Returning to the Waves (Milya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 3rd, 2011, 12:42 am

Timestamp: 8th of Spring, 511 AV

After being in Syliras for over half a season Kendall still felt a bit out of place in the city. He did not seem to move with the comfort that the others did. He was more used to the flow of Zeltiva. It seemed slower in a way. He missed the sea most of all though. He had kept away from the Suvan Sea for a while but he longed for something that would remind him of Zeltiva.

The walk to the shore filled Kendall with mixed feelings. He knew the sea would not be like the one in Zeltiva. He knew he would be happy to just hear the crash of the waves though. He longed to breathe in the salt air of his childhood. He knew the reunion with the sea would be a bit bittersweet though. It was like a long lost friend. How would it treat him when he returned to it?

When he arrived at the shore a broad smile took over his face. He felt as though a part of home had nestled itself into Syliras. He walked slowly to the shore, pulling off his shoes so to not get them dirtied in the sand. "I missed you." He spoke quietly to the water as if he thought it could speak back. The crashing of the waves sounded like music to him as it took him back to Zeltiva in his mind. In this Zeltiva everything was perfect though. No one looked at him like his family had. It was just him and the sea, the area void of the scrutinzing eyes of others.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Milya on April 3rd, 2011, 1:32 am

Milya sighed while walking outside, she headed to the shore. She loved this place even though it sometimes brought up memories of her family. She'd rather stay indoors where she felt comfortable, but she did need to talk to somebody. She couldn't stay by herself forever if she wanted to go on adventures and succeed. She silently promised herself that she would talk to somebody today. When she arrived she walked down to the sea and just stared out, remembering her brother.

After she was done bringing up the past she decided to fulfill her promise. She turned towards somebody she hadn't even seen when walking to the sea, she usually didn't pay attention to things she didn't want too. She could be alert and ready at any moment though. When she was listening to somebody speak she usually would only pay attention to important words or sentences.

She simply said, "Hi, I'm Milya" and waited for his reply. While waiting she took in his appearance quickly. The thing that surprised her was his eyes, they were different colors. She smiled a bit, thinking of her own eyes.
Milya
~Milya~

Words: 12979
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 1:13 am
Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 3rd, 2011, 5:29 am

Kendall knew that the shore was open to everyone but for some reason he was a bit surprised when a girl appeared at his side. The fantasy of being back in Zeltiva slowly faded away as the foreign face came into view. He still offered a smile to the girl though. The waves had put him in a good mood and the bittersweet memories were letting his smile last a little longer than it normally would.

"Hello Milya. I'm Ken." He looked her over calmly. She seemed kind enough. He had not found himself conversing with many females since he had made it into the city. He was not sure why exactly. He thought back to his meeting with Jaelyn. She had been quite afraid of him for the simple fact that he mentioned Ravok. He decided to keep the conversation innocent. "So what brings you to the sea?" He was happy to know that someone else found it important to make their way to see the sea. It was not the same sea he had grown up with but he liked it just the same. "I grew up near the sea. Not this one though. The one in Zeltiva." He did not speak of Zeltiva so freely and so often but at the water's edge the words seemed to come easier. The sound of the waves and the smell of the sea made him somber, softening his usually tense nerves. In this somber state the words might have come out easier but he would have to watch what he said. Even if he felt close to home it did not mean his issues were gone.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Milya on April 3rd, 2011, 11:46 am

Milya was happy that she was talking to him, lately she'd been lonely. So she paid attention today, smiling at him and listening to what he said. "I came because it always makes me happier." What she said was true, often she could remember her family freely without and sadness. She nodded as he told her why he was at the sea. "Why are you in Syilras and not in Zeltiva?" She wondered about other places, she couldn't think of being anywhere but here when she was younger.

While she waited for a reply she thought about going anywhere she wanted. She'd heard of some of the places but has never seen them. She really hoped that one day she would get to go somewhere else than here. She took a quick glance back out into the sea and grinned. One day she would be somewhere else than here, smiling about all her accomplishments.
Last edited by Milya on April 5th, 2011, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milya
~Milya~

Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 4th, 2011, 1:22 pm

It was calming to know there were others who found solace in the sea. It was so calming the way it moved in and out, back and forth, keeping nature's rhythm. The fire that wrapped around his wrist was alerting him of something. The girl was mourning something. She felt alone. Kendall felt a pang of sadness although he could not comment on it. He did not know why she felt that way, only that she felt the emotions.

The topic of why Kendall left Zeltiva was a little bit of a sore spot. He did not want to talk about why he had left the sea-faring town. So far he was getting better at holding down the painful memories but he could bend the truth to make conversation. "I wanted to see the world. I had lived in Zeltiva my whole life, twenty-one years, and never left the city." He let a small, bittersweet smile form on his lips. "Strangely enough though, I have rare swam in the water. My brothers were afraid that if I went into the water by the Zeltivan docks I might get hit by an ancor or a ship, as silly as that sounds." Kendall chuckled a bit when he thought of his brothers never letting him swim. He was sure that is was less of the fact that they didn't want him hurt and more so that they didn't want sailors gawking at him (or her at the time) while he was at the seaside.

Kendall felt a bit awkward trying to question the girl about her life but for the sake of conversation he tried to muster up a few questions. "So what do you do, job-wise I mean?" She might have been too young to have a job but one never knew. He had known kids who were barely ten who worked in their fathers' shops. He had never worked a day in his life until he found himself in Syliras. He liked working at the Windmount Stables. It was calming and of course it was a perfect place to keep Dyakana, his horse. "I work at the Windmount Stables. If you ever want a riding lesson feel free to stop by. I teach a bit of riding as well as taking care of the horses." He was not sure if the girl even liked riding horses but he knew back when he was female, like her, he liked nothing more than riding in the Wildlands, even if his father had warned him not to.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Milya on April 5th, 2011, 12:24 am

Milya smiled as she listened to him talk, she hadn't even noticed before how much she missed talking to people. She could make a connection with wanting to see the world, though she hasn't left Syliras. Milya herself found it amusing that his brothers didn't let him go swimming, thinking that he would get hurt. It brought up a short memory of her begging her brother to teach her how to use a dagger, it took a day but she finally got him to show her the basics. After that he left and never came back, presumed dead. Milya felt a small pang of sadness from that memory, but nothing major. "Yes, my older brother was really protective of me too." She said it with a slight smile, still a bit lost in the memory.

The next thing he said surprised her, she hadn't really worried about money before. She used what her parents had left. She bit her lip and mentally counted the money she had left, around 100gm. "I don't have a job." She would have to get one soon though, especially if she wanted to travel. But the riding lesson made her grin, she had done it when her parents were alive, but not after they had passed. "I might have to take you up on your offer Ken" She was happy now at the thought of learning more of something.
Milya
~Milya~

Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 9th, 2011, 4:07 am

He was protective? The fact that Milya was speaking in past tense caught Kendall's attention. Usually a girl her age would say her brother is protective not was protective. He looked at her with a confused look. "Forgive me if I am prying but was? Did your brother leave Syliras?" He was a little embarassed at the question. It was quite personal. "I've heard many people in Syliras join the ranks of the knights so I guess I thought he might have gone off on a quest for them. What if her brother was dead? Kendall felt his heart drop a bit feeling a bit foolish for asking the question.

Kendall gave her a small smile. "Feel free to come over any time. I am not the best at teaching riding but I can show you the basics." He looked blankly toward the water taking short steps to the rolling wake. He halted right where the water seemed to rush over his toes. He wanted to hear his brothers call out to him. He wanted them to tell him to get out of the water. They were an entire town away now. His sister never worried much about his attempts to get in the waves. She seemed to be a step ahead of the other Saarinen children. The thoughts brought up a question and he asked it before he had time to ponder whether it was appropriate. "What is your family like? I haven't seen mine in seasons." He was not looking at Milya. His eyes were focused tightly on the horizon but he was talking to the girl. "I would give anything to have them smile at me again."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Milya on April 9th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Milya then realized her mistake, she said was which brought up these questions. She quickly looked down and bit her lip, she wasn't use to talking about her family. But very quietly she said, "My brother is dead, he died... five years ago." Now that she thought of it, it was odd for him to have left in the first place. He went when he was only a little bit older than her, it wasn't a surprise that he died. Well it wouldn't of been a surprised to anyone else, but to her it was. He was somebody who couldn't be wrong in her young mind. She decided that for now it would be best if she didn't bring up painful memories, or thoughts.

She would of smiled at his kindness of teaching her to ride. But she was still in a sad mood. She looked up quickly to see him standing in the water, just enough water to cover his toes. She wondered what he was thinking about, she wasn't very good with reading people though. She suspected the questions he asked were for her. "My mother and father were kind people. They loved teaching me new things and to play with me. My mother was..." She stopped, she wasn't sure what her mother was. She knew her father was a weaponsmith, but her mothers was unknown to her. "My father was a weaponsmith. My brother left the house when I was six." She thought about it for a second on then added, "They are dead too. They died four years ago." Then she thought about what he said. "Why don't you go visit them then?"
Milya
~Milya~

Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on April 17th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Kendall's eyes shot open in embarassment. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up a painful memory for you." He felt terrible to make the girl admit that. He thought back to his broken family and he wondered what they said about him now that he was gone. Did they say he was dead now or maybe they claimed he ran away. It was all a mystery though. He would never know until he went home and right now he could not do that.

"My mother taught me a lot of things too. She was a literature scholar. She is why I got so into writing. My dad taught me about wilderness survival and a bit about animals and herbalogy." He smiled a bit thinking about them. He was mad at them. More mad than he had ever been. He still loved them with all of his heart though. He still would have done anything for them. "I'm sorry about your family. Losing them must have been terrible." Kendall's disconnection from his own family could not be decribed so easily. Not with Milya. They disowned him for reasons he did not feel like he could tell anyone. Instead, he kept his words simple. "I just can't visit them right now. It's not possible. Maybe in the future I can though. You never know what the future can bring." He wanted to go home more than anything. He wanted there to be some grand reunion with his family but there wasn't. There was just time he needed to fill before the discord cooled down.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Archon on May 13th, 2011, 3:24 am

Illumination of Development

Kendall Saarinen
  • +2 Rhetoric
  • +2 Interrogation

Lores: Calmness of the ocean, The folly of asking without thinking

Care to see more? :
Pretty much self explanatory for you experience here.

Milya
  • +2 Rhetoric

Lores: The pain of lonliness, Hiding your grief

Care to see more? :
No real explanation needed here.

Notes: A nice little start to what could have been a touching thread. :)
My posting and other AS work will be slow for the time being. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I'll try to get back up and running at full speed soon.
Archon
Luminous Herald

Words: 107090
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Staff account
Office