s backyard. I remember the blue rope.” Being back in Sunberth entails one jarring experience after another, uncovering places that in many ways bear not enough change from when he’d run away years ago.

That has him wondering - how long has he been away from Ravok now? A little fistful of years. If he were to find himself there now, would he discover that things have stood stiller than he feels they should have? Is remaining static just the way of the world? Does Saticath still live in that apartment across from the – ah, what was it called? The Plaza of Dark Delights, tending to the aesthetic needs of the hosts and hostesses employed there? Does Thance still live in the side annex of his parents’ manse, and haul their ceramic goods and pottery weekly to the trading post on the southern section of the lake? The lives of what were his closest friends, he feels sure even without seeing, have gone on without him. It worries him that he’d momentarily forgotten the name of the Plaza – how does the name of a place one has passed through so many times suddenly slip from one’s mind? – but perhaps that’s just the way of the world too.

These thoughts flash through his mind, causing him to pause for a moment before accepting the wooden dagger Moritz offers him. But it’s probable that Moritz only sees what would be considered a fairly normal moment of hesitation, and not the storm of mostly grim thoughts churning underneath.

It weighs a lot less than his Obfuscate dagger, which he tucks into his jacket. This isn’t a surprise in the slightest, but the disparity is jarring all the same. As he tests the weight of the training weapon, giving it an experimental slice through the air, he replies – “Oh, I’m no good with throwing daggers. I have to say, as a kid the concept didn’t appeal to me much. I mean, throwing your weapon? Away? Meaning you have less weapons than you did before, and also possibly it’s within the enemy’s reach? Provided, you know, that you didn’t sink it into their gut and end it there. No, I’d much rather keep it in hand where it belongs.” He hacks at the dummy, enjoying the sound of wood clashing on wood and how it rings through the room.

Suddenly, he pivots sharply, meeting Moritz’s ready stance, knifepoint aimed at his chest. “I challenge you, Moritz, for possession of the house and all contained within its walls!” he exclaims grandly. “Let there be no survivors – let the lone victor crown himself lord of all he – “ He breaks out laughing, dropping his arm and the valorous knight of a character he’d just put on. “I’m kidding. Let’s spar for real. And just to be clear” – he remembers how combat practice had gone between them last time - “I’m no expert at this.” Though he can tell, from observing the somewhat unsure way Moritz is holding his training dagger, that here he might actually have the upper hand.

Giving them both a chance to ready themselves, he pauses, then raises his dagger in a typical defensive stance. “You go first. Avenge your training dummy and gut me like I deserve.”

Hopefully Moritz can tell he’s somewhat joking, and he won’t end up with a stomach full of splinters.
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on August 28th, 2023, 9:24 pm

Looking with concern, Moritz examined the dummy more closely where the man had hit it, letting out a small huff of air for effect. While he did not think the man was going to ruin it with a single swing of his blade, the dummy was also not meant to be marred up with live weapons.

"Caspian, why do you think this room is full of training weapons. Padding. Training gear and armor... Its to use them! Not to go cutting up stuff with a live blade you brought on your own. These are meant either for unarmed training, which isn't going to mark them up much, or dummy weapons used for training purposes. Unless you wanna keep paying the costs to have the things replaced every fortnight."

Walking over Moritz pointed at the archery target, poking it softly with one of the training weapons.

"This on the other hand, the clothe target stuffed with hay, is used for ranged weapons training. You know rather than against people. With it, its meant to be used with live weapons. Arrows. Throwing daggers. The like."

Looking back over to meet the mans eyes, Moritz let out yet another sigh. It was an affect he seemed to be enjoying putting on, even if he was overdoing it a bit.

Once the man took the offered training weapon, Moritz gave him a bit of space, assuming he would want to spar and that taking up some space would be a good idea as a first step in the process. However he finds himself pausing in thought once more, in response to Caspian's own thoughts on ranged weapons.

"Well, if you don't know how to do it, seems it would be a good idea to practice. I can bring out my live ones later if you want to try. You know, if you want to try it when you messing it up doesn't mean getting gutted. Just in case. I don't really use daggers much, I'm more confident in my unarmed fighting, but I've practiced both throwing them and the variant made for it, along with using them in melee combat with the variant meant for that. Seems the solution to your problem is solved easily enough though, just buy more of them. Just to start off I bought two of the normal melee type daggers, and two of the ranged throwing daggers. And I can always buy more. And honestly, if someone is skilled enough to catch a dagger I throw at them and use it back at me, I was gonna lose that fight either way no matter which type I was using."

Thinking on things Moritz motioned about with his training dagger, eying it and then Caspian's in turn.

"I figure if I need to I would just toss out the ranged ones real quick in a fight, and hope to land a hit. And whether that fails or succeeds, I would use the time and distraction to get in close and then use the melee ones. Seems simple enough. And assuming I live, I can just collect them all afterwards. I'd rather spend some extra money and carry around a few extra weapons, rather than die because I cheaped out."

Now facing off against Caspian, Moritz paused and regained his ready stance, blade holding hand out front while his other arm was tucked into his side. While not totally sure how good of a stance he had, all the same he tried at it and worked to protect himself should the man come at him.

For a moment the Kelvic considered his words, thinking he was actually serious. Without thinking he began to plan his response, should the man prove to be serious. For he was not one to go dying quietly. Toss the training weapon at the man, to slow him down. And in the meantime he would both activate his sand gauntlet, and his Evantia... And then he would come at the man swinging, and try to take him down quick in a grapple while trying to disarm him using his gauntletted hand...

As he was thinking on this, and the intent perhaps began to show in his eyes, Caspian finally made clear he was joking. The Kelvic simply made a strained smile back at the human, not able to fake a laugh, realizing how quick he had been to make a plan and how close he had been to taking things seriously when he sensed a threat.... It left the Kelvic wondering even more how much of an impact Sunberth had left on him, or if he had always been like that. But then, thinking back, he had killed before even coming to Sunberth when he felt he was in danger and wanted to live.

Letting out a breath he had not realized he had been holding, Moritz eyed the human closely. How he held himself. How he held his weapon. His footing. Where in the room he was. Trying to observe and strategize, as his masters of arms had taught him before.

With a sudden motion Moritz came at the man, starting off simply enough. Trying to use his extra reach he came in with a thrust, aimed at the mans gut. Whether that failed or not he would follow up with a swipe from the side, aiming to hit him next in the area just below his armpit. Nothing about it was complex or nuanced, just a simple series of attacks.

WC: 915
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on August 29th, 2023, 2:24 pm

“I follow you, Moritz,” Caspian said in response to the Kelvic’s thoughts on throwing daggers, “but not everyone has enough disposable cash to see just buying more as a solution.” Though, frankly – Caspian did have a considerable stash of gold that would make actually make Moritz’s strategy a viable one for him. A simple sense of self-preservation kept him quiet, though. He couldn’t conceive of a situation in which brazenly admitting that information – that he was significantly and in some ways disgustingly better off than most of the denizens in this city – would benefit him. Good sense had also kept him, against his nature, from dressing conspicuously well though he finally had the means to. “To each their own, anyway,” he goes on. “You’ve clearly got a handle on yourself and what works for you.” Maybe whatever Moritz did for work made more than he estimated. But anyone who had spent five minutes in Sunberth would doubt what one would consider honest work was particularly lucrative. But there were many things he didn’t know about Moritz – and even the things he knew, he found puzzling – so he left his speculation at that.

The tension emanating from Moritz had grown to a palpable degree. This wasn’t the first time Caspian had witnessed something of the kind from the Kelvic; he sure did take things petching seriously. Though, Caspian had to privately admit, it was one of the reasons he liked teasing him. “I’ll get you to laugh someday,” Caspian said with a sigh. “The kind of laugh that starts from your toes and gives you a stomachache. Bet you’ve never laughed so hard you cried, right? I highly recommend it. It does a lot to loosen up the system.” He watched Moritz carefully, though he was hiding what he maintained was a healthy level of apprehension behind an air of casualness, rolling his shoulders back and tilting his head from side to side to stretch out his neck.

Moritz’s attacks came sooner and swifter than he anticipated. All at once he was reminded of how much taller the Kelvic was than him – maybe, from a glance, half a foot? The way the Kelvic loomed, it sure felt like an entire one – and that difference was one he could never bridge. “I was kidding about gutting!” Caspian exclaimed, letting out a bark of a laugh in disbelief as he swung downwards, knocking Moritz’s blade to the side. “Can’t you take a joke – “ Then came a sideways strike from Moritz. He should have been more ready, knowing the Kelvic’s personality, and though he dodged he couldn’t get fully out of the way, taking, from the tip of the dagger, a hot stripe of a swipe that ran parallel between his ribs.

“By the gods, you really liked that dum – “ Caspian didn’t finish his sentence, hoping that doing so would catch Moritz off guard. Shooting forward, he sliced through the air from the side, a mirror to Moritz’s last attack. He followed this quickly with another slice, this time diagonally across Moritz’s chest.
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on August 29th, 2023, 9:03 pm

Letting out a small smile, Moritz eyed Caspian as he responded about the cost of daggers, before shaking his head and responding.

"Sounds like you don't value your live enough then, if you aren't willing to invest in keeping yourself alive. I definitely am. And I mean, they aren't that expensive, we are talking a few gold mizas not buying a building. Honestly I went through almost all of my savings having this place built, so I'm pretty broke, but even I have a few coins to rub together. Enough to buy a dagger or two at least."

While Moritz was unsure how much money Caspian had, by Sunberth standards he knew he had spent a horrendous amount of money buying the land here and having the place built. Though, as Moritz thought on it, a lot of the money had not come from his wages but money he had ended up with from... Some source -possibly in Lhavit- that had been gifted to him. He was still a bit unclear on who had sent it to him, seeing as they had left no name or notes on what they expected in return if anything. Maybe it had been his mother, being secretive for some reason? Or one of his old instructors. Or perhaps even one of the rulers of Lhavit of the non divine sort who he had run into. Or perhaps even someone owing his mother a favor, and deciding to even things out by helping her son. He was unsure if any or none of these were the case, but he was not one to turn down money from his home town which seemed legitimate if a bit cloaked in secrecy.

With a frown on his face and a serious demeanor Moritz responded once more to Caspian's words, though it was unclear if he was trying to be funny and being deadpan or being serious.

"Maybe if you actually say or do something funny I will laugh, Or maybe that and when we are somewhere other than Sunberth, where loosening up means someone likely trying to gut you. I have no plans to die...."

Leaving unsaid at the end, Mortiz thought to himself, "Again", as he had no plans to die once more after his prior times doing so. A part of his response, Moritz had to admit to himself, was him being serious. After all if the man had taken the "joke" he was making a bit farther Moritz would have been liable to attack with serious intent. He did not want to harm Caspian, but if it was him or the human, he would choose himself. He knew that well enough about himself. Right around the time or perhaps a bit before he lost a hand and had his throat sliced opened.

When Moritz launched into his attack, starting with the gut thrust, Caspian countered, swinging downward to knock his blade away. The quick contact of the collision of the blades scent a bit of tingling into his hand, but the Kelvic quickly worked to overcome this. When he came from the side Caspian did not do so well, attempting to dodge back out of the way but not quite moving in time and taking a grazing strike.

Focused mainly on the mans actions, and only secondarily on his words, Moritz did not really notice the verbal attempt at trickery, though it was a bit of subterfuge that would perhaps work one someone not Moritz. Still all the same even with his focus totally on the task at hand Moritz was outmatched in skill despite both of them being new to the weapon, and so was not quite able to move his blade as well as the more trained man in dagger usage. First he came at him with a slice at the side, which Moritz tried to repeat Caspians on response by swinging upward. This one managed to send the blow wide by a good margin, and making it miss. The second his though aimed as a slice across his chest Moritz was less sure how to respond to. With no other idea he tried to hold his blade across in a blocking gesture. However when Caspians strike struck his weapon though it did not hit Moritz it sent the training weapon flying right out of the Kelvics hand as he lost his grip.

Without thinking further Moritz fell back onto his better skills in avoidance and diving, to get away. Suddenly backpedalling he took two steps back and then dove away from Caspian across the floor in a simple roll. His aim however was to recover his lost weapon, and he almost managed to grasp his fallen weapon mid roll and came out with it... But failed, touching the weapon with the tips of his fingers but not quite managing to grasp it.

With a bit of chagrin Moritz popped back to stand and turned to face Caspian, while bending and slowly picking back up his lost weapon.

If Caspian came at him again before he had a chance to recover his weapon Moritz would dive away again to keep out of range, but if he waited to grow near till he had returned Moritz would aim another slash at the mans chest once he approached.

Regardless in their short spar Moritz had already realized something. With daggers it was much easier to be on the offensive than it was being on the defensive.

WC: 911
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on August 30th, 2023, 1:54 pm

The first slice Caspian had taken across the ribs was making itself known. Just the few strikes they had dealt between them was enough to send some amount of adrenaline through his system, dulling the brunt of it, but he was increasingly conscious of the blow he’d taken, and with resignation accepted that it was going to be a sore spot for at least the next few days. Given how little natural padding he had on his body, being struck in any way always seemed to do even more damage, as if he were as frail as a paper lantern. He tried to hide his wincing, though, and the fact he was ruminating on it this deeply.

That he had knocked the weapon right out of Moritz’s hand shocked him. Were this a situation of actual life and death, he would have dove forward immediately, and cut Moritz down, taking full advantage of the opportunity he’d created. But this, for all intents and purposes, was little more than a game to him – and an educational one, which was a bonus – and he merely straightened up and stretched as he watched Moritz retrieve his weapon.

“You have a point, I see here, about the throwing daggers,” he said good-naturedly. “Imagine if I had one on me right now, and I was at least a little bit competent. You’d be skewered.” Though Moritz had just demonstrated yet again how decent he was at rolling and dodging. For someone that tall, he was remarkably light on his feet.

The next slash from Moritz was less frightful than what he’d experienced at the very beginning of their sparring. Not because he perceived that Moritz was putting any less force into the blow – Caspian had just settled into the nature their present situation, and having been, now, on the receiving end of an attack from Moritz several times, there was a growing sense of familiarity. Nevertheless, as he blocked the slash by throwing his dagger hand up, momentarily forming a perpendicular x with their two weapons, the strength of Moritz’s output was enough to send what felt like sparks of lightning down to his elbow. In another scenario he would have, possibly, pushed forward with their weapons still locked. Tried to back his opponent into a corner or wall, and reached into his jacket for Obfuscate, and jabbed it right into his opponent’s side. But the designated limits of their sparring session aside, if it was someone like Moritz on the other end of actual combat, he very well might not have done that at all. For it was like trying to slide his dagger into brick – as if Moritz was a wall that he simply wasn’t going to be able to pass.

It wouldn’t be force, then, that won him this bout. And lingering in extremely close quarters might not do him any good either. With this in mind he stepped back. Feinted left, then swiftly stepping to the right, slashing sideways at Moritz as if he intended to deal him the same wound in kind.
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on August 30th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Caspian, seeming in this moment patient, gave Mortiz the chance to recover his lost blade. Clearly if this had been a real battle the man would have taken advantage of it, but likewise Moritz was not acting as he would in a real fight and was holding back by limiting himself to only his dagger as a weapon.

Watching Caspian closely he began to notice small things about how he moved, such as realizing he was carrying his torso gingerly. Had perhaps his first accidental blow that had landed actually hurt Caspian more than Moritz had realized? He had not gone full force as this was just a spar, but between his power and size his blows did carry more weight and force behind them... It was another thing Moritz had realized over the course of their spar. Caspian seemed more familiar with a dagger as a weapon. Moritz on the other hand had a small edge on power, and a bigger edge in terms of stamina. He was not even really winded yet from their exertions, having trained his endurance over seasons, but Caspian seemed to be feeling the fatigue of his efforts. Which meant he was better at taking blows and keeping active than the human...

"Maybe so, but who says I would do the same if you came at me with a real dagger. You know, if you ever want to train with me, feel free to come by or ask. One of my old sparring partners showed me some stuff, which has helped me build up stamina. Mostly running. That and getting knocked around by people way stronger than me has helped me with learning how to take a hit. Mainly you just have to keep getting up after you get knocked on your rear."

Once he had recovered Moritz moved in with a single slash, using it as an opening move to reengage their conflict. But while the man was growing more tired, he was also examining Moritz in turn and seemed to be getting a better grasp on his limited skills.

This time when Moritz made his attack Caspian simply blocked the blow, not bothering for anything fancy like before. For a bit they bore down on each other, and Moritz superior strength favored his effort. However this did not last forever, and soon enough Caspian stepped back only to reengage again. This time he came at him, Moritz throwing up his dagger to block the blow, only for him to realize too late that it had been a feint.

Moritz, not able to move his dagger in time, was able to get up his guard at least, bringing up his arm and twisting his body. This resulted in him taking the hit not to the side as Caspian had intended but instead took the hit on his shoulder. The blow stung, making Moritz taken in a hiss of air in pain, but he was able to power through all the same.

Not letting up, he used his other arm that was holding the training dagger to attack again, making a series of wild slashes at Caspians torso. One, two, three, he swung the blade while trying to move in closer. And then as the end of the third swing of his blade he brought the weapon back around and made a charging blow of a thrust aimed at Caspians guts.

His other arm still hurt from the blow, but it was not enough to stop him and so he was able to power through to keep on the offensive.

WC: 596
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Caspian on September 1st, 2023, 2:57 pm

“Given the number of times I was knocked upside the head as a kid, it’s a wonder my skull isn’t made of steel,” Caspian replied genially. Moritz’s description of their own combat training sounded a lot more pleasant in comparison, but perhaps the Kelvic is just being polite.

“I appreciate the offer,” Caspian said. Reflex and instinct had him blithely noncommittal, but the more he considered it, the more appealing the idea of coming over to train with Moritz seemed. He could use some regularity in his life; he could definitely stand to get better at daggerwork, and while the concept of being knocked about was not one he wanted to run towards, it might just end up saving his life down the road if he was able to take a serious hit and not immediately fold. If the offer had come from someone else – namely, not the brashly straightforward young man before him – he might have found it fairly suspicious. For one, it seemed that it was being offered freely. Which, especially in this slime pit of a town, was not something that occurred very often. But Moritz wasn’t from said town, and they at this point had known each other for a fair bit of time.

The feint worked. Kind of. Though Caspian could sense he held greater prowess at this particular mode of combat, it still shocked him to see his blade connect with any part of Moritz’s body, and in this case was appeared to be a fairly serious way. But despite the audible damage he’d caused, Moritz didn’t relent, and the series of attacks he dealt had Caspian frantically backpedalling. The slashes came so swiftly that Caspian nearly tripped over his own feet in his haste to move away. After the third slash – thank the Gods he had the opposite of a gut, or Moritz would have connected for sure – he planted himself squarely on both feet.

Only for Moritz to throw in a fourth, right on the third’s heels.

He really should have seen it coming; it might have easily been predicted that Moritz had the stamina to sustain this many attacks in a row. Moritz probably had it in him to do twice as many – something else to watch out for, perhaps. But Caspian had grown comfortable in the fact that this was a training room, too at ease with the relative lightness of the wooden pommel in his hand. So when the fourth came – a skewering bull of a stab – he wasn’t entirely ready. He did see the motion – hard not to, with how far back Moritz had to bring his elbow – but his mind moved faster than his body could. The dodge he tried to perform manifested halfway – jerkily, awkwardly, resulting in Caspian taking the stab to his bottommost right rib.

Pain exploded in his side. Swearing profusely, he fell backwards, slamming painfully into the floor.

“Oh petching hell,” he managed to gasp out, grimacing and trying to haul himself onto his feet. “I’d hate to be your enemy.” Moritz hadn’t given up when the weapon was knocked out of his hand; neither would he, though he felt like a flattened bug. If Moritz were to charge he would throw his dagger up and do his best to block the blow – but he hoped very much that the Kelvic would grant him the same courtesy moment to find his breath and bearings again.
Caspian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Moritz Craven on September 2nd, 2023, 1:16 pm

Considering his own training in the past, Moritz was left to wonder on Caspian's tutelage. While he had been hit a lot in training, on the legs, arms, torso, he had rarely been hit in the head. His teachers for the most part had known it was training and hadn't really attempted that. That being said, perhaps due to his Kelvic nature as an Okomo Moritz had always been pretty hard headed...

Still, it seemed when he offered further training with the man he was at least taking it seriously. Moritz wouldn't have offered it if he did not mean it, and perhaps Caspian realized the truth of his offering.

As their sparring continued though it seemed to get more intense and at least on Moritz side less focused. While Moritz was quite energetic with his attacks, finesse or skill did not describe them. Still with their raw power and ferocity they did seem to have some kind of effect.

Of course, that had been part of Moritz intent, to scare the man off and win with raw force and intimidation rather than actual skill. At his current level he knew it was his only hope. And so he went with what he felt might have a chance. It also didn't help that he had seemingly shrugged off a good solid hit and kept coming, which would catch most people off guards. Of course in this case Moritz was taking advantage of the facts of the bout, knowing they were using practice weapons and not real ones. If he had been hit by a real weapon in that way he would have been seriously hurt even if he could push through the greater pain to keep acting. As it was he barely managed to do so with the weaker hit of the wooden weapon, let alone what a real dagger would have done. It still hurt all the same, his arm in pain and throbbing, perhaps enough to leave a bruise but not much more likely, but he was still able to pretend it didn't affect him while gritting through the pain.

It was enough to send Caspian jumping back and trying to get away, but more out of Moritz overbearing presence than actual dagger skills. The human quickly moved away, trying to get out of range of the mad swipes, only to plant his feet and prepare to strike... Right as Moritz made one more made thrusting attack with his weapon. As this last strike came in, Moritz felt a bit of... Rightness, about it. Like he had by chance got his timing just right, and moved just how he should. Not completely focused on it but instead on the action of the thrusting he was less than sure, but it had felt... Different, somehow. As quick as it came though it was gone, and the feeling was lost. So faint was it though that Moritz was unsure if he had imagined it or it had been real.

When the somewhat lucky blow landed Caspian fell on his rear, a bit more severely than Moritz had earlier. Still recovering from his own wound Moritz rubbed at the spot where he had been hit, trying to massage the area while watching Caspain. He did not strike while he was down, instead giving him a chance to rest as the man had before for him.

"Ah, sorry about that, I may have gone a bit too intense there... Oh, hey why don't you rest for a bit, and I'll go fetch those throwing daggers I mentioned before. We can round off our training with a bit of those. It would at least give you a chance to try it out, see how it works rather than in a real life or death situation. It does take some practice to do it, its not quite the same as using a dagger in a normal way."

While Caspian rested Moritz raced off to his room, coming back shortly with a pair of steel throwing daggers. He also ran off to the training weapons and returned with four wooden training versions of those throwing daggers. They were a bit lighter and more streamlined than normal daggers, clearly made for throwing and not meant for melee combat, but were still daggers basically. Moving over to were the target was in range Moritz set the weapons on te ground, before turning to Caspian and handing him a wooden training throwing dagger.

"Here why don't you try this. Just to get a feel for it. It handles differently, right? I'll try a few throws, then we can gather them up and you can try."

Using the two metal daggers, one held in each hand, Moritz eyed the target and tried to get his spacing. Taking on a sideways form with his arms pointed out to the side towards the target, he held the dagger by the hilt... Motioning a few times he aimed down the dagger, checked for where he wanted to go... And then threw it, aiming for the center of the target. Watching the blade fly through the air he watched... As it barely clipped the edge of the target and sort of stuck but only partially.

With a sigh Moritz went over and fetched the weapon, returning with the two live weapons for throwing.

"Well, not exactly that, but you get the gist."

WC: 899
Moritz Craven
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes